What Northwest beer are you drinking now? (2020)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Jan 1, 2020.

1. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,240) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Well this is a nice surprise. I've been looking for reasonably fresh Occidental Edel-Hell for weeks now. Found some at Freddie's this afternoon when we dropped by to load up on some coffee we like.

Canned 06/10/2020. Delicious.

[​IMG]

Maybe the squirrels would like to finish this can...

[​IMG]

DefenCorps, John_M, jason_nwx and 3 others like this.
  2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,662) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

That's a squirrel keg. A "squieg" if one will.

woemad and vurt like this.
  3. beertunes

Society Trader

As mentioned in the RN discussion, a socially safe bottle share shall be occurring in a bit. I've gotta behave, cuz my 6:30am wake-up for work tomorrow is gonna be early. but, i prefunked with a 2019 Doggie Claws. I love this beer, but the lack of carb (I know, dead horse beating warning) is really detracting from HotD brews.

Now having a can of BB Mantra; Lotus Edition to tide me through.

4. vurt

Society

In that case, I guess I need to find a squirrel with a kegerator.

DefenCorps, woemad and beertunes like this.
  5. beertunes

Society Trader

Or, just buy some insulation, pre-chill one of those little drip bottles they have for gerbils and hamsters, fill with cold beer, and insert into the previously constructed insulated box. Voila, squikegerator!

vurt and woemad like this.
  6. rrock44

rrock44 Disciple (368) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

I think I’ve mentioned this...I am a fan of this one. Costco In the TC seems to be getting it in each month.
    [​IMG]

beertunes, sharpski, woemad and 2 others like this.
  7. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,903) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Drinking Three Magnets "this is still a thing..right guys?"
    Its a Brut IPA and so very good in the warm weather.
    I am sad this style did not take off..its the anti-christ to Hazy Jesus.

VashonGuy, beertunes, vurt and 2 others like this.
  8. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,629) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Man, I haven't seen that one locally in years, I'd love to have it again (Fuller's-we don't get Ex-Novo in Spokane on the regular).

beertunes, vurt and Reidrover like this.
  9. Reidrover

Society

Next up..Doglost Pilsner from Wander..nice pils. Does its job.

beertunes, vurt, woemad and 1 other person like this.
  10. woemad

Society Trader

That one has always been too sweet and malty for me. Truly bummed me out the first time I had it, after all the hype (mostly encountered here, actually:wink:) that I'd read beforehand.

beertunes, Reidrover and vurt like this.
  11. woemad

Society Trader

My only experience of Buoy was their standard canned ipa, drunk while camping at Fort Stevens about 3 yrs ago. My brother's father-in-law bought a 6er at the nearby Fred Meyer. I don't think it was dated, so it may have been a shelf turd 6er, but it was not pleasant, tasting like it'd languished there for a while.

beertunes, Reidrover and vurt like this.
  12. woemad

Society Trader

I've stayed away from HOTD for years because of that issue. Life's too short to drink flawed beer.

beertunes, vurt and Reidrover like this.
  13. vurt

Society

"You know what?" I inquired rhetorically of Mrs. vurt. "I have decided to have a great many beers this evening."

She seemed to think it was a pretty good idea herself. We clinked glasses.

I am currently enjoying my last can of Breakside Wanderjack, and making occasional yummy sounds because this beer is really, really good.

14. Reidrover

Society

Buoy is one of those brewers i can tolerate but not exactly like. They do some good beers, but i think their main grocery store line is pretty blah. I very much liked their Baltic Porter ( i could get the bottles in local Safeway this winter..also their Strong Gale ( English Strong Ale)..really good als a winter thing..some taphouses had it

rrock44, vurt and woemad like this.
  15. Reidrover

Society

Finishing off the night with North Jetty Leadbetter..a fine Scottish style malty ale

16. woemad

Society Trader

Headed downtown for an early dinner at Cochinito's Taqueria (it's like a brick and mortar version of a taco truck, but for foodies) for a couple tacos and a margarita. Then I jumped on a bus (still free until the end of the month) to cross the river and went to Nectar Wine & Beers' 5th Anniversary party. With a portion of the profits going to charity, and the guests of honor on about 50% of the taps being local collaboration beers brewed for the event, it was kind of a no-brainer.

Started off with a "Saison" brewed with a Kveik yeast by Golden Handle, Iron Goat and Lumberbeard called Golden Bearded Goat, it came in instead like a mild hazy IPA brewed with a farmhouse yeast. Quite drinkable, but head-scratching if you were expecting a standard saison experience.
    [​IMG]
    Then I had a "German Pale Ale" brewed by Brick West, Perry Street and Whistle Punk. It was reminiscent of a hop-forward pilsener, with the hoppiness having an appropriate, herbal Euro bite to it.
    [​IMG]
    Now, after finishing with a TIPA from Oklahoma and buying a 6er's worth of canned beer, I'm back across the river, at BroStick, having a Pike Green Jacket IPA.
    [​IMG]

17. Reidrover

Society

18. woemad

Society Trader

If I came across it, I'd definitely try their Baltic Porter. That's a style I can't ignore if I come across it.

jason_nwx and vurt like this.
  19. woemad

Society Trader

@Reidrover, around here, there's so much better beer than No-Li these days. Food scene is better, too. I would be derelict in my duty, however, to not mention that the current chef at No-Li, someone I've vaguely known for around 15-20yrs, is outstanding.

rrock44, vurt and Reidrover like this.
  20. vurt

Society

That sounds like a fine evening, and those all sound like interesting beers, particularly the German pale ale.

But that mask...! DUDE.

beertunes and woemad like this.
  21. woemad

Society Trader

I ordered a couple items from King Crimson's own bespoke site. They threw in the mask, gratis. I'll not lie, I love the double takes I get from people when I walk around town with it.

DefenCorps and vurt like this.
  22. woemad

Society Trader

Still at BroStick, drinking Holy Mountain's Dark Ale.
    [​IMG]
    Gotta say, I'm underwhelmed. My schnoz interprets the roastiness as being akin to piles of cigarette butts.

beertunes, rrock44 and vurt like this.
  23. vurt

Society

A couple days ago Facebook gave me one of those "Here's a memory from X years ago" posts, and it was a picture I took of the marquee of the Moore Theatre when Mrs. vurt and I took the Bolt Bus to Seattle to see King Crimson.

There were several "bucket list"-grade songs in that set.

Bonus: That afternoon the wife and I got together with EdwardAbbey and @66jzmstr for beers at Fremont's Urban Beer Garden.

Wonderful memories, all.

24. woemad

Society Trader

Yeah, I didn't find out about that gig til too late. I'm still kinda pissed.

vurt likes this.
  25. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Defender (603) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Had a Bend BA Trade War for lunch. Loved the flavor and the feel, but it had a really off putting smell. No clue what it was.

Finishing the night with an Oakshire Twelve BA barley wine. Really nice, tons of bourbony oak goodness. Contemplating ordering a case of Fort George’s Black is Beautiful coffee stout collab with Buoy. That’s something I should do after drinking a 22oz, 13.3% barley wine, right?

sharpski, beertunes, afrokaze and 4 others like this.
  26. woemad

Society Trader

Finishing at BroStick with a After, Before (Gotta love a beer brewed with a hop called African Queen) from Structures. As I'm not driving, I reserve the right to report in with another beer. Shout out of appreciation to my friend, Sean, pouring beer here after over three months of unemployment.
    [​IMG]

sharpski, beertunes, 66jzmstr and 3 others like this.
  27. vurt

Society

Correct!

woemad, Reidrover, 66jzmstr and 2 others like this.
  28. rrock44

A band I have definitely heard about, but have never listened too. Give a noob a place to start. To keep it beer centric, I have finished the icicle enchantments and moved on to Ecliptic starburst.

PS... @woemad...you have one heck of a night going on.

beertunes, woemad, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  29. vurt

Society

Another Occidental Pilsner down.

Another Edel-Hell on deck.

And a Bigfoot in the fridge as the "scapegoat."

beertunes, jason_nwx and rrock44 like this.
  30. rrock44

So weird...Bigfoot never made it to the TC this year. It is a beer I love to grab a couple sixers of. Drink one and age one (drinking one or two at random dates in the future). Don’t always buy each year, so not a vertical thing. This year I was out and figured I would buy a couple like in the past. No dice. Just something I took for granted, I guess.

woemad and vurt like this.
  31. vurt

Society

I hadn't bought any in quite a few years. I, too, took it for granted.

The one I put in the fridge last night is still there, where it may end up as the Nightcap of Poor Judgment some other time.

woemad, beertunes and rrock44 like this.
  32. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,770) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

The beer has always been on the sweet side (not unlike notorious), but in initial versions, the sweetness was unusual and attractive (I would characterize it as something of a sauterne wine flavor). Despite the sweetness, the beer seemed well balanced, as there was considerable bitterness in the finish. I always thought it was incredibly drinkable for the abv.

I'm not sure what happened, but at some point either Boneyard changed up the recipe or my palate changed. Recent versions do indeed seem overly sweet and malty, and it seems hot on the finish. Drinkability is now pretty terrible I think (the last couple times I ordered it on draft, I couldn't finish the glass).

It's really a shame, as at one point it was completely deserving of all the accolades it received (imho).

woemad likes this.
  33. vurt

Society

Today's edition of Sunday Morning Beer Bread features a rerun beer, but for a good reason.

[​IMG]

I used my last can of Wayfinder Number 6 because today Mrs. vurt and I are celebrating our 6th anniversary.

Perhaps we shall continue the celebration with beers later? It seems likely.

34. woemad

Society Trader

Congrats on the anniversary!

rrock44 and vurt like this.
  35. woemad

Society Trader

Long King Crimson post here, so y'all not interested, feel free to skip. As for beer, I'm having my first Cathedral Tree right now.

Hard to say where you should start with KC. It's a band that's had multiple, wholesale lineup changes through it's history. Robert Fripp is the only constant factor. The first album (whose cover is on that mask) was massively influential when released in 1969, combining what was then considered dark, aggressive rock (the original drummer called it "demonic music" and declared that was why he quit the band) with jazz and classical influences, and is cited by many as the first "progressive rock" LP. That lineup imploded during their first UK tour. The next three albums were to greater and lesser extents attempts to recapture that sound. Then, 1973's Larks Tongues In Aspic was a big departure, largely jettisoning the jazz sound in favor of a European experimental vibe, with saxophones and flutes discarded in favor of violin.The next couple albums (all done in a 1 1/2 yr period) went in that direction. Then, RF pulled the plug, primarily worked as a sessioner and hung out with New Wave musicians in NYC, and reemerged in 1981 with a KC that was informed by that sound, but more experimental. That lasted until '84, and then was revived as an expanded 6-man unit in the mid 90s, and lasted through several permutations into the 00s. All these latter versions had Adrian Belew as singer and co-lead guitar. The current version, created in 2014, has a return of saxophones and flutes, and features three drummers, and, for then first time, plays material from all the band's history. Perhaps that might be a place to start and see what you like.

36. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Congrats to you and the missus Eric. Cheers, and here's to another 60! (At least!).

rrock44 and vurt like this.
  37. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Starting the day with a lovely glass of Chuckanut citra leaf pils. Great stuff!

rrock44, Reidrover, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  38. woemad

Society Trader

I'm kinda regretting only grabbing one can of this. The drinkability is through the roof.
    [​IMG]

39. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Now drinking a glass of boneyard armored fist. Been a long time... Probably not at its best (I'm at the Apex), but still pretty good.

rrock44, TheBricenator and vurt like this.
  40. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (5,107) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

In no particular order, Lizard, Discipline, Red, In the Court of the Crimson King. With Lizard, I highly recommend the Steven Wilson remaster, it's the best sounding version by far, and with this album, it really makes a difference.

If you like Lizard, you'll probably like Starless and Poseidon, if you like Discipline, Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair might also work. The other two albums are nonpareil.

vurt and rrock44 like this.