What Northwest beer are you drinking now? (2020)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,910) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Made a crappy choice at the store..bought a 6 pack of Ninkasi Peach Maiden The Shade "Summer IPA"..effin Jolly Rancher beer..gads. First one was OK ( 3.3 rating) now just sickening.
    Lucky i got a 12 pack of Rainier..

2. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,246) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Mix 'em. What have you got to lose?

woemad, beertunes and Reidrover like this.
  3. Reidrover

Society

of course i didnt..for once..The Rainier is ice cold and fine though!

Oh mix in the Ninkasi with the Rainier..thats a good idea

woemad and vurt like this.
  4. vurt

Society

It might end up like a peach radler. And it might end up disgusting. Mix 'em! Science!

Or you could try and make beer bread with the Ninkasi. All you need is 12 ounces of beer, 3 cups of self-rising flour*, a loaf pan, butter, heat, and time. If this sounds like the kind of Science! you'd be interested in, send me a beer-mail and I'll send you a link.

(* If you don't have that, you can DIY with 3 cups of all-purpose flour, a tablespoon of baking powder, and 2 teaspoons of salt.)

-----

Late last night I opened a bottle of 2019 Fremont Coconut B-Bomb, thinking it would make a good nightcap over several nights.

Success! It was delicious last night, and it may be slightly more delicious tonight.

woemad, DefenCorps, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  5. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,778) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

That's a pretty damning statement. Anytime I'm happy about using Ranier as a chaser following a glass of craft beer, that's one nasty can of craft beer.

IMHO, it's really a shame what ninkasi has done to this beer. When they first released it roughly a decade ago, maiden the shade was a very respectable ipa that I looked forward to every year. Not any more, and I think it says something that they now feel they need to make fruit infused versions of it.

woemad, Reidrover and beertunes like this.
  6. vurt

Society

Welcome to another edition of Sunday Morning Beer Bread! Our special guest this week is the delicious Occidental Edel-Hell:

[​IMG]

7. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

You and the missus have been doing this for a while now. Just curious... Is there a particular beer or beer style that you feel works better than all others?

woemad likes this.
  8. vurt

Society

I've had the best results so far with light, clean beers.

Bread made with IPA wasn't as good as bread made with a can of Oly.

The loaf I made with Lenzbock wasn't as good as the loaf I made this morning with Occidental Edel-Hell. (Fine with me. I'd rather drink Lenzbock than cook with it.)

I still want to try a few other beers for Science!, but I suspect I'll come back to light lagers for this recipe.

Edit: Are these beer bread posts too off-topic for this thread? Happy to get feedback from anyone reading this.

woemad and beertunes like this.
  9. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,695) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

As long as you use NW beers.......

woemad, jason_nwx, 66jzmstr and 2 others like this.
  10. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Exactly. LOL!

woemad, beertunes and vurt like this.
  11. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Married life can be such a minefield at times. I still haven't got the hang of it yet. @vurt, your beer bread always looks and sounds so good to me, and I appreciated you including the recipe in your post. I mentioned to my wife your post, and wouldn't it be fun to try that recipe sometime. It sounded way easier and less complicated than the recipe my wife uses, so I thought this would be appealing to her. Guess again John...

My suggestion did not sit well with my wife at all. She told me that of course she could make beer bread like that, and that there's nothing to it. However, she assured me I would almost certainly be disappointed, as I'd become accustomed to the beer bread she makes (which is indeed fabulous stuff). I quickly saw the error of my ways and where this conversation was going, and suddenly realized I have no interest in trying any beer bread other than the bread my wife makes. Oh well... I still think your bread looks fantastic...

woemad, DefenCorps, rrock44 and 4 others like this.
  12. Reidrover

Society

I dunno what it was the second bottle just became unbearable..so much Jolly Rancher style artificial peachness.
    I have had peach flavored beers before and thought this might be OK for a warm night..it wasn't.
    Anyway got 4 bottles to try the beer bread thing.

woemad, beertunes and vurt like this.
  13. Reidrover

Society

a wise man indeed.

woemad, beertunes, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  14. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Trying the new Black Butte anniversary beer from Deschutes. I haven't always been a fan of some of the barrel aging experiments Deschutes has engaged in, but this is pretty Impressive. Just noticed the 13.4% abv, so I believe I'll take my time with this one.

#2134 John_M, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    woemad, jason_nwx, DefenCorps and 4 others like this.
  15. bodybyadam

bodybyadam Aspirant (274) Aug 1, 2005 Washington

Hello folks been a while. Started my account while in ( Navy) but by that time I learned to drink better beer. I noticed Ninkasi mentioned recently but bad experience, yet as I'm reading I'm enjoying a Megaladom by Ninkasi. I tend to stay away from fruity or sour styles but willing to try. BTW, my wife makes a mean beer bread using a good stout.
    Elbows Up,
    Adam

16. NWer

NWer Champion (809) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

[​IMG]
    'nuf said. Delicious.

17. vurt

Society

On the patio, enjoying the long weekend's last Wanderjack IPA.

I hope you've had a good holiday, NW forum. Mine leaves me with few complaints. Cheers!

woemad, rrock44, Reidrover and 2 others like this.
  18. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (5,122) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

It was another weekend camping on Mt Hood for us, with some non PNW beers a Maja from 2017. It was tasty but a little disjointed right now. The scenery, though, was stunning It was our first time exploring the SE side of Hood, and Elk Meadows is particularly gorgeous.

woemad, vurt, beertunes and 1 other person like this.
  19. Reidrover

Society

Most Ninkasi beers are OK . Just a bad one last night.
    I still have a tallboy of Megladom sitting in the fridge

woemad, vurt, beertunes and 1 other person like this.
  20. Reidrover

Society

Just drank a Buoy Pale Ale. Really fresh can, less than 3 weeks old .
    Nice beer but nothing special .

21. bodybyadam

I have a Dr's video call in AM, time for another beer.

22. bodybyadam

Ditto on nothing special. Just making, I mean drinking some Cosmic Waves from Silver City.

23. vurt

Society

I just finished the bottle of 2019 Coconut B-Bomb I opened two nights ago.

Exquisite.

woemad, rrock44, 66jzmstr and 4 others like this.
  24. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (195) Jun 10, 2008 California

The 6er I picked up on Friday was canned on 6/30! I agree with your assessment, enjoyable beer but wouldn't pick it up over any other decent pale ale.

This weekend I also enjoyed...

Breakside Brandy Alexander - I'd put the sweetness on this one around "hershey's syrup". It's sweet, but it's not fudge or full on pastry stout. The ABV helps break it up. I enjoyed it, but it's definitely one to split with at least one other person.

Deschutes Black Butte XXXII - Great beer, but XXX has been my favorite in recent memory. The 12oz format is a welcome change.

Von Ebert Tensionless Hitch - Citra, Simcoe and Sultana hops make for an excellent citrusy IPA. It's not Wanderjack on the bitterness scale, but it is a great balanced IPA I could drink a lot of. Also Von Ebert has expanded their patio into the parking area on 13th. The permit out earlier this week suggests it might stay that way until November.

afrokaze, bodybyadam, woemad and 2 others like this.
  25. beertunes

Society Trader

Ticked off an Oakshire Reclaim the Fame IPa a few minutes ago. About to reach back into the box o ticks and see what's next.

26. beertunes

Society Trader

After a non-NW brew (well, maybe it was from NW Germany, I didn't check), I'm back with a Stoup Citra IPA. another "traditional" NW IPA.

sharpski, Reidrover, vurt and 2 others like this.
  27. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,631) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

After work I'm at Iron Goat, drinking a Lucky You pilsener. I actually mainly stopped by for a burrito. Sadly, they were all out of burrito fixin's, but the pils is a decent consolation.

Reidrover, beertunes, vurt and 2 others like this.
  28. muchloveforhops3

muchloveforhops3 Crusader (705) Apr 5, 2009 Oregon

Hey NWBAs- Hope you're all doing well!

I made it through Monday, so that's grounds for celebration :grin: . Currently trying my first brew from Future Primitive..

[​IMG]

Cheers!

sharpski, woemad, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  29. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Defender (612) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Drinking a Fort George/Buoy/Columbia Coffee Roaster Black is Beautiful tonight. If you like coffee you’ll enjoy it (I do).

We drive out to Astoria Saturday night trying to avoid fireworks for our pups (moderately successful). I put in a Fort George order before we left and two minutes later got a confirmation it was ready. When we got there FG was not busy at all - far different from previous summer visits, even on weeknights. Astoria was a ghost town.

Then we drive down to south of Cannon Beach. Dogs were so excited! The beach is their happy place. That lasted about five minutes, until some a-hole illegally started lighting fireworks. so we drove home after watching sunset from the car. I thought getting home (West Beaverton) at 10:45pm would be enough, but fireworks didn’t stop until 1am.

I’m rambling. FG’s Black is Beautiful is tasty and worth the drive, as if you need another reason. Their pickup is smooth. Everyone at FG was masked, but not so much elsewhere in Astoria-Seaside-Cannon Beach.

afrokaze, sharpski, rrock44 and 5 others like this.
  30. beertunes

Society Trader

Had short pour of that at a socially distanced share over the weekend. Sorry, I don't remember much about it, other than it was beer. :slight_frown:

vurt, woemad and muchloveforhops3 like this.
  31. bodybyadam

Enjoying a Magnificent Bastard Scoth Ale from SC Brewery. Any of you NW folk recall when this stuff was called, Fat Bastard, then Fat Scotch, then Walk On Egg Shells Beer? I miss the offensive law-suit names.

32. muchloveforhops3

muchloveforhops3 Crusader (705) Apr 5, 2009 Oregon

Agreed, @beertunes - drinkable, but not a real memorable IPA, unfortunately.

beertunes likes this.
  33. beertunes

Society Trader

Well, in fairness, the lack of impression is more due to my level of consumption, rather than anything to do with the beer. :wink:

I look forward to trying it again, under different circumstances .

muchloveforhops3, vurt and DefenCorps like this.
  34. woemad

Society Trader

I first had it when it was called Fat Bastard. I later had it when it was just called Fat.

sharpski and beertunes like this.
  35. woemad

Society Trader

Growing up with nervous dogs, we got into the habit of giving our dogs tranquilizers in my family. I'm not sure it helped. I think a stoned dog might actually be more freaked out by fireworks.

beertunes and jason_nwx like this.
  36. woemad

Society Trader

Forgot to post this last night, but for New Beer Sunday I hit a can of Whipsaw Stump Blower IPA:
    [​IMG]
    Clearly, it had been on a shelf for much too long. It was a musty, malty mess.
    Anybody have this beer fresh, and was it any good?

37. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (5,122) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Last night, when I heard the news, I stayed up a little too late, rewatching some of my favorite clips from Sergio Leone's westerns, just amazed by how Ennio Morricone was able to score those scenes perfectly. The beer on hand was, fittingly, LP Stout from Gigantic, a quite excellent stout.

afrokaze, TheBungyo, sharpski and 3 others like this.
  38. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I must have missed the Walk on Egg Shells iteration, but had the other two (didn't they just call it La Fat, or something like that, as well?). It was kind of confusing, as I wasn't always sure I was ordering the correct beer (I was a huge fan of the original beer, back when I was spending a lot of time at the Uber and Collins pub in Seattle). Been a long time since I sampled that beer, unfortunately.

39. beertunes

Society Trader

IIRC, Le Fat was a version made with Belgian yeast, and maybe soured too.

John_M and sharpski like this.
  40. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

The version I sampled wasn't soured, but yeah, now that you mention it, I think you're right.

Can't remember the guy's name (he used to be pretty active on BA many years ago - I think his nickname was knuckles), but Collins pub used to get their kegs of Silver City brewing as a favor. This was 15 or 20 years ago, when SC stuff wasn't generally available in Seattle I don't think. Anyway, this guy (knuckles?) would bring kegs over via the ferry, which is how I first got to sample Fat Bastard (with a name like that, I had to try it). I liked it immediately, but was always confused by the variations. It wasn't always clear if I was trying the same beer with a name change, or if there was a recipe change. They were all pretty good, even if they didn't always taste exactly the same.

woemad and beertunes like this.