What the Funk!? Invitational Beer Festival to Return for GABF 2015

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by Todd, Jul 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cfh64

cfh64 Champion (814) Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Society Trader

What a tease! I'm sure there wil be great beers, not the slightest bit worried but looking at that list and not knowing what they're pouring is like when I was 5 years old staring a wrapped present under the tree for a week.

2. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (473) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

So... I'm not in to sours so I'm not going, but my girlfriend really digs them and is going to be attending. Other than the obvious ones (Cantillon, Casey B&B), what other breweries should I send her towards???

3. Dan_Inreallife

Dan_Inreallife Devotee (477) Jan 22, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I know WtF! gets a lot of attention for the sours and wilds featured, but let's not forget the actual attendace stipulation is Barrel Aged ... we already know Evil Twin is pouring stouts and several big names on the list are KNOWN for their stouts or barleywines or beers other than sours. Don't sell it short!

Anyway, I can vouch for AZ Wilderness having spent a LOT of my summer living ten minutes down the road from them and of course SP/Allagash/Cascade/etc etc etc

dson08 and Kramerbarthomer like this.
  4. cfh64

Society Trader

Depending on what they're pouring...Cascade for sure, AC Golden, Almanac, Crooked Stave, Drie Fonteinen, Jester King, Jolly Pumpkin, Tilquin and Lost Abbey.

It depends on how much "sour" she likes and I'm sure there's others I'm not familiar with. Drie Fonteinen and Tilquin produce highly regarded lambics so if she likes Cantillon she should try those as well. Cascade is "American" sour, heavy, heavy sour...I love 'em. AC is Coors little side project, they put out some decent sours. Almanac, Crooked Stave, Jester King, Jolly Pumpkin, and Lost Abbey are decent bets, but again, depends on what they're pouring.

5. cfh64

Society Trader

Not to nit pick, but technically a lot of sours are barrel aged :wink: You're right though, hopefully there will be a nice balance of stouts, barleywines, sours and saisons, pallate fatigue sets in quickly drinking just one of any of those styles.

6. Dan_Inreallife

Dan_Inreallife Devotee (477) Jan 22, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Not nitpicking, just not sure how it applies to my post. Of course this is the case, hence their inclusion at WtF. My point was the the criteria to be poured was that the beer is BA, meaning that there are a plethora of options outside of wilds/sours. Most people seem to be forgetting this... the post I quoted from @ManBearPat for instance - "I'm not in to sours so I'm not going"

BrettHead likes this.
  7. cfh64

Society Trader

Gotchya. Case of misinterpretation. Carry on :slight_smile:

8. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,379) May 12, 2005 District of Columbia
    Trader

Definitely a fantastic list. As a VIP holder, will try and knock out some of the uber-hyped walezbro first and then make it back around to the shorter lines, if there is such a thing.

mgr78704 likes this.
  9. kbenson

kbenson Initiate (118) Aug 15, 2012 Texas

If I recall from last year, there were a fair number of "surprise" breweries who showed up on the final list that weren't on the list posted before the event. I'm hoping that's the case this year, as I would really like to see Rare Barrel show up to the event again. Absolutely love their beers.

Also, while most breweries will have their own tables, last year all of the imports shared just a few tables that were "staffed" by the importer/distributor. Those breweries and beers were not poured all night, but were on set schedule of 4-8 beers every hour or so. I generally avoided this area as the lines got crazy when a Cantillon beer was being poured. (But when a Cantillon beer wasn't being poured, you usually could walk right up and try a lot of "old world" sours.)

10. Cotchept

Cotchept Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2013 Colorado

Excited to volunteer this year. Hopefully I'm not too drunk by the time I have to pour beers at the GA session. I want to hit up Hops & Pie before WTF too. Going to be a looooooong day.

JakeT469 likes this.
  11. cfh64

Society Trader

Ditto. It looks like there will be quite a few familiar faces at both that day. It's going to be a gut check for sure. Eh, I guess the entire week is no different, time to put the big boy panties on.

DenverBeerDrinker likes this.
  12. DonSaleen747

DonSaleen747 Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2009 Connecticut

I ended up with one extra general admin ticket so if anyone needs one let me know. I know you can buy from the website but if you could help me out I can work with you on price!

With that said I can't wait, I get out to Denver tomorrow morning so should be a good week

13. Jshari223

Jshari223 Initiate (199) Nov 13, 2013 Georgia
    Trader

Does anyone know if they allow backpacks or hydration packs at WTF?

14. cfh64

Society Trader

Hydration? That's what the beer is for, just don't stop drinking and you'll be fine.

JakeT469, purplewindex and Jshari223 like this.
  15. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (473) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Thanks for the recommendations. She really is going for the sours, but is now excited about the other BA beers.

cfh64 likes this.
  16. dson08

dson08 Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2014 Arizona

I remember there being plenty of water around so no need to bring your own.

17. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,557) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Please don't bring backpacks :confused: They just take up space in crowds.

ManBearPat and ssteigerwald like this.
  18. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,632) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

At the last one they didn't allow outside water water bottles...yet they were happily charging $3 for bottles inside. That was the only real negative of the event IMO.

19. kbenson

kbenson Initiate (118) Aug 15, 2012 Texas

I remember water being in limited supply at least at first. They only really got it figured out about halfway through the event last year if I recall correctly....

20. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,619) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

I would think their would be some requirement that free water (i.e. a water fountain, a container filled with tap water, etc) be provided at any event that serves beer. Shocked that the city/state wouldn't institute such a safety/health measure.

ManBearPat likes this.
  21. Domingo

Society

It's at a different venue this time, so maybe that had some role in it?

22. JakeT469

JakeT469 Aspirant (277) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

I'm in the same boat as you my friend. Plan on hitting up Hops and Pie at 11:30 before heading over to volunteer. Maybe we could stumble in to WTF together :wink:. Either way, I'm very excited for tomorrow.

#142 JakeT469, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    Cotchept and cfh64 like this.
  23. Mebuzzard

Trader

Free Masons don't drink water! :grimacing:

purplewindex, PDawson and cfh64 like this.
  24. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Aspirant (269) Apr 5, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

CCB announced the beers they'll be pouring:

-Rum Barrel-aged Da Un Beso a la Botella Tropical-style Imperial Export Stout
    -Blackberry Grove American Sour Ale

Penguin3200, cfh64 and Prospero like this.
  25. angelmonster

angelmonster Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2008 Colorado

I'll be volunteering wtf too if anyone wants to split an uber from hops and pie

26. JakeT469

JakeT469 Aspirant (277) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

I might be down for that. I got the email this morning for the volunteer assignments and I didn't get early set up like I was hoping for. I don't have to be at WTF until 430. I may or may not just take the bus or walk since I'll have plenty of time to get there. I'll be wearing a blue Chicago Cubs hat and a black Harms Way tshirt. Come find me at Hops and Pie and we can discuss further.

27. angelmonster

sounds good, I probably won't make it to hops and pie till round two. Ill be the tattooed mexican with a white kids like us shirt

28. buttesnake

buttesnake Initiate (86) Sep 25, 2013 Colorado

Start hydrating now.

cfh64 likes this.
  29. Cotchept

Cotchept Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2013 Colorado

Hops & Pie is only like a mile from where WTF will be. I'll probably just walk.

30. angelmonster

cool, i knew it was close but wasn't sure the exact distance

31. Mebuzzard

Trader

Water fountain available. Set up is both outside *north* and inside. AC Inside.

32. PDawson

PDawson Initiate (96) Mar 27, 2013 Italy

Is this a clue to a treasure map?

33. Mebuzzard

Trader

Entrance on south side.

34. NVbeer

NVbeer Aspirant (206) Oct 3, 2002 Nevada

Should have asked earlier..Is there food available for purchase inside?

35. Trythevealchild

Trythevealchild Initiate (106) Jun 2, 2014 Virginia

There are food trucks by the outside tent.

NVbeer likes this.
  36. buttesnake

buttesnake Initiate (86) Sep 25, 2013 Colorado

It's 535 and they still havent let the vips in.

FarmerTed likes this.
  37. sean_mpls

sean_mpls Initiate (79) Sep 11, 2012 Minnesota

This is a mess.

FarmerTed and Jason like this.
  38. MighHighBrewer

MighHighBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2013 Colorado

Which part?

FarmerTed likes this.
  39. sean_mpls

sean_mpls Initiate (79) Sep 11, 2012 Minnesota

The amount of people.

FarmerTed and Jason like this.
  40. Domingo

Society

This is such a mess. They oversold this venue by 3x.

FarmerTed, Prospero, Jason and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.