What Northwest Beer Are You Drinking Now? (2022)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by BBThunderbolt, Dec 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrock44

rrock44 Oct 27, 2009 Washington

My favorite Ice Harbor offering was IWA (followed by their nut brown ale). I don’t believe they make it anymore? Could be wrong. Probably just a coincidence for why I haven’t been to ice harbor in ages.

Reidrover, snaotheus and woemad like this.
  2. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Starting the day at Beermongers, watching the World Cup with a glass of Bale Breaker winter IPA. Quite a bit maltier than normal for a NW IPA, but still very hoppy and bitter overall. In other words, quite good.

Go Argentina!!!!

snaotheus, Reidrover, rrock44 and 3 others like this.
  3. woemad

woemad Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Due to the tyranny of my work schedule I'm missing every damn US game in this World Cup.

snaotheus, DefenCorps and Reidrover like this.
  4. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

A game of 2 halves, as the saying goes. Mexico came to play for a draw, and their plan failed. Excellent. (I used to work with a guy from Argentina, who made it his job to turn me from a casual football fan into a fanatic. For years I knew the ARG starting 11 better than the US team.)

Beer: Last night I had a pFriem Port Barrel-Aged Doppelbock. I liked the idea better than the execution.

snaotheus, sharpski, John_M and 2 others like this.
  5. woemad

woemad Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Man, I used to hit Ice Harbor every time I'd visit my folks back in the 00s, when they were better than anything in Spokane. It was on my way to the then-parental palace. It's been a couple years since I've been there or had any of their beers, with IH having slipped in my opinion and Moonshot now being on the path to where my folks have lived since 2011.

snaotheus, vurt and rrock44 like this.
  6. rrock44

I was impressed with Moonshot. Still need to give Sage a test drive.

7. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

woemad, snaotheus, Reidrover and 2 others like this.
  8. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

I enjoy experimentation as much as the next guy, but in my experience,The only words that should precede "Doppelbock " are either "dunkler" or "weizen", or variants thereof.

woemad, snaotheus, Reidrover and 3 others like this.
  9. rrock44

Happy Apple Cup. Just finished a nap (those 7:30 start times are killer) and it is time to get things going. A new to me brewery, which I have heard good things about. Varietal Beer Company out of Sunnyside. Complaint #1 a best by date of Feb Feb 20, 23. I would prefer a canning date. But at least it has some sort of date.

This is their flagship. Simcoe, mosiac, and Citra hops. A nice pop of pine upon opening. A beautiful, clean see through ipa with a disappointing head. Complaint #2 - In fact the head completely disappeared after a minute. Don’t usually see that besides macro brews. Taste is pine with a kick of citrus juice. Goes down quite easily. Quality hop burps. Overall a nice introduction.

[​IMG]

Go Cougs!

10. NickSMpls

NickSMpls Nov 11, 2012 Washington
    Society Trader

We enjoy the Gnome very much. IIRC, it used to be offered in a bomber, but it's now canned. Yay!

11. Reidrover

Reidrover Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

We used to see their beers here in Salem years ago. No more. Another old soldier fading away!

snaotheus, woemad and vurt like this.
  12. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I am pretty sure that Punch Out and Prost Dortmunder Style Export Lager from Block 15 is the same beer as their Dortmunder Export Pale Lager.

[​IMG]

Same ABV. Still a touch too sweet and hoppy.

That said, it's a tasty local version of a Dortmunder, and it will do just fine in the absence of Chuckanut Dortmunder and Wayfinder Export 66.

Speaking of Export lagers, pFriem just released theirs, but I haven't seen any on my side of town yet.

13. NickSMpls

Society Trader

Going through a few recent additions to the beer fridge. Here's a Great Notion NEIPA, canned 11/15. Good, maybe a bit light on the up front hop bitterness compared to most NEIPA, but refreshing and easy-drinking.

[​IMG]

snaotheus, woemad, rrock44 and 2 others like this.
  14. rrock44

15. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Heh. I just noticed that Block 15 is wrapping new labels around their IPA cans. You can see the "IPA" showing through the label here (on the can of Punch Out & Prost I posted earlier):

[​IMG]

16. Reidrover

Society

Just sitting down to a Crux Mountain Traffic Red Ale.
    Noticed some good ratings, but this beer is now 6% instead of 7.8%
    So possibly an entirely different experience.
    Honestly, I did not like it at all.
    The aroma is not good the taste the same. It's like drinking a beer a year past its prime. Flaccid, smells like semi rancid milk (lactose). Dull and sweet. And cloying in the after taste.
    So sad.
    I got 5 more.

17. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Next up: a bottle of Breakside Sweet Creature of Bombast, a blend of barrel-aged imperial stouts and imperial porter:

[​IMG]

Tons of dark chocolate, roast malts, Bourbon, and heat. Notes of mixed nuts, dried fruits, caramel. Delicious.

I'm enjoying this while listening to Innate Passage, the unexpectedly terrific new album from Elder.

https://beholdtheelder.bandcamp.com/album/innate-passage

18. Reidrover

Society

Was this Cheers To The Land better than the others? Less boring?

woemad and snaotheus like this.
  19. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

The only other Cheers To The Land beer I had was from Fort George, who somehow found a way to make a bland double IPA.

The ForeLand version of Cheers To The Land was much better: a dry-hopped lager that was clean and snappy and quite nice.

snaotheus, woemad and Reidrover like this.
  20. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Tonight, I had a so-so fruited beer from Ferment, and a bottle of the new batch of Most Most Premium from Gigantic. As an experiment, I used a little of the beer in an Aeropress with a little coffee as well. The base beer is better, the coffee version was a bit overpowering.

For those that missed it - this is the weekend of New Seasons' 20% off BA beers. If $20 Rusty Nail/Fremont BA beers, $8 pFriem BA Barleywine and the like piques your interest, head on over tomorrow!

snaotheus, woemad, vurt and 3 others like this.
  21. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

At Roscoe's today, where they have an unusually fine taplist. Among other things, it includes a keg of 2015 Stille Nacht and a keg of He'brew genesis 2011 from Schmaltz brewing. Both beers are amazing.

woemad, vurt, DefenCorps and 3 others like this.
  22. rrock44

Hats off to the (gulp) Dawgs. They were the better team. Made the Coug D look like a high school JV team. Now watching the Seahawks and having flashbacks. Hawks D playing like a bunch of Cougs.

As far as beer, it is BB’s Frenz-giving. It’s a really tasty hazy. If I didn’t have so many beers in the fridge, I would go grab another 4 pack.

VashonGuy, woemad, sharpski and 3 others like this.
  23. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I think we're pretty much on the same page. I'm happy to try a barrel-aged doppelbock, but I've never had one that made me want to try it again.

(Except for Ride That Goat, a bourbon barrel-aged weizenbock from The Bruery. Not a traditional weizenbock by any stretch of the imagination, but all the flavors worked nicely together. Let's call it a unique cover version of a weizenbock where the band really made it their own.)

sharpski, snaotheus, John_M and 2 others like this.
  24. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Sitting on the patio in this kind of weather? Sure, why not.

Mrs. vurt is enjoying a Pizza Port/Fremont Shaka IPA, and I'm having a Block 15 Caves Saison Batch 001.

[​IMG]

It's a clean rustic saison, conditioned in stainless steel and unblended. But some of this batch was set aside for aging in an oak foudre, to be blended with future Caves Saison batches in a solera approach.

This is a good start, spicy and minerally and semi-sweet with a firm bitterness. Body is actually on the heavier side, and the carbonation could be more aggressive. A little wild oak character is just what this beer needs, and I eagerly look forward to Batch 002.

woemad, snaotheus, DefenCorps and 3 others like this.
  25. NickSMpls

Society Trader

Thought we had a pair of those in our beer fridge, so I went and looked.

Viola! (That's French for 'hey, guess what I found').

[​IMG]

And, yes, it's a well-done IPA.

woemad, sharpski, snaotheus and 4 others like this.
  26. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

My current situation is allowing me to watch the Karens game, and they're playing a good game (a couple sloppy penalties aside). My situation doesn't not, however, allow for a beer. Hospitals tend to frown on beer.

I was walking home the other night, got into a smol confrontation at the local mimimart, and as I walked away down the sidewalk, he drove up from behind and ran into me with his Subaru.

Got off easy, really; 1 broken vertebrae, and a puncture wound that took about a dozen stitches. I would have been released by now, but the supply house with the back brace in my size was closed for the 4 day weekend. Tomorrow is the day. No idea when beer will be a viable option for me, but I'll bet it'll be tasty.

Cheers all!

mactrail, woemad, jason_nwx and 8 others like this.
  27. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Whoa. That's insane. I'm glad you're in good spirits, and I hope that there's no lasting damage. Also - that hothead better be in jail now.

mactrail, woemad, snaotheus and 3 others like this.
  28. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I am glad to hear that you are due to be released from the hospital soon, and that your injuries are not life threatening.

I do hope that you have enough information on your attacker to get his ass pulled off the street and put into a world of legal and financial pain.

mactrail, woemad, Reidrover and 4 others like this.
  29. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

He's in on felony assault 1st degree, with $50k bail.

mactrail, VashonGuy, woemad and 7 others like this.
  30. NickSMpls

Society Trader

Wow! Sorry to hear about this. You'all take care of yourself, ya'hear?

Good to know they got the perp.

woemad, vurt, Reidrover and 4 others like this.
  31. rrock44

This is crazy (probably not the best word) news. Sounds like you are on the mend and the evil doer is behind bars. Speedy recover to you buddy!

woemad, vurt, Reidrover and 3 others like this.
  32. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Dec 1, 2004 Washington

Jesus, that's horrible. I hope he's caught and they throw the book at him. So glad it wasn't worse.

woemad, rrock44, DefenCorps and 4 others like this.
  33. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

That's horrible Terry. Sounds like at least there's going to be a happy ending, and thankfully your injuries are relatively minor, but still.

That qualifies as one shitty night.

Just really glad to hear your injuries weren't any worse.

woemad, rrock44, DefenCorps and 4 others like this.
  34. snaotheus

snaotheus Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

Holy shit! I'm glad you're well enough to post on here, and I'm glad hey arrested that dangerous asshole. I hope you recover quickly.

woemad, rrock44, DefenCorps and 3 others like this.
  35. Reidrover

Society

[​IMG]
    Level Fire Flower.
    A reasonable amber

36. Reidrover

Society

Damn. Happy it's not too bad.

37. Reidrover

Society

[​IMG]
    Next up High Camp Winter IPA.
    Delicious. Really good Red IPA.

38. Reidrover

Society

[​IMG]
    OK had to do the awful Moto pic .
    Zoiglhaus Pilsner.
    Effin delicious

woemad, NickSMpls, snaotheus and 3 others like this.
  39. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I followed the Block 15 Caves Saison with a can of Horse Trade Brett IPA from Dwinell Country Ales.

[​IMG]

It had plenty of brett and citrusy hops on the nose. The flavor doubled down on citrus and brett, and the Mojave-dry finish accentuated the bitterness and citrus components of the hops. It was like biting into a lemon peel. In a good way.

I haven't had a lot of brett IPAs, but I've had good ones and bad ones, and this was definitely a good one.

Now I'm ending the evening and the long holiday weekend with what's left from the bottle of Breakside Sweet Creature of Bombast I opened last night.

mactrail, woemad, jason_nwx and 5 others like this.
  40. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Sep 12, 2012 Oregon
    Society

I'm a big fan of an "Oak Aged" doppelbock. Doesn't need any spirit, just a little wood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.