what to do, submitted an edit to a beer and realised it was my error?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by stevepat, Jul 16, 2019.

1. stevepat

stevepat Defender (688) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

The title basically explains it. I didn't realize that I had a barrel aged version of a beer that had only been added as the non barrel aged version. I submitted a correction on the ABV and the style (the base beer is a milk stout, but on the barrel aged label that is not stated on the front label where it is just called an imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels) and then read the back label, looked at the other reviews and realized I had made an error.

I added the new beer, and am making this post, should I do anything else? Should I message a moderator?

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,083) Sep 24, 2007 Northern Mariana Islands
    Trader

I think you can "Report" yourself.

FBarber likes this.
  3. stevepat

Trader

how do i find the edit I submitted?

4. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,083) Sep 24, 2007 Northern Mariana Islands
    Trader

Should be in the Tools dropdown box, I think. Or, just bring up the beer you added, and report that as a duplicate.

5. stevepat

Trader

gracias I will see what I can do

6. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (31,632) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Moderator Society Trader

Good to go, I added some notes for you as well.

7. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (4,847) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

I just choose 'Suggest an edit' for the beer in question and select 'Other' or 'Duplicate' change types for the beer in question, explain the problem, and let the site editors/mods work their magic to fix my screw-ups...

Junior and FBarber like this.
  8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,674) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

You know, you're a hard working sob. Meant in the nicest terms.

PapaGoose03, stevepat and superspak like this.
  9. stevepat

Trader

thanks for all the hard work, glad i didn't ruin everything.
    On a side note when are these breweries gonna get their act together and prominently alert to the presence of lactose? luckily I'm not lactose intolerant, but I don't really enjoy lactose in beers much and I would have made a different purchasing choice if there had been any kind of mention on the front label.
    Also am still shocked that I'm the one who added a BA stout from Revision to the site, pretty sure it's been out for months and they seem to have a pretty solid contingent of fans on here. That's what lead to this whole conundrum, it didn't even occur to me that it wouldn't already be in the system

superspak likes this.
  10. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (31,632) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Moderator Society Trader

Per TTB label requirements: https://www.ttb.gov/rulings/ttb-ruling-2015-1-attachment-1.pdf

"When brewers use lactose in the production of a malt beverage, the designation is not required to refer to the ingredient. Instead, the malt beverage may be labeled as a “beer” or “ale” and so forth."

Yea it's not technically a food so the FDA is not involved. They require Dairy to be labeled on food as an allergen. So yea that part of the government needs to get into the new millennium :grimacing:

As far as adding beer, it's really not shocking at all. I've added plenty of beers from Europe myself, you would expect the locals to add beforehand. It's just a matter of the fact that we are not as busy as other sites for reviewing/rating.

Bitterbill likes this.
  11. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,822) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Yeah, the TTB's allergen labeling rules are more complicated than that, tho'. While a Lactose disclosure on the label is not "required" it seems it would be allowed under TTB's "Labeling" regulation (in which some of the FDA's regulations are followed - second quote):
    Whatever the !@# that means...