What Northwest beer are you drinking now? (2020)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Jan 1, 2020.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,575) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

What's in that burrito? I had the cooks at work yesterday whip me up a BBQ pulled pork, with rice and three cheeses, burrito for my shift meal yesterday. I shoulda got two.

rrock44, woemad, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  2. beertunes

Society Trader

It's laundry night, so I'm gonna roll home, and drink some fridge beers. But first, this can of Stoup German style PIls is doing OK by me.

rrock44, woemad, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  3. beertunes

Society Trader

I mean, I understand, during our modern time, the less cash the better (probably), and don't fault them. Just, as a cash spender, the card thing really slows me down.

woemad and Reidrover like this.
  4. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,886) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Yup been using cash for a year..it also helps your budget

woemad and beertunes like this.
  5. Reidrover

Society

Been a long day..first tonight North Jetty Honorable Mention IPA..very good IPA.
    It pours like a hazy but tastes like a traditional PNW IPA..these guys know how to brew. I have enjoyed every beer from them..they are far from fashionable i guess!

66jzmstr, rrock44, woemad and 3 others like this.
  6. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,229) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Dinner on the porch (Mrs. vurt's famous kimchi fried rice--noms!), then I cleaned up the kitchen, and now we're out on the porch again listening to the rain. The air smells gorgeous and the evening sky is Creamsicle orange. Lovely.

Mrs. vurt is having an Ecliptic SunRay Juicy IPA, and has good things to say about it. I'm having a Wanderjack, which is outstanding.

rrock44, beertunes, jason_nwx and 4 others like this.
  7. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,891) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Technically the eastern extent of the PNW is the Continental Divide, depending on who you ask—so I think it’s fair to consider any western Montana beer a Northwest beer.

VashonGuy, NWer, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  8. TheBricenator

TheBricenator Aspirant (238) Nov 13, 2007 Oregon

Settling in with a Ruse Evertide Helles Lager and I must say this is quite delicious. Only my second beer from them but after having and enjoying Exit Dream, I wanted to give this a try and glad I did. I'm only kicking myself that I didn't crack it earlier this evening after mowing the lawn. Cheers!

rrock44, beertunes, vurt and 2 others like this.
  9. Reidrover

Society

I thought it was terrible.maybe got a bad can or my taste buds were compromised. It was to me and OK American Lager..but a bad helles

TheBricenator and beertunes like this.
  10. Reidrover

Society

Having trouble finding Wanderjack in Salem..ah well good excuse to peruse the taprooms

beertunes likes this.
  11. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,612) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Seasoned ground beef, cheddar, rice, black bean puree, crema, lettuce and diced onions. It was more spicy than it sounds, in a good way.

12. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Zealot (595) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Sasquatch’s nitro version of Black is Beautiful is damn good. And they delivered to my porch!

And FG’s City of Dreams is still delicious. Have to check every so often.

rrock44, vurt, Reidrover and 2 others like this.
  13. woemad

Society Trader

After IG, I bolted to River City, and drank a barrel aged Midnight Marmot while watching a 70s Chicago concert with my older friend Paul, who Is more versed in Chicago than I am.
    [​IMG]
    I also dispatched a couple barrel aged Colonel Crusher barleywines while watching the trains go by.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. vurt

Society

15. woemad

Society Trader

Finishing up at Brick West.
    This is Good GPA, a "German Pale ale", brewed in collaboration with Whistle Punk and Perry Street.
    [​IMG]

16. Reidrover

Society

Going gluten free now.. Ground Breaker Paddy Porter..its not too bad, but nothing on the original

rrock44, woemad and vurt like this.
  17. TheBricenator

TheBricenator Aspirant (238) Nov 13, 2007 Oregon

Now onto Bend's Devil's Cabbage Dank IPA. My second go around with this one and again, this is easily the 'dankest' beer I've tried that used that term in it's description. It's good as I'm into that flavor/aroma profile but this is definitely a pallet wrecker for me and therefore a one-and-done. Oh yeah, and I need Wanderjack in my life - good to hear they are doing another canning run.

18. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,753) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Hope you have better luck than I did. So far, I've had no luck finding it on tap around town here in PDX.

Reidrover likes this.
  19. vurt

Society

Not even at Breakside's Milwaukie Taproom?

20. PerfectPorter

PerfectPorter Initiate (102) Jul 30, 2010 Oregon

4-packs of Wanderjack available online now.

vurt likes this.
  21. PerfectPorter

PerfectPorter Initiate (102) Jul 30, 2010 Oregon

I noticed some variation with pFriem IPA cans I picked up at Fred Meyer. I think the sixer I got may have been pulled off the shelf and then returned later by a customer because it was in the Pilsner section. Friend said it finished like a Pilsner. I thought it just had a little skunk on the end and felt thinner than usual. When pFriem IPA is on it goes down really easy with a smooth almost creamy mouthfeel, these were just a little harder to put down than I'm used to. Looking forward to pFriem reopening their outdoor dining. I'm glad they're not rushing it though.

22. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I would assume it's likely on tap over there, though I haven't checked. My comment was just an observation that it doesn't appear as if many kegs have been moved into distribution (and so let @Reidrover know that he might encounter similar problems trying to find it on tap down in Salem).

vurt likes this.
  23. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Speaking of Sticky Hands, I've noticed that several places in town are listing DDH Sticky Hands on tap. Anyone try it yet?

24. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Starting the weekend with a wanderjack. Really hitting the spot this warm afternoon.

25. beefandbean22

beefandbean22 Aspirant (281) Oct 15, 2008 Oregon
    Trader

Getting this Friday going. Had an Alluvial from Sunriver Brewing. Very good WC IPA. Now onto this years 3-Way. Had to get a can just to try it. For the most part, hazies are just tasting all the same for me nowadays. There are some better ones, and much worse ones, but I would say 69% of them just taste very similar. This 3 Way tastes fine, but nothing I would buy again. Can't wait to dig into the 2 4-packs I bought earlier tho, Kollaps from Wayfinder and Wanderjack, yay!

26. beertunes

Society Trader

Getting to the end of a bottle of Sauvie from Ale Apothecary I grabbed last week. It's damn good, but I'm glad it's in a 12.7oz bottle, instead of a 750. The price per ounce is about the same, so it's not a bargain buy, but it's a bargain for the quality.

27. vurt

Society

Now that is a fine idea, John. Think I'll do the same.

[​IMG]

28. beertunes

Society Trader

Next up was Harbor Hefeweizen from San Juan Brewing. It was canned in March, so it's a bit faded. But, it's a pleasant evening, and I was in the mood for a wheat beer. Why is there such a lack of Hefe's and Wits from our NW breweries? There seems to plenty of "American Pale Wheat" beers around, but few of these dudes.

woemad, rrock44 and vurt like this.
  29. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (5,066) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Where are y'all finding Wanderjack around town? I've struck out 3 times this week :-(

30. vurt

Society

Has anyone tried Coldfire's Indie Batch German-style Helles? I'd like to give it a shot, but Whole Foods Tanasbourne frowns on breaking up 4-packs, and there's no date stamp on the cans.

If it's worth a shot I'll commit to the 4-pack (the price is agreeable), but otherwise I'll give it a pass.

31. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Wayfinder makes a terrific one down here in pdx. But I know what you mean... it's surprising there aren't more good ones around.

woemad and beertunes like this.
  32. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Zealot (595) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Had my first Wayfinder CZAF tonight: yum! Not sure it’s Oregon’s best as the Beervana podcast determined, but it’s pretty dang close.

33. vurt

Society

Whole Foods Tanasbourne has been a pretty reliable source.

34. Reidrover

Society

Drinking "Pub Beer" camping near Santiam pass tonight. Just wonderful. ...

35. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Starting off with the Ft George/ Von Ebert Jealous Butcher side B tonight, which is the dry hopped version of the side A. It's solid, but as a better man than myself said, it's no Cathedral Tree.

Reidrover, woemad, rrock44 and 2 others like this.
  36. drone

drone Disciple (385) Jun 17, 2013 Washington
    Trader

Out of curiosity, where would you rank it?

Currently enjoying an Old Schoolhouse Brewing's After Dark; classically west coast. Really digging this one. I think I've been sleeping on OSB.

37. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Next up was the Occidental/Wayfinder NW Pils. The name should have given it away, but I wasn't expecting a Strata pils, as tasty as it was. The can of Bierweek that came after, though? Unambiguously delicious

Reidrover, vurt, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  38. ppilot

ppilot Initiate (119) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

Quick shout out to Newport Brewing. They've been open less than a year but I tried a bunch of their beers and they were all at least good. Also did a really good job with their space. Overall great addition to the coast beer scene

39. woemad

Society Trader

Followed breakfast with a vanilla coffee porter from YaYa called Riverbend:
    [​IMG]
    Not impressed. YUGE amounts of vanilla, with very little else, and quite watery. I'll stick to their IPAs in the future.

DefenCorps, Reidrover, vurt and 2 others like this.
  40. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,194) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

I think it was just a coincidental font choice, but the layout of “Riverbend” on that label made me wonder at first glance if it was a collaboration with the Bend brewery.

woemad and vurt like this.