What type of seal could the Brewers Association offer to entice you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by stevepat, Jun 10, 2019.

1. stevepat

stevepat Zealot (598) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Given that nearly 90% of respondents to the poll said they either don't look for the 'independent craft' seal or don't know what it is, I got to wondering what sort of labeling the BA could provide that would get you to take notice.

For me, something that identified breweries that worked to be good ecological stewards (supporting small toxin free farmers in ingredient sourcing, diverting mash waste from landfills, using water conservation techniques, etc...) OR something that identified breweries that were especially positive economic actors. This second is already (i think) somewhat covered by the certified B Corp logo but I only know of one brewery that sports that (NothCoast brewing) but given threads like the one about trilliums labor practices it seems there is some room for improvement in the working conditions/compensation department in the brewing industry.

Is there any labeling addition that would make a difference in your purchasing decisions? Or is it just about the liquid in the vessel?

Joe13, Roguer, PapaGoose03 and 3 others like this.
  2. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Savant (978) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Just about the liquid in the vessel for me.

And to be honest, I find the constant advertising of the "seal" to be annoying. But, I get it and why they do it.

3. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,636) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I would be game to see a symbol that the brewery acts as a good steward. A handful of my local guys are big into this especially Arizona Wilderness which is one of my local favorites.I think when companies spend more and do more they should be recognized for such efforts, etc.

On the flip side I cannot see the industry going down this road, sadly I think the politics involved would result in gridlock on the subject.

Usually I read about the breweries I enjoy and their mission statements etc so I get a good feel for what they stand for and all. Plus visiting them and knowing the folks helps determine a lot. I like to support folks who support the local community and give back etc.

Cheers

4. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (31) May 15, 2018 Virginia

A seal with the bottling/canning date on it, mm/dd/yy (or similar) format.

5. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Champion (867) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Yes, some kind sustainable practices seal, although I'm not quite sure if the BA would be the one to administer it.

Of course beer quality & price remain two leading factors - but with those being nearly equal, I think a seal denoting good stewardship/practices is more meaningful than the "independent" seal.

Separately, I think we're getting to the point where we need a *Lactose-Free* seal.

6. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,129) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

This. I care only about what's in the container, not what's on it.

7. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Savant (978) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

If breweries contract brew, should we put a "dependent" seal on the beers?

8. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,445) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

They should just quite wasting their time and money on this falderol. If it does not pertain to the liquid in the container, it won't affect me one way or the other.

9. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (707) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I would like to see what is in my beer. I don’t want lactose in my beer and some beers don’t tell you this or it’s so small and hidden.

I list of ingredients would be a good starting point. Calories , sugars , carbs etc on the can would also be great.

I don’t care if a canned on or best by is used but state BB x date or canned on X date, not just a date I need to guess about. DFH uses canned on but the packaged on date is different than the cans in the pack and that is annoying. Use the oldest can date on the mix pack box.

Enjoy

10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,012) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

A seal like @joerooster stated: “A seal with the bottling/canning date on it, mm/dd/yy (or similar) format.”

But in addition a message like: “If this beer is x days past the packaging date please call us at 1-800-xxx-xxxx and we will promptly remove this old product from the retailer.”

Cheers!

11. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (887) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I don't care about the seal at all, it's about the beer and nothing else.

12. rgordon

rgordon Savant (931) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

The seal on the North Coast Red Seal Ale has always lured me.

Ranbot, aufie, eppCOS and 9 others like this.
  13. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,125) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

The seal is for beer drinkers who don’t spend time on a beer forum, it’s not for us.

14. matthewp

matthewp Initiate (176) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts

Certainly the majority of people on beer forums know who is and who isn't independent. The question is whether anyone outside of people who hang out on beer forums cares if the brewery is independent or not. The conjecture of the seal is that if people knew that a craft beer wasn't an independent brewery that the purchaser would not purchase the beer. I'm not really sure that matters to non beer geeks. Its unclear how much it matters to beer geeks either. I'd guess they never really put any market research into this...

AlcahueteJ and stevepat like this.
  15. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,851) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

There are market research data that show that at least one major demographic of buyers uses independent as one factor in their beer buying choices.

16. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,661) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

The only seal I look for is a very prominent packaged on date.

17. matthewp

matthewp Initiate (176) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts

Certainly there are demographics of people who use independent as one factor in their beer buying choices but the question is whether that group of people looks to the seal or knows who is and who isn't an independent brewer with or without the seal. If you are preaching to the choir then putting a seal on is useless and you don't really have market research data (or at least not the proper data). A majority of the beer I purchase has the seal, probably 99% of the beer in fact but the seal isn't a factor in my purchase. I kind of doubt that a high percentage of people who are educated enough to know that the seal exists are unaware of which breweries are truly independent.

drtth likes this.
  18. WillieThreebiers

WillieThreebiers Poo-Bah (4,316) Apr 26, 2012 Connecticut
    Society

beertrip likes this.
  19. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,413) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

You and several others have commented about this version of a seal, but in reality it could cause us to put that bottle\can back on the shelf because the date is too old. And we all know that maybe half of the beer on store shelves is older than what we'd like it to be.

20. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,767) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

But if we "know" it, that must mean it is already date-coded, isn't it? (I posted in this thread earlier but somehow most of those posts by me and others were deleted, I guess?)

LuskusDelph, Bitterbill and stevepat like this.
  21. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

22. PapaGoose03

Society

Yeah, if we know it, I agree with your point. But my point is that the deal could have the opposite desired effect with old dates. Not much of a plus for a marketing effort.

Bitterbill likes this.
  23. jesskidden

Society

Huh? But...but that's what this thread is about, too :rolling_eyes:

Bitterbill and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  24. stevepat

Trader

Maybe a seal that carries a packaged on and best by (based on the beer inside) date as well as indicating that the brewery was following some kind of best practices to ensure fresh beer was on the shelves/old beer was removed. Maybe accompanied by some phone number to call or instruction to alert the store staff if the beer had passed code

25. jesskidden

Society

Other businesses (bakery, dairy, etc) are able to survive without depending on selling old product.

26. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Zealot (573) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Maybe a seal worth 25% off.

AlcahueteJ, dcotom, Spade and 2 others like this.
  27. JackHorzempa

Society

Needless to say but I agree with this (as posted above):

"But in addition a message like: “If this beer is x days past the packaging date please call us at 1-800-xxx-xxxx and we will promptly remove this old product from the retailer.”

Cheers!

LuskusDelph, Bitterbill and stevepat like this.
  28. JackHorzempa

Society

Like a peel off coupon?

Nice!:slight_smile:

29. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

LOL

FatBoyGotSwagger and Bitterbill like this.
  30. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,810) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

No, there’s not much they could do to make me only but their label. Some of the best beers I’ve ever had are small craft beers, the counter to that is some of the worst beers I’ve had has been small craft beers. Macros imo are kinda neutral, they serve a purpose and I like them in their place, but there’s no way in hell they could wow anyone over the age of 15. That said I buy what I like regardless of who what where.

31. stevepat

Trader

yep, I meant to cite you as the source of that. Seems like the BA could be uniquely positioned to conglomerate these small independent brewers' freshness programs. A central contact point for customers to report out of code beer that may allow the BA to exert some pressure on the worst offending retailers

32. JackHorzempa

Society

At the risk of being a 'downer' - don't hold your breath here. The Brewers Association does not have the intestinal fortitude to take on the effort of improving beer freshness at beer retailers IMO.

Cheers!

P.S. I would be delighted to be proven wrong here.

33. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,431) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Since a useful date is crucial, it should follow stringent standards;
    • Bottling date preceded by "Bottled on". If optional consume-by date is included, it must be preceded by "Consume by"
    • In a standard prominent location.
    • In a standard font in a standard point such as Times-New Roman 10pt bold.
    • Black printed on a white background.
    • In a standard date format such as mm/dd/yy (too bad for Europeans).
    • Solid printing, not dot-matrix.
    This leaves no ambiguity, and ensures readability. Some brewers seem like they don't want consumers to know the bottling date.

kuhndog, AlcahueteJ and Bitterbill like this.
  34. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

What I enjoy more is when stores scrape the codes off and place them into the singles section. I see beers there all the time I know have/had dates and magically they are missing. You can walk over to a pack and see the dates same beer a few feet over missing lol.

35. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,075) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

This exactly. Too many breweries make no mention of the inclusion of lactose on there packaging.

LuskusDelph and Joe13 like this.
  36. nc41

Trader

Damn, that’s the last time I’d shop that store.

bbtkd, drtth and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  37. PapaGoose03

Society

Stupid fat fingers! I was trying to say the seal would have the opposite desired effect (of promoting the brewery) if it is the reason for non-sales.

Edit: the text inside the parenthesis were just added to further clarify my point.

38. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

It is one of my local grocery stores and a local Total Wine. I was checking out beers I am pretty familiar with and could not find dates. I know they have them and was thinking man this is odd. Checked more and all missing. Seems like the motto is have someone do this, place in singles row, and folks will grab. Its sad the lengths some will go to in order to confuse/mislead paying customers.
    Needless to say I don't buy much beer from them anymore since I am not too thrilled to know this is their practice. Could have been a certain employee and maybe management did not know but that seems weird, I would think it came from someone who is concerned with the bottom line.

39. nc41

Trader

Wow, that’s just a sad state right there. An employee could care less, only the store manager would give two shits, and would benefit.

40. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,568) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

And everyone seems to have their own definition of old. IPAs older than 1or 2 months, hard pass.

PapaGoose03 and nc41 like this.