What Northwest beer are you drinking now? (2020)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Jan 1, 2020.

1. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (5,109) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Had a few fresh hop beers I picked up at Uptown Market last night. The Stormbreaker Handfuls of Fresh Hops, with strata and El Dorado was more hazy than I'd like but had a real nice fresh hop character. Next was the Bend Brewing Fresh Trop Simcoe. @vurt (especially, with your professed love of Simcoe), @John_M , y'all should seek this out. Finished with a Silver Moon Hydrosphere. That was only 2 weeks old, but it tasted more like a regular IPA than a FH beer. I think it was @draheim who said FH beers fade 48 hours in? Might be some truth to that.

Anyway, they went well with 3 episodes of Watchmen. I knew it was going to be different from the graphic novel, but boy, I wasn't expecting this.

sharpski, woemad, vurt and 3 others like this.
  2. rrock44

rrock44 Disciple (368) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

Others have asked or stated, but it would be nice to like something like a thousand times. A single like just doesn’t seem right.

woemad, 66jzmstr, vurt and 2 others like this.
  3. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,630) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Finally got a fh beer this year, a FtF Centennial Sabro at Community Pint last night. Sadly, the 6ers were already sold out.
    [​IMG]
    Seems like whenever I take a beer pic w/my friend Mark in the background, he's always touching his face.

snaotheus, draheim, rrock44 and 3 others like this.
  4. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Someone should tell him , eh, that that's not covid safe behavior.

woemad likes this.
  5. woemad

Society Trader

Talking to my buddy Mark last night, we got on the topic of the old Spokane Falls Brewing Company, where he worked around 25yrs ago. They actually bottled their beers in plastic 1L bottles! I never had any of them, as they went under not too long after I moved to Spokane, and I just mostly drank Guinness in those days, but I can remember seeing them in grocery stores and thinking, "What the hell? Those beers are in Pepsi bottles!" I've never seen anyone else do that.
    Might that become a thing now out of sheer desperation?

snaotheus, beertunes and vurt like this.
  6. woemad

Society Trader

Ironically, he's a pretty conscientious masker. Goes to show how often we touch our faces without knowing it.

snaotheus, DefenCorps and vurt like this.
  7. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,245) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I have a beard. I touch my face all the frickin' time.

(Fortunately, I also wash my hands all the frickin' time.)

draheim, DefenCorps and woemad like this.
  8. DefenCorps

Society Trader

I hear you. I'm pretty good about masks, but my 2 year old thinks my beard is a good place to put his boogers. I'm just lucky I'm still alive at this point.

9. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,679) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Well, the sticking point would be filling equipment. If a brewery has a bottling line (or uses a mobile unit), could that filling equipment feasibly be switched over to handle those bottles (and back if they run various size formats) quickly and economically? You would be able to use a canning line, and as I mentioned the mobile bottlers are booked solid (we're already looking at our December and January dates).

woemad likes this.
  10. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,921) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

[​IMG]
    Just picked this one up. Stoup Fresh Hop Fiend (bottom of can says Simcoe 09/21/20, so for all I know there are other versions. Finished the one chore/errand I had on my list today, and the girls are out shopping, so I'm enjoying this out on the front porch with the expectation that clouds and wind will soon turn to rain. Cheers NWBA!

EDIT: The answer was on the can: "This label will stay the same but the beer inside will change. Be sure to check the bottom of the can for the hop variety..."

#3370 draheim, Sep 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    snaotheus, vurt and beertunes like this.
  11. PerfectPorter

PerfectPorter Initiate (103) Jul 30, 2010 Oregon

When I was there Tuesday they had FH Centennial and FH Strata. Adam said FH Citra and FH El Dorado were on the way.

I still have two cans of the Simcoe left, but they won't make it past the second intermission tonight.

snaotheus, Reidrover, rrock44 and 2 others like this.
  12. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,772) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Thanks for the tip. Last year's version was very good as well, so I can't say I'm surprised to here this.

13. draheim

Society

14. draheim

Society

Nor is that photo unless @woemad was using a zoom lens :grimacing:

beertunes likes this.
  15. beertunes

Society Trader

YAY! The M's stomped the hated Green Bastards in the first game of a double header, so I popped open an Old Schoolhouse Kief Box IPA. Solid enough.

woemad, vurt, rrock44 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,905) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Eating at an older pizza parlour in West Salem..with kids. Drinking a surprisingly good Alaskan Amber..it's been years. Goes good with pizza

17. beertunes

Society Trader

Having a Non-NW brew now, but a bit ago I had a Wander Passionfruit-Guava Millie. Surprisingly nice. The fruit wasn't heavy as I had feared. Grab one if you see it.

woemad, vurt, rrock44 and 1 other person like this.
  18. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Zealot (511) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

Reuben’s Fresh Hop Triple Crush.

I thought I’d save this crowler for tomorrow night’s Sounders game, but then I remembered I have to teach (synchronous, online) the next morning for the start of the quarter, so tonight is the night for this.

[​IMG]

[qoute=Untappd]10% ABV fresh hop triple IPA crowler solo mission - I’M GOIN’ IN! Loads of citrus. Boozy, but not in a bad way. Delicious, drinkable; Double Crush’s bigger brother.[/quote]

The aforementioned “boozy” is ever so slight. This beast has warmed up quite a bit, yet it’s still so easy-drinking. Not heavy or a chore whatsoever despite the 10% ABV. Not a huge difference between regular Triple Crush Nd Fresh Hop Triple Crush, but the Citra is a little more pronounced, and given regular Triple Crush is already wonderful, this is quite a beer.

rrock44, woemad, snaotheus and 4 others like this.
  19. beertunes

Society Trader

Knocked back a Gruff/Boundary Bay BiB a few minutes ago. Still nice.

rrock44, woemad, snaotheus and 3 others like this.
  20. vurt

Society

"This is interesting. Lando."

"Lando system?"

"Lando's not a system, it's a beer. Lando Hoprissian. India pale ale, fresh hops, from Loowit Brewing of Vancouver, Washington. You'd like it."

"Thanks."

[​IMG]

Very fruity. Not much fresh hop flavor. But it has no love for the Empire, I can tell you that.

rrock44, sharpski, woemad and 8 others like this.
  21. beertunes

Society Trader

Realized I had a few extra minutes before my bus, so, a BB Silver Linings was promptly consumed.

22. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Defender (607) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Breakside’s What Fresh Beast is delicious. Well done! Followed it up with a Bend Brewing Fresh Trop, which is absolutely stellar. Every time I drink. Bend Brewing beer I think I need to drink more Bend Brewing beer.

Finishing up the night with a Varietal Beer Co Black is Beautiful. Thus us a horchata dark chocolate truffle in beer form and I’m in love.

23. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Heater Allen McMinnville Harvest Lager to start off tonight. It's a delightful one.

Reidrover, rrock44, woemad and 2 others like this.
  24. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Block 15, as others have noted, have been on a bit of a slide, or alternatively, failed to keep up with the competition. I'm happy to report that this Sticky Hands- Southern Exposure is bringing a smile to my face. It's not the chuckles of joy that the better ones in the past have, but it's a step up from the shrugs that some other recent IPAs have left me with.

afrokaze, Reidrover, rrock44 and 5 others like this.
  25. vurt

Society

Just opened a Fort George Rock, Paper, Sterling Pilsner. It has settled down a lot in the past week and a half. What used to be an aggressive fresh hop beast is now an aromatic and tasty pilsner with a bitter and still recognizably fresh punch of hops in the finish. Little bit of fresh hoppiness in the nose too.

26. derftron

derftron Disciple (392) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

3 FH beers so far....

Stormbreaker FH with strata on tap at SW Johns. really like it. even for a hazy, it had a lot of great hop flavor.

2 Baerlic FH Beers: Post Everything is a west coast FH IPA. Trickle Drops is a bit more hazy NE style. Both are very good. combined with their FH punk rock beer, they get the award for most unique FH beers this year. all 3 of these taste like nothing i have had before and a great lineup of beers that standout

Reidrover, rrock44, woemad and 3 others like this.
  27. vurt

Society

Was that their "Handfuls of Fresh! Hops" IPA? I had a can of that tonight and thought it was terrific. (Canned on 9/24, which plays nicely into your 48-hour FH theory...)

rrock44 and PerfectPorter like this.
  28. woemad

Society Trader

I haven't seen Sticky Hands, or much else from Block 15, since the start of the pandemic. Whatever way their beers were making it to Spokane, that route seems to have been sundered. Kinda bummed to hear they're having issues.

Reidrover likes this.
  29. beertunes

Society Trader

IMHO, they're one of better "under the radar" breweries. I was worried when Tonya Cornett left, and then new owners, but it seems (I haven't had any in a couple years) they've kept the quality level up.

Reidrover, vurt, woemad and 3 others like this.
  30. draheim

Society

[​IMG]
    This is quite good. Definitely not a West Coast IPA though, so expect an opaque orange bomb. Cheers NWBA! Go Hawks!

vurt, Reidrover, woemad and 4 others like this.
  31. draheim

Society

32. beertunes

Society Trader

On my second Cowiche, with a Bodhi in the middle. Seems not as floral as in the past? And, maybe a bit more bitter. Still tasty though!

snaotheus, sharpski, woemad and 5 others like this.
  33. vurt

Society

Just finished a nice pint of Ecliptic Astra Fresh Hop Lager. Nice fresh herbal finish. Slightly dank. Enjoyable! Would drink again.

Reidrover, sharpski, draheim and 3 others like this.
  34. beertunes

Society Trader

The palate needed a break from the hops, so, my monthly Orval was next up. Now back to Cowiche.

snaotheus, jason_nwx, rrock44 and 6 others like this.
  35. woemad

Society Trader

Now hitting Lowercase's Italian Pilsener (or is that lowercase's italian pilsener?)
    [​IMG]

Reidrover, snaotheus, rrock44 and 4 others like this.
  36. woemad

Society Trader

Pretty nice how Metcalf redeemed himself near the end.

rrock44 and draheim like this.
  37. vurt

Society

A favorite from last year proves to be excellent again this year:

[​IMG]

Get your catty/tropical aroma with a fresh and snappy grapefruit peel bitterness right here, folks. This is a winner.

If you see it, grab it. Do not hesitate.

38. draheim

Society

Even better would have been if he’d completed that play in the first place. I have little patience for players who start celebrating before they reach the end zone.

woemad likes this.
  39. vurt

Society

Seeing out a Sunday gratifyingly free of anxiety with a can of Silver Moon Hydrosphere Fresh Hop IPA.

Canned on 9/15. I don't get much fresh hop character in this one. Very fruity, quite malty, kind of resiny. Not very clean. Kind of reminds me of a Lompoc beer, though no specific Lompoc beer in particular.

40. DefenCorps

Society Trader

PNW might be home, but Belgium has my heart in a vise. Drie Fonteinen makes the best beer in the world IMO. Drinking all that lambic at Bailey's today was special, and bittersweet given I'm not going to see those folks for a while.

beertunes, rrock44, Reidrover and 5 others like this.