What Northwest beer are you drinking now? (2020)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by BBThunderbolt, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I had the same reaction when I was at John's Marketplace the weekend before last.

La Cumbre Elevated IPA from New Mexico was cheaper than Wayfinder CZAF from across the Willamette.

Somehow that didn't seem right, but there you go.

woemad likes this.
  2. derftron

derftron Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

this is why i wasnt blinking with the $5 price point for cans of Heady Topper or Focal Banger a few months ago. $4 seems like the average price on 16oz cans of the standard styles, with many many beers north of $5 in the stores.

there are still plenty of 12oz/6-pack deals to be had though (pFriem pils, Pelican updrift, etc.)

speaking of $4 16oz cans. Bought a Baerlic "Dad beer" yesterday (im a sucker sentimentality). Didnt know what to expect, but i found it to be quite an enjoyable lager. at that price, maybe not something i return to very often, but i would be stoked if they ever made 6-packs out of it.

woemad and vurt like this.
  3. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

The price may be completely justified, but it's a pretty hard pill to swallow, when it was just a couple months ago that I could get a crowler fill for only $5 over at the brewery. I realize the circumstances at the time were unusual, but even so, it's hard to put that experience behind me.

woemad likes this.
  4. afrokaze

afrokaze Jun 12, 2009 Oregon

FYI the date stamp should be just above the label on the shoulder of the bottle, but you'll prob need to hold it up to the light to see it. Wish I had the power to change this or use a different color ink, but at least we've got a real date and batch number on there. Also, we switched the labels so any of the IPA with black or white backgrounds are newer batches. If you see any with the tan background, let us know.

TheBricenator, jason_nwx and vurt like this.
  5. afrokaze

afrokaze Jun 12, 2009 Oregon

Made it out to Wolves & People yesterday and had a great time. They re-organized & expanded the patio seating and moved the bar to the side of the barn, so ordering is actually less cramped and more organized now. They were also politely enforcing mask wearing while not at your table and cleaning/sanitizing. As far as beer goes, I could drink the Neuberg lager all day, and Oude Vat was nice and funky but only a little tart. Definitely recommend getting out there in this nice weather if you can.

Reidrover, John_M and vurt like this.
  6. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I think I have a good pricing model in my head for 6-packs and 4-packs of IPAs, since that's what I've bought the most over the past decade or so.

I'm still working out that model for lagers and pilsners and such. Part of that model is an expectation that IPAs are more expensive than pilsners. Usually, they still are. But not always.

There's a lot to unpack.

I'm coming to realize that Wayfinder is more expensive than I thought it was.

A 4-pack of CZAF straight from the source is $16.

That's more expensive than most 4-pack IPAs I feel comfortable buying.

That's more expensive than a 4-pack of Heater Allen Lenzbock, a stronger beer from a similarly-sized brewery of at least equal quality.

That's significantly more expensive than, say, a 4-pack of Occidental Pilsner. Similar beer, same packaging format, and just like CZAF, it's brewed right here in Portland.

A 6-pack of Wayfinder Number 6 set me back $12 at New Seasons last weekend. The more I think about that, the more I feel like a chump for buying it. But hey, I'll add that to the pricing model in my head, for next time.

7. derftron

ha, thanks. for more pictures, check out my profile on BackYardAdvocate.com

vurt, 66jzmstr, rrock44 and 2 others like this.
  8. Reidrover

Reidrover Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

vurt likes this.
  9. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/366/970/

was this one back in 1999[/QUOTE]

Soooo... as you probably know, I'm not exactly a spring chicken myself. I think I first drove up to Oregon from Sacramento in 1994, and then again a couple years later. Unlike my wife, my then GF really liked beer, and was really into the craft/microbrew scene. I'll cut this story short so as not to bore anyone, but on one of our trips we stopped at the old Pyramid/Hart brewery in Kalama. After the tour and tasting, I still remember arguing with the GF over whether we should get a jar of either their Apricot wheat or the Espresso stout (we loved both and the tour was great). I think it was on the same trip that we stopped off at the Thomas Kemper "tasting room." To be honest, I don't know what the place was, just that it was out in the sticks some place and there were a lot of picnic tables. The place you ordered your beer was similar to a roadside produce market, except they only sold Thomas Kemper beer there and light snacks (chips, peanuts and the like). Weather was fantastic, and so it was a great place to hang with a beer. I remember we loved everything we tried from them, and I was completely blown away when I heard a couple years later that they merged or were absorbed by Pyramid. Man, how the craft beer scene has changed since those days.

woemad, vurt, Reidrover and 3 others like this.
  10. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Knocking back a Limelight Wit from Fringe, a collab with Atwood. A Wit with key limes, it's nicely tasty.

11. derftron

A keg of this stuff would really come in handy. Chuckanut bohemian pils on the back patio while the temp comes down

[​IMG]

12. honkduh

honkduh Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

I still remember arguing with the GF over whether we should get a jar of either their Apricot wheat .[/QUOTE]

I used to love this beer. Do they still make it?

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  13. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Thanks for saying so! It's part of the condo landscaping, so I can't take any credit for the upkeep, but Mrs. vurt and I love to have beers out here on the patio.

We sit and "survey our goober domain," to borrow a line from Bill Hicks.

14. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

How's Andre doing?

vurt likes this.
  15. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Next up is Migration Patio Pale. Solid, easy drinking, but not particularly notable.

rrock44, Reidrover and vurt like this.
  16. Reidrover

Society

pFriem Dark Czech Lager.. Sitting in the outside area of Westside Taphouse We'd Salem.
    Gorgeous beer for a gorgeous day

woemad, rrock44, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  17. Reidrover

Society

I used to love this beer. Do they still make it?[/QUOTE]
    Yup..

John_M likes this.
  18. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Haven't seen that chonky boy in a while. But there are 2 very young squirrels in the yard these days who are gangly and adorable. We call 'em Bits and Bobs.

-----

Just finished a nice can of Ex Novo Upright Citizens before dinner. Satisfying!

19. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I used to love this beer. Do they still make it?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea, but yeah, me too. Easily my favorite of the TK beers. It's been a long time since I even thought about that beer.

Has to be 25 years, maybe more, since I last had a glass.

20. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Yup..[/QUOTE]

Just saw your post. Really? I had no idea. Bottles/cans?

21. Reidrover

Society

Next up Breakside Dunkel. Things a fantastic summer dunkel. Tasty yet vibrant and light on the palate.
    Breakside might be the best brewery foe multiple styles in Portland

afrokaze, woemad, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  22. Reidrover

Society

Just saw your post. Really? I had no idea. Bottles/cans?[/QUOTE]
    I am assuming is the Apricot Ale.. They dropped the wheat but its still the same. I had a 19.oz. can recently from a gas station.. I see the bottles in Safeway

woemad, BBThunderbolt and vurt like this.
  23. Reidrover

Society

I think the Pyramid Apricot is the old TK beer

vurt likes this.
  24. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I am assuming is the Apricot Ale.. They dropped the when but its still the same. I had a 19.oz. can recently from a gas station.. I see the bottles in Safeway[/QUOTE]

Sorry, my mistake. I thought you were referring to the TK weizen berry. Yes, I still see the pyramid apricot wheat around. I haven't seen the weizen berry in years.

25. Reidrover

Society

Time marches on.. We tend to look back fondly on the old days of the craft revolution.. We were young and the whole scene was young.. But in the clear light of day things are far better now. Back then a pot bellied old dude like me wouldn't be sitting outside on a lovely patio drinking a dunkel e in West Salem

26. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

@John_M , is it just me, or have quotes and replies been wonky the last few days? Seems like instead of highliting the quoted post, it just drops 'em in plain text, and I have a hard time telling them apart from the new text.

woemad, jason_nwx and 66jzmstr like this.
  27. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Jul 17, 2005 Washington

Me, too.

28. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

The response I made to @Reidrover was the first time I noticed the problem. Hopefully it's isolated. If you or @66jzmstr encounter another such problem, could you shoot me a BM? Could be some sort of bug or IT glitch, which I can report to the IT team.

Thanks!

woemad, 66jzmstr and BBThunderbolt like this.
  29. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

This is undeniably true. Like you mentioned, everything was new and exciting back then... I was incredibly excited whenever I went to a new brewery or brewpub. My reaction was along the lines of "hey, lookie there... another like minded individual who thinks microbrew beer is fantastic. This is so exciting."

In reality, most of the beers I tried weren't all that great, at least not by today's standards. Today, when I try a new IPA, I'm comparing it to the hundreds of other IPA's I've sampled over the years, many of which were good to outstanding. Back in the early 90's, I tended to compare everything to the BMC swill I'd grown up with and was familiar with. That was an extremely low bar, and it resulted in some pretty mediocre brews by the industry back then.

I still remember visiting this brewpub in Benicia California called Huttenhain's (or something like that). We were lucky to be able to visit it, as it went belly up shortly after it opened. I have no idea what happened, but I recall the beer was really pretty lousy. Some of the worst I've ever tasted. Even so, I remember walking out and my friend commenting "well, at least it was better than BMC." (pretty sure I nodded sagely).

Yep, a very different time...

30. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

[​IMG]

Split this with my parents on Fathers Day while practicing social distancing. Has a bit of sweet tangy finish from the honey, but otherwise a nice simple saison.

snaotheus, Reidrover, rrock44 and 2 others like this.
  31. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Isn't Wayfinder's entire thing lagers, though? As I understand it, the issue for a lot of breweries who make an occasional lager is that it ties up their ale pipeline unless they have the $$$ for a separate lagering system. But if all you're doing is lagers, sure they take longer than ales to brew, but your pipeline should ensure you have fresh stuff coming ready all the time.

Wayfinder is making awesome stuff. I just wish I could justify buying it more often. Just as a point of comparison, Jack's Abby in MA routinely sells 4/16oz packs for $10-11.

(It's worth mentioning that all we're getting in Bend is singles, aside from Lager #6, so far. It's possible the pricing is more reasonable if you're actually getting 4pks and 6pks.)

32. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Yeah, I really enjoyed this one as well.

afrokaze likes this.
  33. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Wayfinder also makes several IPAs. But yes, most of their output is lagers.

Also worth noting: Wayfinder is a small operation. They don't have the kind of production capacity that @ppilot referred to which would let them price their products lower. A place like pFriem has much greater capacity. I suspect Occidental has greater production too (on real estate I have to believe is cheaper than Wayfinder's SE location).

Reidrover and deadwolfbones like this.
  34. woemad

woemad Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

$5 crowler fill sounds pretty awesome to me, and I'm acclimated to Spokane prices! I'm not surprised that couldn't last.

vurt likes this.
  35. woemad

Society Trader

This is what I tell people that complain about beers from the few breweries from the 90s that are still around that claim the beers got worse. I tell them that may be the case, but it's more likely that the competition is many orders of magnitude better than the first time one had drank _______ beer.

ch3no2, rrock44, Reidrover and 3 others like this.
  36. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Sitting on the patio, finishing the 12-ounce bottle of Breakside IPA that I opened last night and didn't finish then.

37. woemad

Society Trader

Hadn't planned on it, but events led to me going to Whistle Punk after work, and drinking their Grapefruit Zest Kolsch.
    [​IMG]
    This is such a perfect beer for the end of a hot day (at roughly 90°, Spokane's hottest so far this year). The grapefruit is upfront, but also kinda subtle, and it is oh, so drinkable. I'm on my third now.

Reidrover, rrock44 and vurt like this.
  38. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Sep 12, 2012 Oregon
    Society

This Ex Novo/Upright Upright Citizens ESB is really damn good. Ferment’s is slightly better to my taste, but I’m ecstatic to have two fantastic local ESBs to choose from.

39. woemad

Society Trader

Seems like, at least locally, that style isn't in vogue these last few years. Whistle Punk did an English Bitter recently, but I haven't seen a beer being called an ESB locally in forever, and I don't see them being packaged much, either. A style victim of brewers needing to field hazy and non-hazy IPAs, maybe?

40. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I used to be a pretty big fan of the style, but have noticed the same thing. One problem I have with domestically made ESB's, is that they seem to be all over the map flavor-wise. I never know what to expect when I order one.

I used to be a huge fan of Fuller's ESB back in the day, and I guess that's what I associate with the flavor profile for an ESB. Most of the locally made one's are nothing like that and I'm often puzzled why they're labeled an ESB. Probably the last one I can recall buying and liking was the Bachelor Bitter from Deschutes. It's been years since I last had a glass of that (as I think it's only poured at the pub up in Bend).

Reidrover, TaborTime, woemad and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.