What Northwest beer are you drinking now? (2020)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Jan 1, 2020.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,567) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Trader

I understand, that Matt Abts isn't Neil Peart (who is?) , but in the pantheon of drummers who fit their band just right ( Keith Moon, John Bonham [Phil fucking Collins, said no one ever]Frank Beard, Chris Layton), but, can any of us picture a Rush without Neil?

woemad likes this.
  2. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Devotee (483) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Drank a four-day-old Fort George Magnetic Fields and I want to go buy more - so good! Followed it up with an Ex Novo Kill the Sun Horchata, which is fine but I don’t love it because cinnamon.

Side note: Found 2014 Deschutes Mirror Mirror at New Seasons today. Of course I bought one, but WTF?! How is this a thing, NS?! Also bought a Three Magnets Old Skook that was 1/4 the price. I think I’ve bought about 15 different barrel-aged barleywines this winter and I can’t stop and won’t apologize.

woemad and 66jzmstr like this.
  3. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,080) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

As a Genesis fan from way, way back, I'm gonna say you can just hush.

Currently enjoying a Reuben's Bits & Bobs IPA.

woemad, 66jzmstr and beertunes like this.
  4. beertunes

Trader

Yeah, Genesis-Peter Gabriel = WTF?
    Sure, Phil was a competent drummer, and had a certain, uh, public face, but.....
    Shrug.

5. vurt

Society

A competent drummer?

I know you have better ears than that. Selling England By The Pound is a magnificent album. So is Trick Of The Tail. So is Duke.

Still enjoying a can of Bits & Bobs. Thinking about opening something more interesting.

woemad and beertunes like this.
  6. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (481) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

Found my daughter’s ski lesson tomorrow has been cancelled, so I’m drinking tonight. (After a beer run to Reuben’s, if one couldn’t tell.)

[​IMG]

woemad, Reidrover, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  7. vurt

Society

Apres Ski... Bits & Bobs...Azacca Crush...Robust Porter?

Reidrover and 66jzmstr like this.
  8. beertunes

Trader

Barely.

9. NWer

NWer Crusader (788) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Had to run an errand to Redmond yesterday so took the opportunity to visit a brewery I'd not been to before: Postdoc. Enjoyed their barrel aged triple IPA, Hogus Maximus Barriclus aged in J.P.Trodden bourbon barrels. Great color, strong to the palate. I love triple IPA season almost as much as fresh hop season.
    [​IMG]

woemad, WA_Brian, Reidrover and 2 others like this.
  10. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,990) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Fremont Coffee and Cinnamon B-Bomb 2018 and it is magnificent!

woemad, Mark_Griffin, NWer and 3 others like this.
  11. vurt

Society

Drinking a pint of Ruse Evertide Helles Lager at Orenco Taphouse. It's a nice helles with a soft, malty finish.

woemad, NWer and Reidrover like this.
  12. NickSMpls

NickSMpls Meyvn (1,185) Nov 11, 2012 Washington
    Society Trader

Buoy's Czech-Style Pilsner while following the Packer-Seahawk playoff game. Have a home made chicken pot pie in the oven.

woemad, NWer, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  13. vurt

Society

Next up: A delicious pint of Chuckanut Pilsner. Always an excellent choice.

14. vurt

Society

Round 3: Chuckanut Dunkel with Coava Coffee. A really nice beer. Not too much coffee. Might be something of a dilemma for @beertunes

woemad, Bitterbill and beertunes like this.
  15. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (4,823) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Ex Novo's Brewer's edition Eliot for me tonight. This is tasty. I like this more than regular Eliot, but I might have to try them side by side to make sure...

afrokaze, woemad, Reidrover and 3 others like this.
  16. derftron

derftron Disciple (358) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Took a few weeks off. Back on the saddle...

Had a pint of Fort George magnetic fields at Bier stein on Friday.
    Drank a Oakshire imperial “Samoa” stout and a Hair of the Dog Maja on Saturday . All three of these were excellent.

Finished up with BA maple smoked porter from pFriem and a Cherry Adam from the Wood during playoff games today. Both were excellent. Cherry Adam from the wood was especially satisfying. Fully carbonated and the new cherries added a different flavor that was not at all tart.

https://imgur.com/gallery/KF11ce3

https://imgur.com/gallery/cVUHUFY

woemad, NickSMpls, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  17. derftron

Ok so my imgur links aren’t posting pics anymore. Any suggestions??

18. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (173) Jun 10, 2008 Oregon

Opened up a bottle of Three Ryes Men to share on Sunday. That's a pretty terrific beer, and very deceiving at 13%. I was surprised at how thick it poured. Would definitely drink again.

Hopping back a couple days, on Friday Deschutes in the Pearl had Northern Sister and Southern Sister on tap for their bottle release. I forget which was which, but one was a blueberry sour and one was a peach sour. The Blueberry sour was probably my favorite, a bit less acidic and easy to drink without being too sweet. The Peach sour was well made with great peach flavor but acidic enough that I wouldn't want more than a teku of it.

woemad and vurt like this.
  19. NWer

NWer Crusader (788) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

I choose the 2nd from the bottom option to copy and paste fwiw

20. Mark_Griffin

Mark_Griffin Initiate (86) Sep 21, 2014 Washington

2019 Fremont Coffee Cinnamon B-Bomb to drown my Seahawk sorrows. It worked. Wonderful brew!

woemad, vurt and sharpski like this.
  21. drone

drone Disciple (377) Jun 17, 2013 Washington
    Trader

[​IMG]

It's snowy and cold (by Seattle standards...) so this seemed apt. An absolute favorite of mine.

woemad, WA_Brian, NWer and 1 other person like this.
  22. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,502) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Am at the West Side taphouse in Salem drinking a lovely glass of Chuckanut pils. Trying to fortify myself before fighting the traffic back up to pdx.

23. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Disciple (386) Nov 17, 2015 Washington
    Society

Snow day so I'm working from home. Decided to crack open BBIS Cognac from Reuben's because it seemed appropriate for this weather. Pretty good but I may prefer the bourbon barrels.

Whether drinking a 14% beer while trying to get work done is a good idea or bad idea is a problem for future me.

woemad, jason_nwx, 66jzmstr and 4 others like this.
  24. vurt

Society

Tonight I opened a bottle of Reindeer Tears, a bourbon barrel-aged American barleywine from Heathen Brewing. 2014 edition. A buddy gave me the bottle when it was new. Don't know why I hadn't opened it before now, but hey, I'm here, the bottle's here, and it's cold outside.

[​IMG]

This is pretty good. Lots of orange marmalade/candied orange peel flavor with a decent bitterness at the end. Neither too sweet nor too oxidized. (As a point of reference, the 2015 Mother of All Storms I opened a couple weeks ago was much more oxidized.)

On the down side, the barrel character is mild, and the body is really thin. Not much depth to the flavors.

Overall, I think this has held up well and exceeded my (admittedly modest) expectations.

Overall: This has held up surprisingly well and exceeded my expectations.

woemad, beertunes and jason_nwx like this.
  25. jason_nwx

Cracked a Laurelwood Seasons Change (2018). Lots of tropicalness from the rum barrels and quite a bit of spice. Almost none of the mentioned coffee and the lactose didn’t really seem to do anything. Quite an interesting beer but once was enough.

woemad and vurt like this.
  26. jason_nwx

Tonight opened a pFriem 2020 Cuvée, which is a mix of Druif Rouge, Druif Blanc, and some extra base lambic. This is probably great if you like the wine grapes, but... :slight_smile:

woemad, Reidrover, vurt and 3 others like this.
  27. beertunes

Trader

Ahh, a good old Cedar Dust is my glass now. Finished a most decidedly Non-Nw beer a bit ago; Funky Buddha Mexican Coffee. Glad I didn't get around to it sooner (I've had it since October), otherwise the heat woulda been too much.

Dust, on the other hand, Is always good. :wink:

woemad, Reidrover and vurt like this.
  28. vurt

Society

Earlier tonight I was at the Murray & Allen McMenamins pub, where I had an Aztec salad and a pint of their 5th Floor IPA. Both were tasty.

Now I'm finishing off the Heathen Brewing Reindeer Tears BA barleywine I opened a while back. An extra night in a stoppered bottle has made this beer seem softer and creamier, and brought moar barrel character to the front. Nice.

29. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,046) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Trader

Mike Portnoy, just days before Neil Peart's death was announced, had to issue an official denial that he was replacing Peart' for an upcoming tour. So, yeah, there is an insane minority of Rush fans out there that seem to want them to just keep touring forever. I'm glad they quit when they did, after a triumphant last album and tour. Most bands' careers come to an end in a more sad fashion. Also, as someone who has seen Phil Collins play real drums, that guy was amazing.

sharpski, beertunes and vurt like this.
  30. jason_nwx

Heater Allen Sandy Paws because it’s delicious.

I have big dreams of putting my dog on this label someday.

woemad, vurt, sharpski and 3 others like this.
  31. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,046) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Trader

Tonight, after jumping off the shame train (aka Spokane Transit Bus #60) to buy a birthday present for my niece, I decided the two bear's worth of money in my wallet before tomorrow's pay day should be used nearby. So, I walked to Steady Flow Growler House: no dice! They were closing up early due to the unforecast snow storm currently hitting Spokane. So I trudged a block further north to the new Brick West Brewing, and had this pilsener.
    [​IMG]
    Quite nice. Technically it violated my rule of preference for pils over 5% abv (at 5.1%)), but it's light, reasonably crisp and sessionable. I'll be hitting it again.

32. vurt

Society

REAL TRUTH HERE.

Obligatory beer: Still working on the Reindeer Tears.

woemad and beertunes like this.
  33. beertunes

Trader

Admittedly, FWIW, when Rush finished the R40 tour, Neils public stance was (paraphrasing here) "I've been beating things with sticks for decades now, and, my hands and wrists are done. I can't tour anymore, but maybe we can record." Again, I'm just going off memory.

But, what if he knew that it wasn't his hands? Did he give the faithful an easy let-down? I dunno. But, given his seeming level of care, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. Shrug.

Plus, Phil Collins is a complete, tiny, Napoleon complexed asshole who does not treat his support staff well. Fuck that guy. And, yes, he is not in the discussion of good, let alone great, drummers.

sharpski likes this.
  34. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,608) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

New one tonight Terminal Gravity Future Legend Hazy IPA, in a can from Lifesource in Salem.
    Not a huge fan of the style but this one is pretty darned good from a brewery that calls itself "Middle of Nowhere, Center of the Universe"

woemad, vurt and beertunes like this.
  35. beertunes

Trader

Headed out to the North Fork here in a bit. Will report back later with what goodies were found. BTW, NF and Boundary Bay did a collab brew a couple days ago that's gonna sit in a foeder out in Deming for a year, then get dry-hopped. Will keep y'all appraised.

woemad, vurt, NWer and 2 others like this.
  36. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (4,823) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Not a PNW beer, but it's a 40th anniversary IPA for me tonight. It's really tasty.

sharpski, woemad, jason_nwx and 3 others like this.
  37. vurt

Society

I just finished a Baerlic Noble Oak, which is an oatmeal stout fermented in 2nd use bourbon barrels. I didn't get much oak or bourbon, but it was still very good indeed.

afrokaze, woemad, jason_nwx and 2 others like this.
  38. derftron

Had a Ex Novo “brewers edition” Elliot. Very good

Wayfinder beYOB dopplebock. Excellent

Now finishing up with an Alesong Rhino suit. Been a while since I’ve had the regular version without variant ingredients. Wow! Would be hard pressed to come up with a better straight up BBA stout

[​IMG]

woemad, DefenCorps, VashonGuy and 3 others like this.
  39. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,608) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Drinking out of state tonight.
    Uinta Hazy Nosh IPA..really really good but not much of a hazy, at 5%. Will be looking for this in the summer when i get my motor-home on the road!
    Bought from my beloved Plaid Pantry

sharpski, woemad and vurt like this.
  40. vurt

Society

Not gonna lie: That is a fantastic line up.