What pub or brewery near you has the best Fish & Chips?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by NeroFiddled, Jul 9, 2019.

1. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,836) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

For me it has to be The Ugly Oyster in Reading, PA. They're not exactly "traditional" but they're excellent. I wish there were more places that did them well, and I hate to even order them when I'm not sure of what I'll get because sometimes it's a Mrs. Paul's or Gorton's Fisherman that's delivered to me.

seakayak and champ103 like this.
  2. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,785) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Always like the Fish & Chips at Triumph Brewery in Princeton, NJ when they were served in a plain paper cone in "spiral" stainless holder - similar to:
    [​IMG]

Was kinda disappointed last time I order them (years ago now) and they came on a ----
    ---- china plate! :slight_frown:

(By the looks of things on Google Images and IG, etc., no more spirals at Triumph.)

And, I NEVER order the Fish & Chips without first confirming the have malt vinegar. No malt vinegar and it's back to the menu with a "I'm gonna need a few more minutes..."

(Tip o' the beer crown, too, to the FIVE GUYS hamburger chain for having malt vinegar for their fries... just got to remember to ask for "No salt" - 'cause they often put a blizzard of NaCl on them otherwise. I'll handle that aspect of my meal - thank you.)

Jacobier10, seakayak and champ103 like this.
  3. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,447) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Not a ton of really good places near me in Houston. The Red Lion is pretty good (this spot was on that stupid Guy Fieri show years ago). I wouldn't call them my favorite but they are the ones that always come up for my area when talking about "the best."

During lent one of my favorite places to go is called Stanton's City Bites. Which is a hole in the wall with the best burger in Houston, but on Fridays for lent will do awesome fish and chips. Also Good Dog, which is a hot dog and beer place, but has some good ones.

Karbach probably makes the best version from a breweries restaurant. I miss The Queen Vic, which was a great English style pub with awesome curry and fish and chips. They closed a year or so ago. McGonigel's Mucky Duck is a great pub and music venue where you can get dinner and a show, pretty legit there. Rudyard's is an old dive that has great beer selection and really good fish and chips. That might be it, there are other pseudo English or Irish pubs but they are frozen crap like you said.

seakayak likes this.
  4. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,354) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Easy answer here in Portland Oregon. The Horse Brass pub has had the reputation for producing the best fish and chips in town for years, and I think the reputation is deserved. I think you have a choice of either cod or haddock for the fish, and it's never greasy. The "chips" are hand cut and very lightly battered (virtually unbuttered). Always served with malted vinegar, A1 and some sort of British facsimile who's name escapes me. Good stuff.

muchloveforhops3 and champ103 like this.
  5. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,836) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I've only been to The Horse Brass pub once. My new friend insisted I stop by and see it although I kept mistakenly calling it "The Brass Horse" and he didn't really like that. He explained to me what 'horse brass' was, and when I arrived he showed me. My bad. RIP Don.

6. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,354) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Still a great place, but I'd be lying if I said it hadn't changed somewhat since Don Y. passed.

7. Glider

Glider Zealot (514) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

It’s Boston, so there’s plenty of Irish pubs and seafood restaurants around. The Druid in Cambridge would be my current go-to. Always a charming bartender with an Irish accent, cosy little spot with traditional Irish music a couple nights a week, great fish and chips, and they have a rotating tap from Lamplighter, a newish brewery a few streets away.

8. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,057) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

The fish & chips at Forest & Main Brewing in Ambler, PA are some of the best I've had. Paired up with one of their bitters or milds on cask really takes it to the next level. Maybe it's the ambiance of the place that makes it seem so good, but it works.

Overall, the food at Triumph is top notch. I like to think of them as one of the first places that started the whole "elevated pub food" thing. Can't remember ever having their fish & chips though. Might have to give it a shot next time.

9. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,046) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Northampton Brewery in Northampton MA.
    Excellent fish and Chips, often they have the Daniels Shays Best Bitter on as well.
    A near perfect combination
    Cheers all