What Statements Are Made In This Forum That Have You Scratching Your Head?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mcrago, May 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,761) May 12, 2005 Washington
    Society Trader

Just curious - what from Lost Abbey has been infected? Never heard of anything. Flat =/= infected

westcoastbeerlvr likes this.
  2. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2012 Michigan

They had some infection trouble with 2012 Deliverance and Angel's Share. I shouldn't have been so drastic with my statement. I apologize

3. AstronautMikeDexter

AstronautMikeDexter Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Indiana
    Deactivated

See, that has me scratching my head.

No way I'm choking down a beer I hate. Not wasting the time or the calories.

4. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (472) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

The ones that have me scratching are the ones that someone asks for a recommendaton and half the resposes are naming the most rare, locally distriubuted beers possible, from other ends of the country.
    Like someone wanting a decent beer for a BBQ or wedding in Fargo, and someone recommends Allagash's Coolship, Hill Farmstead and Heady Topper, and for a change of pace, Abyss. LOOK AT THE OP's LOCATION, FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (670) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

For people visiting Boston that ask for recommendations in the city, ones that constantly recommend "must visits" to the "New England Beer Holy Trinity": Hill Farmstead Brewery (200 miles away), Ebenezers Pub (150 miles) and Julio's Liquor Store (33 miles).

s_wit, 5thOhio, JrGtr and 2 others like this.
  6. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Yes, literally pouring a beer down the kitchen sink drain. I do it frequently.

7. teal

teal Initiate (82) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

People who derive some sort of moral superiority by their drinking habits/styles/preferred type of beer.

Drain pour or not - DILLIGAF? I didn't pay for it, what right do I have to criticize someone else for what they do with it?

vicsju1991 and Janeinma like this.
  8. Ericness

Ericness Devotee (415) Nov 21, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society

I had this lesson brought home with my second batch of home brew. :grimacing:

9. dsal89

dsal89 Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2008 Indiana

Unless youre FFF

10. DrinkSlurm

DrinkSlurm Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2007 New York

lately, the bashing Fantome threads have me wondering if im on another planet...

evilcatfish likes this.
  11. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (619) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Like Fantome, I'm kind of the same way with Dark Lord. It gets so much praise then all of a sudden it "sucks." Almost like people are just wanting to go against the trends as if to be individual

Rutager and DrinkSlurm like this.
  12. DrinkSlurm

DrinkSlurm Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2007 New York

call me tony hawk cuse im "on board"...( this laptop should really have a breathalyzer) im all about going "against the grain" with just about everything - but when a brew is good, damn it just f'ing enjoy it! Ive never had DL but if its anything like Fantome, I find myself wanting one all the time...I hear ya!

Rutager likes this.
  13. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2006 Alabama

I am totally stealing "conspiracy beerists" :slight_smile:

kemoarps likes this.
  14. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2006 Alabama

I can recognise intellectually that "such and such is a good example of a lager" while being completely underwhelmed by the style. Lagers and pilsners just don't do it for me, just like the AAL style is offensive to my palate. Shocker, different people like different things :wink:

anticipation23 and kemoarps like this.
  15. Thads324

Thads324 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Connecticut

Bam, you nailed it. Way too many people take spoiled/old beer as infected. If you are drinking a low hopped beer that's a year old and been sitting around at room temp, it's spoiled, not infected. People on this site and others throw out infected way too often just because a beer tastes off. There are many factors that affect beer after it leaves the brewery.
    As for actual infections OP, breweries aren't knowingly putting out infected stuff. It happens slowly and worsens overtime. And yes, barrel aging will increase the risk.

As for the original question, I scratch my head at the "what are you drinking now" threads. STFU, no one cares. Write a thoughtful review of the beer you're drinking now and it will come up on the recents. Then people can read it and make good decisions when deciding to spend money on it or not.

herrburgess likes this.
  16. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Poo-Bah (3,922) Oct 19, 2010 California
    Society Trader

Well, Angel's Share Grand Cru was infected, which was a tragedy, becUse that beer was amazing before it turned. So was Churchill's Finest Hour 2011. That's all i can think of off the top of my head.

17. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

Me: I didn't llike Beer XXX
    Response: You didn't have it fresh.

Rutager and teal like this.
  18. chimneyjim

chimneyjim Initiate (73) Jun 23, 2004 Oregon

scratching my head:
    Grand Rapids is Beer City USA

westcoastbeerlvr and evilcatfish like this.
  19. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

Yeah, that's a head-scratcher for me too. I've only drain-poured a few beers in my life (less than 5, total)--these were obviously infected. If it's something I really don't like, I save it/give it away for others to try.

Or the best use for brews that I think are terrible is to use them for cooking! I am of the opinion that the quality of a beer has little to do with its usefulness in cooking with it. To me, cooking with a high-quality beer is just a waste...the subtleties that set it apart from poorer beers are lost when it gets cooked with.

Do people on BA really "drain pour" the amount of beer that is claimed...or has the phrase "drain pour" just become a synonym for "terrible?"

kemoarps and mtalley999 like this.
  20. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2008 Ohio

Do you really pick up that many beers so undrinkable that you are "frequently" pouring them out? Don't get me wrong, I've done the same, but maybe a hand full in the past 7 years. Either you're doing it wrong or only world class beers seem worthy of you.

kemoarps, Tballz420 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  21. udubdawg

udubdawg Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2006 Kansas

I make way more beer than I can drink and more than I can give away. I drink about 20%, give away about 50-60%, and the rest gets dumped down the sink when it gets old or if I've got a lot better version ready. I give away a much smaller portion of new commercial beers, but still dump a fair share.

Alcohol abuse? Doing it wrong? Whatever. It's my beer.

22. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (472) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

At least Julio's is fairly reasonable if the visitor has a car, or is driving in or out. It's not far off the Mass Pike, that almost everyone heading west takes. The others, though, yeah... that one does make me laugh.

23. RacerX5k

RacerX5k Devotee (473) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Most. Including my own.

24. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

25. dar482

dar482 Poo-Bah (3,917) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Society

You need to learn to buy better beer then. Or at least beer that suits your tastes.

kemoarps likes this.
  26. HighWine

HighWine Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

"That 90 day old IPA is going to be a malty mess."

s_wit, JrGtr and LMT like this.
  27. Tballz420

Tballz420 Meyvn (1,114) Mar 4, 2003 Minnesota

I only ever spot 2 of the roughly 250 people that were active on here 10 years ago (the bros excluded, obviously). Not sure where the rest went, but I can attest that nobody was complaining about first world problems or whalez bro back then

rab53 likes this.
  28. VDODSON

VDODSON Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 North Dakota

Exactly, if you don't like then get rid of it. This isn't 1958 and your mom isn't making you finish your liver, and not letting you have dessert anymore. Its just beer, people need to lighten up.

Ericness likes this.
  29. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

If I try a beer and it's not something I want to finish, why force it down and consume extra calories? I would rather pour half of it out and move on to something else.

Rutager likes this.
  30. mjtiernan

mjtiernan Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2008 New York

The Rabid Duck was nasty. I wouldn't even cook with it.

31. mjtiernan

mjtiernan Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2008 New York

Bubblegum isn't considered an off-flavor in hefeweizens.

32. Quantum_Dong

Quantum_Dong Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2013 Wisconsin

Anything "aged in bourbon barrels." Screw it, anything aged in any liquor barrels period. Do you want something aged in bourbon barrels? Go drink effin' bourbon.

5thOhio and hopfenunmaltz like this.
  33. Quantum_Dong

Quantum_Dong Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2013 Wisconsin

Most people can't distinguish unique qualities in different hops. I'm guessing 70 percent of the people who say they can are lying.

34. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (304) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

I actually enjoy the WAYD threads quite a bit. Reviews don't have the visuals that thread gives off. Nice to see some poured beers.

Lurkerson and kemoarps like this.
  35. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,797) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Not in the forums, but in the beer reviews:

1) Negative reviews of beers that state that they were consumed way past their prime. That's very fair of you.
    2) ESBs rated poorly because they weren't "extra strong or bitter" even if they perfectly fit the style guidelines.

Docrock, TongoRad, YogiBeer and 2 others like this.
  36. EdH

EdH Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2005 Utah

Fair enough :slight_smile: But, I've had some craft beers fermented with Lager yeasts that I thought had more in common with Amber Ales, Porters, or IPAs than they did with macro adjunct Lagers.

JrGtr likes this.
  37. MadDogMD

MadDogMD Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2013 Arizona

"2 week old Heady is great, but 6 week old is amazing!!!"

Seriously, shut up. Just... shut up. Your palate is not that refined.

38. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Initiate (0) May 10, 2012 Illinois

Ohmagawd this. PLEASE STOP USING SUGGESTIONS TO HUMBLEBRAG YOU CREEPY VERMONT F?CKS.

"I like zd, but don't have it regularly avail in south dakota. Any suggestions?" "Hill Farmstead Juicy, for sure." AARRRGGGHHH

5thOhio, JrGtr, LMT and 1 other person like this.
  39. dar482

dar482 Poo-Bah (3,917) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Society

Absolutely sure, but I hope you use your money with some mind of what you know, like, and enjoy or at least attempt to find something amazing.

Imagine someone has never tried a wheat ale. I wouldn't imagine them getting Blue Moon, instead of... Weihenstephaner, Allagash White, or even Hoegarrden. Even then, I don't imagine pouring down Blue Moon down the drain if I paid for it.

I would at least offer it to friends to finish. Unless a beer is skunked or something, I wouldn't just pour it out. My friends don't really care for sours or barleywines. However, if they bought an Oude Geueze Tilquin or Bigfoot (highly rated, reasonably priced for the style), I would be offended if they just poured it out.

Maybe it's just me, but I have yet to not like a highly rated beer of any style. Maybe that's just my palate. I really like to enjoy all styles.

40. atomic

atomic Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 Illinois

If you've been drinking as long as you have, you probably have tasted some infection and never even realized.
    I had a crash course this year in infected beers with Peruvian Morning. Or should I say Tartside of the Morning.

Docrock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.