What one beer would you share with your dad?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mehinaman, Jun 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonictheBeerhog

SonictheBeerhog Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

Not your fathers root beer.

2. sgulner

sgulner Initiate (157) Apr 16, 2011 Massachusetts

My dad is a PBR guy, so if I were in Minnesota that's what I would have with him. However, my Father in law is a total craft guy (he lives in Vermont and always gets me Heady Topper), and I will be spending time with him. So, I am bringing some NightShift beers, Grapefruit Sculpin, and since he likes wine I am also bringing some sours to see if he can get into that. My Grandfther in law (92y.o.) likes Bourbon, so am obviously also bringing some BBA stouts for him to try. Happy Fathers Day, and this is my first as I have a 6 wk old now!!

Lucular likes this.
  3. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Aspirant (224) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Whatever is in his fridge.

TongoRad likes this.
  4. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,066) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

My Dad passed away in 1976 at 58. He was a decorated veteran from operations in the Philippines in WW 2, was wounded twice, contracted malaria, dengue fever, diphtheria, and truly suffered PTSD. Yet, he was a successful businessman, made lots of money, and smoked way too many Camels. I miss him.
    He always had Heineken and Lowenbrau around the house and we shared many. I would love to hoist a true Munich brewed Lowenbrau to his memory!

joelwlcx, TongoRad, Mehinaman and 3 others like this.
  5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Zealot (551) Mar 19, 2012 California

When he was alive, I would share a Molson, Moosehead, or Heineken - usually on a Sunday night over pizza or BBQ. He was never into micro or craft beers (although we drag my parents to the local micro breweries on occasion).

jj139 likes this.
  6. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Zealot (551) Mar 19, 2012 California

Tonight is kind of special...I forgot about Lowenbrau!

rgordon likes this.
  7. Grodd87

Grodd87 Disciple (365) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

My dad drinks dirt cheap shit so maybe a rolling rock

8. juke_cleveland

juke_cleveland Initiate (85) Sep 12, 2014 Indiana

Mich Ultra. That's all he drinks. Always has.

9. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Initiate (121) Mar 17, 2011 New Jersey

Love the question. My Dad passed away in 2000, but he will always be treasured in my heart. He used to keep beer in the fridge, which I would sometimes help myself to when he wasn't around. I may not have even been a teenager at that point. My Dad was from Eastern Europe and he always used to rave about the Czech beers, saying true Pilseners were the best, even though they were hard to find locally in North America (when I was young anyway!). So, I guess, if my Dad were still alive today, I would want to share a beer that my Father would appreciate. Thus, I would have to go with what I deem to be the best lager on the planet: Augustiner Brau Helles. I'd have to get him to Germany though, since it's not available here.

Mehinaman and jj139 like this.
  10. BrownAleBollocks

BrownAleBollocks Zealot (509) Nov 18, 2014 Kansas

My dad doesn't like hoppy, so I would most likely go with a pils or helles. He also likes malty, nutty, slightly sweet, so maybe oktoberfest, bitter, or brown ale. Or the tried and true Weinhenstephaner hefeweizen, which he likes!!

dgmirelli and SummitSeries72 like this.
  11. SummitSeries72

That is funny. I had an uncle who always had Heineken and Lowenbrau on hand!

12. SummitSeries72

Sorry for your loss, by the way. There's nothing that can replace a Dad.

rgordon likes this.
  13. DiUr

DiUr Initiate (197) Aug 14, 2014 Spain

My dad doesnt drink alcohol anymore and was more into red wine, but also enjoyed a cheap lager from time to time. Inadvertently leaving a few Augustiner Edelstoff in his fridge for him to enjoy alone would have been beautiful. Then i would visit with more of them and a couple of Sam Smiths Imperial Stouts, as he also likes sweet chocolate. Now i am missing him too!

Mehinaman likes this.
  14. SummitSeries72

Wow. I had Zywiec Porter in Krakow last Summer. Not bad. But not great either. Was your Dad Polish?
    Wow, sorry for your loss.

drunkenmess likes this.
  15. GeddyLeeRocks

GeddyLeeRocks Initiate (103) Oct 14, 2012 Pennsylvania

Either Mamma Mia Pizza Beer or Cave Creek Chili Beer! My father was a dick!

Mehinaman likes this.
  16. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,779) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

Anything he wants. My dad is mostly a bud drinker, but is willing to try new beers occasionally.

17. SummitSeries72

I have to say: In all the years that I've been a BA and have frequented these forums, this is without a doubt the best and most poignant thread I have ever participated in. As a guy, there are few things that are as much appreciated as beer and as a father. (Yes, I realize that we need to factor our women into this conversation as well. But beer and dads, what could be better?) Thank you, thank you to the OP (original poster)!

18. Cameron_como

Cameron_como Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2015 Missouri

Bud Light. Because he likes it. Father's Day = Father's Day, not "dad try this craft beer I like but you probably won't" day

19. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Savant (931) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Polish and German. I also agree, not bad but not one of my favs. For some reason he adores this brew...

20. SummitSeries72

Agree totally. That's what it's about. Not us, but Dad.

21. SummitSeries72

My Father was from Poland. But he thought greater of Czech and German beers. (And I have to agree.)

drunkenmess likes this.
  22. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,950) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

The best I could get. My dad does not drink at all, so it would be all for me!

23. turbotype

turbotype Aspirant (297) Nov 5, 2013 California

My old man doesn't drink good beer. If it isn't Coors Light or Rolling Rock, he won't drink it. That being said, I really liked Rolling Rock back in the day, so probably that. I bet if I could get him to try a nice Belgian or wheat he would enjoy it, but he is too stubborn.

24. Jtbel1988

Jtbel1988 Initiate (122) Dec 7, 2014 New York
    Trader

Evil Twin Yin - I took my father to Torst a few weeks ago and he freaking loved Yin!

25. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,805) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Whatever he chooses.

TongoRad likes this.
  26. DabblinWiscCraft

DabblinWiscCraft Zealot (521) Jul 5, 2011 Wisconsin

My dad loves porters. If I could get my hands on it, I'd share some Everett Porter or some BP Victory at Sea Coffee Vanilla Porter.

27. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (238) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

PBR is about the only beer my dad bothers with. So PBR.

28. TWStandley

TWStandley Crusader (759) Jan 15, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

Not a Your Fathers Root Beer...and no, not because of the name. My father used to be a Budweiser original drinker and went cold turkey one day about 15 years ago. Hasn't had a sip of alcohol since but that guy can demolish root beer. It is his go to when we go out for family dinners and he wants to "fit in" with us beer drinkers. He would absolutely love it. I've let him smell it and he agrees it smells amazing but won't drink it!

Mehinaman likes this.
  29. rbrefbeerman

rbrefbeerman Devotee (402) Sep 26, 2007 California
    Trader

We lived in Upstate New York, remember mostly Genny Crean Ale, in the later years of his life we got growler of Rohrbach to have with those NY white hotdogs....awesome times. Wouldn't have to be anything to special, just to sit down with him again would be special enough !!!

30. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,770) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

He loves to bring me to his local place in the Catskills, Callicoon Brewing Co., these days- so we'd have whatever's on tap (probably the Porter) and toast each other with "you've come a long way, son/dad". :slight_smile:

SummitSeries72 and jj139 like this.
  31. loafinaround

loafinaround Aspirant (200) Jul 16, 2011 New York

my dad passed away 30 years ago.... It would have to be a good old fashioned schmidt's.

32. loafinaround

loafinaround Aspirant (200) Jul 16, 2011 New York

I'm totally with you.... I'd drink a chelada. It doesn't make a difference. Miss my dad.

Mehinaman likes this.
  33. ClavisAurea

ClavisAurea Meyvn (1,029) Jul 4, 2008 New York

My father does not like beer, he still has the impression that it is all mass marketed American Lagers and won't try any crafts. He does like dry red wines though so this opens up a lot of wine barrel aged options. He also likes chocolate. I would have to open a bottle of Victory's Red Thunder, a red wine barrel aged Baltic Porter. I recently reviewed the 2013 vintage with pleasure. tannins from the barrel, a bit oaky, chocolaty, rich and round with a slight bite from the tannic acid.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/87404/?ba=ClavisAurea

Mehinaman likes this.
  34. BrewlsRules

BrewlsRules Initiate (25) Mar 24, 2015 Wisconsin

Not only would my dad love Heady Topper (he loves every IPA and DIPA I bring him), but what he would love more would be talking at work about drinking the #1 beer with Morty Seinfeld-like pride.

35. AugustusRex

AugustusRex Disciple (336) Apr 12, 2013 Canada

Westmalle Tripel, apparantly dads who hate non-BMC beers love tripels.

36. classixIII

classixIII Disciple (338) Oct 10, 2012 Pennsylvania

My father passed away in 1957 when I was just a couple years old so I never got to do a lot of things with him. I think growing up without him from a very young age, and being part of an awesome family, I felt like I never missed too much and this may sound odd but of all the things I could have thought about missing as I got older, having a beer with my father was one ritual I often wished I could have participated in. My fathers side of the family were pretty much teetotalers but I would like to imagine that during his time he would have treated himself to the "Prince of Pilseners" or maybe a Fort Pitt on occasion.

My children, all Craft Beer Aficionados, have had many a tasting with their old man!
    This Father's Day we will raise a glass of Duquesne, as well as some craftier selections in memory of all fathers who are no longer with us. Cheers Dad!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.