What was the first beer you had?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cwm51662, Feb 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tankg

tankg Aspirant (241) Apr 27, 2008 Pennsylvania

My grandfather was a Champale guy. With cheese and crackers. So yeah, started with malt liquor.

cwm51662 likes this.
  2. Averwo

Averwo Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Iowa

Corona

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  3. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (5,398) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

Natty Light

cwm51662 and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  4. not2quick

not2quick Savant (934) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Busch

Story has it I came home from being out with my dad and apparently I was drunk. My mom said that one of my dads friends put beer in my bottle. I have a hard time believing that A) An adult would actually put beer in a babies bottle and B) My dad would allow his friends to give me enough beer to make me drunk. We're talking 1-1.5yrs old.

I'm guessing they gave me a couple sips and my mom overreacted.

But as far as I can remember, when I went to my dads every other weekend (divorced, who would have thought, lol), the first beer he would crack in the evening (Busch) he'd let me have the first pull. I was probably 6 or 7. You better believe I'd try to guzzle as much as I could before he'd yell "Hey, give me that!" So by guzzle probably two "big" gulps, just to try and impress him.

ChicagoJ, cwm51662 and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  5. Anoldshopteacher

Anoldshopteacher Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2020 New Mexico

You gave me a smile because I bet I haven't thought of Utica Club in almost 50 years. God that was nasty stuff, though I never knew they made a bock. The only upstate NY beer I ever liked was Genessee Cream Ale. The others always gave me headaches.

cwm51662 likes this.
  6. Anoldshopteacher

I remember part of the jingle. "Knock for Knickerbocker, New York's favorite beer" But it disappeared from the stores in the city in the 60's. Surprised that the label was around until the 90s.

cwm51662 and Bitterbill like this.
  7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,117) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

I remember: Pour yourself a fistful of flavour, pour yourself a Knickerbocker Beer.

cwm51662 likes this.
  8. Anoldshopteacher

My first legal beers were Rheingold on my 18th birthday at Doherty's bar on Staten Island, NY. Can't remember my first sneaks but I'll add to the reminiscence of pisswater by recounting of "Pathmark" beer. At 16 I started working for Pathmark supermarkets and when we were doing really dirty maintenance jobs the managers would let us have the store brand beer. You'd open, you'd pour, you'd see a bubble or two. It was worth what we paid for it. It was definitely not the one beer to have when you're having only having one.

Bitterbill likes this.
  9. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,484) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Ya sure? Maybe you were just beer shopping in the wrong store...:wink:
    [​IMG]

That's 8 months or so before Rheingold closed its last brewery in Orange, NJ. (Brooklyn closed the previous year).

Looks like Schmidt and Heileman/Stroh shipped most of the brand to New England - some to Florida - after that based only on ads, tho' as a discount brand it was usually a store ad. (I remember it in NJ in the '70s, but don't recall if it was the Rheingold or Schmidt brewed version).

ChicagoJ, cwm51662 and Bitterbill like this.
  10. BJC

BJC Initiate (192) Nov 9, 2002 New Jersey

The Clam Broth House had Knickerbocker as their house draught in the mid-70's.

11. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,075) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

cwm51662 likes this.
  12. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (5,548) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Hard to remember. I'm getting old. But most likely Miller High Life. My Dad used to drink a 6.5 oz. "nip" after dinner every night (when he got home from work he and my Mom would have martinis or scotch). The first beer I bought myself was in Sweden when I was 15 - Carlsborg White Elephant. It's been downhill from there. :grin:

Bitterbill likes this.
  13. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Swiped a Genny Cream Ale from my dad when I was 14-15, mid/late 70s, not counting the sips that I used to get from my Uncle Jimmy when I was 5 or 6

14. Bigrock

Bigrock Initiate (167) Feb 4, 2013 Texas

Schlitz in 1970 on a freshman basketball tourney trip. Three of us had permission to stay overnight with one player’s brother who lived in the tourneys host city. (The rest of the team had to drive 90 miles home and come back the next morning. That’s how we do things in west Texas.) The older brother pulled out a six pack and we had one apiece and I loved it at first tentative sip.

15. Limazulu

Limazulu Zealot (528) Jan 4, 2020 Idaho
    Society Trader

Mickeys Big Mouth. Freshman in college, drank 3 or 4 in one sitting and promptly threw them back up in the porcelain bus about an hour later. As nasty as that stuff was, it's a wonder I ever drank alcohol again.

16. 25Comical

25Comical Initiate (44) Oct 3, 2017 Illinois

My dad was not a big beer drinker but I recall Falstaff and Schlitz in the fridge at family gatherings and I was able to sneak a sip. I was not impressed.

10 or so years old used to go with a friend to his grandparents house. His grandpa had two fridges full of PBR. He also had an abundance of Hershey bars, Pepsi, and Hustler magazines laying around.

Between the Pepsi, candy bars, and all we were learning from the Hustlers we decided to sneak a PBR. While we felt pretty cool and sophisticated we did not enjoy the beer and went back to Pepsi.

One evening when in grade school there was a homecoming dance. I snuck out and traveled the short distance to the school where the dance was held and found several 6 packs of Michelob that some high school kids cached in the bushes. i appropriated it. Bet those high school kids were pissed. Homecoming dance, probably promised their dates some beers. Gone thanks to me. The next day i shared it, warm, with several buddies. At that point it was worse than the PBR but we looked much cooler with those 70s Michelob bottles.

Bigrock likes this.
  17. woodchipper

woodchipper Poo-Bah (1,517) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

No idea, but my best guess is a Shaefer. Probably stolen during the 60's while I was still under 12 (1970).

18. Ceddd99

Ceddd99 Initiate (174) May 14, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

19. Buckeye55

Buckeye55 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2019 North Carolina

A Blatz beer I stole from a case my dad got for helping out at my Grandpa's bar. I remember it like it was yesterday. It was the summer of '77 I was 13. The case was out in our garage (warm). Not the best way to have one, but it didn't taste too awful.

I remember the case was heavy cardboad and had a 'split top', i.e. it had two flaps.

20. mgross50

mgross50 Initiate (25) Apr 15, 2004 New York

I was laughing out loud reading this :grin::grin: !

cwm51662 likes this.
  21. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,403) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I am pretty sure my dad gave my beer when I was a toddler so have no idea what the brand was. Probably Henninger or Kaiser Pilsner or Amstel, as these were the most popular beers at the time in the area that I grew up.

305STIguy, NickSMpls and cwm51662 like this.
  22. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (4,280) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

Probably Rheingold or Schaefer, as those were always in the icebox when I was a little kid. We're talking almost 60 years ago!

cwm51662, BJC and cavedave like this.
  23. Rhettroactive

Rhettroactive Poo-Bah (1,892) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I was 18 when I had my first full bottle of beer. It was an ice cold Corona with lime in a big pool in Cancun, Mexico. I remember thinking it was exceptionally bitter.

24. marquis

marquis Champion (812) Nov 20, 2005 England

Probably Bass. I found an opened bottle in the pantry when I was about 4 years old and had a swig. It was awful, and my mother caught me doing it. I was punished, not for the beer but because I had drunk from a bottle. No well brought up person ever drinks from a bottle.

25. AlmostDeadly777

AlmostDeadly777 Initiate (66) Apr 29, 2018 California
    Trader

I'm pretty sure my first beer in general was Coors Light at a high school party. Remember thinking it was awful, and went back to drinking whatever equally awful mixed drink I preferred at the time (Captain Morgan and Coke I think).

First legal beer I had was a Stella Artois, which was my go-to when I'd drink at my best friends house cause his parents were cool with us drinking during family events or holidays.

But one of my friends was a bartender at some little brewery called "The Lost Abbey" and there was this really cool beer garden nearby called "Stone Brewing" that other friends told me about...needless to say I was ruined within weeks of turning 21. No idea beer could even taste like that!

26. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I was a toddler, my dad back in the day bought Carling Black Labels in those hard cased cardboard boxes for 16 oz bottles. I’d get into the bottles and suck up any stale beer still in the bottles, I have a picture somewhere.

First real beer I’d guess Budweiser snuck in the woods. First legal beer was Schmidt’s on tap at a local bar.

cwm51662 likes this.
  27. SuperGrover

SuperGrover Initiate (42) Jun 24, 2018 Minnesota

PBR. It tastes a lot better now than it did then. Apparently it’s an acquired taste...

cwm51662 likes this.
  28. Mikemcgrath4

Mikemcgrath4 Defender (623) Aug 16, 2014 North Carolina

Samuel Adams Winter Lager. I started late.

cwm51662 likes this.
  29. Cstamp3084

Cstamp3084 Initiate (88) May 3, 2020 Maryland
    Trader

Coors light I still don’t mind a few when at a cookout or track event. In my area of Maryland 10oz can is popular.

cwm51662 likes this.
  30. T-Bird

T-Bird Initiate (16) Aug 26, 2013 Ohio

Pfeiffer when I was 7 years old and my dad let me try it. Can still taste it and would love to have it again today, but it's no longer produced. Loved it from the first taste. He realized he created a monster because I bugged him at least once a week for a sip. My mom was not happy but she looked the other way.

A year later my uncle let me sip off his Falstaff. Whenever he was in town I got some of that.

Good stuff!

cwm51662 likes this.
  31. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (8,113) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

First alcohol was getting hammered on leftover champagne on New Year’s when I was 3. First beer I remember actually drinking, not just getting a sip, was a Falcon Bayersk that I stole from our fridge when I was about 15. I did not like it. Oh, how times change.

HoppingMadMonk and cwm51662 like this.
  32. Judgie

Judgie Aspirant (228) Nov 21, 2012 Indiana

Probably not my very first, but a better story. Summer job working at the Falstaff Brewery; on my last day there, the fork truck driver reached behind his seat & pulled a cold one from a cooler and handed it to me with a "good job, kid!" All I did was clean floors & toilets, but really wanted to use those big paddles to stir the big tanks.

33. epterina

epterina Initiate (126) May 20, 2018 Florida

Natty Ice, we wanted something to get us messed up and it did and gave me one hell of a hangover

34. ATL6245

ATL6245 Meyvn (1,002) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia
    Society

Anyone remember the "pony" sized beers? My first beer was a Budweiser pony size bottle. I thought it was terrible. Didn't drink another beer after that for almost a year. :grin:

HoppingMadMonk and cwm51662 like this.
  35. GC2020

GC2020 Initiate (0) May 16, 2020 New Hampshire

I remember ponies!

For me I was 8 or 9. We lived in a three-decker in a part of Boston known for three-deckers. My father would play cribbage on the steps outside with the tenant from the first floor, usually with a Red Sox game on the radio (Who remembers Billy Rohr?). I asked if I could try a sip of his can of Budweiser (opened with a churchkey - no fancy pull tabs back then.) I tried, and it was disgusting. As I got older I drank a lot of disgusting beer, because everyone else was. Usually Budweiser or Miller High Life was the ticket. The drinking age was 18, so 16 year olds could pull off a buy at a package store now and then. Around 17 I discovered Heineken Dark, and I've been looking for great beer ever since.

HoppingMadMonk, ATL6245 and cwm51662 like this.
  36. ATL6245

ATL6245 Meyvn (1,002) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia
    Society

Lol, I knew someone would remember those. That's sounds very familiar. I always looked a little older than everyone else my age, so I was the lucky one sent into the old country store to buy a case of Bud or Miller. A miracle I was never arrested! In college I mostly drank Miller Lite. That was the holy grail at the time. If I was on a date and had scraped up enough money, I'd go "upscale" and buy Amstel Light. The first really good craft beer I had was Anchor Steam, when I was on a business trip in San Francisco. I was amazed. Thought I had found gold!

cwm51662 likes this.
  37. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (4,065) Dec 22, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

Maybe Rolling Rock.

cwm51662 likes this.
  38. miniditka77

miniditka77 Aspirant (286) May 21, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

The first sip I ever had of my Dad's beer was either Old Style or PBR. I don't remember which one, I just vaguely remember the blue shield logo.

The first one I ever had to myself was a Budweiser, I believe.

cwm51662 likes this.
  39. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (3,833) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

This beauty. A good old Canadian Labatt Club. My brother-in-law handed me a bottle on a family camping trip when I was 13 (many moons ago). I was....impressed. It was piss.

[​IMG]

40. TheRougeBastard

TheRougeBastard Savant (942) Aug 22, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

Schlitz Malt Liquor “tall boys”.:Three friends of mine split a sixer! Two each, ended up being tore up from the floor up![​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.