What should I do with my cellared beer?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by stylinprofiylin, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stylinprofiylin

stylinprofiylin Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2010 California

So I've come to quite the dilemma. I recently found out that I have a terribly bad gluten allergy after a month of tests. When I drink beer I become nauseated and sick. I have never been a Heavy drinker, but i enjoyed a good mature stout every now and then.

I have been collecting and cellaring rare beers for the past 3/4 years (about 50 bottles). What the hell do I do with it all now? There is no way I can enjoy it because of all the side effects. It is really hard for me to part with it all. I have some real gems in there that I might have to part with (2010Parabola&abacus, Firestone anniversary 12-15, VerticalEpic 6/6/6-11/11/11, etc.).

Help Me, it makes me sad just looking at the stuff.

2. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,114) Mar 18, 2010 California

Give it away? I will be happy to take it off your hands. :wink:

3. strohme2

strohme2 Crusader (740) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Thats a really big bummer. Have a tasting party? Give it to friends? Trade for whisk(e)y, bourbon, ciders, etc? Donate to BA members who respond to your thread?

In all seriousness I'm really sorry about your gluten allergy.

4. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Meyvn (1,472) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

Excellent suggestion.

5. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Devotee (416) May 24, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Set up LIFs for your favorite charity!

6. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2012 Nevada
    Beer Trader

Go on the Paleo diet, reducing your glutens for everything BUT beer. That way you can indulge on occassion.

Worked for me.

Otherwise, trade away your beer for Tequila or Rum. And Don't look back.

ehammond1 and queens1130 like this.
  7. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Poo-Bah (3,106) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Trade them.

For money.

8. mikecharley

mikecharley Disciple (399) Nov 6, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

That seriously sucks. I feel very badly for you,

9. dhartogs

dhartogs Disciple (362) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

That sucks, sorry to hear. I assume you were recently finally diagnosed. Perhaps now you will be given the proper treatment, I know some people who have this problem, and everyone once in a while enjoy a beer after getting things under control. Hopefully you'll get things under control to the point where you can enjoy a quality brew every now and then. Good luck.

If you are looking to get rid of it, perhaps trade it for some stuff you can drink like wine, tequila or something that is gluten free.

10. tronto

tronto Initiate (84) Dec 22, 2010 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

you're going to be a wino.

11. ChanChan

ChanChan Devotee (469) Dec 12, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I agree trade them for money!!
    How much for the 2010 Parabola or the Firestone Vertical?

12. Onizilla

Onizilla Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Sell it for money for wine or donate the money to charity. (p.s. I'm all about the Firestone 12-14! Need it for the vertical.:wink:)

13. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 California

Just sell them for retail value.

14. 4kbrianb

4kbrianb Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 California

here is my thought that is a hybrid of some other posts in here.

host a tasting, where you charge an entrance fee, in which you donate part of it to chairty and you pocket a little because this is 'Merica.

If you do the above plan, I have a couple questions.

1) where in CA are you from?
    2) Can I come?
    3) will there be a raffle to win a bottle or two in which the ticket sales also get partially donated?

15. Mclaughlinpr

Mclaughlinpr Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2011 New Jersey

Wow, that sucks, a true BA's worst nightmare. Sorry to hear. I'd keep the best of the bunch (just in case you can enjoy one every once in a while) and trade/sell/tasting party/give away the rest of them. And then steer clear of your favorite beer store.
    Good luck

stylinprofiylin likes this.
  16. OddNotion

OddNotion Devotee (478) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Id say trade for bourbon if you can find an interested party. I am a little biased as bourbon is the only spirit I really like.

17. stylinprofiylin

Wow! thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! I have decided to hold on to some of the rare gems, for a day where it will be worth the pain, but will be parting ways with the bulk of my precious nectar. The hard part is figuring out how.

As a collector in CA, I have become very skilled in acquiring rare brews, but not very good at letting it go and "Trade them for money." If anyone has some "suggestions" please PM me.

Im going to post a list when i get home tomorrow.

Thanks you all for being helpful..... i am still sad.

P.S. I live In Simi Valley, CA and Work in LosAngeles/SantaMonica, CA

18. stylinprofiylin

I love bourbon too.... unfortunately thats on the list. Most high-end quality bourbon can contain 49% gluten from wheat, rye, or barley. :(

19. 4kbrianb

4kbrianb Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 California

definitely a bummer, but I think I would hold on to a few if I were in your position as well. Some of those (I am assuming) are too epic to let go of!

Please be sure to invite me to that garage sale. I will have dolla dolla bills in hand.

20. OddNotion

OddNotion Devotee (478) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Good point... I wasnt even thinking there :confused:

21. queens1130

queens1130 Initiate (109) Nov 21, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

what a horrible horrible thing to find out, gluten allergy...

save the gems for a special occasion for sure when the beer will hurt so good. other than that i'd take up the other posts in advice. good luck to you!

22. dhartogs

dhartogs Disciple (362) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

"I love bourbon too.... unfortunately thats on the list. Most high-end quality bourbon can contain 49% gluten from wheat, rye, or barley."

There are some high end anejo tequilas that drink like a good bourbons, and since its from the agave plant, not rye or Arlen, glutton free. All is not lost.

23. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2011 Colorado

24. Rizalini

Rizalini Zealot (537) Jan 20, 2011 Nevada
    Beer Trader

Sorry to hear about you sudden allergy to gluten. I feel for ya. As for the beers, if you'd like to make a couple extra buck you could always try to sell them. I know I for one would be interested.

25. oldp0rt

oldp0rt Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2011 Quebec (Canada)

Trade for some of the best gluten free beers?

If I got the bad news you got tomorrow, I think I would invite all my buddies that enjoy good beer and host a big tasting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.