What Northwest beer are you drinking now? (2020)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Jan 1, 2020.

1. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,604) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

As I was actually driving for the first time in a bit and up a ways on the lower south hill, I stopped by Bennidito's.

Started off with Bodhizafa. It went well with an Italian Calzone:
    [​IMG]
    So did Bennidito's own Citra IPA:
    [​IMG]

2. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,604) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Yeah, closest to me is Huckleberry's, but they're dodgy as fuck about keeping bottles and cans on way longer than they should. Of course, they're not really a bottleshop, but a helluva lot of my earlier ticks on BA were through them. Probably first time in months I've bought beer from them.

beertunes likes this.
  3. NWer

NWer Champion (809) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Starting the day with a Five of Swords I picked up at Holy Mountain a couple days ago. Delicious (again). Should anyone ever drink any other kind?

4. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,683) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Starting off the 3 day weekend with a glass of Rosenstadt helles lager. Not bad at all. It's no pfreim, but it's quite tasty.

#2084 John_M, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    rrock44, Reidrover, vurt and 2 others like this.
  5. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,219) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Easing into the holiday weekend with some Hair of the Dog BierWeek on the patio.

A most enjoyable beer.

rrock44 and beertunes like this.
  6. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,532) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

After some non-NW brews from a BIF box, cracked open one those Murder of Crows I hand bottled a couple weeks ago. Man, I still love this beer. I wish they hadn't stepped on their dicks, publicly.

7. vurt

Society

Moving on to my last can of Upright Citizens.

[​IMG]

The message on the bottom of the can is particularly inspiring: "Bitter is the new hazy."

Count me in.

8. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Zealot (508) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

[​IMG]

beertunes, Reidrover and vurt like this.
  9. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Zealot (590) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Drinking a Machine House Porter tonight. I love how they nail every style they do within their area of expertise.

Sasquatch put their Black is Beautiful on sale today, which I think makes them the first in Oregon? And did you know they deliver all over the west side? Looking forward to getting my 4-pack tomorrow.

rrock44, beertunes, TheBungyo and 2 others like this.
  10. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,881) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

First beer of the weekend..Ft George Suicide Squeeze..7.2%..very nice IPA..from Plaid Pantry and only 2 months old :confused:. 5/02/20

rrock44, beertunes and vurt like this.
  11. beertunes

Society Trader

Was having a beer with coworkers when Anikah asked me if I wanted a, ahem, "special" cookie. How strong, I asked? Not very, was the reply. So, I got home, cracked my last 22 of Nutward Bound (the Cnut/BB collab Steam beer), and ate the cookie.

Things are chill here.

rrock44, 66jzmstr, vurt and 3 others like this.
  12. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,870) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

[​IMG]
    Had a couple of these yesterday but didn’t think to post here. Just cracked another one to enjoy from the front porch of my bunker. Very nice session IPA that I hadn’t heard of, but I’ll grab anything from Bale Breaker. Really great aroma, super drinkable. Cheers NWBA!

13. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (3,995) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society

[​IMG]
    Some of you have already posted about it.

Basically it's fine. I'd expect more. I consider Structures a generally excellent purveyor of NEIPAs, and I think of 3-Way as a generally excellent example of whatever they choose to make. So, "it's fine" is a bit of a disappointment.

Also, I'm really dissatisfied with the picture I took.

vurt, beertunes, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  14. vurt

Society

After some chores, a 15-mile bike ride, and a shower, I am enjoying some patio time with Mrs. vurt.

I am also thoroughly enjoying the newest edition of Occidental's Northwest Pilsner series. This time the collaborator is Wayfinder.

[​IMG]

Better malt depth than the previous collaboration, and all the lingering bitterness we've come to expect from this series. Very good indeed.

@DefenCorps I found it at New Seasons near Orenco Station. As my buddy James says, "Get you some."

15. vurt

Society

One good Pilsner collaboration deserves another, right?

[​IMG]

This is Jealous Butcher (the A Side) from Fort George and Von Ebert. Floral and slightly lemony hops on top of a bread-doughy base. A very nice and clean pilsner, though I still prefer Cathedral Tree.

#2095 vurt, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  16. Reidrover

Society

OK going with the lighter German inspired beers..Ex-Novo Krispy's Kolsch ( another one brewed in New Mexico).
    Excellent Kolsch..not often i say that for American versions..but this is stupendous.Most American versions are either dumbed down blonde ales or less hopped pils/lagers.
    This tastes like the real thing.
    Doing something right down in Corrales.

17. beertunes

Society Trader

Had a MoC/CD blend earlier, and now a Lemonade Sail (such a bad name). Probably time for one more before my bus.

rrock44, vurt and Reidrover like this.
  18. derftron

derftron Disciple (387) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Black Butte XXXII . Aged in Columbian rum barrels, cold brew coffee, vanilla, nutmeg, and orange peel. Excellent out of the gate, I’m expecting even better 12 months from now.

Also cool, now in 12oz bottles for $5 ! Cool bottle cap too :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. jason_nwx

Earlier drank a pFriem Sauv Blanc Golden Ale. If you like Sauvignon Blanc you’ll like this. Me, um...I can appreciate it.

Now ending the night with a Fremont Brew 3000. Was going to drink it for the holiday but it seems one of my dogs is very displeased with pre-Independence Day fireworks so I think I’ll be going for a drive tomorrow to the middle of nowhere. Or maybe Astoria. Either way no holiday beers for me tomorrow evening.

20. jason_nwx

I picked up a four-pack today and the cap really caught my eye, too!

vurt likes this.
  21. Reidrover

Society

2nd tonight out on the porch. Ruse Exit Dream..Bohemian Dark Lager..in collab with Modern Times apparently.
    Very nice indeed..after a let down with their Helles everything has been good from Ruse

rrock44, TheBricenator and vurt like this.
  22. vurt

Society

Tonight's theme is collaborations. This time it's the 4th Canniversary IPA from Alesong, in collaboration with Coldfire.

[​IMG]

Hazy and fruity. Pretty good, but I'm glad I bought a single instead of a 4-pack.

beertunes, rrock44, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  23. Reidrover

Society

Last one tonight Fremont Day Flying ..a Coconut IPA.
    Very interesting in a good way..the coconut seems to me more a suggestion rather than a up front aspect.

24. derftron

derftron Disciple (387) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Fred 101 and Adam 100 . Been drinking these Beers for 2 decades and they still are still 100% dialed in. Fred is sweet, Adam is smoky. Prost!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

beertunes, rrock44, vurt and 2 others like this.
  25. vurt

Society

The picture might not be what you wanted, but it's still a good picture. Especially the use of a pineapple as a unifying device. I like it.

And it informed me that a "Shelter in Place Beer Festival" with real glassware is a thing. I'm pretty happy to learn about that. Which means your picture is informative as well as decorative.

beertunes and snaotheus like this.
  26. heyhiggi

heyhiggi Initiate (75) Sep 6, 2014 Oregon
    Trader

12 Oz Black Butte Especial is genius

27. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (3,995) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society

Thank you for the kind words!

Shelter In Place Beer Festival 2020 is a fictional beer festival I created for my wife when the Washington Brewers' Festival was canceled this year. Washington Brewers' Festival is a yearly birthday activity for her, and my birthday gift to her was to replace it. I made the logo and had it printed on glasses (total quantity in the world = 6), got a stamp made and stamped some blank tokens, and created a fictitious ticket, too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2107 snaotheus, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    derkruk, beertunes, vurt and 5 others like this.
  28. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,176) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

Nice work! Sponsors, tokens, rare glassware, this festival has it all.

vurt, beertunes and snaotheus like this.
  29. beertunes

Society Trader

Well done!

snaotheus and vurt like this.
  30. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,683) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Starting the day off with a glass of Wanderjack. Have had a devil of a time finding any place around town that still had cans and now I can see why. This is absolutely delicious. Hope Breakside and Barley Brown continue to make this through the summer.

afrokaze, rrock44, Reidrover and 2 others like this.
  31. vurt

Society

I picked up another 4-pack yesterday, and intend to tear into it after I get back from a bike ride in about an hour.

Mrs. vurt is having one on the patio right now. She agrees with your "absolutely delicious" assessment.

32. beertunes

Society Trader

Needed a few ticking beers, so stopped by the store I don't care for. Starting off with a Kulshan Thirst Aid Station IPA, a nice little "classic" IPA.

rrock44 and Reidrover like this.
  33. beertunes

Society Trader

Next up; Oakshire Lagerbier, it's nice, but stickier and sweeter than I like in a Pils.

rrock44, Reidrover and 66jzmstr like this.
  34. vurt

Society

This Breakside/Barley Brown's Wanderjack IPA is absolutely hitting the spot. It's hitting spots I didn't know needed hitting. Or something like that. Bottom line, it's fantastic.

I spotted this display at New Seasons yesterday, and for my money it's not wrong.

[​IMG]

Right next to this display was a stack of 3-Way. Quite a contrast.

And then I thought, "That's not contrast. That's a decoy. People will swarm that 3-Way and leave all this delicious Wanderjack for me..."

sharpski, afrokaze, 66jzmstr and 3 others like this.
  35. beertunes

Society Trader

Now finishing up a Wander Intermission. Per the label: "two year blend of spontaneously fermented coolship ale aged in oak barrels". yes it is. Some nice fruit/wine notes, extremely dry finish. Ya might wanna grab one if you see it.

36. vurt

Society

Another!

[​IMG]

sharpski, afrokaze, rrock44 and 2 others like this.
  37. beertunes

Society Trader

Gonna go hang with some Hobos, but we seem to be a bit disorganized. Shrug. Finishing up a can of Block 15 Fresca Italian Pils.

38. ppilot

ppilot Initiate (116) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

You are the in luck because there's another canning run coming up somewhat soon apparently.

rrock44, Reidrover and John_M like this.
  39. vurt

Society

Taking things in a different direction for beer #3: Fort George Spruce Budd, an unhopped ale with spruce tips.

[​IMG]

Spruce without hops is really fruity, like some weird berries from the other side of the world that grow in peoples' backyards the way citrus grows in Southern California. Interesting beer, in a good way, but this is plenty to tide me over until Magnanimous hits the shelves in December.

sharpski, rrock44 and Reidrover like this.
  40. Reidrover

Society

I have to get some....damn