What Scotch Are You Drinking Now?

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by Greywulfken, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,783) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

I love it, especially for the price. It's about $30 cheaper here in Texas.

It's been hard for me tell the difference between the 9 and the 16. Some of the whiskey tubers on YouTube say there's some difference, but for me it tastes virtually identical to the 16, sweet and smokey with nothing offputting or out of bounds. I don't want to overhype it, but I'd say if you like the 16, you should at least enjoy the 9 enough to find it worth the time and money.

I too was hesitant to buy any of the Game of Thrones releases, but from watching a lot of reviews online, it sounds like if you like a particular distillery, you'll like its GOT release -- and vice versa. Because of that, I plan on buying the Clynelish and Talisker GOT whiskys but skipping the rest.

2. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (368) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Went to Deanston and Glen Ord while in Scotland. Not a scotch guy, but certainly enjoyed what I had at both.

dcotom and Premo88 like this.
  3. Brauersven

Brauersven Initiate (31) Apr 25, 2018 Germany
    Trader

Yeah Laphroiag is the king of iodine peated scotch <3. Just try to pour one drop of L in another whiskey making it no longer be drinkable :grinning:

drunkenmess and Premo88 like this.
  4. Premo88

Society Trader

5. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (261) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

How much of a difference between their 10 and 12? I've only had the latter, and in the cases where a distillery offers both a 10 and 12, usually skip the other, unless there's some radical difference between ABV, cask type, etc.

Premo88 likes this.
  6. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Savant (965) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

A new one for me guys.

Been wanting to try it for awhile now.
    Glad I did. Good stuff. A really heavy smoked scotch. Testing the waters still. Been very partial to Speyside styles for soo long wanted to see whats out there. Really digging the peatier scotches but this ones a bit too much. Not just in the smoke department but a bit stronger flavor profile that I'm used to. Still interested in trying their An Oa. Sounds lovely.

Slainte!

GOBLIN, Squire, jkblr and 7 others like this.
  7. Premo88

Society Trader

Very little difference. Almost none.

I compared the 10, 12, 105 cask strength and 25 side-by-side about a month ago, and the 10, 12 and 105 had aroma and flavors so similar as to make them almost indistiguishable.

The 10 is 40% ABV and the 12 is 43%, but I couldn't tell any difference concerning ABV strength. If anything, the 10 seemed to open up and become a bit sweeter over time, but that was so slight and it could've been just a time-place thing with my palate that night.

If you're looking for something different than the 12, the 10 isn't it IMO. I'd save your money and buy a bottle of 105 -- it's similar, but at 60% ABV it is super powerful and possibly my favorite Glenfarclas so far (even better than the 25-year-old, which is fantastic but another $60-100 over the 105).

8. drunkenmess

Society Trader

A classic 12yr Glenfiddich to spice up the night.

Slainte!

Smooth and favourable

GOBLIN, Scrapss, Squire and 7 others like this.
  9. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,794) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I was going to quote your prior Glenfarclas post but this one went in the direction of answering my question. I’ve wanted to try this Scotch for some time and found the 17 for $105-$110. Have you had that one and if so, thoughts?

Also, I finally found a bottle of Deanston, but it was the 20 Year Oloroso and it was $150 (in NYC) and I’d really just like to try the 12 or one I found on their website in bourbon barrels.

Premo88 likes this.
  10. Premo88

Society Trader

Glenfarclas 17 at $105-110 is a good price. It ranges from $100-120 in my world.

And FWIW the 17 is next on my Glenfarclas list. I've not had it yet, but based on trying four other Glenfarclas presentations and watching several reviews on YouTube, the 17 should be awesome. I'm probably a few months away from buying that one, but I'll share notes on it when I do.

Deanston 12 is superb value. Sorry you can't find it. It's very bourbony but not bourbon, woody but not so woody you feel like you're biting into raw lumber. Very different from Glenfarclas. I think Deanston 12 is aged exclusively in ex-bourbon barrels, whereas everything Glenfarclas is all ex-sherry casks (I think).

Deanston Virgin Oak is supposedly very good for the price, too, but I can't speak to it from experience, just word on the street.

thesherrybomber and TheGent like this.
  11. TheGent

Society Trader

Thanks. I appreciate your feedback. I’ll report back when a decision is made. I’m pretty certain if I see the Deanston 12 I’ll buy it. Just need to look a little harder.

Premo88 likes this.
  12. Premo88

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    I'm not sure if I've posted this one in here yet. It's a wild ride for a newbie like me, but the complexity is intriguing. Over time I plan on trying everything I can find from Springbank.

Sláinte!

GOBLIN, Scrapss, TheGent and 8 others like this.
  13. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,154) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

A couple of decades back my tasting group went through the Glenfarclas expressions and decided we liked the 10 best. I don't recall the tasting notes but do remember we thought it had the best balance.

TheGent and Premo88 like this.
  14. Premo88

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Sláinte!

GOBLIN, Scrapss, dcotom and 6 others like this.
  15. TheGent

Society Trader

Why is the glass covered in some of your photos?

Greywulfken and Premo88 like this.
  16. TheGent

Society Trader

Cheers, people.

I think this whisky is a fine one. A teaspoon of water does it wonders. Orange, chocolate, grand mariner and nutty. If you are seeking a whisky with a prominent sherry influence this would not be the one for you. I don’t love the sherry treatment so much. I’m glad it’s not noticeable to me. I’m questioning if the 18 year version of this is worth it, seeing as how I enjoy this very much.

#56 TheGent, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    GOBLIN, Scrapss, dcotom and 8 others like this.
  17. Premo88

Society Trader

Those are poker chips doubling as glencairn lids from Aqvavitae and Scotch Test Dummies, two of my favorite whiskey tubers on YouTube.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I bought them mainly to support those guys, but they come in handy at tastings or when comparing multiple whiskys side by side.

Roy Duff of Aqvavitae calls them "challenge coins" with the idea being you challenge other whiskey tube fans at bars/pubs to produce a whiskey tube coin or buy a round if they don't have one. I'm not sure how often that actually happens, but you hear them referred to as "challenge coins" on the channels from time to time.

dcotom, TongoRad, Greywulfken and 2 others like this.
  18. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,333) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

It's a step up imho, but not a huge step up. I'm with you on this. Really liked the 18 year old in the past, but it's really difficult to justify the significant price increase to obtain it.

19. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,611) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I thought it was gonna be to keep flies out... lol

dcotom, Premo88 and TheGent like this.
  20. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

I thought it was the Ralfy tip to let a dram "rest" (something about the cap preserving aromas?)

21. TheGent

Society Trader

Hey, I bet it works for that too!

This was my guess, too.

22. drunkenmess

Society Trader

This is becomong one of my favorites

Highland Park
    Viking Honor
    12yr

Love how well balanced it is.
    Sweet spicey with a smokey finish.
    Soo good

Slainte!

GOBLIN, seakayak, dcotom and 4 others like this.
  23. Premo88

Society Trader

Whisky caps work for keeping out dirt, dust, rain, flies, locusts, moths and most other insects. :wink:

It does hold in the aromas, but the glencairn concentrates aromas so well that it's not like you have to have a lid to capture the true essence of a whisky. But the No. 1 function of them is to hold in the aroma, so when you take off the cap you get a full blast of whatever's in the glass.

Scrapss, TheGent, Squire and 3 others like this.
  24. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

[​IMG]

Not a sherry bomb, but still damn tasty

GOBLIN, Glider, Squire and 7 others like this.
  25. drunkenmess

Society Trader

A glass of this to end the night.

Last of the bottle.

GOBLIN, Glider, Squire and 6 others like this.
  26. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,128) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Good evening, all! I'm having a wee dram of The Glenlivet Founder's Reserve. I bought a gift box on markdown a while back, and this shooter was included with it.

[​IMG]

What's in YOUR Glencairn tonight?

GOBLIN, Glider, jkblr and 6 others like this.
  27. Scrapss

Scrapss Champion (842) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Sipping some JW Black now. Wishing the local had Double Black...

[​IMG]

I scored a 200ml bottle, it'll last quite some time for me.

It's been described as drinking liquid band-aids by some, but I love the Islay bite of Laph 10 none the less.

I gotta say, yes, and if you like this try the JW Double Black if you get the chance. Smokier, deeper and I prefer it to even Blue Label.

GOBLIN, TheGent, Greywulfken and 6 others like this.
  28. drunkenmess

Society Trader

Picked up a bottle a few days ago of JW Black. Really not that impressed to be honest. Had high expectations I guess...

Premo88 and Scrapss like this.
  29. Premo88

Society Trader

Would've posted this last night, but a big, bad thunderstorm knocked out my electricity :slight_frown::dizzy_face::
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully, BTU sorts out this electricity thing sooner rather than later. If not, I'll be posting on here tonight using a flashlight :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (assuming I still have juice in my phone and laptop :wink::crazy_face:).

Cheers, whisky fans!

GOBLIN, gatornation, dcotom and 6 others like this.
  30. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,154) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Touch of the Black tonight . . .

[​IMG]

31. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,128) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Good evening, all! Johnnie Blue, from this 200-ml bottle I picked up this evening. The price was too good to pass up. This was $40.99, which works out to $0.205/ml. By comparison, the 750 runs $0.333/ml and the 50 "shooter" comes in at a whopping $0.400/ml. This little exercise in rationalization has been fun. And expensive. Time for a dram. Slainte!

[​IMG]

Minnesota_beer_guy likes this.