What Northwest beer are you drinking now? (2020)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Jan 1, 2020.

1. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Defender (612) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

I *think* Bachelor Bitter may be on tap at the Portland pub sometimes, too, but I'm not sure. I've never tried it (I think it got pulled from distro before I got into craft, maybe?). In the Deschutes AMA that beer was mentioned many times as people wanting to see it in package again and Gary said it just doesn't sell so they can't justify it - the Bachelor Bitter fans are vocal but a very small minority it seems. So yeah, I think @woemad is right.

If you like Fuller's ESB I think you'll like the Ex Novo/Upright ESB. Ferment's - to me - is slightly sweeter and a tad heavier in body. Not a ton more, but different enough from Fuller's (or at least how Fuller's from the bottle tastes after coming to Oregon from the UK).

woemad, DefenCorps and beertunes like this.
  2. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,778) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Thanks for the explanation and tip. I'll definitely give the Ex Novo/Upright version a try then.

woemad and jason_nwx like this.
  3. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,246) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

It's the most English tasting ESB I've had in years. I like it very much.

Reidrover, woemad, sharpski and 3 others like this.
  4. vurt

Society

Enjoying a Breakside/Barley Brown's Wanderjack before dinner, and after a challenging day at work.

This is great stuff, and since I suspect I will need to find more soon.

afrokaze, rrock44, woemad and 2 others like this.
  5. jason_nwx

Two tasty beers tonight: Block 15’s Fresh Flow and Ferment’s Helles. Both really well done.

afrokaze, rrock44, woemad and 2 others like this.
  6. TheBricenator

TheBricenator Aspirant (291) Nov 13, 2007 Oregon

Cracked open a can of Ruse/Modern Times' Exit Dream and after the initial shock on the pour of what I mistakenly thought was a pilsner - they call it a Bohemian Dark Lager - I can report that it is delicious. Ruse is somewhat new to me and when I hear MT, I think IPA's but this is some tasty stuff - lager lovers keep your eyes open for this one.

Reidrover, rrock44, woemad and 5 others like this.
  7. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (569) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon
    Brewery

Glad to hear so many of you have liked Wanderjack. Another batch just finished canning today.

jason_nwx, Reidrover, rrock44 and 4 others like this.
  8. vurt

Society

OH HELL YEAH. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear, since I am down to my last can in the fridge.

afrokaze likes this.
  9. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (5,118) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

I'm excited since I missed the first batch!

afrokaze likes this.
  10. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (158) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Homebrewed Toasted Coconut Cheerios Hazy DIPA w/ Sabro, Cashmere, and Mosaic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,630) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

It's my Friday, and I'm having Fragaria, a strawberry wild ale. It's #5 in the Goatworks series, Iron Goat's line of mixed fermentation beers. Sweet and funky, really well balanced. I'm also having a pastrami sandwich.
    [​IMG]

12. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,907) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

I can still get Fullers ESB at Capital market..love Ex-Novo but i will go for the original

TheBungyo, John_M and vurt like this.
  13. jason_nwx

Gigantic’s Boom Pow Hazy tonight. Has a nice malt backbone and smells lovely. I don’t usually say this but I wanted more Citra flavor.

woemad, rrock44 and vurt like this.
  14. vurt

Society

I should have said, "It's the most English tasting ESB brewed in America that I've tried in years."

(I grant you that's a very low bar. In my beer drinking history, most of the American-made ESBs I've tried had no English ale yeast character, or were too hoppy, or were a mislabeled amber ale. Bah.)

I still love a good pint of Fuller's ESB, and I might see about doing a side-by-side tasting with Fuller's and Ex Novo. I think it would be a fair competition.

woemad, jason_nwx and Reidrover like this.
  15. vurt

Society

And speaking of ESBs, I'm enjoying an Ex Novo Upright Citizens right now.

[​IMG]

woemad, jason_nwx, rrock44 and 3 others like this.
  16. vurt

Society

Looks good, sounds tasty too.

Does the grain bill actually include Coconut Cheerios, or does the name suggest a flavor rather than an ingredient?

woemad likes this.
  17. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,907) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Sitting on the deck..wonderful night now. Ruse Reverse World " American Style" IPA.
    Just a very nice West Coast IPA..i was worried after i did not like their Helles..but this is grand stuff.

woemad and rrock44 like this.
  18. deadwolfbones

Actually includes Toasted Coconut Cheerios! One box in the mash and one in the whirlpool (in a 4 gallon batch).

woemad, VashonGuy and vurt like this.
  19. G_Z_a

G_Z_a Initiate (132) Feb 2, 2015 Oregon

Drinking a hop venom from the can. Maybe it’s just me or maybe it’s just the canned version, but Boneyard’s ipa recipes on their flagships seem sorely outdated. Too sweet and malty. Was hoping more crisp and hoppy. Guess it’s been a while but I remember always liking this one. Still totally drinkable, just wanted to be more impressed.

woemad, afrokaze and rrock44 like this.
  20. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I've held off getting cans of HV for the same reason. When I first moved to Eugene back in 2013, I was buying HV by the growler, and would knock off an entire growler with ease on Saturdays during football season. However, the last few times I ordered a glass, my reaction was similar to yours. Still a decent beer, but not the sort of beer I'd want to get a growler or crowler of.

woemad and G_Z_a like this.
  21. G_Z_a

G_Z_a Initiate (132) Feb 2, 2015 Oregon

Moved on to Pelican Updrift. Now that’s more like it. Dated 5/14. Wasn’t able to see the date until I opened the 6 pack. Could be worse. Only $8.99 at FM at least. I’ll be buying more of this.

woemad, rrock44, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  22. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Speaking of IPA's that are a bit on the sweet and malty side, am now drinking a glass of active aggression. Still pretty good, but the beer is starting to show its age. Probably won't get anymore until GOW/Stormbreaker come out with a fresh batch.

#1982 John_M, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    woemad and rrock44 like this.
  23. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Disciple (392) Nov 17, 2015 Washington
    Society

Interesting. I always found a lot of variation in batches of Boneyard, specifically with Notorious. However, by the time it reaches me I have no idea how old the keg is or what temperature it was stored at so I've always shrugged it off. My understanding is Boneyard also changes the recipe based on their hop contracts but that could be incorrect.

After years of singing the praises of Hop Venom and Notorious (sorry folks, but I've never liked RPM) I have come to the conclusion that Bone-A-Fide is actually the best choice when you want an IPA. It's delicious, hoppy, and everything you ever could want from an IPA masquerading as a pale ale. Sometimes less is more.

Unfortunately, I'm not drinking a PNW beer. A co-worker swung by out of the blue to deliver some Pliny. It's a tough job but somebody has to drink it.

woemad, VashonGuy, 66jzmstr and 6 others like this.
  24. derftron

derftron Disciple (392) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Hair of the Dog Lila

Smooth and refreshing. Very enjoyable

[​IMG]

DefenCorps, woemad, Reidrover and 6 others like this.
  25. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,693) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Knocking back a 22 of Boundary Bay Lemonade Sail Pale (dumb name. Wut even is a "lemonade sail?), a 5.3% Pale made with honeyed malt and lemondrop hops. Nice, smooth, easy drinking. Only 60 cases of bottles, but worth grabbing one if you see it. Draft might reach out a bit more.

woemad, vurt and rrock44 like this.
  26. vurt

Society

Starting my Friday evening with a tall red can of Occidental Pilsner:

[​IMG]

Satisfying!

Anybody seen any Hair of the Dog Bierweek out there? And if so, where?

woemad, rrock44 and beertunes like this.
  27. derftron

Moving on to the BierWeek. I enjoyed the Lila quite a bit, but this blows it away. World class smoked beer IMO

[​IMG]

DefenCorps, woemad, Reidrover and 5 others like this.
  28. jason_nwx

Von Ebert’s Decocted Helles is pretty tasty. Creamy and rustic. My first from them and I’ll be on the lookout for more.

woemad, Reidrover, rrock44 and 2 others like this.
  29. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Judging by @derftron's post, sounds like they probably got in some cans over at John's.

woemad and beertunes like this.
  30. vurt

Society

I thought it was supposed to be Market of Choice "exclusive." I'm happy to go to either MoC or John's, but I'd just as soon not go on the kind of bier chase I'd otherwise happily do in non-COVID times.

woemad and beertunes like this.
  31. deadwolfbones

Had a Zoigl Pils earlier. Very nice, especially at the $9/6pk price point.

32. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (4,184) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society

In a can? I've only seen that on tap.

woemad, beertunes and G_Z_a like this.
  33. vurt

Society

Boneyard is one of those draft-only breweries that started canning during the quarantine.

34. snaotheus

Society

Huh. Good to know. Thanks!

woemad, beertunes and vurt like this.
  35. derftron

I got cans of Lila and BierWeek at MOC. Grabbed other items at Johns, including 2020 Rusty Nail

woemad and vurt like this.
  36. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Ahhhh, that's right. I had forgotten that.

I had wrongly assumed that @derftron doesn't shop anyplace but John's. :sunglasses:

37. shelby415

shelby415 Savant (958) Oct 10, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

Beermongers has both Lila & Bierweek as well, so it might not just be MOC.

38. snaotheus

Society

On my second beer at Buoy. Drinking lagers is unusual for me, but the helles was quite nice and PNW Pilsner is enjoyable, too.

woemad, vurt, rrock44 and 2 others like this.
  39. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,693) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Having a Migration Proper Pilsner. Thoroughly average, maybe a small step below, but still a nice enough drinker.

rrock44, Reidrover and vurt like this.
  40. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Having a glass of the 2020 Fremont Rusty Nail. Pretty comparable to previous vintages. In other words, quite excellent.

draheim, DefenCorps, rrock44 and 3 others like this.