What was the beer that got you liking beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mngermanshepherd, Jul 3, 2019.

1. mngermanshepherd

mngermanshepherd Aspirant (210) Jun 4, 2018 Minnesota

Ok, since I am enjoying beer and watching Wimbledon (and because I like reading about beer while drinking it), I shall pose the following question...

What was the beer that got you liking beer?

I'll start...I grew up in a dry home, and the one time I tasted beer, couldn't understand why people drank it. Eventually began drinking Bud Light (long story) and that got me thinking beer wasn't so bad. Can't stand it now (craft beers are my forte), but that led into Coors Banquet, which brought me here today.

The virtual barstool is open, chime in! :slight_smile:

2. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Champion (895) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society

Drank a lot of shite beers in college...Beast Light and Keystone Light were cheap and plentiful, lol.

Once I moved out west, for years, I pretty much stopped drinking beer except in social situations. Then an employee turned me on to this "new" beer called Blue Moon (lol!). It was the right beer at the right time and it just blew me away. Started buying Blue Moon and lots of other "crafty" beers after that.

The first true craft beer that blew me away was one of the early editions of Stone Enjoy By. That was the first time that "fresh hops" really clicked for me. I've been an unabashed hop head and proponent of fresh, hoppy beers ever since. After that experience, I went fully down the rabbit hole that is craft beer and have almost never purchased BMC or "crafty" beers for at-home consumption since (BCBS and variants being the only consistent, non-craft purchases I make nowadays).

3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,432) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I tolerated adjunct lagers for years before finally deciding that Schmidts wasn't so bad. However, when Arcadia Brewing first opened here in town and I tried all of their beers, it was the London Porter that finally caused me to beging exploring craft beers and more imports. It's been 23 years now, and I'm enjoying my discovery every day.

4. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (708) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

I always liked trying new beers. When I was underage I would get my hands on Henry Weinhard and Pete's Wicked. I drank the local Colorado brews in college. It wasn't until I was about 28 when I was turned on to Duvel. That's when it blew up. Went to the nearest Binny's and bought about $100 worth of Belgian goodies. Haven't looked back since.

5. JA_26

JA_26 Initiate (108) Feb 4, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

My first beer was an Ortlieb's, smuggled out of my friend's dad's garage one hot summer night when I was a freshman in high school. Didn't love the taste, but throughout my high school years me and my buddies would either sneak a few or pay one of our older brothers to get us beers - mostly cheap stuff like Schmidt's (I'm from the Philly area), Genny Cream (our favorite in those days. In college I drank a ton of Rolling Rock, Iron City and Stroh's. My first "craft" beer was in 1985 - a Sam Adams Boston Lager. At the time, at the tender age of 25, I was the lead negotiator for my union in talks to renew our contract. It was a tough situation, but we managed to get a new contract without going on strike. To celebrate, our employer took me and my negotiating committee out for beers (labor-management relations have changed over the years; I miss those days). He treated us to Sam Adams, said "You guys might like this; it's totally changed my view of beer." He was right, whatever you think of Sam Adams now, it rocked my world back then.

6. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,836) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Schlitz circa 1975.

It wasn't a great beer, it was simply an American adjunct lager but I loved it. It was the taste of beer to me. Following that I eventually tried wine (meh) and liquors (not so fond of). In time I learned to love both wine and some liquors, mainly whiskey, but I've always loved beer.

7. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (194) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Corona from the back of my aunt's fridge at age 12 (my aunt isn't a beer drinker and this was in June, the beer was easily over a year old) thought it was the worst thing I ever tasted. Looking back, probably relatively accurate :grin:

8. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,313) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I’ve had my share of mediocre French lagers (Kronenbourg) before I got a taste of Belgian Delirium tremens and this blew me away...

I could have mentioned Leffe which is a decent beer but there’s so much more in Belgium. So I’ll stick to Delirium to answer your question.

Like others, haven’t looked back since except when I’m offered Heineken and I don’t want to be that douche telling how crappy it is...

9. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,477) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Coors and Olympia... living at the time east of the distribution area for both of these, scarcity and hype marketing worked... these beers were obviously better than good ol' Bud, Miller, etc, :wink: Friends visiting the west would mule these beers back. When they finally became available, they were always my favorites, especially Oly.

Then, in the late 70's / early 80's, I was traveling regularly on business to England. The place I was working there had a pub on-site that served Marston Pedigree Bitter on cask. Wow! CAMRA was ramping up in the UK at the time, trying to preserve the traditionally brewed English ales served on cask, unpasteurized and without forced carbonation. I was sold!

Of course, this was the pre-craft era in the USA, so I spent the next decade searching for something like Pedigree stateside. Still living in the middle of the country, this was largely to no avail. Occasional business trips would allow me to sample Yuengling, Anchor Steam, and Sam Adams, but they were not what I was actually remembering...

Until I moved to MN and discovered Summit EPA. There it is! Not on cask, of course, but there was that flavor I was looking for! So, it began...

10. mngermanshepherd

Summit is good stuff! They are very friendly there...

GreenBayBA likes this.
  11. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,598) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

When I was in high school and early college (mid 90's), most of the offerings were just light and macro lagers. All of the big names along with Red Dog, Southpaw, Icehouse, and such. I never really cared for any of those. I mainly drank cider at the time. Woodchuck and Woodpecker were pretty common.

I think the first beer I truly enjoyed was Pete's Wicked Maple Porter. From there it became easier to try things that were similar, like normal Pete's Wicked, Guinness, Heineken Dark, Sam Cream Stout, and Rogue Mocha Porter. It took me years before I discovered that I liked pale beers, too. Redhook ESB and Rogue Dead Guy were mostly responsible for that.

12. VoxRationis

VoxRationis Poo-Bah (1,628) Dec 11, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

Tried a range of commercial lagers in college, Bud, MHL, Coors, etc. Long before craft was a thing, Anchor Steam really turned the page for me. Always looked for it after that (still do). Honorary mention to Pete's Wicked Ale, but that's long gone.

13. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (266) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

I think I might be the only person who did not get their start with macro lagers (or stick to any one label for years)

14. VoodooBear

VoodooBear Defender (607) Aug 25, 2012 Puerto Rico
    Trader

Had some Boston Lagers, Yuenglings, Blue Moons and such in my youth. But the ones that made me go "Holy shit!" were Sam Adams Alpine Spring and Stone IPA. Still try to get Stone whenever I can find it fresh and look sadly at the single Alpine Spring bottle I kept as a souvenir whenever I walk by my empty bottle/can shelf.

15. mngermanshepherd

Isn't it a spring release annually?

GreenBayBA likes this.
  16. VoodooBear

VoodooBear Defender (607) Aug 25, 2012 Puerto Rico
    Trader

Nope... Got replaced by Cold Snap some years ago, unfortunately.

GreenBayBA and mngermanshepherd like this.
  17. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,655) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Started with Michelob, since it was premium, after all. (Plus my dad drank it after golf, which I thought was cool.) In college I discovered Bass Ale then Newcastle. Those were much better. A bomber of Tank 7 and a bomber of Brooklyn Local 2 turned me to craft years later after going through the "Sam Adams seasonal pack" phase.

18. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,083) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Late seventies in wisconsin, sampling strohs and Miller high life. For a big buzz we used to buy elephant beer, one bottle was enough to acquire a buzz, it was nasty tho.but mainly Miller high life .

19. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,837) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Warm Budweiser in the woods with my friends, can’t say it was the beer that turned me on but it was my first. For the most part we drank beer just to drink beers because it was cheap. Can’t remember the first wow beer that clicked fir me, more so a gradual thing.

20. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,628) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Living in Connecticut in the 60s, I drank what my father bought and offered me on Sunday dinners.

Narragansett, Knickerbocker, Schaefer, Piels, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Schlitz, Ballantine Beer and Ale. Occasional Lowenbrau, Budweiser, Miller High Life, oh and Rheingold. My palate back then was anything but refined but the Ballantine Ale and Lowenbrau yelled...I'm different.

21. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,294) Jun 4, 2012 Korea (North)

First taste? Bud Ice at about age 9.

First beer I drank to myself? High Life at about age 15. Spent my teenaged years switching between high life and pbr.

First beer that actually opened my eyes to the world of beer? Hoegaarden at 21 or so.

22. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,035) Sep 24, 2007 Montserrat
    Trader

I don't remember my first beer (can remember splitting a 7oz bottle with 3-4 other kids around 5), but it was likely a Genesee product. My Dad's friend worked at the brewery and always had a couple cases around.

In high school Miller was our beer of choice, mostly, but we would always try any other beer we saw. Many Prior Double Darks were consumed at a mall restaurant when I worked at a Hickory Farms store. By the late 80's, these new "Micro brews" were starting to show up. Since then.......

23. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (376) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

I remember sneaking a bunch of Coors Light from the fridge and playing Tony Hawk being probably 16 or 17. First understood what the buzz was all about lmao.

Fell in love with a red IPA in Dublin, but back in the states I ended up drinking a lot of Sixpoint Global Warmer, and then inherently Resin (which was the drink of choice for many co workers at the time).

Beer just got better and better from then. Now I’m sitting back, tallboy of High Life in hand, wondering how it all came full circle.

24. nc41

Trader

Funny how that full circle thing works.

mngermanshepherd and mambossa like this.
  25. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (376) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

I have a feeling it’ll be a recurring theme in life as a whole. Cheers! :beers:

mngermanshepherd, GreenBayBA and nc41 like this.
  26. nc41

Trader

At my age I can say that’s definitely true.

mngermanshepherd and mambossa like this.
  27. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,628) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Henry Weinhard Special Reserve. I had its first bottling. No more of them in town but I was kinda disappointed when they stopped labeling which bottling it was.

mngermanshepherd and PapaGoose03 like this.
  28. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,489) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

In junior-High school I started with macro AAL, which in college I literally drank by the pitcher - and from the pitcher. Can't really say I liked macro AAL. From there I mostly went to hard liquor, and then over the next 30 years or so my wife and I drank less and less. Before I took up craft at age 57 I hadn't had much to drink in several years.

What got me started in craft is that I had and liked an Orkney Skull Splitter (8.5% ABV) while on vacation - picking it by the name and ABV, and when I got back to South Dakota I tried to find it but couldn't. Then a few months later I had an Odell Mountain Standard at dinner and liked it. I tried finding that and couldn't. Starting to get frustrated, I learned as much as I could about craft, finding that there are seasonal beers and limited distribution - so you can't always get what you want when you want - like you can with macro. From there, I just dived into craft.

29. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,160) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

As we used to say (waaaay) back in the day, "You ain't the Lone Ranger, stranger!"

I cut my teeth on cheap-ass wine: Mad Dog, Bali Hai, Ripple, and one or two others. We knew a couple of places in town who would sell to underage assholes. As far as beer was concerned, I could take it or leave it - most often the latter. I never knew what beer could be until the first time I tried Alaskan Smoked Porter. Even More Jesus and Fresh Squeezed broadened the horizons even further. I never looked back.

30. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (3,392) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Great Lakes Brewing Co.'s Edmund Fitzgerald Porter.

From ages 16-28 I thought beer was gross. The first porter I ever tried literally changed my life.

These days, I find it too hoppy for the style, but it will always hold a place in my heart...which, subsequently, is wearing out much faster due to my love of beer.

31. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,187) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Reissdorf Kölsch. It was the first time I realized that beer - even yellow, fizzy beer! - didn't have to taste horrible!

jonb5, rgordon, DoctorZombies and 4 others like this.
  32. nc41

Trader

My first wine was Annie Greenspring Peach Ripple or Peach Creek, or something like that, then we walked across the bridge and went to see Mark of The Devil. 1972-73 on or about. Bad buzz and a gross movie.

dcotom likes this.
  33. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Zealot (582) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut
    Society

Miller High Life was the beer that got me liking beer....Widmers Deadlift IPA is the beer that got me into craft. I haven’t had a deadlift in years though.

Great thread idea, Happy 4th!

mngermanshepherd likes this.
  34. marquis

marquis Crusader (770) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Over 50 years ago we were served by lots of smallish local breweries, which would be called craft these days. Lovely beer though very restricted choice of styles. Luckily some of these are still being brewed and they are still my favourites. Drinking one now, Belvoir Star bitter, basically the same as the old Ships tones Bitter. Unfortunately the price has gone up by 50 times.

jonb5, DoctorZombies, Roguer and 2 others like this.
  35. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (266) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

I don't think I ever put Kolsch in the fizzy, yellow category (has something to do with reading about it, first, as an ale/lager hybrid, and suddenly taking an interest)

Something about Kolsch, Alt, and California Commons that does it for me

Roguer and mngermanshepherd like this.
  36. mngermanshepherd

High Life isn't actually that bad :slight_smile: Being a Wisconsinite originally and a huge Brewers fan, Miller was the beer you asked for when out...quickest way to get tossed out of an establishment was to ask for the competitor in blue :wink:

How the times have changed.

37. nc41

Trader

I love firsts. We were 16 going to the bars in Trenton, drinking age was 21. Dumpy little bar hell I can’t even remember the name, but all these bars looked the same, I can still smell the stale beer in the air, and only two beers available; Schaefer at .15 a glass, Bud for .20, served in those short 7-8 oz kind of a pils glass. We’d have $2 in our pocket and we had maybe 10 beers worth, more if you drank Schaefer. Owner had a big ass German Sheppard behind the bar and as long as you behaved they served you. I’d guess the locals hated it to have a dozen or more 16 year olds sucking down beers, but we spent what amounted to a lot of money in those bars back in the day. The owners liked us, and sadly those things don’t work today, Trenton now Is just flat out dangerous and it’s ravaged by drugs and gang violence of epic proportions. It’s so bad most businesses relocated to the suburbs or closed, it’s not even safe to drive thru certain neighborhoods anymore.

38. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (47) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

When I started college in Vermont, my older friends would give me beers like Long Trail at parties and things like that, but I drank them without giving much thought and perspective.

Then I went on a trip with my parents to Belgium, Austria, and Germany. In Belgium I had my first beer on draft - Stella, which was okay. I remember also having Stiegl in Vienna. But what really got me into beer was drinking Schneider Weiß at their beer hall in Munich with my dad. Since then I’ve developed my own interests and tastes, but I love going back to a good Weißbier when I get the chance.

39. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,432) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

You didn't drink Scuppernong wine?! That stuff is made in NC if I remember correctly. That's mostly the wine I drank back in the '70s when I was living in Ohio. Is it still around?

40. nc41

Trader

I grew up in Langhorne/ Morrisville Pa, about 45 minutes notch of Philly. Moved down here in the mid90s. Anne Greenspring was also the choice in our bongs too. :slight_smile: