What percentage is your IPA consumption?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ESHBG, Nov 18, 2019.

?

% IPA Consumption?

1. 100%

5 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. 75%

116 vote(s)
    36.5%
  3. 50%

93 vote(s)
    29.2%
  4. 25%

76 vote(s)
    23.9%
  5. 0%

28 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. alucard6679

alucard6679 Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Went with 25%
    I love IPAs of various kind, can even get into the new smoothie/milkshake bullshit :rolling_eyes::sunglasses:
    But....there's like a hundred something styles (or whatever, I forget) and I love most of them, and love drinking them, especially if they happen to be in season. Too much out there to limit myself, at least that my perspective. If you want to drink from one category, or one subcategory, or one brewery that's trendy because of one subcategory, or hell, just one fucking beer that you feel is unsurpassable by anything...then you do you, fellow BA:grin:
    Cheers

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  2. roan22

roan22 Crusader (780) Jun 30, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

I picked 75% but this is for IPAs only. Session IPAs and Pale Ales I like a lot too. Pilsners and Black IPAs. I'm the weirdo who likes dark roasty beers that are also med-high in IBU. I drink stouts rarely I prefer porters.

thesherrybomber and Peach63 like this.
  3. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,956) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

Probably around 50%, but maybe more.

Lot of it is more about the beer than the style, as 90% of that is La Cumbre's Elevated IPA.

Ahypercube likes this.
  4. micada

micada Zealot (556) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Trader

IPA 25% or less. Good for summer, but even then I want a malty malt IPA. Our area is usually cool or cold, and big stouts or barleywines are the bomb for that kind of weather. Hang out on the back deck or by a roaring fire, sipping on a dark oil beverage...mmmm.

5. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,019) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I voted 75%. Then changed it to 50% after looking at some of my numbers. As a percentage of new beers, looks like IPAs make up about 44%, but I think I drink a lot more IPA repeats than others.

6. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 Washington
    Society

75% of the time, winter warmers and stouts round it out currently.

Recently I've been flooded with DIPAs, 8-10% ABV, but my wife's best friend just started renting one of our spare bedrooms and she got trashed so... for her sake I've dialed it back to 7% or lower.

7. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (552) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

Other than when I'm in the US, I pretty much never drink IPA.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,836) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Ron, more reasons to come visit the US. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

P.S. Although the IPA choices in Great Britain seems to be very good these days.

Roguer likes this.
  9. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,628) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

It went up phenomenally after the last BIF, it’ll settle down as I work thru the beers. Really don’t but a lot of IPAs, and really only due to what I’d deem worthy to buy, imo only Pernicious and Two Hearted Ale are a but if I’m looking for ipas.

10. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,484) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

If you went by my # of ratings, the percentage would probably be over 50% - but that's artificial. I would say I consume IPAs and stouts at a fairly equal pace, probably about 40% each, with 20% left on other styles.

Part of it is sheer accessibility: it's very easy to grab an IPA damn near any time, and at most places. Even Lagunitas or Goose IPAs are going to be better airport offerings than, say, Stella or Blue Moon.

11. dbl_delta

dbl_delta Poo-Bah (2,755) Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Hm. Interesting question. My seat-of-the-pants estimate would have been 75%, but then I thought shoot I've been tracking all these beers for YEARS so let's just count 'em. My actual IPA consumption (including IPAs, NEIPAs, IIPAs, etc) is only 405 out of 1247, or about 32%. Now I'm wondering what I'm drinking the other 68% of the time.....

ESHBG likes this.
  12. TheRougeBastard

TheRougeBastard Champion (814) Aug 22, 2011 North Carolina

I selected 75%...but actually closer to 95%! While I'll enjoy a good beligan, porter, or stout, the IPA is my go to, period, dot! Love the dank, hoppy goodness!

roan22 likes this.
  13. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (306) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

In the Spring/Summer probably 50-75%

In the Fall probably 10%

In the Winter probably 25%

14. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (346) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

0% for me. Likely 5% or a tiny but more. I find IPAs to be very drinkable unless they are very bitter. Still, they can weigh on the palate more than I prefer, especially after more than one. My beer love is stouts, lagers, porters, wheats, wits, pumpkins, browns, Belgians, or basically anything malt-centric. I also try to vote with my wallet and I don't want to support the overabundance of shelf space given to IPAs. I'd like to return to the days when multiple brands of stout, porter, wheat, and wit, etc, were available.

ESHBG likes this.
  15. Ahypercube

Ahypercube Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2015 California

I’m also going with 25. It’s a little more than that, since I’m counting IIPAs and NEIPAs in that figure, but I’d say it’s definitely under 40% of my total beer consumption by volume. A year ago, it was closer to 75%, but I was drinking significantly more at that time, so I usually wanted something that would hit me hard, and leave me with enough room in my stomach for a few more as the night goes on. Try drinking three pints of an imperial stout and tell me how your stomach feels, ya know? Plus imperial sours are expensive and few other styles can really do well at over 7% ABV besides Belgian Trippels and the rare imperial red, both of which are still a little pricier (and heavier) than most IPAs. Now that I’m living in a city and have been willfully limiting myself to one or two beers in a night, I’ve been more prone to experimentation, and I’m really into sours lately. There are a lot of other styles out there, they’re just not as efficient at getting a person hammered.

That said, at a bar, unless they’ve got a really tasty saison or something, I’ll probably go with an IPA I know I like. Bang for your buck, ya know?

#95 Ahypercube, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  16. Ahypercube

Ahypercube Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2015 California

This is forgivable considering your location in the state that brews that delicious stuff, but there are other great IPAs at reasonless prices around...

17. rjniles

rjniles Initiate (88) Aug 30, 2012 South Carolina

I voted 75% but in truth it is closer to 100 %. I always will look for an IPA but if nothing else is available I will drink Yuengling.

18. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,639) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Is that total beers or just unique beers? Cause for me, IPAs (or other hoppy pale ale styles) are my most common repeat drinker. So while they aren't 75% of the beers I've reviewed on here they are easily 75% of the individual beers I drink in a given week

roan22 likes this.
  19. corm44

corm44 Aspirant (217) Aug 28, 2014 New York
    Trader

Close to 0%. IPA is far and away my least favorite style. I still try highly rated ones from time to time in the hopes that I will find one I really like, but so far I have not come across one that I have ever wanted to drink again.

ESHBG likes this.
  20. ItsYourBoyBlue

ItsYourBoyBlue Zealot (567) Feb 23, 2014 Washington
    Trader

I went through the same thing a few years ago, I got to drinking nothing but IPAs and looking for the bitterest west coasters I could find. I ended up burning myself out on hops for a while and went to drinking browns, porters, and all of the stouts. Now I'm at about a 75% ipa rate with every other style mixed in that last 25%. The good thing with the craft beer scene now is that you can get quite a variance in IPAs so it's easier not to get burnt out.

Going out I think my IPA consumption is closer to 90% versus any other style. I typically want something easy to drink and I'm spoiled for choice in this region.

roan22 and ESHBG like this.