What Northwest beer are you drinking now? (2020)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Jan 1, 2020.

1. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,630) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Block 15 is pretty fitfully distributed here. I think it's kind of a "gray market" thing when it happens at all (this was the first time I'd seen anything from them since Covid happened), but I'll give it a shot if I can.

afrokaze and beertunes like this.
  2. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,921) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

3. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (5,116) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

This Logsdon Fresh Hop Saison is a good saison, though the FH character is basically nonexistent at this point. It's scratching the itch appreciably.

@woemad , hope it's just a cold. We've had a couple of scares in the household that ended up being false alarms, but it wasn't entirely fun waiting to watch.

jason_nwx, afrokaze, rrock44 and 3 others like this.
  4. DefenCorps

Society Trader

You suffer.
    But why?

(Obscure reference thats fitting in this case)

sharpski, woemad and vurt like this.
  5. draheim

Society

I have one more Pert Near in the beer fridge after this. Also in that same fridge:
    • Cowiche Canyon
    • Cone & Cone
    • Fresh Greens Citra
    • Fresh Hop Double Crush
    • Holy Mountain FH Strata
    • Citra Slicker
    • HFOFH
    • F2F
    • Wetwired
    See my avatar? You gotta take the yin with the yang.

sharpski, rrock44, woemad and 4 others like this.
  6. drone

drone Disciple (386) Jun 17, 2013 Washington
    Trader

[​IMG]
    Finally having this one tonight and it's as good as always. I'm not sure if Fremont just makes less of it than F2F or I get distracted like a dog at a park, but I never seem to buy more than one sixer of this a season. It just seems to vanish from store shelves when I go back for more.

rrock44, woemad, Reidrover and 2 others like this.
  7. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Rejoice, all ye believers! And non believers too! Firestone Walker have temporarily brought back Double Jack for the perfect pine-toed kick in the teeth that we all have been waiting for!

8. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,246) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I found a can of Fort George Rock, Paper, Sterling Fresh Hop Pilsner in the fridge. And it still has traces of fresh hop flavor and aroma, with formidable bitterness on the back end. Plus, it yields fresh hop burps of remarkable potency.

Great days indeed!

9. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,687) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Wait, aren't you in charge of biscuits at Stately Vurt Manor? Thus, who shall deny you a biscuit, except you?

I call biscuit shenanigans!

sharpski, woemad and vurt like this.
  10. beertunes

Society Trader

OMG!!!!

YOU GOT THE RONA!!!

woemad likes this.
  11. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (5,824) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Society Trader

CZAF

Wait a sec, do we even get Firestone Walker in Oregon?

DefenCorps and woemad like this.
  12. vurt

Society

I am in charge of biscuits at stately Vurt Manor.

And there are no biscuits.

I blame myself.

On the plus side, this Rock, Paper, Sterling is really good. I look forward to the next entry in this series.

woemad and beertunes like this.
  13. vurt

Society

Oh yeah. Definitely.

woemad and beertunes like this.
  14. beertunes

Society Trader

You now owe every regular denizen of the NW forum a biscuit!

woemad likes this.
  15. vurt

Society

I already have a "People I Will Buy A Pint For" list, and most of the NW forum regulars are on it. Y'all are good people.

Some folks have been on the list a long time. Some people never drop off the list, even though I've already bought them a pint.

I'm not going to add a biscuit to that pint. This isn't BiscuitAdvocate.

16. woemad

Society Trader

I may already be dead from it. Kinda hard to tell.

PerfectPorter and beertunes like this.
  17. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,773) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

So many beers, it's hard to keep track of them all. That being said, I "think" I got an email from Belmont Station roughly a month ago announcing the arrival of cans. Since then, I've been on the look out for any place that has it on tap, but to no avail so far. Too bad, because I'm most definitely in the believer camp.

rrock44 likes this.
  18. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

In fact, beermongers currently has the 2018 parabola on tap, if that interests you. There's also usually someplace in town with one of the anniversary beers on tap, and I think Belmont Station usually has multiple vintages in bottle.

Stevedore likes this.
  19. derftron

derftron Disciple (392) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

haha.... yes we definitely do. APEX currently has this on tap

Parabola '15
    Parabola '16
    Parabola '17
    Parabola '17 - Scotch
    Parabola '18 - Coconut Rye
    Parabola '19 - Maple
    Parabola '19 - Napa
    PNC

20. derftron

derftron Disciple (392) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

yeah maybe. I was just surprised when i poured the beer out that it looked like a classic WC IPA. I literally thought they canned the wrong beer. Looks and tastes absolutely nothing like the past vintages/ very strange

woemad likes this.
  21. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Sigh... I may need to head over tomorrow, after I go take out a second mortgage first.

22. beertunes

Society Trader

A new CDA (not my favorite style) is up, a collab between Beach Cat and Boundary Bay, Old Man & The Cat. Lordy, so much coffee!!!!!!

One-and-done for me, YMMV.

woemad, rrock44 and vurt like this.
  23. woemad

Society Trader

Thanks. I semi-annually get a head cold that transitions into bronchitis, and I think between the fire smoke from a month ago and the sudden massive change in weather last week from pleasant summer to rainy fall, I was vulnerable to an early bout. I'm hunkering down just in case, though. My tastebuds don't seem affected, and I think that's a good indication it's not Covid. I needed to chill this weekend after my fh escapades last weekend, anyway.

24. draheim

Society

[​IMG]
    My daughter and I spent the day painting her bedroom. Time for some cold fresh hop beer and fried chicken. Cheers NWBA!

woemad, rrock44, DefenCorps and 3 others like this.
  25. vurt

Society

Not that I'm trying to pile on or anything, but Double Jack is here on tap at the same place that is serving us FH Pallet Jack...

woemad, PerfectPorter, John_M and 3 others like this.
  26. beertunes

Society Trader

An Old Schoolhouse Chuck's School of Hops, a collab with Chuck's Hop Shop. Description from the label: this brew features "an experimental hopping method with NZ Rakau, Azacca, Simcoe, Mosaic, and Citra".

27. vurt

Society

I was about to suggest a simple re-fi, since that could put immediate cash in your hand. But then I realized that Apex takes cards these days...

Dang. Those Scotch, Coconut Rye, and Maple variants are calling, and I have too many household obligations tomorrow...

Ah well. I had FH Pallet Jack today.

28. DefenCorps

Society Trader

It's not fresh hop, but this Pallet Jack is hitting the spot. It is also all too drinkable, my first glass went down in about 5 minutes.

29. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Defender (610) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

I drank two DIPAs tonight and somehow they were both clear, classic NW versions - not hazy! First up was Breakside Giuseppe Warlock. Really liked it even though Nelson Sauvin isn’t my favorite. India Golden Ale, on the other hand, is a light, floral, easy drinking bottle of goodness. Breakside, please can this in the regular.

30. DefenCorps

Society Trader

In between pours of Pallet Jack, I cracked open a 2020 Chasin Freshies. It's fascinating what an IPA devoid of citrus, pine and stone fruit tastes like.

31. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (5,824) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Society Trader

Oh right, they've had PNC on tap everytime I've looked for the last couple of years. I just feel like I don't see FSW's stuff on the shelves, fresh Double Jack is as good as Pliny but I just could never buy them because they were 3-4 months old and sitting on warm shelves in Chicago or LA.

32. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

They also just tapped a keg of bourbon barrel aged Speedway, which is pretty much my favorite bourbon ba stout. Sigh... Heading over there now.

(Drinking a glass now. It's magnificent).

#3672 John_M, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    woemad, beertunes, vurt and 1 other person like this.
  33. draheim

Society

34. vurt

Society

Dammit. I still have too many chores to get through.

Ah well, glad you're enjoying it, and glad to know BA Speedway is still great.

woemad and DefenCorps like this.
  35. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

They're pouring the 2019, and yes, it's quite good. Haven't seen ba Speedway in some years now. Was told it's a keg leftover from their anniversary event last year. Really good stuff.

woemad and vurt like this.
  36. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Dang, that's an irresponsibly outrageous list at Apex currently. How someone walks out without drinking 3 pints of stout is beyond me.

woemad likes this.
  37. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Well, cost might be a factor. 3 pints of ba stout at the Apex would set one back around $60 or $70. Par for the course at the Churchkey or Rustico perhaps, but a little spendy for PDX.

woemad, DefenCorps and beertunes like this.
  38. beertunes

Society Trader

After 3 non-NW brews for NBS/W (one of which was a 15+% blend of ImpStout and Barleywine. ooof!), a NW brew that I would swore I ticked years ago when new, Ft. George Overdub. This can was packaged in mid-August, and is still damn tasty!

39. beertunes

Society Trader

Just cracked open a Gruff Trash Bird can. Is a solid brew.

40. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Defender (610) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Tried Pelican’s Midnight Malt cocoa porter tonight and liked it so much I cracked another. Perfect balance, not sweet - just enjoyable. Now drinking a de Garde The Frais: Amarillo. Tons of fresh grapefruit and pine, very aromatic. The base lambic is so funky it threatens to overwhelm the hops, but this year the hops win out. Given their base gets funkier every year, I wonder when the hops won’t be able to compete anymore?

afrokaze, woemad, sharpski and 5 others like this.