What Northwest beer are you drinking now? (2020)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Jan 1, 2020.

1. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,129) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Ecliptic Starburst IPA is a regular in my fridge. Tasty, affordable, and easy to find. What's not to like?

OffTrail, woemad, G_Z_a and 3 others like this.
  2. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,478) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

NOG is a nice one. My favorite beer to drink when I visit my folks in the Tri-Cities.

3. woemad

Society Trader

My 1st from Grains of Wrath and it's a nice one.
    [​IMG]
    Had to add it to the BA database. Y'all in the Portland/Vancouver area are slackin.' :wink:

66jzmstr, Reidrover, rrock44 and 4 others like this.
  4. vurt

Society

Sticking with Ferment for the next beer. This time it's Bright West IPA, the first can in their Top Ferment series of cans.

Pretty good west coast IPA here, though the Mosaic hops are upstaging the Cascades and Chinooks.

rrock44, jason_nwx, Reidrover and 2 others like this.
  5. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (4,939) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

A bottle of batch 5 anniversary saison from Upright. It's delicious.

rrock44, jason_nwx, Reidrover and 3 others like this.
  6. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,142) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

Yeah, we in the NW forum are tbe OG slackers.

Bruhski.

DefenCorps, vurt and woemad like this.
  7. woemad

Society Trader

How do you pronounce Bruhski? Like brewski, or do you go all in on the "uh" portion?

beertunes likes this.
  8. vurt

Society

Moving on to an Ex Novo Mass Ascension IPA.

Turns out that the Ex Novo production brewery down in New Mexico has been packaging Mass Ascension in 12-packs, and a few of them have found their way up here.

That's right-- 12-packs of Mass Ascension tallboys. I snagged one at the New Seasons near Orenco Station last weekend.

Mrs. vurt was most pleased. And so was I.

#1448 vurt, May 23, 2020 at 6:44 AM
    Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 6:57 AM
  9. beertunes

Society Trader

brUHski. One lone sillable.

woemad likes this.
  10. t4h2c0

t4h2c0 Initiate (88) Jun 5, 2007 Washington

I have been a Block 15 fan since day one but I remember many quality problems over the years: a couple batches of Super Nebula went sour, and when they ramped up Sticky Hands production they had problems scaling up and dialing in the recipe on their new production facility. Its all good though, if people enjoy their beer that cool.

11. t4h2c0

t4h2c0 Initiate (88) Jun 5, 2007 Washington

Wow! I just speak my mind and express my opinion. Isn’t that what forums and discussion is all about? If i say i don’t like something why am i hated on and called a troll? Whatever man, enjoy your beer.

P.S. I have followed Floodland, Cloudburst, DeGarde, Block15, and many more since day 1. I can still be a fan of a brewery even if i dont like every beer from them.

John_M, Barettes and beertunes like this.
  12. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Man, that anniversary saison really hit the spot. I'll have to grab a crowler of this year's version

@vurt , @woemad , this is for y'all.

woemad likes this.
  13. rrock44

rrock44 Disciple (346) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

did you get a growler or was it their newly released 4 packs? I as because the 4 packs were not NOG in my book. I hoping it was a bad batch and not a recipe change. My buddy grabbed a growler from Coppertop and he said it was good old NOG

my favorite beer, as well. You can find it in many establishments around town (well prior to covid). I would recommend it to everyone. Got a lot of people hooked on it (even my wife who isn’t a big beer drinker). As mentioned above, something was wrong/different the newly released cans.

I bought and reluctantly finished three 4 packs. If this is NOG, I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. I am hoping it was a bad batch.

EDIT: “bad batch” could be the wrong words here. The beer was fine to drink. It just wasn’t NOG. Make sense?

14. Superheatnsubcool

Superheatnsubcool Disciple (328) May 31, 2016 Washington

I bought a single 16 oz can. I thought it was nice but not above average, and couldn’t quite understand what all the hoopla was about it. Hopefully one day I can try it on draft.

woemad and rrock44 like this.
  15. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,593) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Your recollection is the same as mine. I also recall a couple of years when the SN was flat as well. Of course that was some years ago. I don't recall any recent problems.

#1455 John_M, May 23, 2020 at 6:50 PM
    Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 9:09 PM
  16. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Am now drinking a Pelican updrift ipa. @Reidrover. I can see why you like this so much. This is easily the best new beer I've had from Pelican in some time, and the best ipa I've had from them since their original India Pelican ale (15 or 20 years ago?). Interestingly, the abv. is the same as that beer (7.1), and I think the listed ibu's are pretty close as well (70). Canned on 5/7/20, this beer is uber fresh, which I think helps. I don't get the impression this ipa is going to age well or gracefully (but it's great right now).

It was 9.99 on sale at my local Fred Meyer, so not quite as good a deal as what @Reidrover got. Plus of course the 60 cent Oregon redemption tax. Still a pretty good deal I think for such a solid wc style ipa. I'm impressed.

I don't think I'll polish off the entire 6 pack at a sitting, but for a 7.1 % abv. IPA, this beer is dangerously drinkable.

#1456 John_M, May 23, 2020 at 9:49 PM
    Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 10:49 PM
    beertunes, woemad, rrock44 and 5 others like this.
  17. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Zealot (530) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

de Garde’s Desay A l’Orange is quite interesting. Huge orange aroma and a very thick feel. Lots of botanical gin flavors mixed with orange zest. If you don’t like gin you won’t like this!

The Georgetown Johnny Utah I had earlier was quite good - really nice pale.

18. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Per @NWer's recommendation, I'm now drinking a 2013 Otto. Holy moley! It's incredible how much this beer has evolved over the years. The moderate original tartness has almost completely resolved, leaving behind a moderately sweet beer showcasing a huge flavor of figs and chocolate. I'm getting something of a brandy, eau de vie flavor as well that is pretty intriguing.

A little bit of this goes a long way. This has evolved into quite the after dinner sipper, and is a testament to the brewing prowess of Alan Sprints. I had this beer when it was first released at the Wildwood cafe dinner pairing back in 2013, and would never have guessed it would evolve into something like this. This is very impressive.

#1458 John_M, May 23, 2020 at 10:41 PM
    Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 11:29 PM
    beertunes, woemad, sharpski and 4 others like this.
  19. ppilot

ppilot Initiate (105) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

Couple of this week's drinking notes:

Breakside Cultivating Mass coconut - really enjoyed this as it had a usual Breakside balance with all the adjuncts. Just a heads up, if you were looking for big thick imperial stout this is not it. It was remarkably light bodied which probably had to do with the fact it's an imperial Baltic Porter

Breakside/Upright Five Flavors - Spectacular as expected. For this beer Ben and Alex used an old yeast strain that was used when Ben worked part time at Upright (the strain been shelved because it's really hard to work with). Great beer for the warm weather we are getting next week.

GOW - Built for Speed - shoutout to @afrokaze for this recommendation as this is pretty much my ideal IPA (super dry west coast). Really good.

Wayfinder 6 - Their take on a mass market lager that's sold in six packs. Interestingly it appears that Wayfinder has trademarked the term Crispiness unless they were just messing around with description

woemad, afrokaze, rrock44 and 3 others like this.
  20. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Wait, they brought the de la Senne yeast strain back? I'm grinning from ear to ear and it's not because it's a beautiful day ou .

afrokaze likes this.
  21. DefenCorps

Society Trader

How does it compare to Special Herbs? A little less balanced?

22. jason_nwx

It’s been awhile, but probably. Thicker and boozier, but some similar flavors (plus orange).

DefenCorps likes this.
  23. jason_nwx

They did! Breakside’s Scott and Ben talked about it on the latest Beervana podcast.

sharpski, Reidrover and DefenCorps like this.
  24. woemad

Society Trader

Hitting Whistle Punk's Baltic Porter. Seems a straightforward traditional example, brewed with a lager yeast, as opposed to the massively overhopped booze bomb that was my last of the style (a 3 Floyd's misstep).
    [​IMG]

beertunes, rrock44, Reidrover and 2 others like this.
  25. vurt

Society

So this happened:

[​IMG]

It is dry, roasty, and satisfying, and is giving the impression there's more joy in this glass once the beer warms up a smidge. Time to settle in for a session. Cheers!

TheBungyo, beertunes, woemad and 7 others like this.
  26. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,758) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

First beer tonight in celebration that my old beat up 250k camping van came back to life..in time for the season..Skookum Murder of Crows.. I like it a tasty yet "lighter" Imperial Stout. No weird sh*t just an Impy from 10 years ago in profile!

beertunes, woemad, sharpski and 4 others like this.
  27. Reidrover

Society

woemad and vurt like this.
  28. rrock44

rrock44 Disciple (346) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

I was on the hunt for this because I was curious. Found it at Mid Columbia Wine and Spirits (used Pelican’s beer finder; according to them only spot in TC). Anyway, canned in early February. Skipped it. Bummer.

woemad and Reidrover like this.
  29. Reidrover

Society

$ 8.99 in Safeway..with da card

vurt likes this.
  30. Reidrover

Society

#2 Block 15 IPA..supposedly based on the old Alpha IPA..its good but really not their best work. Perfectly drinkable but indistinguishable from a million other IPAs.
    Alpha was better IMO

TaborTime, woemad, John_M and 2 others like this.
  31. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (551) Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Brewery

Thanks for the kind words btw. The regular Cultivating Mass might be my favorite BA beer we've done since I started at Breakside. The next year or two are gonna have a whole bunch of new and returning BA projects that I hope people will love.

32. vurt

Society

Not gonna lie: After years of drinking IPAs by the pint (and often multiple pints at a time), these imperial pints of 3.7% abv Dark Mild are hardly leaving a mark on me...

beertunes, woemad, John_M and 4 others like this.
  33. Reidrover

Society

Thats what they were originally designed for a lunch time pint of 4 for blue collar workers

34. jason_nwx

Boneyard’s Diablo Rojo was perfectly fine. I like malty reds and gad been trying to find this, but I wanted it to be better - that’s on me though.

This Breakside Cultivating Mass is really good. Lots of bourboniness (technical term), so I’m glad I bought two so one can go hide in a box for awhile.

afrokaze, rrock44, woemad and 4 others like this.
  35. Reidrover

Society

Finishing off the night with Urban Family Crucial Velocity Pilsner. Unusual and quite tasty. I just dont understand the artwork...again though it is interesting.

rrock44, vurt and woemad like this.
  36. DefenCorps

Society Trader

De Garde Bessenkriek tonigh . This is really sour cherry forward, to the point that the base beer Is obscured.

rrock44, jason_nwx, vurt and 2 others like this.
  37. vurt

Society

Nightcap: Heater Allen Zwickelbier Franconian-style Amber Lager. Quite full-bodied in comparison to the dark mild I've been enjoying tonight. Lovely amber color, slightly hazy. Toasty malt aroma and flavor with honey notes and an earthy, tea-like hoppiness. Finishes dry with a slightly astringent bitterness. Delicious. A tastier zwickelbier than the one from Ferment I drank last night.

rrock44, jason_nwx, woemad and 2 others like this.
  38. DefenCorps

Society Trader

I finished up with a can of Crusher Destroyer that was delicious

Reidrover, jason_nwx and vurt like this.
  39. beertunes

Society Trader

Worked my overnight security shift last night, then rolled right into a canning run today, and will repeat that process tonight/tomorrow. tired terry is drinking the beer we canned today Boundary Bay Waypoint Pilsner. Nice enough brew, not up to Cnut or H-A standards, but easily drinkable. 6 packs of cans will be in distro in a couple days.

40. jason_nwx

My wife and I signed up for a three-day virtual conference about all things dog-related for the holiday, so we’re sitting in front of the computer drinking a de Garde Stone Gose and learning stuff about genetics and behavior. Conference may not be for everyone but this delicious beer might be.

Reidrover, deadwolfbones and rrock44 like this.