What Rye whiskey are you drinking now?

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by jkblr, May 4, 2019.

1. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (1,651) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Not sure how the group feels, but didn’t want to post in any of the other threads
    [​IMG]
    I can't explain 100%, but I really like high rye whiskey, but can't get into bourbon or even "rye" with high corn percentage. This one is really good. What rye are you drinking now?

Samlover55, Harrison8, Squire and 5 others like this.
  2. scream

scream Meyvn (1,030) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

That's a good one !!! Price varies all over the place tho.$25-$60

Harrison8 and Premo88 like this.
  3. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,383) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Society Trader

That one is pretty plentiful around here and at $40 I've been tempted to grab a bottle.

Harrison8 and Premo88 like this.
  4. jkblr

Society Trader

It was on sale for $35. I felt like that was a no brainer.

Premo88 and GOBLIN like this.
  5. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,606) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I like everything, but when it comes to rye, I like it in your face. So that is a good one. I like the Rendezvous better, but it’s too expensive at $60+.
    Redemption and Bulleit are both 95% so those are my favorites. Dickel is good too. Especially considering it’s about $18. I was just reading about a 100% rye coming out soon. Have to look and see what it was again.

Squire and Premo88 like this.
  6. jkblr

Society Trader

I found a store that has Rendezvous for $53 and was thinking about pulling the trigger at that price. Dickel is just as expensive here as the other two you mentioned but they are all on my list to purchase for everyday drinking.

Premo88 likes this.
  7. WesMantooth

Trader

Crap. The one I was thinking of was this. Which was also Dave’s last whiskey I believe, so it will probably be $200
    https://whistlepigwhiskey.com/whiskeys/piggyback-rye/

Premo88 likes this.
  8. WesMantooth

Trader

This is solid, but I wouldn’t go over the $20ish price point for it. Much rather have Dickel or spend another few bucks for my favorite, Redemption.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eddiehop, Squire, Premo88 and 2 others like this.
  9. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (434) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

i've become in no hurry to "try" new stuff, gotten more practical in admitting it's not like i "need" more. is Dickel actually decent? they've been unloading them at Costcos around here $30 for 2 liters. i keep walking past it spraining my neck but exercising great restraint.

[​IMG]

Squire, Premo88 and jkblr like this.
  10. Glider

Glider Aspirant (212) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts

To my understanding, most of the 95% ryes are made from the same juice coming out of MGP, which includes Dickel, Redemption, Bulleit, and plenty of others. I’ve had bottles of those three and there is a definite resemblance. So if you like Bulleit, there’s a good chance you’ll like the Dickel as well.

For my taste they are all decent for making cocktails. Not really sipping neat quality.

Squire and Premo88 like this.
  11. Highbrow

Trader

thanks! that's what i figured.

i'm too lazy & impatient to be much of a cocktail dude. on the fence. also, i'm not a huge fan of MGP rye - "dill" isn't my thing.

Premo88 likes this.
  12. WesMantooth

Trader

At the same price, and maybe a bit more, Dickel is better for me because of the higher rye bill and it’s still 90 proof. I will say that it is the weakest to me of the aforementioned high ryes, and more cocktail worthy. I suppose without an ingredient bias, approaching it as do you like MGP stuff would be the best bet.

While neither Bulleit or Redemption are a high end class rye to me, they are fine to enjoy own their own. Bulleit is more florally to me, where Redemption is a strong baking spice/apple crisp. It still remains a daily drinker and one of my favorites at about $24.

To me there is a distinct lack of good $30-40 range ryes (not counting barely legal, but very good Knob Creek or harder and harder to find Sazerac). Everything kind of jumps from Rittenhouse to $50+. Including the new places popping up across the country.

But back to Dickel. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend trying at that price. Actually $4 less than a 750 here if you buy 2! It won’t go to waste, because it will make plenty of Old Fashioneds.

Premo88 and Highbrow like this.
  13. Highbrow

Trader

not really.

[​IMG]

LuskusDelph, Premo88 and WesMantooth like this.
  14. WesMantooth

Trader

And $2 cheaper. Only Cleveland and Columbus area usually have any these days.
    [​IMG]
    This usually ends up represents a case or two for most places, and this is on delivery day(s). The map will be blank by Friday for another month possibly.

Premo88 likes this.
  15. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,356) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I picked up a bottle of Double Rye a while back on sale (~$20) and wish I had bought a lot more. It's the first and only bottle of rye I've ever owned. I'm open to suggestions on replacing it. I enjoy drinking it neat or in an old fashioned.

Premo88 and scream like this.
  16. jkblr

Society Trader

I've got a few minutes this morning before a nap and my last nightshift for the week. I've been meaning to do this anyway.
    [​IMG]
    Looks are identical and aroma is really close. The Double Rye is a touch sweeter. The Templeton has the littlest bit of harshness in comparison. Both are good neat IMO with the Double Rye being the better of the two. I paid $35 for the DR and $31 for the Templeton, so my next step is to pick up something on either end of that spectrum and determine what I'm really paying for.

Squire, Premo88, Highbrow and 4 others like this.
  17. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,786) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

WhistlePig while watching the PGA

Premo88, jkblr, WesMantooth and 2 others like this.
  18. jkblr

Society Trader

My daughter had friends over to celebrate the conclusion of their freshman year of high school. They are all gone now. I deserve this...
    [​IMG]
    Very nice. Not sure it should command and additional $20 over Double Rye, but I've got about 24 more ounces to figure it out. Cheers!

TooGood, TheGent, Squire and 6 others like this.
  19. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Defender (641) Nov 18, 2013 Texas

[​IMG]

It wasn't worth the $55 price.

jkblr, TheGent, Glider and 4 others like this.
  20. WesMantooth

Trader

Thanks for biting the bullet (that just came out and wasn’t on purpose. Please don’t report me) I have been considering that for awhile, but really couldn’t justify it. I like the regular too. Especially for the price point.

Thankin_Hank, jkblr and Premo88 like this.
  21. sjguglielmo

sjguglielmo Initiate (60) Aug 26, 2009 Minnesota
    Trader

Meant to post this last night. Love this one.

[​IMG]

22. jkblr

Society Trader

Nightcap here...
    [​IMG]
    Bought this bottle to season wood chips for oak aged home brew. Made a few Manhattans & Old fashioneds and have tried a little straight. Still the least enjoyable for me. Too close in heat, feel and flavor to those cheap whiskeys that plagued my college years. Someday I might work back around to Knob Creek & Beam in general, but for now, I'm happy looking elsewhere. Cheers all!

TooGood, Premo88, WesMantooth and 2 others like this.
  23. WesMantooth

Trader

This one sucks. Even for $15. Might have mentioned it already, but worth reiterating.
    [​IMG]

24. WesMantooth

Trader

25. TheGent

Society Trader

The go to. That’s a sweet glass.

I just picked up this bottle of a favorite that I’ve had out many times but never purchased for home consumption. I’m enjoying this glass right now.

Squire, TooGood, Glider and 3 others like this.
  26. jkblr

Society Trader

Currently...
    [​IMG]
    I am fairly amazed at the complexity and smoothness of this one. Ironic that the website that helped me justify paying more that $10 for a beer has me browsing higher end whiskey now. Cheers all!

TheGent, Premo88, Squire and 4 others like this.
  27. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,154) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Yes, MGPI makes some very good Rye Whiskey, as does Barton. I believe this one is a blend of young (two year) MGPI rye and some very old Rye that Barton made years ago. I have a high regard for Barton Rye which is used in the Sazerac and Buffalo Trace Brands.

Premo88, jkblr and thesherrybomber like this.
  28. TooGood

TooGood Defender (693) Jan 28, 2014 Minnesota

[​IMG]
    I raise a Few to those who have given the ultimate sacrifice.

4truth, TheGent, Premo88 and 4 others like this.
  29. jkblr

Society Trader

I believe High West has made some changes recently. Their website offers this information:
    Age(s), Distilled by & Mashbill(s)
    A blend of older Straight Rye whiskeys ranging in age from 4 to 7 years.
    Straight Rye whiskeys:
    95% rye, 5% barley malt from MGP
    80% rye, 20% malted rye from High West Distillery

I've not had an older bottle, so I can't speak to any difference. I think every small whiskey blender is trying to work their own product into the mix to increase perceived value. Great rye anyway. Cheers

Premo88, Squire and scream like this.
  30. TooGood

TooGood Defender (693) Jan 28, 2014 Minnesota

[​IMG]
    It’s not a rye, but it’s still a whiskey. Cheers!

TheGent, Squire, Glider and 3 others like this.
  31. jkblr

Society Trader

This...
    [​IMG]
    Just became this...
    [​IMG]
    I have a new bottle of the Templeton that came with the glasses, so I thought I'd consolidate. I've been reading a bit on the idea of a personal solera bottle where the last bits of previous bottles are blended together in an ever evolving bottle.

This is actually pretty good neat. The Knob Creek helps punch up the fairly tame Templeton. I'm not sure if I'm willing to experiment with either of my High West bottles, but we'll see. Cheers all!

Premo88, WesMantooth, Squire and 2 others like this.
  32. TheGent

Society Trader

Evening, people.

Premo88, WesMantooth, TooGood and 4 others like this.
  33. jkblr

Society Trader

Drinking now...
    [​IMG]
    Spicy and lovely. Cheers!

TheGent, Glider, Premo88 and 4 others like this.
  34. Squire

Society Trader

This one . . .

[​IMG]

That's the before picture.

TheGent, Glider, Premo88 and 2 others like this.
  35. scream

scream Meyvn (1,030) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

Why this one ?

Squire likes this.
  36. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,782) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

Sweet!

I've got an empty bottle waiting for me to turn into my own solera vat, but like you, I've been torn about filling it with my favorites (which are nearly all of my whiskys). Maybe I'll start playing with it this weekend.

A friend swears the best whisky on his shelf is his solera/infinity bottle. I've not been to his place yet to test it, but he's told me what's in it, and it sounds amazing. It's got 20-plus whiskys in it, about an ounce or so of each.

jkblr and scream like this.
  37. Squire

Society Trader

Because it was within reach.

jkblr and Premo88 like this.
  38. WesMantooth

Trader

[​IMG]
    This was an online order I don’t regret.

Premo88, Glider, TheGent and 3 others like this.
  39. WesMantooth

Trader

40. jkblr

Society Trader

Good evening all
    Just returned from the Smokies. Beer was poor, and I refuse to drink moonshine, but this distillery had some nice stuff...
    [​IMG]
    For $35 I was counting on mix drink quality but it's good neat. Cheers!

Glider, Squire, TheGent and 3 others like this.