What one style do you just not like?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheVenerableMead, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

Saisons and Farmhouse Ales for me. I keep trying but I don't get the appeal. I also don't like anything made with (Belgian or sometimes German) yeast that results in clove smell or taste. Always hated clove itself as a spice. Darker Belgian beers seem to avoid this.

2. MNAle

MNAle Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

DIPAs
    Many IPAs (although some I can enjoy)
    Basically anything that carpet-bombs my tongue with pine or citrus to the point there is no beer there

Quaff and LittleGus like this.
  3. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

The Jacks Abby Smoke and Dagger is awesome. But smoked beers showing up doesn't surprise me. IPAs being listed often, that surprises me. In the general population I'd expect it, but not here.

ArsMoriendiOU818 likes this.
  4. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I have to admit I did not like it at first either but they do grow on you. =)

5. Dirty25

Dirty25 Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 Germany

Not a fan of berlinerweiße that's about it

6. Phocion

Phocion Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2005 Minnesota

Most styles I thought I disliked in the past I have found exceptions that made me realize I just had subpar examples. There are a few styles that bore me (AALs, Light Lagers, etc.), but there is only one style that I actually truly dislike and have never found a beer to change my mind. Surprisingly it hasn't been mentioned here yet, but I just cannot like an Irish Dry Stout.

7. njfoses

njfoses Initiate (193) May 28, 2014 Georgia

Anything "brewed with pure rocky mountain spring water."

8. Vogt52

Vogt52 Initiate (0) May 25, 2014 Maryland

You must not have had the right wheat beer, but to each his own

9. yankeej13

yankeej13 Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Florida

Yes your right, I have tried to venture out but never came across anything that really stuck my palette in a good way.

10. Vogt52

Vogt52 Initiate (0) May 25, 2014 Maryland

ever try anything from Weihenstephaner?

11. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,081) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Barleywines. Just can't do it all the time. If it's overly sweet...forget it just have to force it down, which I would prefer not to do.
    Close second is Hefe's. It's that over-ripe banana and clove.
    I think it has more to do with the aroma too.

12. ThePaintedGrey

ThePaintedGrey Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2013 Pennsylvania

As with everything, there's always exceptions, but more often than not, I'm generally not impressed with fruit beers, pilsners, lagers, and some barrel-aged strong ales.

13. augustwest

augustwest Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2014 Georgia

Fruit beers for me, never liked them and also hefes

Gear54 likes this.
  14. zachpaschal

zachpaschal Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2014 Indiana

It may grow on me as IPA's used to be that style but I have been drinking them more lately but I'm with you that I just haven't found a taste for Porters. Not sure why that is but it's the one style that I really don't care for right now.

15. beerluvr

beerluvr Pooh-Bah (1,826) Jan 2, 2001 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Never been a fan of the Gose style. Tried it a few times and it just doesn't work for me.

16. Bonis

Bonis Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2010 Ohio

Man, going through some of these responses kinda irks me (and I don't consider myself a true BA snob)... IPAs and Porters? You don't like them? Why are you on this website? I know, I'm being a douche, but those are 2 of the most beautiful styles of beer produced on this earth.

I just can't get over IPAs being listed here... a well crafted IPA is about as perfect of a representation of beer that you can find. A dynamic blend of hops with a subtle malt backbone, there's not much better than that.

Sours? Sure I understand sours aren't for everybody, but the experience alone of drinking a sour should keep them off of this thread. Again, some of the best beers on the earth are sour. To each their own, I'm aware of that.

As lame as this is, going through the style lists on here, the only ones "I just don't like" are the adjunct lagers and light lagers, etc... I had a hard time thinking of any style that "I just don't like", until I remembered about that cheaply made overcarbonated barely darker than water crap that the mass market likes to call beer.

Geuzedad and famousmortimer like this.
  17. timotao

timotao Pundit (960) Sep 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

American Barleywines. I just don't like hops in a big malty beer.

rozzom likes this.
  18. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

There are 2 styles that I just can't enjoy:
    1) Pumpkin beers and
    2) Smoked beers.

I will try a couple of pumpkins every fall. It just reassures me that it is not for me.

19. JDV

JDV Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2007 Texas

Too many too pick just one.
    Scotch ale/scottish ales, saisons, most any belgian ale with belgian yeast, dubbell, trippel, black IPA, imperial pilsners and lately DIPAs and Barleywines too.

20. famousmortimer

famousmortimer Initiate (0) May 18, 2014 Oregon

Scrolling through this thread, I was thinking exactly this.

And how can you dislike this many styles? :grimacing:

For me, the closest one style could come to me confessing to not enjoying on the whole is the session IPA. Most are very underwhelming to me, however, I will always be a Kane Ripple and All Day loyalist.

Bonis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.