What Northwest beer are you drinking now? (2020)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Jan 1, 2020.

1. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Defender (612) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Had Ferment’s Strata Fresh Hop IPA today. It was fine, might be past it’s prime. Makes me sad New Seasons still has tons of these cans.

Also had a Hair of the Dog Otto From the Wood (fruity and boozy!), Adam Batch 100 (dark, rich, smoky goodness), and a Breakside Wanderlust (Yep, still tasty). Sundays are for cooking food for the entire week and drinking all day long.

Reidrover, beertunes, rrock44 and 5 others like this.
  2. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,630) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Metcalf has a weird way of being either uncannily brilliant or a complete bonehead, with not much in between.

draheim likes this.
  3. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,923) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

I like Metcalf a lot but I like Lockett better. More brilliant, less bonehead.

woemad likes this.
  4. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,907) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

I would say they have improved in the everyday beers

beertunes likes this.
  5. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,907) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

and what's with all the Italian Pilsners? Wasn't that a thing, sort of, about a decade ago ( from Italy).

woemad and beertunes like this.
  6. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,246) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

After work I split a Boss Rambler Cone Drips with Mrs. vurt.

[​IMG]

Aside from not having much fresh hop goodness, I found it bland. Ah well.

rrock44, Reidrover, snaotheus and 3 others like this.
  7. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,693) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Another long work day, then, a hang with coworkers over shift meals and beers. Trying to judge time for my bus, and I had either 25 or 55 minutes.

OK, I can do a pint in 20 minutes, go to order. Anikah asks if I like cider? Sure, as a change of pace. Want this mispour pint of Elderberry cider? Well, I am a team player, but can I also get a pint of Silver Linings?

Guess I'm catching the 55 minute bus.

rrock44, Reidrover, snaotheus and 5 others like this.
  8. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,778) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

One of my favorite fh
    IPA's last year. Have been unable to find any so far, but will continue looking.

#3408 John_M, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    beertunes, rrock44, woemad and 2 others like this.
  9. vurt

Society

The only place I've seen it so far is New Seasons (specifically, the one at Orenco Station).

@DefenCorps gave me a heads up that Uptown Beer Co. got some, but it was gone a day later when I was ready to place an order.

beertunes and John_M like this.
  10. PerfectPorter

PerfectPorter Initiate (103) Jul 30, 2010 Oregon

Had two Cowiches and a FH Wanderlust last night. Today I polished off a crowler of FH Mass Ascension from Ex Novo, an FH Wanderlust, and a Cowiche.

Still have 7 Cowiches, 6 FH Wanderlusts, a crowler of FH Crikey, 3 Wanderjacks, and a Von Ebert BiB.

When done I'll have to go full Montana. Had a FH from Conflux at lunch...wrong thread/forum...

beertunes, rrock44, sharpski and 4 others like this.
  11. woemad

Society Trader

Don't know how close you have to stick to Missoula, but I heartily reccomend Higherground Brewing down south in Hamilton.

beertunes, rrock44 and PerfectPorter like this.
  12. woemad

Society Trader

Had some Indian food for dinner, and drank a SMaSHy Trails alongside it.
    [​IMG]

13. TheBricenator

TheBricenator Aspirant (291) Nov 13, 2007 Oregon

I snagged some Ecliptic Altair Fresh Hop Pale on my earlier beer hunt (fresh hop motivated) and I am digging it. I just looked at my beer spreadsheet and like I thought, different hop bill from last year - 2020 is Strata and El Dorado. Great mix of citrus, dank herb, and stone fruits (peach, apricot) plus at least for me, the pear note I always get from El Dorado along with a nice bite that ventures into IPA territory for me. I give it a thumbs up and it sounds like I need to keep my eyes out for the Bend Fresh Trop too as I'm a sucker for anything Simcoe. Cheers!

14. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Thanks for the tip. Last year I was able to obtain cans at Beermongers of all places, but it's hard to know what to predict this year with the pandemic. So I may give the West Linn New Seasons a try if I strike out at Beermongers and/or Arch Bridge this year.

vurt and PerfectPorter like this.
  15. draheim

Society

[​IMG]
    Debate prep. Cheers NWBA!

16. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (5,118) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Perhaps you mean pigeon chess prep? It takes two to tango.

PerfectPorter, sharpski and draheim like this.
  17. draheim

Society

Let’s just call it “two white male septuagenarians yelling at each other for 90 minutes”

18. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (5,118) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Belmont Station got some in today, ready for curbside pickup tomorrow

PerfectPorter, John_M and vurt like this.
  19. beertunes

Society Trader

I still get surprised. Seems like we do a decent job of keeping track of breweries, yet, today i got a can from a brewery that's been around a couple years that I haven't heard of, Victor -23, from down in the 'couv. Having a Skyjacker IPA, in the idiotic 19.2oz stovepipe can. average-ish OG IPA, but a cool label: D.B. Cooper ready to jump.

20. vurt

Society

Speaking of The Couve, I'm having a Trap Door Co-Hop Fresh Hop IPA:

[​IMG]

It has that kind of "milky" character that I really don't like in hazy IPAs. It also has a nicely bitter finish which is not quite enough to make up for that milkiness.

Not a bad beer, overall, but not my thang.

rrock44, woemad and beertunes like this.
  21. beertunes

Society Trader

22. beertunes

Society Trader

Swung by The Store That shall Not Be Named today to grab some beers for a BIF box. There was a stand-alone fridge with nothing but HotD stuff. grabbed a couple to send, and a Polka Dot to tick. Turns out, I had reviewed it almost a year ago, and, the it was canned Mid-June. Le sigh. I had already packed the box before I drank mine, so, out it goes. It wasn't "bad", but had probably been better.

Having a Cedar Dust now, before I go mail said BIF box.

rrock44, sharpski, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  23. woemad

Society Trader

Gadzooks. I need a fucking beer.
    [​IMG]

24. woemad

Society Trader

19.2oz. WTF?

beertunes likes this.
  25. beertunes

Society Trader

Yup, Oskar Blues started than particular bullshit. Makes packing a BIF box even harder than 16oz cans (which, it's well established) I am also no fan of.

Speaking of BIFs, how goes the car situation?

26. derftron

derftron Disciple (392) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Drinking a Skookum deep color BA old ale.

This is up there with the Firestone Walker BA offerings. Really really good stuff

27. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Thanks for the tip. Just ordered a 4 pack.

BS is also convinced they're going to get in some Cowiche Canyon as well, they're just not sure when (they think in a couple of days).

PerfectPorter and DefenCorps like this.
  28. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Drinking some BB fresh trop simcoe tonight. Quite excellent, and if memory serves, pretty similar to the version I savored last year. Glad I splurged and grabbed a full 4 pack.

Not that I plan on doing this, this year, but last year I held onto a can of this beer until getting back from our China trip in November. Much to my surprise, it was still quite excellent, with considerable fh character. Quite an impressive fh ipa from Bend Brewing.

29. vurt

Society

The wife and I are splitting a can of Baerlic Trickle Drops. Not getting a lot of fresh hopitude at this point, but it's still a tasty beverage.

woemad, rrock44 and PerfectPorter like this.
  30. woemad

Society Trader

Markedly less bullshit at work today. Off work now, visiting my dear friend, Rita, at Nectar.
    Started off with a slice of Spicy Tony from next door and a Rainbows & Unicorns.
    [​IMG]
    Now I'm hitting a new beer, Scandinavian Funk, from Lumberbeard, a DIPA brewed with a Kveik yeast strain.
    [​IMG]
    I'm really digging this. Funky and fruity, kinda reminds me of juniper.

31. jason_nwx

2019 Hair of the Dog Matt tonight. It was, um, not my favorite.

32. woemad

Society Trader

It's been years since I've had any HOTD beers. It took years for Blue Dot to reach Spokane, and I was super psyched when it did, and it was awesome. Six months later it arrived again, and it was flat as a pancake. Reading about the owner's response when people reported to him such experiences led me to believe he'd prefer I spent my money elsewhere, so I have obliged.

sharpski, vurt, PerfectPorter and 2 others like this.
  33. woemad

Society Trader

I wound up drinking three of those Kveik DIPAs, and afterwards, after purchasing a couple cans to go, I walked my way across the river and across downtown (one guy offered me cans of something while I crossed the Monroe Street bridge, but I declined as gracefully as I could while wearing my King Crimson mask), walking past the haunted former Masonic Temple -
    [​IMG]
    and narrowly avoiding death in the form of some douchebag in a Charger, all to bask in the sanctity of Casa Woemad while drinking a Brick West Pilsner:
    [​IMG]

rrock44, sharpski, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  34. PerfectPorter

PerfectPorter Initiate (103) Jul 30, 2010 Oregon

Welp. After frequenting Conflux Monday, I went back Tuesday as they were putting up the closing early sign.

Their Facebook says they're closed until further notice.

I don't see how this project continues with Montana spiking this week.

Had some Gild yesterday and wanted to go back for more today but time did not allow.

Also hoping to get something from Blacksmith in Stevensville before I depart.

Just hunkering down with rest of my freshies and the happy hour $2.50 local craft pints next door at Paradise Falls. Draught Works Scepter IPA rocks. Hopefully I'll get sent home by Monday and can hit up Spokane for a night.

rrock44, woemad, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  35. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I like Alan very much, but social skills are not his strong suit (IMHO). He's incredibly generous, and donates to a number of worthy charities, and is obviously a very talented brewer. Yet for some reason, that doesn't seem to translate into an understanding and concerned brand owner. Complaints about flat bottles of Matt, Cherry Adam and AFTW variations are typically met with taciturn responses, if not outright disdain. Even though those beers were not meant to be still (bottle conditioning didn't work?), we're told that it doesn't matter, the beer isn't flawed (even though the price is reduced), so stop complaining. As for Blue Dot, anyone who has been drinking this beer for any length of time is aware that this is a completely different beer than the one Alan was putting out some 10 years ago. I've been given various explanations for the dramatic change in the character and quality of this beer, all of which could be fixed pretty easily (at least that's the impression I've gotten) if Alan felt it important enough to address. Customers still buy it in the tasting room, so I guess he doesn't feel this is something he needs to concern himself with.

That being said, I've had vintage bottles of FFTW, AFTW, Doggie Claws, Matt and Cherry Adam that I thought were incredible. Bottles of 2013 Otto are absolutely sublime and are currently drinking at their very best (I would argue). So I try to ignore his less than stellar PR and customer service, and continue to buy and drink his offerings.

However, I certainly don't blame you or any one else who doesn't appreciate the attitude, and decides not to buy HOTD beer.

rrock44, DefenCorps, vurt and 4 others like this.
  36. derftron

derftron Disciple (392) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

pretty much agree on everything here. I worked very close to HOTD for 6 years and frequented the brewery almost weekly.

Over this period of time, i kind of figured out how to navigate the offerings and what beers to drink and which ones to pass up.

I would say on the whole, Alan makes some of the best strong beers around that are truly unique. He also has some very obvious QC issues which keeps me (any probably others) from buying more of his product, and also knocks down his reputation a bit.

afrokaze, vurt, jason_nwx and 2 others like this.
  37. jason_nwx

I've never had a bad Adam or Doggie Claws and drank some of the best beers I've ever had in HOTD's taproom (Adam Batch 1 split with a friend), but the others are hit and miss for me, mostly miss of late (I like a little carb, what can I say?). I will still buy Adam just about every time I see it.

woemad, beertunes and vurt like this.
  38. draheim

Society

[​IMG]
    I'm assuming there is no need to create a new HFOFH (anagram!) BA listing for 2020... Cheers NWBA!

39. draheim

Society

Dammit. It’s a palindrome, not an anagram. I should have known that.

66jzmstr, vurt, woemad and 1 other person like this.
  40. beertunes

Society Trader

My favorite palindrome is the song UFO TOFU by Bela fleck and the Flecktones. it's musically a palindrome, play it forwards or backwards, and it's the same!

sharpski, PerfectPorter, vurt and 4 others like this.