What to buy at a liquor store in Cincinnati.

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by jpjayp, Mar 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpjayp

jpjayp Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2013 Illinois

I'm heading to Cincinnati in a few weeks and am planning on bringing back some beer. I'll stop at the Rhinegeist, Tafts, and Madtree taprooms but I was wondering what else, maybe from Ohio or nearby, that I should be on the lookout for.
    I read something about Rockmill and that sounds interesting and even though it's not from the area, I read Crooked Stave might distribute there (they don't back home in Chicago). Other than Great Lakes and Hoppin' Frong, not a lot of Ohio stuff makes it to Chicago.
    My plan is to hit up Party Source and Jungle Jims if I have time.
    Any suggestions would be great

2. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,725) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA is my first thought. Other styles from Fat Head's is also good. If you like Belgian styles and can find some Rockmill stuff (I can't verify that it is available in Cincy), it will be very good. It's a bit pricey though.

Seekabrew.com does not indicate that Crooked Stave is available in Ohio.

jpjayp likes this.
  3. vrbulldog22

vrbulldog22 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2010 Ohio

crooked stave is new here.
    Jackie O's makes great stuff - not sure which you'll find on shelves at those locations, Columbus Bodhi might be around in 4 packs..

jpjayp likes this.
  4. Hoos78

Hoos78 Disciple (305) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Jackie O's for sure. Most of their regular cans are pretty good, but nearly all of their more limited single bottles are excellent and pretty easy to come by. I think there is still plenty of their bourbon barrel Dark Apparition floating around.

Also, look for anything by Urban Artifact. They just recently started selling in retail establishments. Good stuff...primarily wild ales.

jpjayp and TheodorHerzl like this.
  5. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2007 Indiana

I love Urban Artifact too. When I'm in Cincy making a Jungle Jim's run I also tend to grab a sixer of White Raja IPA from the Brew Kettle.

I enjoy going to Rhinegeist. If you want some good food close to there I'm a fan of a place called A Taste of Belgium. They are about a mile apart from each other.

jpjayp likes this.
  6. jpjayp

Awesome! Never heard of either of those so I'll be sure to be on the lookout. Thanks!

7. jpjayp

Is White Raja relatively easy to find? I know it won the Paste Magazine IPA taste off a few years back but other than that, I know nothing about Brew Kettle.

Hoos78 likes this.
  8. beerwolf72

beerwolf72 Disciple (300) Aug 12, 2006 Ohio
    Trader

White Rajah is fairly easy to find, so much so that folks forget how good it is. Triple Digit and Listerman (similar but different breweries) are also good - especially Chickow and Cranium - which just came out and might still be around. Woodburn Brewery is making good stuff and if you're feeling adventurous, Cappy's in Loveland is one of the better bottle shops in the area.

jpjayp and capnmike like this.
  9. Hoos78

Hoos78 Disciple (305) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Yes, very easy to find...you can find it at many Walgreens and Krogers as well as liquor/beer stores. The only issue w/ White Rajah is the lack of a bottle date. I've been told by shop owners that they sell through it so consistently that freshness isn't a big issue. Without a date you can never be sure though.

White Rajah is really good, but I MUCH prefer Fatheads HeadHunter. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better every day IPA anywhere...even when compared to what's available in Chicago. They have an easy to read bottle date too. I should have mentioned Fatheads in my previous post...they are consistently great.

jpjayp likes this.
  10. jdoncbus

jdoncbus Disciple (374) Jun 17, 2006 Ohio

You can't go wrong with White Rajah (yes, pretty easy to find) but as others have said, Head Hunter and CBC Bodhi are hard to beat. If you run into Hop Juju, jump on it.

jpjayp likes this.
  11. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Meyvn (1,271) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Everything thirsty dog. Especially wulver, ba Siberian night, and their lagers.

jpjayp likes this.
  12. given2flybrewing

given2flybrewing Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2008 Missouri

jpjayp likes this.
  13. capnmike

capnmike Aspirant (213) Dec 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I was just in Cincy a few weeks ago - hit Jungle Jim's and Cappy's (can't recommend either place enough - however, Jungle Jim's is ridiculously huge and is a grocery/every store thing - while Cappy's is a small but amazing liquor store only. Both places have drafts you can sample or enjoy while shopping).

What I bought:
    - Hop Juju
    - Jackie O's BA Dark Apparition and BA Vanilla/Coffee Dark Apparition
    - Off-Color Papillon (got 2 at the OC release here, limit 2 at the brewery for 1 day - leftovers sent out of state)

What I passed on, but considered:
    - Jackie O's cans, Berliner, Paw Paw wheat
    - Tilquin OG
    - Bouket farmhouse
    - IPAs: White Raja, Ithaca Flower Power, Long Trail Limbo, Head Hunter/Trail Head, Rheingeist IPAs and other cans
    - Sunday Morning Stout
    - Troeg's (Nugget Nectar bottles, Troegenator cans)
    - Crooked Stave
    - Trinity (Red Swingline and others)
    - meads of all kind - Schram's, Drake, Breakfast Magpie, etc.

Probably forgetting a few, because I easily could've spent triple what I did, but I was mostly interested in getting small-format Jackie O's stouts, and considered the Hop Juju and Papillon nice bonuses :-)

jpjayp likes this.
  14. Jaywalsh20

Jaywalsh20 Defender (656) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Headed to Cincy this weekend as well. Is SMS easily accessible? Never had that one, if anyone could tell me where to get it I would appreciate it. That stinks about Brew Kettle not dating. White Rajah is so good

15. tepie

tepie Initiate (80) Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

The rajah date is on the case usually

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.