What Northwest beer are you drinking now? (2020)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,886) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

At the coast. Depoe Bay Brewing. Good food and judging by this Sea Witch Porter..much improved beers

2. imnodoctorbut

imnodoctorbut Devotee (401) Feb 19, 2016 Texas

Powell IPA by Hopworks Urban. it was great, would 10 out of 10 do again.

rrock44, woemad, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  3. imnodoctorbut

anybody else miss being able to "like" other people's beer reviews?

that was dope while it lasted.

4. imnodoctorbut

JEALOUS

TheBricenator likes this.
  5. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Zealot (595) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Had a nice FG Vortex earlier. Now finishing the night with a Deschutes Black Butte XXXII. I think it’s delicious, but we got dinner from Eem and my entire mouth is on fire so who really knows?

Stopped in at the new John’s today. That’s a great space! Well organized, lots of space for distancing. Spent more than I should have (you know, like every visit to John’s). Found the ultra fresh Wanderjack and grabbed some of the Draper Brewing bottles they got in - very excited about those.

6. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,229) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Wind calmed down, so I loaded up the barbecue and hung around nearby while the coals came up to speed. I am happy to report there were no incidents, and the burgers and corn-on-the-cob were BBQ'd to an advanced state of deliciousness.

Cracked open a can of Breakside/Barley Brown's Wanderjack IPA as Mrs. vurt and I sat down to eat. So, so good.

I also put a can on Mrs. vurt's side of the beer crisper, because we're cool like that.

VashonGuy, afrokaze, 66jzmstr and 6 others like this.
  7. Reidrover

Society

You guys are teasing me.. Even taphouses that get Barley Browns and Breakside stuff all the time don't have this here..grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

beertunes likes this.
  8. ppilot

ppilot Initiate (119) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

Honestly everything was pretty good but I really liked their pale ale. You can can get singles of everything they have in addition to the standard four and six packs.

rrock44 likes this.
  9. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (5,066) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

If all was right in the world, @vurt 's tip that the Whole Foods in Tanasbourne had Wanderjack would continue be true. And this year's 3 way would be a good beer. Alas, all is not right in the world, so I have no Wanderjack, and this year's 3 way is burning my throat :-(

vurt, beertunes and Reidrover like this.
  10. Reidrover

Society

Not really beer related but isn't Oregon amazing. Thursday and Friday nights camping in a Forest at 5000 ft beside a lake ( free)..then Sunday at the wild Pacific coast.
    Next Thursday im heading off to Burns,,probably camp at Idlewild and head into town

11. rrock44

rrock44 Disciple (366) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

Good info. Will be in south Newport next week for a socially distanced trip to the coast. Will be bringing all our food and avoid the town. Basically a new prison with a much better view. And better walk (on the beach). Got permission from the boss to mask up, grab some beers and sanitize. Was planning on Rogue (when in Rome, er Newport). WIll make a stop to Newport Brewing, as well.

woemad, sharpski, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  12. Reidrover

Society

The Coast was very busy today but 75% were wearing masks and taking distancing serious. There is always a few "rebels" though.
    If your going during the week there will be plenty beaches were you will have few humans. Just get away from Lincoln City or Newport beaches.
    I was going to try Newport Brewing today but they appeared closed ( sunday?)..anyway there was no cars outside and just a homeless guy sprawled on the patio

rrock44 likes this.
  13. Reidrover

Society

Also little known Bier One makes some good beers.

rrock44 and vurt like this.
  14. vurt

Society

Well crud, I am sorry to hear both of those things, man.

DefenCorps likes this.
  15. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,753) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

For those who live here in PDX, the Zupan's over in MacAdam still has 4 packs of Wanderjack. At least they did as of Friday.

DefenCorps and rrock44 like this.
  16. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I know you're based out of Salem, but if you can make the drive to the coast and places like Burns, why not shoot up to the Breakside brewery in Milwaukie some afternoon or early evening? I'd call ahead just to be sure, but my guess is that they likely have cans of Wanderjack available to go, and likely on tap as well.

Just saying...

Reidrover likes this.
  17. Reidrover

Society

I know i should. Just hate the traffic.

18. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,575) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

As mentioned last night, friends went house shopping yesterday, and I watched the doggo. I'm having a Holy Mountain Second Death Helles, that was part of my pay package. Nice crisp beer.

19. beertunes

Society Trader

Now, a Fremont Gold Standard Dortmunder. Nice, but a bit sweeter than I like in a Lager.

20. beertunes

Society Trader

Starting todays beers off with a Birra de Fremonti Italian Pils. Nice, not as citrusy as some others.

Reidrover, woemad, vurt and 2 others like this.
  21. Superheatnsubcool

Superheatnsubcool Disciple (329) May 31, 2016 Washington

Machine House Brewery x Lowercase Brewing London Lager. “Our second iteration of this recipe features open fermented lager beer brewed with Baird’s London Lager malt, Paul’s Pale malt, First Gold and Archer hops. Truly, some of the UK’s finest.” Drinking straight from the 16oz can.

You can really get an appreciation for the premium ingredients, and it gets even better as it warms up a bit. The nose and flavor is round, doughy/bready malt, light notes of floral/earthy hops. Medium carbonation, slightly viscous mouthfeel but finishes crisp and encourages you to take another sip.Really fantastic stuff.

Reidrover, woemad, 66jzmstr and 6 others like this.
  22. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (568) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon
    Brewery

As someone mentioned earlier, the Wayfinder Kollapse kolsch is easily the best example of the style I've had in years, maybe ever. The decocted Pils was really nice too, but the kolsch was so light, crispy, tangy... I had to stop myself since I was driving home but I'm definitely going back for more next weekend.

Reidrover, woemad, rrock44 and 6 others like this.
  23. jason_nwx

Trying out this Wanderjack y’all love. Grassy and clean (and clear!) - really nice west coast IPA. Tasty!

24. muchloveforhops3

muchloveforhops3 Defender (699) Apr 5, 2009 Oregon

Some of this tonight:

[​IMG]

Cheers, friends!

25. beertunes

Society Trader

I liked that quite a bit. and the label is awesome. It's a western shirt. Peel it off the can and stick it somewhere. When it's laid out, it's great!

26. vurt

Society

Rough day at work. A can of Upright Citizens ESB was the perfect belt sander for those rough edges.

Following up with a bottle of a non-NW seasonal barleywine from Chico, CA. Just what I need to go from "sander" to "sandman."

27. beertunes

Society Trader

Having a Ferment Bottom Ferment-Helles. Nice beer, not really a stand-out, but enjoyable.

vurt, rrock44 and Reidrover like this.
  28. beertunes

Society Trader

Finishing up a Hellbent 5th Anniversary Hazy IPA. This beer defines average, for it's style.

rrock44 and vurt like this.
  29. vurt

Society

Tonight it's Ecliptic Starburst IPA for me and Mrs. vurt. Flavorful, aromatic, bitter, and agreeably priced. Always welcome in the rotation at stately Vurt Manor.

[​IMG]

30. derftron

derftron Disciple (390) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Was at Fred Meyer and wanted a 6 pack of pils. Surprising lack of interesting options. Settled on some Buoy czech pils. Delicious and super drinkable at 6.2%

https://imgur.com/a/GzU91xH

31. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

No pfreim pils? That's always my go to. My local FM usually is well supplied with it (though it does sell well there).

Reidrover, 66jzmstr and beertunes like this.
  32. beertunes

Society Trader

After my mildly disappointing last can, I'm recovering with a can of Wanderjack. The Food Coop only had singles, i still wanna buy a 4-pack.

rrock44, Reidrover and vurt like this.
  33. Reidrover

Society

1st tonight Bend Tropic Pines..i love this IPA..very fruity, but still has a bit of a hop bite underneath.
    Great Oregon summer beer.
    Bend Brewing sure is making some awesome beers nowadays!

34. Reidrover

Society

My local Freddy's have gone so far down hill as far as "craft" beer is concerned in the last 3 years. Mostly Bud and Miller "micros" and a few outlier like Buoy, Rogue..maybe a 500 ml of Gigantic

beertunes likes this.
  35. beertunes

Society Trader

I was grabbing me some ticking brews today, and saw a Stemma can that said "One Year Anniversary Release", so I grabbed it without further ado. turns out, it's just a special label for their flagship IPA. Shrug, no new tick for me. Still a solidly drinkable brew though.

rrock44, vurt and Reidrover like this.
  36. Reidrover

Society

Its not cool though..really. I know nano breweries who do anniversary ales..and they do something special.
    I dont know the brewery but i would avoid them after that..they be like a nano-Rogue

DefenCorps likes this.
  37. Reidrover

Society

2nd tonight. Xicha Chela Mexican Lager.
    Xicha is a Salem brewery/restaurant that does latin American inspired beers and food..if your ever in Salem you should definatly go for the food, its awesome and the beers like this one go well with the food.
    Its a basic Mexican lager..akin to Full Sail' Session Cerveza but a bit more flaked corn..s

afrokaze, sharpski, vurt and 2 others like this.
  38. beertunes

Society Trader

Well, I'm gonna give it a pass because of the current situation. They likely were shut down for a while, and maybe didn't get a chance to do a special brew. Lord knows I gave Rogue enough chances, even after they slipped into Pink Death territory.

vurt and Reidrover like this.
  39. Reidrover

Society

You're a more forgiving person than I.

beertunes likes this.
  40. jason_nwx

Little Beast’s “Cookies and Cream” take on Black is Beautiful tonight. Really creamy, lots of roasty dark chocolate. Very well done.

Now to get my hands on the Gigantic and Claim 52 versions I’ve seen popping up...

afrokaze, Reidrover, vurt and 2 others like this.