What Rum Are You Drinking Now?

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by Greywulfken, May 25, 2019.

1. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,134) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

I LOVE that Zacapa 23, and I'm not normally a big fan of molasses, which for me that one is all about. My bottle has been sitting all winter waiting for summer, and I'll soon be hitting it hard in mojitos.

2. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,564) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Cheers, people!

[​IMG]

3. Scrapss

Scrapss Crusader (759) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania

Zacapa. Hands down my favorite rum

[​IMG]

And apparently yours and yours and yours too.

Cheers!

4. Scrapss

The neck is absolutely destroyed on this....going for Zacapa 23 bliss

Straight no chasers, mofo.

A bottle you, sir, would not refuse.

Ron, if you're out there, I'd like to introduce you to Zacapa.

StoutElk_92, jkblr, TheGent and 2 others like this.
  5. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (1,975) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

Was sipping on El Dorado 8yr on the rocks here and there over the spring. Bottle is damn near gone.

Big fan of Cotton & Reed Allspice Dram (a dark Jamaican style rum based liqueur). Nice with coffee, and excellent with some pinepple juice and soda water, maybe a smacked basil leaf.

Got a bottle of Smith & Cross navy proof waiting in the wings.

Shanex, StoutElk_92, TheGent and 3 others like this.
  6. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,299) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

This is really good and very sweet. I'll try the 8 year next time.

7. adrock314

adrock314 Savant (945) Apr 14, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Enough beer for tonight...finishing it up with some Maggie's.
    [​IMG]
    Part of the Queen's Share series. Batch 21 was finished in Sherry barrels and bottled at 110pf. Everything Maggie's Farm makes is incredible. I'd advise anyone that swings through Pittsburgh to pay them a visit - they make some incredible cocktails and they always have some great bottles available for sale. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

8. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,901) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Good evening, all! I finally scored a bottle of Clément Select Barrel Rhum Agricole, at Binny's in Peoria this afternoon. Coincidentally, there was a Portillo's just across the parking lot from the liquor store, so I paired this with some Italian beef and chicken tenders. :yum: I'll tell ya what, though, this stuff makes a damn fine Cuba Libre. Cheers, Santé, Salud, whatever's your pleasure!

[​IMG]

9. jrc1093

jrc1093 Poo-Bah (2,368) Mar 18, 2018 Connecticut
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Been looking forward to jumping in on this thread for awhile now. Cheers, all!

StoutElk_92, TheGent, Premo88 and 6 others like this.
  10. Scrapss

Calypso. Plastic bottle 1.75 Liter for like 20 bucks. It is like a low shelf Captain Morgan.

I got 5 days off. This is going to die a horrible death, mixing with lime squeezes and general debauchery.

[​IMG]

I do not recommend it unless you like spiced rum. It is less spice aggressive than Captain Morgan, IMO.

Cheers!

11. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,377) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Sipping shots of Appleton 12...
    [​IMG]
    Thought I was done over in WBAYDN but still up - been watching YouTube videos and listening to the latest Mastodon release for a bit now...

Cheers...

jkblr, StoutElk_92, TheGent and 4 others like this.
  12. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Champion (865) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

It’s amazing how camera angles and what’s in the foreground vs background affects relative size. That shot glass looks almost like a highball. I said, “Jesus Christ! He said sipping shots. He meant, SHOTS AND SHOTS!”

StoutElk_92, Premo88 and Greywulfken like this.
  13. Greywulfken

Society Trader

And that's the end of the Appleton 12...
    [​IMG]
    The fruits on this are past ripe which adds this decadent fruit-cake rum character - amply spiced and very smooth - little to no alcohol heat and a drying wash of wood on the finish...

The eyes have it... :wink:

Cheers...

#53 Greywulfken, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Premo88, jkblr, StoutElk_92 and 5 others like this.
  14. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I've read that Foursquare is supposed to be some good stuff. I understand that they make several, but the ex-bourbon 14yr (or something similar) is I think what people are always raving about. Just curious if anyone has tried anything from them yet.

Premo88 and Greywulfken like this.
  15. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (197) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

Foursquare makes great Barbados rums under different label names. Doorly’s, Foursquare, R.L. Seale, etc. I think you’ve heard about the Doorly’s 14, but the 12, XO, and 8 are excellent too. I doubt you’ll find a bad rum from them.
    The glass of Brugal Anejo I’m having now as a nightcap is good too.

#55 jeebeel, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  16. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I'm not in a position to buy anything right now, but when I am it sounds like I have some reading to do. Thanks for the info :slight_smile: One thing that has attracted me to them is the comparative price - for what it sounds like the apparent quality is, the price is very affordable.

Premo88 and jeebeel like this.
  17. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (3,264) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

That rum sounds delicious, I might have to check that out sometime in the future.

For now, I'm sipping on some Diplomático Reserva Exclusiva that an old coworker from NY recommended to me and I tried at a bar one night with him, and enjoyed it so much that I had to purchase a bottle once I found it in stores. And no, that coworker wasn't @Greywulfken :grin: I'm glad to see someone else on here enjoying it though!

[​IMG]
    Had this bottle for about a year and a half I think and enjoyed every sip so far. It's like a dessert spirit to me. Right now after being hid away all year I'm getting some butterscotch aromas that I don't remember from before, the taste is still magnificent even if a bit changed. Super ridiculously sweet and rich as soon as it hits your tongue, mellowing into this kind of tropical fruity vanilla ice cream chocolate molasses oaky spice dessert flavor, wonderful. A bit of oxidation in it now I think, hints of leather, almost cherry, some butterscotch notes, overall a really great rich and sweet dessert-like complex dark rum. Cheers everyone!

18. Rainintheface

Rainintheface Savant (976) Apr 30, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Rum and Coke. Goslings Black Seal is my choice. Nothing fancy.

Premo88, TheGent, StoutElk_92 and 2 others like this.
  19. Greywulfken

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Had some minis left over from unused gift bags this Christmas - little Bacardi Gold contributed nicely to this rum-and-coke...

Cheers...

Lemmy, 12/24/45 - 12/28/15

adrock314, jkblr, Premo88 and 3 others like this.
  20. mendonjoebeer

mendonjoebeer Aspirant (251) Nov 9, 2010 North Carolina

21. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (575) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon

[​IMG]
    This one is my intro to higher end rum, via suggestion of a friend. Trying it neat, there's so much going on and it's almost too funky but also kept me coming back for more. Mixed it into a dark & stormy with a touch of orange bitters and it really sings. The proof is just right and the banana comes through nicely.

MrOH, jkblr, Greywulfken and 2 others like this.
  22. StoutElk_92

Society

Not sure why but I can never see your pics. Would be helpful if you put the name of what you are drinking in the post, if you so please... Cheers! :slight_smile:

Premo88 likes this.
  23. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (575) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon

That might have been because of a setting on my end, hope you can see them now. Smith & Cross is my go to for now.[​IMG]

24. StoutElk_92

Society

Still can't seem to see that photo. I also don't see the picture from the post before you either. Sometimes the photo servers might be messed up on this site. No problem if we know what you're drinking even without a photo, sometimes people forget to type it though, myself included.

Beer_Economicus, Premo88 and afrokaze like this.
  25. adrock314

adrock314 Savant (945) Apr 14, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

El Dorado 15 was kind of my gateway into better rum. I still love it, but I do find myself gravitating to higher proof/more complex options most of the time these days. It really satisfies when craving something sweet, though.
    [​IMG]

26. TheHammer

TheHammer Poo-Bah (1,594) Feb 15, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Society

Breaking out a bit of the good stuff, nice mild fruity rum with great pineapple notes.

[​IMG]

27. nruhlig

nruhlig Aspirant (258) Jan 4, 2019 Minnesota

Enjoying this neat. The sherry definitely shows up. At 20$ I will be picking up another when this gets low.

[​IMG]

jkblr, Premo88, Greywulfken and 2 others like this.
  28. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (3,256) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

First time posting here. Turns out my memories and impressions of rum are the same as other spirits. Formed by bottom shelf swill 25 years ago as a broke college kid.

Turns out, this rum is great!
    [​IMG]
    No bite, sweet cane sugar flavor alongside oak barrel. Worked really well in a Cuba Libre the other night as well.

29. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,134) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Time to dust off the ho, ho, ho and a bottle of ...
    [​IMG]
    This rum is one of the most love-hate foodstuff experiences I've had. I love it's "lighter" toffee/caramel/vanilla/maple syrup flavors that aren't straight molasses, love the yummy sweet wood notes. I hate the plastic note ... it's impossible to describe, but the only other time I've run into this note is with a very old bottling of bourbon (1948 Old Forester BiB), and I've always assumed with that bottle from the 1940s that it was old bottle effect (OBE). But this Foursquare Rum is in modern glass, and it's not that old ... in glass about 2 years when I bought it, 4 years now, not 70. So it can't be OBE.

I've not sipped from this bottle in months and months, maybe a year, but it's just as good/frustrating as ever. The yummy sweet flavors are there, so is that OBE-like plastic note. I'm taking it with me to a family friend's house this weeking b/c her dad will be there, and he likes rum ... not sure what he'll think of this one, but on ice or with a mixer, it will be great.

Cheers!

30. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (3,256) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

I'm back and I'm buying up rum quick before the word gets out and prices head up like bourbon and Scotch...

[​IMG]
    This is actually a Cuba Libre with an ounce of fresh squeezed lime juice and an ounce of each rum. Totally different drink with the Rum Fire 151 proof. I'll have to try it watered down at some point to fully understand the funk, but it's major. Bought a bottle of Hamilton 151 today as well. I'm fully engaged in the rum game now. Cheers all!

31. StoutElk_92

Society

Got some Ron Zacapa 23 and I'm liking it. Really a different drink and style of rum than what I'm used to with the whiskey and sherry oak aging. Interesting, sweet and fruity, nice and caramelized, kinda screams cola syrup to me, making me want a rum and coke with lime. I just might end up doing that. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

32. Greywulfken

Society Trader

It's in a Cuba Libre, but it's Bacardi Gold, from Puerto Rico...
    [​IMG]
    Cheers...

dcotom, StoutElk_92, jkblr and 2 others like this.
  33. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,755) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

For me Bacardi is the Smirnoff of the Rum World. Not exceptional but always appropriate.

34. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Pyrat XO Reserve rum, blending Caribbean rums aged up to 16 years...
    [​IMG]
    Kinda like a next-level Bacardi Gold - and I totally respect Bacardi Gold - so reliable - this is full of fruit and sweet with alcohol and spice, but drier and airier...
    [​IMG]
    Of course, it ended up in a rum and coke, too (not a Cuba Libre, but instead with a couple of Luxardo maraschino cherries)...
    [​IMG]
    Well, that's the tail-end pic lol...

New Alien Weaponry...

Cheers...

35. beer_beer

beer_beer Defender (620) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

I'm drinking the NA Rumish, and enjoy it quite a bit. I quit whisky/rum about four years ago, and this is my first try of an NA variant. Could this boom like NA beer?

36. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (1,975) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

Smith and Cross is the rum I try to keep in my cabinet.

Premo88 and Bigrock like this.
  37. Squire

Society Trader

Myers Dark Rum used in my Daiquiri tonignt.

Premo88, dcotom, jkblr and 2 others like this.
  38. Squire

Society Trader

Bacardi Rum in my Sunrise cocktail. Usually gin or vodka but today I thought I'd try rum.

[​IMG]

Premo88, dcotom, jkblr and 1 other person like this.
  39. Squire

Society Trader

Cruzan Aged Light Rum in my Sunrise cocktail.

[​IMG]

Premo88, dcotom, jkblr and 1 other person like this.
  40. Squire

Society Trader

Cruzan Aged Light Rum in my morning sunrise cocktail.

Premo88, Bigrock and dcotom like this.