What Northwest beer are you drinking now? (2020)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Jan 1, 2020.

1. PerfectPorter

PerfectPorter Initiate (92) Jul 30, 2010 Oregon

This is my favorite of the year so far.

The website description says June - July one off. The chalk board in Milwaukie says WANDERJACK 2020, so I'm assuming it will be at least in the annual summer rotation if they don't decide to go year round with it.

I heard Friday.

2. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (188) Jun 10, 2008 California

Stopped in Wayfinder this afternoon. My first beer was CZAF, which I thoroughly enjoyed but I think I find some of their other Pilsner offerings more in line with my tastes. Who would have guessed that Wayfinder would turn us all into Pilsner snobs!

But CZAF is not the reason I write this. Oh no. KOLLAPS is the reason I write this. One of the few stylistically accurate kölschs I’ve had in the US. Bright, crisp, a hint of Meyer lemon rind, nearly no malt heaviness. If you’ve been to Köln, this beer will bring back memories. Try this beer!

3. derftron

derftron Disciple (384) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Drinking a WanderJack. 3rd time around with this one. First time I really liked it, but last two pints I really love it. This is about as dialed in as an IPA can get for me.

Just a perfect amount of bitterness, grapefruit, citrus, hops. All together in a delicious blend. Well done Barley Browns and Breakside

afrokaze, TaborTime, vurt and 5 others like this.
  4. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Zealot (573) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

pFriem’s Nectarine Golden Ale is so good. The fruit goes so well with the yeast. If I didn’t already have a few beers (might be more than a few...) I’d buy a case if this every year.

woemad, sharpski, TaborTime and 3 others like this.
  5. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Champion (818) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

La Fat wasn't sour and was a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. Le Fat was a totally different beer. I remember really liking La Fat and would buy it often when it was around. Would love the chance to try it again but that'll probably never happen.
    And yes, Knuckles (Phil) was a huge Silver City and Collins Pub fan. I think he moved out to the middle of nowhere years ago and it kind of coincided with him not really posting here anymore.

woemad, Reidrover and beertunes like this.
  6. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,369) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I thought Le Fat was just Fat Bastard, with Belgian yeast? I know a guy I can ask. Will report back.

7. TheBungyo

Pretty sure Le Fat and La Fat were two separate beers.

woemad and beertunes like this.
  8. TheBungyo

beertunes likes this.
  9. beertunes

Society Trader

Right, I just thought Le Fat was Belgiany.

woemad likes this.
  10. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,665) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Thanks for the clarification. It's been some years now since I last sampled those beers from SC, and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Glad your memory is better than mine. Yes, that's right it was Phil. Back in the day, when you checked the online taplist at Collins Pub, in parentheses you would almost always see a "thanks Phil" next to the SC beer. Took me a while to figure out the connection.

Last time I spoke to him, appropriately enough it was over at Collins Pub. He mentioned some personal problems he was having at the time, and his intent to move out of the area. I kind of figured that was likely going to be the last time I would see him.

woemad likes this.
  11. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,805) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

[​IMG]
    Missoula’s considered Northwest, right? I think they’re mostly Seahawks/Mariners fans so yes. RIP Sonics. Still working on drinking down my cellar. This one from 2011. Great carbonation, delicious, wonderful mouthfeel. Maybe bottle conditioned? After 9 years who knows. Cheers NWBA!

ch3no2, woemad, 66jzmstr and 5 others like this.
  12. beertunes

Society Trader

Here's a cut and paste of the answer that I got in reply. It doesn't answer all our questions though:

"Hey Terry,
    Yes it was originally called Fat Bastard. We received a cease and desist order from the French winery that has that name so we switched it to Fat Scotch Ale. For our 20th anniversary we aged a batch in Macallan Scotch barrels for a year and released it as the Big Magnificent Bastard. It was well received and we liked the nod to the lineage of the beer so we changed the name to Magnificent Bastard when we released 6pk cans. We have now received and cease and desist from Stone brewing because they claim ownership of any beer with the mark “Bastard” (ironic I know) so it is now named The Magnificent Scotch Ale. If I was speaking this explanation I would be out of breath...."

And:

"Oh and Le Fat is now the Plump Bastard which is the Scotch ale aged with secondary fermentation with lacto, pedio, & brett in oak barrels and finished with plums. This will be the last year we release that though."

13. beertunes

Society Trader

Knocking back a stoup Cervecita Mexican Lager. Is OK senors.

rrock44, vurt and draheim like this.
  14. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,187) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I'm drinking a non-NW IPA which is quite good. Mrs. vurt asked me to share the can, and there was much batting of eyelashes, so right now her share is waiting for her in the fridge.

At the moment she's drinking some 3-Way IPA. I helped myself to a slug from the can. It's okay, but nothing I need more of after the 2 cans I've already had this year.

rrock44, TheBungyo and beertunes like this.
  15. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,173) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

Now I’m curious which beer got Mrs. Vurt’s eyelashes aflutter, even if it’s non-NW.

vurt and beertunes like this.
  16. beertunes

Society Trader

Dranking what, according to my list here, is my first Sticky Hands. Dated 6/22 (or 23, or 29, it's dated on the bottom rim, and it's hard to read), it's pleasant enough, but not blowing me away. Is there a lot of batch variation with this?

vurt and rrock44 like this.
  17. beertunes

Society Trader

I wonder if it's from Vurts native state?

18. vurt

Society

North Park Hop-Fu! IPA, out of San Diego. @jakecattleco is right: This is a fine IPA.

I wish I had another can or two.

#2178 vurt, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  19. derftron

Well this certainly works for me

[​IMG]

20. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

There is some, but in all honesty, Sticky Hands isn't a beer that's ever turned my clock around either. There's been a few batches that I thought were particularly good, but for most of the versions I've sampled, my reaction has been the same as yours. A good beer for sure, but never one that has gotten me all excited.

I just figured that the style isn't my cup of tea... As so many other consumers seem to really dig it.

21. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Zealot (573) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Picked up dinner at Top Burmese in downtown Beaverton tonight (highly recommend!) and grabbed another 4-pack of the Ex Novo/Upright Upright Citizen because it’s really that good.

22. beertunes

Society Trader

Well, according to UT, I've had it 4 times previously. Must have had it at shares. Well, now, it's official.

Reidrover likes this.
  23. vurt

Society

This is very good to know. I foresee a trip to Ex Novo in the near future...

Reidrover, jason_nwx and beertunes like this.
  24. wsucoug96

wsucoug96 Initiate (114) May 18, 2010 Washington
    Trader

Any Seattle-area sightings of Wanderjack? (Other than the Beer Junction, which posted about it today. Hard to get to West Seattle from Snoqualmie!)

sharpski and beertunes like this.
  25. derftron

I think some people dig that its a fresh double IPA at 8% for $3.29 / $3.49 (which is a fair bit less than all the other 16oz cans of IPA/IIPAs)

i loved it when it was released once a month or every other month in large format bottles with different hops/ingredients. had a can for the first time in a while a few weeks ago and i liked it a lot, but not a mind blowing experience

26. drone

drone Disciple (384) Jun 17, 2013 Washington
    Trader

Sticky Hands has a special spot in my heart. I've been drinking it since it was in bottles. At its peak, it's my ideal IPA with a robust malt presence, massive pine bitterness and citrus, and enough "dankness" to warrant its name. Unfortunately, much like my experience with Boneyard's RPM, the batch variance is so erratic I never really know what I'm going to get. Sometimes it's dank and piney, sometimes it's sweeter and more malt driven, and other times it's just middling.

And much like RPM, B15 doesn't publicly post the hop bill for the beer, so I wonder if they too play around with what goes in from time to time.

dirtylou, Reidrover and vurt like this.
  27. derftron

there has to be something with IPAs that make the really good ones hard to scale up in mass quantity. there have been dozens of examples over the years where an IPA falls off a bit or a LOT when the production ramps up. I wonder what brewers think causes this? buying cheaper hops in bulk? different water source?

I know it isnt all in our heads that when beer "x" becomes less-rare, then all of a sudden its not as good.

Reidrover likes this.
  28. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

The versions of SH that I really liked, were invariably very fresh and on draft. It seemed like the hop profile dominated the flavor profile, with the malt backing the considerable hop punch just enough to keep things in balance. The versions I didn't care for as much, seemed sweeter and maltier, without sufficient hoppy bitterness to balance and counter the sweetness. Those versions also came across as hotter and boozier, which sometimes made it a chore to drink.

Also, I think my taste in IPA's has likely changed over time as well. Increasingly, I don't want to drink an 8% or 9% IPA, as the alcohol level just wipes me out too quickly. Consequently, I just don't order SH all that often any more.

29. TaborTime

TaborTime Disciple (320) Dec 10, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

This. Some of the 750ml variants (first iteration of Tropical Slam is a prime example) were definitely in the "mind-blowing" category.

John_M, Reidrover and vurt like this.
  30. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Completely agree about the tropical slam. Probably explains why it seemed to fly off the shelf.

Can you recall any of the regular bottling/canning versions that you had that kind of reaction to?

31. beertunes

Society Trader

I wouldn't mind having a couple 2011 Bluehairs in my cellar!

draheim likes this.
  32. beertunes

Society Trader

So, after all electrons spent praising the virtues of Wanderjack on this forum, when I saw a single today, a purchase was mandatory. for science, of course. Y'all weren't lying, this is a good beer. Hope to grab a 4-pack.

afrokaze, vurt and rrock44 like this.
  33. beertunes

Society Trader

Next up is a 11.3oz can can (wut?) of Atwood Ales New Normal, a can-conditioned Pale. beer was fine, but they used those sucky lids where most of the lid comes off with the tab. Too much beer was spilt.

rrock44 and vurt like this.
  34. vurt

Society

I'm having another non-NW IPA (from my home state, as @beertunes correctly noted yesterday).

However, I think I will be making a return to NW beers soon, as 1) I expect to share this can with Mrs. vurt, 2) it's been a "more than 1 beer" kind of day, and 3) there's Wanderjack in the fridge.

rrock44, sharpski and beertunes like this.
  35. derftron

Drinking Adam on nitro at Apex. Also, they take card now! Only took a global pandemic.

[​IMG]

afrokaze, ch3no2, rrock44 and 6 others like this.
  36. beertunes

Society Trader

Think I'm looking forward to most is being able to pay cash again.It annoys the hell out of me that I've gotta use plastic for minor purchases. There's a crepe shop in town that's been open for walk-up. They sell fresh made cookies, for fifty cents each. sometimes, there's only 1 cookie left. I gotta swipe my card for fifty damn cents. That is bullshit.

vurt likes this.
  37. beertunes

Society Trader

Finishing up my first from Varietal, Twine Climber IPA. The label says this is their flagship, and contains the Hop Trinity: Citra, Mosaic, and Simcoe. It's fine, but much like the recent Sticky Hands experience, it's just not really pushing my buttons. Shrug?

rrock44 and vurt like this.
  38. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,579) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

I remember Phil. We communicated regularly for a time. He was supposed to stop off in Spokane with some SC beers at one point when he was driving across the country. He got a late start and wanted to get to Missoula to hit a favorite bar there at a decent hour, so it never happened.

TheBungyo, vurt and beertunes like this.
  39. woemad

Society Trader

Depends on the beer. I've had some awfully malty western Montana IPAs. But, yeah, it's sorta PNW, at least to this eastern Washington BA.

rrock44, draheim and beertunes like this.
  40. woemad

Society Trader

Off work for the week, at Iron Goat, and I'm hitting a burrito and a Buzzsaw McThunder IPA aged in Dry Fly gin barrels.
    [​IMG]

rrock44, sharpski, vurt and 3 others like this.