What to Expect When You're Expecting Beer

Discussion in 'South' started by drfabulous, Jan 12, 2013.

1. drfabulous

drfabulous Jul 23, 2005 Kentucky
    Subscriber

Some beers that we keep talking about arriving....

4 packs of Bigfoot. Louisville seems to have them. Haven't seen them in Lexington yet.

Hopslam. Last week of January according to Bell's.

Dogfish Head Birra Etrusca. Already on West Coast. Nothing here. In fact, some places seem to be running low on DH 750s right now.

Bourbon County Cherry and Coffee. Pazzo's has bottles for $24 each. I don't know of anywhere else. I've heard there should be retail....when?

Green Flash Palate Wrecker. This is supposed to be in every Green Flash market this time around. We didn't see any last year.

Lagunitas! Well..... On Facebook, they say Kentucky is on the list to expand to, but no timetable now. Write to them on Facebook, email, and Twitter and tell them to come to Kentucky!

2. bradfordjohnson

bradfordjohnson Jun 18, 2012 Kentucky

Liquor Barn Richmond Rd had Bigfoot a few days ago.

3. drfabulous

Subscriber

Interesting. Nothing at Beaumont yesterday. I seem to remember Richmond beating all the others out on Bolt Cutter as well. Should hit other ones soon, then, I assume.

4. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Just left LB on Richmond Rd., Bigfoot was there. Are you sure Pazzo's has cherry and coffee BCBS? I was there wednesday and the guy told me they only had 2 12 oz. bottles of regular BCBS and I bought one of em...

5. drfabulous

Subscriber

I was at Pazzo's Tuesday, and Cherry and Coffee were both on the bottle menu. I didn't order them so I'm going by the menu. Then again, Zombie Dust was on the draft menu (they were out) and not on the bottle menu (I was told that they had bottles). So who knows. Bigfoot should then be in the other LBs, I'd assume, by next week since it's at Richmond. Anything else interesting over there? It's a little out of my way, so I don't usually go out there.

6. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

Not particularly. I swing through every few days after working out just to check, and I live right next to the one in Hamburg so between the two, so I'm usually on the prowl. They had bottles of Black Ops at Hamburg last week, not sure if they're still there. Or if you'd even want to spend $23 on one.

7. drfabulous

Subscriber

Thanks for the update. Black Ops is ok, but nothing I'm looking for. Still, interesting as well, because I haven't seen it at Shenanigans, Beaumont LB or Good Foods.

8. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

Just breezed through LB Hamburg, no Black Ops. I did notice they had Expedition Stout in now (I'm sure everywhere else will soon, too) and a handful of Sam Smith Chocolate Stout. Those Sam Smith's always sell fast. Something strange: they removed all their FFF? Not sure why, kinda made me feel sad.

9. drfabulous

Subscriber

Shenanigan's has had Expedition for some time now. Maybe they are just out of FFF for now? Dreadnaught is still on tap at Whole Foods.

10. fritts211

fritts211 Feb 19, 2011 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

I've had both Coffee and Cherry, and while they are an experience, I wouldn't be too worried about going insane trying to find them. Much better beer out there, I even prefer regular BCBS. If you're excited about Hopslam, Keg across the river had it as of yesterday (well, it is 1:30 am as of post, so technically two days ago). Happy hunting.
    Oh, and if you like Barleywine's, BM me.

11. johnking82

johnking82 Jan 30, 2010 Kentucky

I've yet to see Bigfoot in Louisville, but I really haven't been looking (rimshot!). I did have some year of Bigfoot on draft at Mellow Mushroom yesterday for $3.

I think IF we get Cherry it will be in real small numbers.

12. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

Not to mention, there seems to be a huge influx of $20+ beer bottles as of late. It's becoming exhausting, specifically on my wallet.

AllanC likes this.
  13. bradfordjohnson

I had Cherry 2 Fridays ago at Pazzo's...it was worth having once but it hurt spending $24/bomber on it. Had Bramble a few days before the Cherry and Bramble > Cherry a lot.

14. semibaked

semibaked Mar 27, 2007 Kentucky

None of the beers you have mentioned have hit BG yet, except for BCS Coffee. We got 1 case and it is gone, it was $13.99 each.

15. drfabulous

Subscriber

Dogfish Head Birra Etrusca is now at Trappe, which probably means it is elsewhere in town, too. Zombie Dust is on tap there as well. I sat there in the middle of the afternoon, no one else there, and didn't even have any. I was trying the Evil Twin Mini Growler and Omnipollo Leon instead. Here's hoping this is a sign of the times: Zombie on at normal hours without 500 people crowding the bar (it's lasted a few days at the Beerworks anniversary week as well).

bradfordjohnson and BEERchitect like this.
  16. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

Stopped into Pazzo's last night. They STILL have reggae BCBS in stock in 12 oz bottles, which I'm surprised.

17. AllanC

AllanC May 27, 2011 Kentucky

I can't wait until we get Lagunitas in Lexington. Got to try a sampler of Somethin' Somethin' Ale, and Somethin' Wild Ale about 6 weeks ago, thanls to a friend who brought some in. Also got to drink their IPA while in Erie a couple of weekends ago.

What I would really love to see here is Firestone Walker. Not the stuff they make for Trader Joe's. The really thing, Union Jack, Double Jack, Wookie Jack, DBA, etc.

18. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

Just had Double Jack in Vegas. In fact, I believe it was you who made a comment on Untappd....?

19. AllanC

I think I did. We have a bottle of Double Jack in the fridge that a friend gave us on Christmas Eve. First I have seen since we visited their taproom in Buellton back in September of 2011.

20. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

Yup, that was you :D

21. TwelveOunces

TwelveOunces Nov 7, 2011 Kentucky

Hope we get Palate Wrecker. I bought it last year when I was out of town and loved it.
    I already had this years hopslam, It was better then last years in my opinion.
    Anything about Black note stout hitting KY in the rumor mill?

22. drfabulous

Subscriber

I can only hope. Though, friends in Michigan said they didn't get any. So who knows.

I don't know what the likelihood of Firestone Walker coming here is...they are mostly Western with a few Eastern exceptions (Chicago, Philly, NJ). But Lagunitas is real. They are around us, but not here. Email them. Tweet them. Tell them to come here. The more voices, the more likely, particularly with the new brewery coming online soon in Chicago.

23. drfabulous

Subscriber

btw, if you like Lagunitas, check out Tony Magee's book that came out recently. Just finished it, and it is a great read into the history of the brewery.

24. bradfordjohnson

I see it's $17.95 for paperback on Amazon...yet the Kindle version is $14.99. This makes me sad that the Kindle version is so much.

25. drfabulous

Subscriber

I have the paperback. I dig these kinds of memoirs. Jeremy Cowan's is also very interesting to read.

26. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

Looks like Beerworks just announced they're tapping Hopslam this afternoon. I saw a Hopslam tap handle on the counter at Hamburg LB just now also, so looks like it's rolling out.

27. drfabulous

Subscriber

Hopslam is at Good Foods which means it's likely everywhere now. Maybe 10 cases on the floor.

28. tronto

tronto Dec 22, 2010 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Its in at louisville beer store

29. drfabulous

Subscriber

Which? Black Note?

30. tronto

Beer Trader

palate wrecker

31. AllanC

Hamburg Liquor Barn has Hopslam in bottles. Two six pack limit. $17.99 per six.

32. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

[​IMG]Found these babies at The Village Idiot in downtown Lex. No carry out unfortunately.

33. drfabulous

Subscriber

I've heard it's only restaurant/bar in Lexington now. How much?

34. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

Lol ill tell you in a sec...we got a bomber of each.

35. TwelveOunces

TwelveOunces Nov 7, 2011 Kentucky

Good lookin. 4 packs or bombers?

36. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

Okay, well, my wife paid the tab and I forgot to check the price and she didn't save the receipt, but based on what we paid and what we had, each bomber was somewhere at $25-$30.

37. drfabulous

Subscriber

Worth it? I guess that all depends on how one defines value.

38. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

Whew, agreed. The only reason I did both was because A) my wife was sharing and B) I was afraid they'd be sold out of one if I waited to try the second down the road. Well, the wifey tapped out after the first glass of coffee so I had to drink the cherry by myself. Not complaining, but I didn't drive after that. It was a lot of big beer, too, would have tasted much better spaced out. That being said, the cherry is absolutely awesome. I'd definitely say it's worth getting at least that one. I remember 5 years ago, we used to drop $50 on a good bottle of wine. Having a much more profound respect for beer now than I did for wine then, I don't have a problem with the price, but I would have preferred taking it home.

39. tronto

Beer Trader

bombers.

40. drfabulous

Subscriber

btw, Bells BB Batch 9000 and Bourbon Cherry Stout are still on tap at the Trappe.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe