What Northwest beer are you drinking now? (2020)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Jan 1, 2020.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,661) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Sir, your science is flawed due to variations in serving vessels. You must repeat the experiment.

NWer, 66jzmstr, woemad and 1 other person like this.
  2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,661) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Greetings fellow NW denizens! Been on a bit of a dry streak (except for shifty's after my 13 hour workday on Monday) my first brews in a week.

As it happens, Boundary Bay has their 25th anniversary today. There was a big party planned, but, 2020. So, there's drive-thru cake pick-up in the alley, and I've hit the taplist for several. Finishing up a pint of the blueberry kolsch that was released a month or so ago.

sharpski, rrock44, vurt and 2 others like this.
  3. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,240) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

All three vessels were equally good at revealing the color of each beer, and equally bad at concentrating the aroma.

Also: I think the different graphics on each glass helped my lovely lab assistant remember which beer was in which glass, according to a mnemonic I didn't ask about.

SCIENCE!

sharpski, rrock44, 66jzmstr and 2 others like this.
  4. rrock44

rrock44 Disciple (368) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

Well, shoot. That is awesome. My beer karma has gotta be sky rocketing now.

beertunes, sharpski, woemad and 2 others like this.
  5. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Zealot (511) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

I did me a beer haul today.

I sampled one of each tonight (gratuitous liquid diabesity haul ware from fottergraf excluded).

I’ve only had five or six fresh hops this season thus far, but I firmly believe the Grape Lotion Fresh Hop Ripe will be one of my top contenders for the season: A hazy vehicle a la Ruse’s 2019 FH offerings but with the raw, pithy hopping like Fremont does. Pure Citra face smash.

beertunes, rrock44, sharpski and 3 others like this.
  6. vurt

Society

I just opened a Hopworks Fresh Hop Ace of Spades Imperial IPA.

This beer is a beast. I approve.

beertunes, rrock44, woemad and 5 others like this.
  7. PerfectPorter

PerfectPorter Initiate (103) Jul 30, 2010 Oregon

Costco in Clackamas has Ace of Spades but I doubt it's the FH version. Almost grabbed one from what I read in here, but I wasn't sure if the normal version got the same acclaim and 22 oz. is a lotta DIPA.

8. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,903) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Does anyone else feel that this has been a great Fresh Hop year? The quality and amount is better then the last few years. I even thought our cherished tradition was dying a couple years back.

beertunes, rrock44 and PerfectPorter like this.
  9. Reidrover

Society

Its 6 :15 am and im drinking a can of Hamm's..well they come from the Old North West . Breakfast of Middle Aged Men who dont give a f&&k. Cheers

beertunes, rrock44, vurt and 4 others like this.
  10. ppilot

ppilot Initiate (119) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

I thought it's gotten better every single year as breweries know from experience what to and what not to do. The Fresh Hop train has been really gaining momentum for about the last 4-5 years or so.

beertunes, snaotheus, rrock44 and 2 others like this.
  11. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,770) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I agree. Not everything I've tried has been a hit, but for the most part, the fh beers I've tried this year have been outstanding. There have been a number of recent years where I felt that wasn't the case.

beertunes, Reidrover, rrock44 and 3 others like this.
  12. PerfectPorter

Made it to Netarts but I can't check in until 4 pm. Having lunch at The Schooner and they Fremont Lush on tap. It's been a while since I don't like paying $12.49 a sixer on sale at Freddy's when I know Total Wine (yeah I know) in Vancouver has it for $9.99+ tax.

woemad, rrock44 and vurt like this.
  13. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,918) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

14. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,195) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

FH Ace of Spades has a green label, the bottles at my local Costco are the standard black and I'm assuming the same at Clackamas.

15. vurt

Society

Seeing as how a) today is my birthday, and b) I was inspired by yesterday's beer haul by @66jzmstr , I decided to c) take the day off and d) buy me some fresh hops!

I snagged a 4-pack of the new Breakside Fresh Hop Wanderlust and some singles of Baerlic Fresh Hop Punk Rock Time IPA, Ferment Fresh Hop Strata IPA, Hopworks, Fresh Hop Singing Bird IPA, and Occidental Fresh Hop Pilsner.

I also grabbed a 4-pack of Fort George Rock, Paper, Sterling Fresh Hop Pilsner:

[​IMG]

The fresh noble hop aroma bursts out of the can, and the tangy fresh hop flavor accentuates a firm (not sharp) and respectable bitterness. Good maltiness to boot. Nice and dry.

Should be on the radar of @DefenCorps , @John_M , @derftron , @Reidrover , and all pilsner fans. vurt sez check it out.

16. vurt

Society

Mrs. vurt is drinking a can of the Breakside Fresh Hop Wanderlust, and making many yummy sounds whilst doing so.

She just handed me her glass. The aroma is spectacular, and the flavor is heavy with that fresh hop goodness we love. Guess I know what I'm having next...

beertunes, afrokaze, sharpski and 3 others like this.
  17. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Zealot (511) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

YASS!

[​IMG]

This is how you fresh hop!

HAPPY VURTDAY! :heavymetal:

beertunes, sharpski, _pat_ and 5 others like this.
  18. draheim

Society

It says “fresh hop” at the top. Can I got was 16oz, not sure if they’d package something like that in multiple formats.

19. vurt

Society

Next, I decided to open the Ferment Fresh Hop Strata IPA:

[​IMG]

A collaboration with New Seasons. Pretty neat. I remember they had a few exclusive fresh hop collabs last year.

If you like hazy IPAs with that creamy body and no hop "bite," you might like this. I didn't get a lot of fresh Strata flavor, although the nose was good. I just didn't appreciate this one much.

20. vurt

Society

Next up: Fresh Hop Punk Rock Time IPA from Baerlic.

[​IMG]

Now this is more like it! Clear, clean, sharp, with good fresh Strata aroma and dankness. Would drink again. Might even go back to the store where I bought this for a 4-pack this weekend.

Mrs. vurt also gave this one a thumbs up.

21. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,629) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Happy Birthday!

beertunes and vurt like this.
  22. PerfectPorter

Yep. It was the black label glass bomber.

beertunes likes this.
  23. woemad

Society Trader

After getting off work, I decided to go eat a bag of Dicks.
    [​IMG]
    Then I crossed the street to drink some Lumberbeard beers.
    This is Lumber Juice:
    [​IMG]
    Kinda dig this one. I'm bummed the only keg on hand blew partway through the pour. Untapped calls this a NE IPA, but it's juicy, not hazy. I will hit this one again when I can.

24. woemad

Society Trader

Now I'm hitting Little Dreams, which LB calls a hazy, but just looks kinda chill hazed. Here's the description from the source:
    "Little Dreams is a lightened up version. of Dreams Get Brewed, same malt, same hops but only 7% ABV. DDH with Idaho7, Mosaic, and Citra"(FWIW, I believe Dreams Get Brewed is a DIPA.).
    [​IMG]
    It's a bit more in line with a NE hazy than Lumber Juice, but it's also got a bit of a pear-like fruit thing happening. Finishes soft and mellow.

beertunes, snaotheus, rrock44 and 2 others like this.
  25. vurt

Society

Many thanks!

-----

I decided it was best to save the Fresh Hop Wanderlust and start off tomorrow night's beers with that one. And after splitting a couple fresh hop cans with the wife, I thought I'd finish the evening with something else:

[​IMG]

It's a pale festbier rather than a Märzen, and it's just fantastic. Great depth of malt flavor, clean, nice crisp hop character. I'd love to sit outdoors on a breezy autumn afternoon with a Maßkrug of this.

26. woemad

Society Trader

Finishing at Lumberbeard with Up Scale, an 8.4% hazy DIPA brewed with Southern Hemisphere hops.
    [​IMG]
    Kinda digging this, despite my preference for west coast IPAs. Feeling like the Galaxy & Motueka hops (there's some Sabro, too) make it a bit more interesting than the typical hazebomb. The 8.4% abv is well hidden.

beertunes, snaotheus, rrock44 and 3 others like this.
  27. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Defender (602) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Hair of the Dog/de Molen/Shiga Kogen Side by Side strong ale tonight. Ashy cocoa from de Molen’s stout, some bitterness from Shiga’s IPA, and fruitiness from Fred. Pretty smooth but once us enough for me.

beertunes, rrock44, Reidrover and 2 others like this.
  28. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (5,107) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Happy birthday, @vurt! I don't have a beer or a glass right now, but there next one's for you!

There's a phrase I haven't heard in , oh, a decade.

beertunes, NWer, sharpski and 3 others like this.
  29. woemad

Society Trader

@vurt's choice of Chuckanut bottles (god, I'd love to see their bottles here in the 'kan) inspired me to grab Brick West's Prost! before the state's mandated retirement hour.
    [​IMG]
    Pretty nice, got a nice nutty, toasty maltiness to it, and carries it's 5.9% abv well.

30. TheBricenator

TheBricenator Aspirant (275) Nov 13, 2007 Oregon

Fort George Rock, Paper, Sterling FH Pilsner was a nice surprise to find on my beer hunt today as I didn't know it was in the wild just yet and wow, what a surprise it was. Awesome grassy, pithy, and citrus bomb on the palate - no way I would mistake this for anything but a fresh hop beer. Aroma was decent but not a lot of FH character to me though I am feel that after 10 days straight of hazardous air here in Salem, my nose has taken a beating. Sterling is quite the underrated hop variety IMO for a beer like this too as I feel it brings a lot of noble hop characteristics to the table along with some citrusy notes that are unique and work well in a pilsner. I second @vurt (Happy b-day!) on recommending this one too - outstanding and full of FH aromas/flavors. Cheers!

31. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Just realized I've been completely remiss! Happy (belated) birthday Eric. Hope you had a great day (sounds like you might have) :sunglasses:

32. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Today just turned into a particularly awful day. Just learned that Ruth Bader Ginsburg passed away. Am drinking a glass of Super Nebula Breakfast with the Woodford in her honor, but of course nothing comes close to really expressing the degree of loss I'm experiencing from her passing. She's completely irreplaceable.

Have been drinking a bit today, so will be careful to say no more. I'll just state the obvious... Her loss will be felt for many years to come.

woemad, beertunes, 66jzmstr and 8 others like this.
  33. vurt

Society

Just opened a Breakside Fresh Hop Wanderlust:

[​IMG]

It's incredible. @afrokaze and Breakside are absolutely killing it in Fresh Hop Season 2020.

-----

Here's to Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. An icon. A terrible loss. R.I.P. RBG.

woemad, beertunes, jason_nwx and 9 others like this.
  34. PerfectPorter

Welp. I guess this calls for a can of Black is Beautiful from Breakside.

RIP RBG.

woemad, beertunes, rrock44 and 8 others like this.
  35. Reidrover

Society

Especially since McConnel that total hypocrite is going to push through Trump's choice..when he held up Obama's choice for almost a year because of Presidential elections..
    Never felt this sad at the situation. I am hoping some Republican senators have some morality left..but not likely

woemad, beertunes, NWer and 6 others like this.
  36. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (569) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon
    Brewery

Funny enough, we were drinking one at work when we heard the terrible news. RIP to a true legend.

woemad, beertunes, vurt and 6 others like this.
  37. draheim

Society

[​IMG]
    I really like this

woemad, beertunes, sharpski and 7 others like this.
  38. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (5,107) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

I imagined the next disaster to strike us in 2020 would be The Big One off the coast that would change the gorgeous Oregon coast (and more) for the rest of my life. I didn't anticipate it'd be one that could do that to the whole country. RIP RBG.

In my glass is the Rock Paper Sterling from Ft George. It is a very worthy fresh hop pils, among the better ones I've had. Well done!

woemad, beertunes, jason_nwx and 5 others like this.
  39. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Sampling glasses of 2017 kbs and 2019 C&C Bbomb side by side. The Fremont ba stout is so superior, it's hard not to laugh. Really hard to believe that kbs was once considered one of the best ba stouts on the planet, and required a special effort to find and obtain. I still remember the efforts I went through to obtain kbs when living on the lEast coast.

woemad, beertunes, NWer and 2 others like this.
  40. PerfectPorter

Had a taster of Ewok Dreams at Von Ebert. Will revisit with a fresh palate next time but it was really clean after the FH Two for Mischief.