What Northwest beer are you drinking now? (2020)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Jan 1, 2020.

1. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,682) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Drinking a glass of ddh sticky hands at nw growlers. Undeniably good, but the alcohol on the finish is a bit off putting. No problem choking it down, but it's just not my jam.

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,532) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Just finished work, and having a Cedar Dust with coworkers. Up next is probably a Lemonade Sail. Nice beer, dumb nane.

3. rrock44

rrock44 Disciple (355) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

Faster than a speeding (hop) bullet.
    [​IMG] BTW...it is glorious.

woemad, beertunes and vurt like this.
  4. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,219) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I put some miles on the bike this morning/afternoon and brought back some tasty beverages.

First up: Hair of the Dog Lila

[​IMG]

Very tasty lager, satisfyingly malty. Seems like a Helles to me.

woemad, beertunes and rrock44 like this.
  5. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Zealot (590) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Dug into the cellar today and pulled out my last bottle of de Garde‘s The Broken Truck. I remember getting this at Tin Bucket. My wife and I were waiting for sandwiches at Bunk and they posted on Twitter to come on down for bottles, so we did. I think I paid $12/bottle, which seemed ridiculous at the time. Been saving it for...something. Random July Saturday, I guess? It aged really nicely: still bright and citrusy, light acidity, a little funk. Probably could hold up for many more years.

I told my wife how much these were selling for online and her jaw dropped ($300+). Not my scene.

afrokaze, woemad, snaotheus and 4 others like this.
  6. beertunes

Society Trader

Holy fuckballs Batman!

woemad, jason_nwx and vurt like this.
  7. beertunes

Society Trader

Rolled across the street to Gruff, where I at least held to the theme: Spruce It Up Winter Warmer.

Not as sprucey as I was hoping.

woemad, vurt and rrock44 like this.
  8. beertunes

Society Trader

So, except for my work, the only brewery I've had beers at, since we hit stage2, is Gruff. I'm there now, in their spacious outdoor area, talking to doggos.

Well, who just clocked on? My favorite of their awesome staff, Lindsey. Her first shift since since the lockdown. She thanks me for loaning her the Thomas Harris trilogy, Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs, and Hannibal.

So, I'm drinking a fresh Space Cadet Lindsey IPA.

Feels almost normalish.

woemad, John_M, snaotheus and 3 others like this.
  9. vurt

Society

Next up: Jealous Butcher Pilsner (the B-side) from Fort George and Von Ebert. Even more hoppy and snappy than the A-side, which I think I prefer. I guess I like my pilsners a bit more refined, or more in the Upright Engelberg Pilsner style if they're going to boost the hops like this.

[​IMG]

10. vurt

Society

Grab a can of Fort George Spruce Budd if you see any in your neighborhood. Easily the spruciest beer I've ever had. Makes their winter seasonal Magnanimous IPA seem spruce-anemic by comparison.

11. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (5,046) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Yeah, and if it isn't a collab, that label just screams C&D to me

woemad and sharpski like this.
  12. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Drinking this last night made me realize that pilsners are just a hard, if not impossible style to riff on. This is especially painfully obvious when the brewery has an excellent pils in their rotation (see, for example, Upright's Jasmine Pearl vs Engelberg, Heater Allen's Comet or Galaxy pils vs the regular, or this beer vs Cathedral Tree). Either that, or I'm just old and ornery.

woemad, beertunes, jason_nwx and 2 others like this.
  13. derftron

derftron Disciple (387) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Johns Market in SW just got restocked. Canned 2 days ago!

beertunes, John_M, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  14. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Zealot (508) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

Just enjoyed an Ecliptic x Ruse Italian-style pilsner. I’m still not sure what exactly constitutes an Italian-style pols, but it was certainly a delicious brew.

woemad, Reidrover, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  15. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (3,991) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society

I may or may not remember correctly, but I think I met one of the Gruff founders in a class I took a few years ago. But I never get to spend any real time at breweries when I'm up in Bellingham, because I always have my kids in tow.

How're their beers?

woemad and beertunes like this.
  16. 66jzmstr

Society

Now on to a saison (perhaps a grisette?) by Garden Path Fermentation Project: The Dry Hopper Streams Well. 4.6%, bottled a year and a half ago, wonderful band-aid flavor with hints of lemon and honey.

Wonderful stuff, and my apprehension at committing to a full 750mL by myself evaporated. I’ll enjoy every last ounce of this bottle.

[​IMG]

woemad, beertunes, rrock44 and 2 others like this.
  17. rrock44

Sticking with fanboyism. Switched to the regular version. It is tasting a lot better and more like the NOG I know and love (you might remember me being disappointed with their first ever canning back in May; in hindsight I bet it was old beer they canned since they probably had a shit ton of kegs restaurants and bars weren’t buying. But this is pure speculation on my part). Canned June 23rd.

[​IMG]
    So now, do I like super NOG or NOG better? Toss up, but know this, super NOG is dangerous. The 8.2 is well hidden.

woemad, Reidrover, sharpski and 3 others like this.
  18. 66jzmstr

Society

I had a three-day, two-night conference in Kennewick two summers ago, and being able to find NOG damn near anywhere - even in establishments that were clearly *not* beer-centric - was such a treat.

I remember your recent posts, so I’m glad it’s coming back to what we expect, know, and love in NOG.

rrock44 and woemad like this.
  19. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Zealot (590) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Breakside’s Morning Dew collab with Fathead’s to finish the night. Not sure what Fathead’s brought because this tastes like a modern PNW IPA. Malty, murky (but not really northeast hazy), and a nice piney bitter finish.

afrokaze, rrock44, woemad and 2 others like this.
  20. beertunes

Society Trader

Mostly solid and enjoyable. A few that are very nice, and, like anywhere, the occasional misfire.

woemad and snaotheus like this.
  21. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,604) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Cross post with the WBAYDN thread:

Was out running errands on the south hill, so I stopped by Republic Pi for lunch and a couple pints.
    Started off with Chuckanut's Vienna Lager, which was as awesome as I remembered it.
    [​IMG]
    Then, I had a 3-Way (no, the Fort George beer - I was in the middle of a restaurant, after all). This year's version was brewed with the participation of Structures and Level.
    [​IMG]
    On my way home, Perry Street beckoned. I had their Peach Sour:
    [​IMG]
    and their Strata IPA, a kind of "new school" west coast IPA:
    [​IMG]

22. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,879) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Back from my camping at the pass.
    Bought a 6 pack of Boneyard Hop-a-Wheelie..someone on here compared it most favorably to RPM..and they were right its a really nice tropical/PNW hybrid IPA..and clear as glass.

beertunes, rrock44 and woemad like this.
  23. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,879) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

sounds great to me!

jason_nwx and woemad like this.
  24. woemad

Society Trader

Whoa! Cans of standard NOG have made their way to Spokanistan. Hopefully these will, too. God only knows when I'll actually get down that way again.

beertunes and rrock44 like this.
  25. woemad

Society Trader

Nope. Just a coffee porter from a little Spokane Valley brewery that's mainly popular for their hazies.

rrock44 likes this.
  26. woemad

Society Trader

A good NOG is a beautiful thing.

rrock44 and 66jzmstr like this.
  27. vurt

Society

I agree that it's hard to do a pilsner variation that still succeeds as a pilsner. It isn't a style that lends itself to exaggeration or embellishment.

You can't load it down with adjuncts. You can vary the hops, but the variations tend to draw attention to themselves when you do. Chuckanut's Citra Leaf Pils was a successful use of a non-traditional ingredient. Occidental's new NW Pilsner collab with Wayfinder, which featured Strata hops, was still a good beer, but not because of the Strata hops. Heater Allen is about to release a Cashmere pilsner variant, and I can't quite fathom what that will be like.

I think Cathedral Tree works so well as a pilsner variant because the oak character is rather subtle.

What else? Fresh hops? I thought Baerlic's Fresh Hop Hellsner was superb--again, because the character they added was subtle and harmonious. We can use more fresh hop pilsners.

Naikoon, rrock44, 66jzmstr and 2 others like this.
  28. DefenCorps

Society Trader

That Occidental/Wayfinder beer left me feeling...cold. it was good, but felt clinical and did not spark joy, the way either brewer's flagship pils does. Maybe I just had unrealistic expectations. I am looking forward to the Cashmere pils, and the Cotra Leaf pils is spectacular even considering the competition

The Von Ebert Decocted Helles is tasty, but the new Deschutes Black Butte XXXII is mighty fine.

jason_nwx, vurt and rrock44 like this.
  29. rrock44

I checked out their website based on your post. The space does look great. I like the ocean themed names for the beers. I am curious, a couple of questions. Which beers have you tried and what are your faves? Are sixers available to go?

30. vurt

Society

Sunday Morning Beer Bread, 12 July 2020: Made with Upright Citizen, the delicious extra special bitter by Ex Novo and Upright:

[​IMG]

This beer has a subtle English ale yeast flavor, just like the loaf I made with Machine House Dark Mild a while back.

31. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Well, if you can promise they'll all be like Occidental's version last year, I'm all in. Unfortunately, so few seem to be that distinctive. Even the Occidental... While amazing fresh, was barely a shadow of the beer I tried fresh at the brewery, roughly two weeks after being tapped.

Speaking of which.... Won't be long before the most wonderful time of the year (at least from a beer standpoint).

66jzmstr and vurt like this.
  32. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Am at the Horsebrass, with a glass of Chuckanut pils and knee deep courtside ipa. The Chuckanut is not showing all that well... Either the brass isn't being all that assiduous about cleaning their taplines, or the beer has simply been on the gas too long.

Frankly, as places in town slowly start to reopen, I'm surprised this isn't a more common problem.

woemad, rrock44 and vurt like this.
  33. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Initiate (151) Feb 21, 2012 Oregon
    Trader

Their lines are about as clean as their bathroom.

34. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I've seen a number of people express similar concerns. Over the years, I've been there quite a few times, and can't say I've encountered similar problems. But yeah... Pretty hard to reach any other conclusion today. I was embarrassed for them after drinking the Chuckanut pils today.

35. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Now drinking a glass of fuck cancer from silver moon. Wow! What an easy drinking, easy to appreciate and enjoy ipa ftom Silver Moon.

sharpski, rrock44 and vurt like this.
  36. vurt

Society

Having braved Winco for our biweekly shopping, Mrs. vurt and I are recharging our batteries with beers on the patio.

And in this literal photo of beers on the patio, Mrs. vurt is enjoying an Ex Novo Returning to the Fold (left), a single-hop hazy IPA made with Nelson Sauvin hops. Meanwhile, I'm savoring a Ferment Helles (right) which is just wonderful.

[​IMG]

woemad, jason_nwx, John_M and 2 others like this.
  37. rrock44

Well, all the cool kids are doing it. I dig it and would buy again (but remember where I live :wink:)

[​IMG]

38. vurt

Society

Nice Aslan glass.

39. vurt

Society

Waiting to see if it's going to be too breezy to fire up the Smokey Joe for some burgers. Doesn't seem promising at this point, but we'll see what happens over the next half hour or so.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying an Upright Citizens ESB from Ex Novo and Upright.

Malty English goodness. Yum.

40. beertunes

Society Trader

One of the Hobos took a job down in the Bothell area, just before the shut down. His wife is gonna keep her job up here. They went south house shopping today, and I dogsitting duty. As a reward, I got some new HM and Fremont cans.

Also, we went to Gruff and had a couple pints (2 Space Cadet Lindsey IPA s for me). At BB now, having a Lemonade Sail. Have I mentioned how dumb the name of this beer Is?

rrock44, woemad, sharpski and 2 others like this.