What to be on the lookout for in SC?

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by ET678, Mar 18, 2013.

1. ET678

ET678 Mar 10, 2013 Florida

The wife is going to Columbia in a couple weeks. Just wondering whats good out there and easy to get. I checked seekabrew but not much that Florida doesnt have.

Cheers!

2. Skrip

Skrip Oct 7, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

definitely some Westbrook

raverjames and ET678 like this.
  3. fobpeluso

fobpeluso Sep 2, 2012 South Carolina

This. And coast bombers. And a riverdog growler.

ET678 likes this.
  4. nickmcc

nickmcc Dec 12, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Not sure what they'll have on tap at that point, but definitely grab a growler of whatever Conquest has out. Their stuff is damn good and only getting better. You can usually find them on the growler stations at Green's on Piney Grove or Morganelli's in Forest Acres.

ET678 likes this.
  5. charlottemoeron

charlottemoeron Feb 22, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Coast Milk Stout Bomber. Westbrook IPA as well. Both are solid beers!

ET678 likes this.
  6. Circleo12

Circleo12 Nov 12, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Westbrook, as others said.
    Conquest is doing some real good things
    Riverdog, one I still want to try, I've heard good things about

ET678 likes this.
  7. ET678

Awesome, thanks for tips!

8. chefkevlar

chefkevlar Apr 17, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Shane's Big DIPA bottles from Westbrook should start popping up around the state this week. I've not had it yet but everything I've heard has been very positive. Might want to try to have her grab one.

9. ET678

Will do, cheers!

10. Skrip

Skrip Oct 7, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

glad to hear that, i'll definitely be getting a bottle

ET678 likes this.
  11. rbradley

rbradley May 11, 2011 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Highly recommended for hopheads. Super easy to drink (dangerously) with a nice big hop bite upfront that lingers throughout...could have used just a touch more in the aroma (or that could also be all this fucking pollen...LOL). Shane's Stone influences are easily distinguished as the similarities between this and Enjoy By (or Ruination Anniversary) were very noticeable to me.

raverjames likes this.
  12. ET678

Sounds amazing!

13. 5thOhio

5thOhio May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Coast and Westbrook are definitely good breweries, but are their beers available in Columbia?

And having tried to travel long distances with growlers, I wouldn't recommend it. Too much shaking; even with a tight & sealed cap, there is a noticeable loss of carbonation.

14. raverjames

raverjames Dec 11, 2003 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Westbrook should be available in Columbia. I am not sure about Coast, as every batch is quite limited. I have never had any issues with growlers. The metal caps seal very well. I am guessing any loss of carbonation happened during filling. If I can ship and receive growlers with little to no noticeable quality differences, I don't think there should be any issue taking them by car.

rbradley and ET678 like this.
  15. ET678

She's flying, I think they'll be okay.

16. raverjames

Beer Trader

I have flown with growlers. Make sure to pack plenty of clothes around them and you will be fine.

ET678 likes this.
  17. nickmcc

Beer Trader

Westbrook is all over Columbia. You can find plenty of bottles in any of the major beer stores across town. There are usually one or two Coast brews (in bombers) at the Green's on Piney Grove, but they're much more limited than Westbrook.

ET678 likes this.
  18. zac16125

zac16125 Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Im pretty sure COAST has never made a bad beer. Seriously, seems like everything they brew is top notch. Westbrook is more hit or miss with many of their seasonals, but I know their IPA makes it to Columbia and its fantastic.

ET678 likes this.
  19. zac16125

zac16125 Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Also, if Foothills Bbl Aged Peoples Porter is still around Id grab it up. Really good beer.

Skrip likes this.
  20. ET678

Thanks!

21. wolfeman007

wolfeman007 Aug 26, 2007 North Carolina

I just grabbed a growler and 22 of Shane's IIPA and some other Westbrook goodies from GrapeVine in Ft Mill. I suspect it will turn out to be worth the traffic fun to and from CLT..

22. ET678

Sounds good!

23. marine1975

marine1975 Apr 27, 2009 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I may need to try this IPA!! It seems to be calling my name!

24. wolfeman007

wolfeman007 Aug 26, 2007 North Carolina

Its really really good. Right up there with enjoy by, sucks, hopslam. I might get lost and head back to ft mill tomorrow :)

25. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

NO matter what anyone says, do not do not do not get Westbrook Gratzer.

26. ET678

haha okay

27. nickmcc

Beer Trader

Gratzer is a great beer in my opinion, but not a style I think would appeal to most people. I love smoked beers so I think it's damn solid. And at just 3.4%, I could drink gallons of the stuff.

28. nickmcc

Beer Trader

If you like smoked beers, go for it. If you don't, don't. It's that simple.

ET678 likes this.
  29. raverjames

Beer Trader

Not everyone can appreciate traditional styles.

30. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Someone brought one for me to try. I felt like it was almost too hoppy and not smoked enough. I love smoked beers, and it just didnt have enough. Oddly, Mystery Brewing made a Gratzer (it was 2.8% mind you) and it was much better. More smokey and flavorful. Westbrook was kind of watery, even at 3.4%.

31. raverjames

Beer Trader

It tastes like the gratzer I had in Grrmany, and I do like it. Many like it. There is no reason for you to tell someone they shouldn't try it, just because it doesn't appeal to you.

ET678 likes this.
  32. SwillBilly

SwillBilly Feb 4, 2004 Virginia

Heading down to Myrtle tomorrow, can I find Westbrook down there.. Also, would love to try the Gratzer as I brewed one a couple weeks back and have it on tap now.. Would like to compare.

33. raverjames

Beer Trader

I am sure MB pig has Westbrook.

34. SwillBilly

SwillBilly Feb 4, 2004 Virginia

The pig is on my places to hit, thanks for the tip.

35. JISurfer

JISurfer Dec 10, 2002 Hawaii
    Beer Trader

I concur about Shane's Big DIPA. Had it at the brewery, it's got a nice hop profile, very fresh. One of my favorite DIPAs right now.

36. nickmcc

Beer Trader

Agreed. Too often now, people replace "I didn't like X" with "I hated X so don't try it."

ET678 likes this.
  37. ET678

She couldnt find any COAST but I did get (all from Westbrook) a 6er of IPA, a Vanilla Dubbel, and a Cap'n Skoons Ballistic stout. The IPAs are KILLER!! My all time fave beer is Hopslam and that was right up there with them. Thanks for tips guys!

38. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I haven't seen it around lately, not at Foothills or in Greensboro, maybe some out of the way place may have some. If you can find a better BA Porter for the price ill kiss your ass, Foothills hit a Hr with this one. Their BA Stout is out now on tap and to be honest I can't tell the difference between the Stout and Porter, looks the same, tastes the same..

39. papaholmz

papaholmz Nov 7, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Cap'n Skoon's Balistic Stout is one of my favs by Westbrook; I can't even begin to count how many bombers of that stuff I've polished off.

SwillBilly likes this.
  40. ET678

Awesome. Cant wait to try it!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe