What temperature do you store you beers at?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by BeerGlassesCollector, Jan 17, 2018.

1. BeerGlassesCollector

BeerGlassesCollector Devotee (490) Nov 11, 2002 Cyprus
    Trader

I’ve been thinking about this for a while now and I’m sure it’s been discussed before but I’m gonna go ahead and ask anyway...

So as the title says, what temperature do you cellar your beer at?

I have quite a few beers which qualify for ageing and they mention store and serve around 55 degrees. Others have a range between 46-57 degrees on them. If you store at 55 degrees, the minute you serve it, especially after the first few touches of the glass the beer starts to warm up so you can’t store and serve at 55 (as some bottles mention on them). Tried it, just too “warm” for me.

I usually find cellaring at 43 degrees is ideal for most beers. This way, I get to enjoy the different aromas and flavors as it warms up after the first few sips, but still maintains a nice chilled feel throughout the session.

Any thoughts?

Junior likes this.
  2. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (508) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Trader

I alway have kept and keep my remaining cellar at cooler temperatures but allowing them to fluctuate with the northern, cooler seasons. That said anywhere in that temperature range you state is good for storing, for serving I always chill in the fridge for a few (1-2 hours) before opening, as the beer will only warm from there— I know bottles say to serve at X temperature, but they also have suggested food pairings that I also ignore without any negative impact to my beer enjoyment.

3. Jayk231

Jayk231 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2017 Michigan

I agree, I think cellaring and serving are 2 dif temps on a lot of beers for me. I would slightly chill a cellared beer from the 50 degree range to enjoy it. Usually these heavier beers take longer for me to consume, so they tend to warm right up to near room temp before I'm through with it. But as the temps raise, there can absolutely be a change in the flavor that comes forward. For me, just off recent memory, CBS is one that gets better with a slight warming period.

4. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (412) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

I store everything at 45°F year round.

Barrel aged stouts make up 80% of my cellar. I like them aging slower when most of them aren't getting better with age.

5. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Aspirant (244) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

My basement tends to be 58-60° year round and I store my beers at that temperature range. I tend to agree with British serving temps for most of my homebrews, since over chilling does certainly dull the tastebuds: frankly (in my opinion) most beers lose much of their character if they are served any colder than that (especially Barleywines).
    Lagerbier is acceptable to me at 50°. But not ales/porters/stouts....they lose all complexity at higher temperatures (especially if they are over-carbonated, like the vast majority of commercial beers are...including so called 'craft' beers). I do have two refrigerators at my disposal to use during the hottest days of summer...the thermostats in them are set at 45°.
    It seems that most American palates like their brew in the low 30's-40's. My local pub knows to never put my beers in a chilled (or frozen) glass. I like the taste of beer too much to subject it to that kind of punishment. Most of the bartenders know that, and they will even run the bottles under hot water for a few seconds to bring the beer to me at a more civilized temperature.

BJC likes this.
  6. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (365) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I keep mine in my basement. I just recently got a thermometer for down there. OVer the past month or so, it's ranged from 46 to 56, usually in the low 50s. Don't know what'll happen come summer, I think it'll stay in the 50s, probably higher end of the 50s though.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  7. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Meyvn (1,382) Jul 10, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

You just need to refrigerate it long enough for the mountains on the can to turn blue. I thought everyone knew that.

barowe, Erik-P, johnyb and 6 others like this.
  8. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,020) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

All my stouts and sours which I’m holding on to for any duration, whether 1 day, 1 year or more (my oldest and longest cellared beer is actually from May ‘17 because I don’t like holding on to beers for too long these days) ... are stored in a temperature and humidity controlled chest set to 51F and 40% humidity.

#8 eppie82, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  9. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (85) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois

55 and I prefer drinking just about everything cellarable straight out of the cellar fridge at 55 as well. If you prefer it colder, just pop it in the fridge for a few minutes before you drink it.

Mikexw likes this.
  10. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (1,762) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Premium

52 - 55 in the basement,
    Saisons and stouts do very well
    Cheers

11. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Devotee (424) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

Around 55 because my fridge doesn't have a specific temperature gauge to set so I fiddled with it to set it around there per a thermometer I store inside.

12. BigIslandfarmer

BigIslandfarmer Aspirant (241) Sep 30, 2016 Minnesota

My temp controller is set at 52°, so a little warmer then that for the beer at the top of the chest freezer & a little colder for those at the bottom.

Cheers!

13. Dakiman

Dakiman Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2015 Minnesota

If I take a beer out of my fridge and put it in my cellar what effects, if any, will there be?

14. youradhere

Trader

If you have to ask, then it is too much for you to handle :wink:

15. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (85) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois

Depends on who you ask. I've never noticed any difference when moving beer from fridge temp when I bought it to room temp for a few weeks til I made room in my cellar/fridge, after which I stored it at cellar temp for a few years. Some people swear temperature changes affect the beer, but I heard a brewer say that's a myth and in my own experience I'd say the same. It's long term storage at different temps that affect the beer differently, unless we're talking extreme temperatures.

16. Dakiman

Dakiman Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2015 Minnesota

Thanks for the info, it was much more helpful than the response above

17. youradhere

Trader

Oh come on that was a joke.

This topic has shown up in this cellaring forum with the same conversation- “temperature affecting beer? Colder is better. No, your [sic] an idiot, it needs to be warm! BCBS and KBS are the BEST BEERZ! I have a cellar and I keep all of my beer at 42.5* in individual ziploc baggies. Your [sic] an idiot, it needs to be 5.8* Celsius according to Cantillon. Corks! Always age colder laying on side and warmer upright!”.... ad nauseum.

For someone like me who’s been on this site for way too long, it gets almost predictable the cycles of the same question being asked with the same responses. Sorry, must be cranky or something, time for my am hamster wheel workout.

18. CoreyC

CoreyC Initiate (185) Mar 16, 2015 Wisconsin

55. Great for aging and the low end of temp I like for drinking, so it warms from there as I drink it.