What Sake Are You Drinking Now?

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by Greywulfken, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,816) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I drink more sake than I do wine, champagne, cider, or mead...
    [​IMG]
    There's a thread discussing sake over here, so check that out, too...

This bottle came in a nice little box...
    [​IMG]
    Hiro "Blue" Junmai Ginjo Sake...

Product details...
    [​IMG]
    Sake has a unique melange of flavors and aromas, which may not be to all tastes...

I enjoy the palette it presents, including this...
    [​IMG]
    Ready? Cantaloupe, lemon pith, yams, and fudgy vanilla... Sweet, herbal, floral, medium-bodied, smooth... I coulda easily had another bottle...

Kanpai!

2. Greywulfken

Society Trader

And, sho' 'nuff, here I am - having had no wine, cider, mead or champagne... :wink: lol

Maboroshi Junmai Ginjo sake (15% abv)...
    [​IMG]
    Crisp apple and sweet honeydew melon, wine-like, sinuous, delicate... Mmm...

Kanpai!

3. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Black and Gold...
    [​IMG]
    15.6% abv Junmai-shu sake from Gekkeikan... Lots of honeydew, with hints of richer tropical fruits and licorice... Full-bodied and smooth, clean finishing, dangerously drinkable...

Kanpai!

4. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Sake-to me! :grin: lol
    [​IMG]
    Kurosawa Daiginjo Premium Reserve sake...

With sushi - this is called the Adelphi roll, after a local university...
    [​IMG]
    Spicy crunch tuna inside, tuna, avocado, tobiko and scallion outside...

Awesome sake...
    [​IMG]
    Floral melon and buttery banana, with crisp and sweet bites of apple and pear...

Kanpai!

5. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Initiate (87) May 27, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

I like sake but don't know much about it. @Greywulfken, do you have any recommendations on how to start learning more about it, bottles to buy etc?

6. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Aw, heck, I'm no expert, but I've liked everything I've tried in this thread... Like beer, or anything, I think it's a matter of buy and try and you'll see what you like - that's pretty much what I'm doing now... Cheers!

Scrapss, Premo88 and PaulQuinn like this.
  7. Greywulfken

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Joto's daiginjo, The One with the Clocks - lightly herbal on the nose, with suggestions of apple pie and melon balls on the palate... Exceptionally soft and smooth...

8. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Guess who?

Yep. Me, the official BA sake taster... :astonished:
    [​IMG]
    Floral aromas with sweet citrus and orchard fruit notes; creamy soft with nice finish...
    [​IMG]
    Kanpai!

Scrapss, Glider, Premo88 and 2 others like this.
  9. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Zealot (554) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

Loving this.

Are these all cold sake, or are some hot?

How do you prepare hot at home? Legitimate (stupid???) question.

Premo88 and Greywulfken like this.
  10. Greywulfken

Society Trader

All the sake I posted in this thread I drank chilled - and I do this because every time I've asked a server to recommend a sake, they've recommended something chilled - and the bottles I've purchased have all suggested a chilled serving, although my most recent says "slightly warmed or chilled" (I still went with chilled lol)...
    [​IMG]
    And now that you say it, how would I warm sake? Microwave it? That can't be right - lol... I'm thinking "hot water bath" or the like, and a quick internet search pretty much turned up stuff along those lines...

And so, yeah, I'm having Sougen Sake, a junmai sake...
    [​IMG]
    Junmai ("pure rice") means only rice, water, yeast, and koji (a fungus) are used...

Distinct from the other sake I have posted here - a little less sweet, a little more citric - bright, sharp and clean edges - light-bodied, with definite cereal flavors... So cool...

Some sushi in the mix...
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, but the same as this post - Adelphi Roll - it's just my current crave...

All over the new Kvelertak, so the music to my ears...

Cheers...

11. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Alright, true believers, it's time for another sake...
    [​IMG]
    Hakutsuru Sho-Une ("Soaring Clouds") Dai Ginjo....
    [​IMG]
    Lots of honeydew, light banana, and fresh pear - stoopidly drinkable...

And the sushi that went with it...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Kanpai!

12. Beer_Economicus

Trader

U
    R
    Killing it
    Sir

Greywulfken likes this.
  13. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,789) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

There's no such thing as "cold or hot sake", any sake can be heated up, but it's generally recommended to drink good sake lightly chilled.

Premo88 likes this.
  14. Beer_Economicus

Trader

:rolling_eyes:

I feel like you read this not in the way it was meant to be read, but in the most literal sense. Obviously there is no such thing - there’s also no such thing as cellar temp beer and cold beer; there is only beer that can be kept/consumed at either. The same is true for Sake, obviously, but there are certain ones that are served one way or the other.

Many extremely expensive sushi restaurants serve some sake “hot”. Call me skeptical, but I have a hard time taking as law of the land that “HQ sake is never served warmed.”

15. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,789) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I read it in the way that you worded it. On the other hand, I never said that “HQ sake is never served warmed”.

16. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Tsukasabotan Junmai Senchu Hassaku...
    [​IMG]
    Lots of sweet, creamy melon and banana, with brighter sharper notes of pear and citrus... Always smooth, mildly sweet - really delightful...

There must be some "bad" sake out there, but I ain't found it yet!

Cheers...

17. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Wandering Poet junmai ginjo sake...
    [​IMG]
    Absolutely the most-wine-like, grassy, and sharp sake of the bunch - has the melon elements, sure, but with an herbal and citric edge, something suggestive more of grape must than banana - and there is an almost vegetal tang to this one - and, as if triggered by my previous post, easily my least favorite sake, but still enjoyable...

Had some sushi, too... :wink:
    [​IMG]

Scrapss, Glider, seakayak and 3 others like this.
  18. Greywulfken

Society Trader

I think I'm really gathering some steam here - sake has been so fun, I keep wanting to try more and more, and while Wandering Poet was the least to my liking of what I've tried, it was in no way "bad" - it's just the first I would not return to - preamble complete, I checked out...
    [​IMG]
    Hakutsuru Draft junmai sake - another great sake - fruity and smooth, with creamy pear and banana and a touch of coconut and rice - light and almost fluffy...

And...
    [​IMG]
    Tozai Living Jewel junmai sake - light and bright, with soft citrus, hints of fennel, and a sweet grape tone to the whole thing - very interesting, and for once I'm not mentioning banana or melon - oops - well, I guess I just did lol...

19. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,908) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Your commitment to sake has me ready to try some finally. I've put it off for years and I can't say why except the usual stuck-in-the-rut reasons.

Maybe by Monday. Definitely soon. Until then, as you were ...

Greywulfken and thesherrybomber like this.
  20. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Bro, I'm practically blogging here - between this and my What Rum Are You Drinking Now? thread (lol), I think I've outed myself as an alcoholic, too - have some sake :sunglasses:

Cheers...

21. Greywulfken

Society Trader

You, too @thesherrybomber @seakayak @Beer_Economicus lol

Premo88, thesherrybomber and seakayak like this.
  22. Greywulfken

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Tozai's Snow Maiden, my first junmai nigori in this thread (nigori indicating a "cloudy" appearance, as it is a less-filtered type of sake) - I've only had nigori sake a few times - and no surprise - always liked it... This is creamy, milky, with a slight siltiness - ample banana and melon impressions here - really nice, with a very distinctly different feel and character than more filtered sake... Kanpai!

Scrapss, mambossa, Glider and 3 others like this.
  23. Greywulfken

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Just as I returned to Tozai, I am returning to Joto - love these 300 mL bottles - this is "The Green One" - a junmai sake - as I'm finding typical, lots of clean melon, and here I'm finding a nice acidity, of apple and pear perhaps, with something akin to flowery citrus on the nose and a hint of sweet rice...

Cheers...

24. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Initiate (110) Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey

Nice thread. I usually am cheap and buy the US made sake in 1.5 L bottles for under $10 at my favorite New Jersey Japanese supermarket. That includes Hakutsuru. The little Hakutsuru is high grade old man drinking outside of the 7-11 next to the train station after work sake. 100 yen more than the regular grade. Kurosawa, Kikusui, and Otoko Yama are good sakes that I drink. I love going to Japan and drinking good sake because it is half price or less than the cost in USA. The style in a restaurant is to pour from the big bottle (shobin) into a glass that is in a box and overflow the pour into the box to give a little extra as service as they say. Recently some places put the box onto a small plate to give double overflow sake pours.

25. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Coronavirus?

Sake, please!
    [​IMG]

This is Sawanoi's junmai ginjo, or "high quality pure rice" sake...
    [​IMG]
    Very typical of what I've been experiencing so far - lots of melon-like impressions (how does rice turn into melon? lol) - this has a clean citric edge, but more suggestive of apple and pear than true citrus fruits - and yeah, I've said it before but it's still true - something akin to banana - maybe it's the sweet and creamy but fruity smoothness? Really loved it, although I'm starting to have some difficulty distinguishing between good and very good...

You bet I had my Adelphi roll with it...
    [​IMG]
    Local favorite restaurant is shutting down for two weeks starting tomorrow - manager/owner (?) said business was really slow *Asian fusion* - lol - hey, I got teriyaki chicken and shrimp and General Tso's crispy white meat chicken, too, so I'm set for tonight and breakfast tomorrow - so glad I got some today!

Cheers...

Scrapss, Glider, Premo88 and 3 others like this.
  26. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Actually came back to a couple...
    [​IMG]
    Last night and earlier this evening, a 300 mL bottle of Draft Sake from Hakutsuru...
    [​IMG]
    This is a ridiculously drinkable sake - dangerous at 14% abv...

And right now, revisiting one from before I started this thread...
    [​IMG]
    Water Lords, a "junmai ginjo shu" sake; the "shu" indicating it was made without the use of brewer's alcohol... Has a sharper, cleaner profile than non-"shu" sake - the acidity is increased and I get lots of pear and pale melon - pricey, at about $17 - just as dangerously drinkable as the Draft Sake; 15.3% abv...

Cheers...

Scrapss, Glider and Premo88 like this.
  27. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Another one I'm coming back to...
    [​IMG]
    Maboroshi junmai ginjo, tasting just as fine this time as the first...

Kanpai!

Scrapss, Premo88 and Glider like this.
  28. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Disciple (387) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

The only sake I've had would be Gekkeikan :stuck_out_tongue: Tasted like vinegar!

29. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Maybe that's what sake tastes like when it goes bad? I do pause when I see dusty bottles without boxes at the store - like, how long does this sit on the shelf? - but it seems that sake should keep a coupla years unopened, and a coupla weeks once opened (kept refrigerated, natch')... Better luck on the next one!

Cheers...

Premo88 and thesherrybomber like this.
  30. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Returning to Tsukasabotan's junmai sake, Senchu Hassaku...
    [​IMG]
    Has a light, ephemeral quality - very clean and refreshing, with soft melon and citrus...

Man, do I wish my sushi place was open...

Cheers... :wink:

31. Premo88

Society

Took me long enough but here we go:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rihaku "Wandering Poet" 15% ABV
    Grade: Junmai Ginjo (equivalent of a Double-AA sake, two levels below the major leagues?)

To say I know nothing about sake would be to understate it. :slight_smile: I did know it's a "rice wine" and that it's strong compared to standard beer and that it's often served hot or warm. My first pour is chilled from a bottle I scouted from @Greywulfken's blog here. :stuck_out_tongue:

It's surprisingly simple, like a white wine square in the middle of the dry-to-dessert spectrum, far from super sweet but also not overly bitter or dry. It has a hint of light sweet white/green grapes, maybe a canteloupe or melon rind note and a finish that disappears and has kind of a moreish quality ... moreish as in I want to shoot this little pour, go grab the bottle and chug it. Refreshing, really. There's a light tart/sour/fermented rice note in the aroma, but it's not off-putting — that note is even lighter in the flavor.

It's great! Honestly, it might become my adult beverage of choice to pair with meals. It's stripped-down enough to complement a load of things I bet.

Cheers!

32. Greywulfken

Society Trader

I'm returning to Hakutsuru's Sho-Une junmai dai ginjo sake...
    [​IMG]
    Sheltering at home lol, awaiting some Benihana hibachi delivery... :wink:

Kanpai!

Scrapss and Premo88 like this.
  33. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Seikyo's Omachi junmai ginjo sake...
    [​IMG]
    Not a fan of the brown bottle, but the sake inside was fine! Warmed well - actually liked it with the chill off more than the other sake I've tried so far - has a clean, mineral quality, lightly citric, mellowed by a gentle sweetness...

Cheers...

Premo88, Scrapss and thesherrybomber like this.
  34. Scrapss

Scrapss Savant (974) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Once this dreadful COVID 19 crap is over, I am getting some sake.

To make it hot/warm, a bain marie seems too harsh. I have an Anova sous vide. This one

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/

I do not like unitaskers, and heating sake just adds another dimension to my use of it.

Cheers.

35. Greywulfken

Society Trader

My most recent sake grab was Pure Dusk...
    [​IMG]
    Shimizu-No-Mai sake is brewed at the Akita Shurui Seizoh brewery...

I was planning on Benihana delivery yesterday, and had a coupla cups, but the food delivery didn't work out - officially finishing and reviewing today, while I am in better spirits (so bummed about the Benihana fail! We have been loving their food during our shelter-at-home - and yes, it is over-priced, but fuck it... lol)

I have had Pure Dawn, their junmai ginjo...
    [​IMG]

This, Pure Dusk, is thier junmai daiginjo...
    [​IMG]
    Floral and fruity on the nose... Overall, lean, clean, and melony - faint citrus gently introducing something almost orange-like; impressions of apple pie and crisp-but-sweet pear; not as soft-feeling as Pure Dawn - has a more taut presentation...

So I'm figuring I'm deep enough in to say that a daiginjo is not always necessarily better than a ginjo - like anything, you have to take it on a case-by-case basis, you know, whether you like something or not... And this is an excellent sake, by the way, and distinct from Pure Dawn, though not necessarily better - I'd love to do a side-by-side - recommended...

Kanpai!

36. Premo88

Society

[​IMG]
    Just my second sake, Tozai Living Jewel junmai chilled.
    [​IMG]
    It's tasty and very similar to the Rihaku "Wandering Poet" junmai ginjo. Fermented rice, light fruit flavors of mainy melon/cantaloupe with a semi-dry finish that doesn't linger too long. The aroma has a bit more sour/fermented rice than the flavor. At times the flavor is frutier and has some nice hints of pear and green apple. It's pairing perfectly with California rolls.

It's good but not exactly moreish for me yet. I'll finish the bottle over the next day or two as a pairing for other meals. I think it would go great with a salad, and it's going to be paired with my bad-ass turkey tacos later tonight whether it goes with them or not. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

Scrapss and Greywulfken like this.
  37. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Came back to Pure Dawn...
    [​IMG]
    Really nice - different than Pure Dusk, yes, but so clean and drinkable...

And later, something new...
    [​IMG]
    Hiro's "red bottle" junmai sake...

Had their "blue" version, a junmai ginjo sake; dug it... Opened the thread with it... :wink:

Here's what the box says...
    [​IMG]
    Super-nice... Smooth, light melon, tints of citrus, sweet ricey aftertaste...

Scrapss and Premo88 like this.
  38. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Currently...
    [​IMG]
    Black & Gold from Gekkeikan - it is not a specified type of sake, but their website description states, "...a unique blend of two sakes, carefully selected from Sake made with rice milled to 60% and 70 % by our sake master for a rich, complex sake...." - very affordable at Total Wine - $10 for the 750 mL bottle - simple and good - melon juice, watery tropical fruit syrup, sweet sticky rice...

By way of comparison, I had this yesterday...
    [​IMG]
    Water Lords from Eikun - a junmai ginjo shu, the 300 mL runs $17 - and clearly a more refined sake - I don't know what refinement tastes like, but comparatively speaking, this is it - lol - very crisp, clean and clear flavor, whereas the Black & Gold is more mulled together-tasting - if that makes any sense...

Anyways, both great drinks...

Kanpai!

Scrapss, Premo88 and Bigrock like this.
  39. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Really enjoyed this video on making sake...

Almost has a workplace training/propaganda feel to it...

Also, made me hungry for white rice...

Scrapss, PaulQuinn and Premo88 like this.
  40. Premo88

Society

Very cool video. For some reason I like the mix of tradition with modern clothes. And yes ... I'd like to pour some gumbo on that rice. :yum::stuck_out_tongue:

Greywulfken likes this.