What was the last in-person beer fest that you attended?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,495) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

I miss beer fests. The last in-person beer fest that I attended was our Extreme Beer Fest in Boston on January 31 and February 1, 2020. Almost seems like another lifetime at this point.

How about you? What was the last in-person beer fest that you attended?

DrOfGolf, Olesjm, cavedave and 8 others like this.
  2. IKR

IKR Champion (844) May 25, 2010 California
    Trader

The last Firestone Walker Anniversary event that was held. And yeah it seems like a lifetime ago for me too now!

LampertLand, eppCOS, beergoot and 2 others like this.
  3. monstershu

monstershu Initiate (30) Jun 10, 2020 Illinois
    Trader

Goose Island stout fest this past March.

slc666, IKR, beergoot and 1 other person like this.
  4. BourbonForBeer

BourbonForBeer Aspirant (205) May 11, 2020 Illinois
    Trader

FOBAB or BCS Goose Island Prop day release?? It’s been a while... Maybe a year +??

Too long.... I goto bottle shares every Friday.

ktr5010, IKR, eppCOS and 3 others like this.
  5. Stormfield

Stormfield Aspirant (201) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Oxbow Goods from the Woods 2019

IKR, eppCOS, beergoot and 1 other person like this.
  6. randjuke

randjuke Initiate (158) Feb 13, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

FoBAB I think November 2019.

7. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Champion (805) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

I know this wasn’t what you asked, but I have never been to one. Wanted to, but circumstances always defied my plans.
    We only have a couple that I know of in Michigan, one in the winter at a ball stadium and one in the Ann Arbor area in the spring or summer. Both sell out quickly.

8. Quinnimical

Quinnimical Initiate (136) Jul 13, 2018 Washington
    Trader

Belgium Comes to Cooperstown 2018 @ Ommegang. A couple buddies and I have tried to make it out there every other year, but they took a hiatus in 2019 expecting to start up again in 2020. Well, you know what they say about best laid plans. Hopefully we'll all be able to get back at it in 2022, sampling more Belgian brews than any one liver can handle, and taking in the beauty of the Catskills and hop trellises.

keithmurray, IKR, sulldaddy and 6 others like this.
  9. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (7,356) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

DrOfGolf, yokels, IKR and 4 others like this.
  10. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,631) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Same. I really hope things are under control enough to safely hold it in 2022...if for no other reason so I can drink some damn Pivo!

IKR, beergoot and bluejacket74 like this.
  11. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,693) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Snallygaster - DC in October, 2019 - a good time with a friend who likes German beers and his friend who is more of an across-the-board craft beer guy. Pretty good time, despite the pretty large crowd (even by pre-COVID standards)
    [​IMG]

I actually think it had been a little while before that for the second to last one.

#11 cjgiant, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Sheppard, IKR, jakecattleco and 5 others like this.
  12. moodenba

moodenba Devotee (475) Feb 2, 2015 New York

Only one: Blue Point Brewery Cask Ale festival about 10 to 15 years ago. It featured many LI breweries (including lagers) and home brewers in a tent in their Patchogue River Av. back lot. It was a cold February afternoon, and the cask beers were generally too chilled, at ambient temp (maybe 40F). Another year (I stayed home) the festival occurred during a blizzard (but the show went on). In my old age, I don't have the stamina for a beer fest (or, for that matter, a music fest).

Someone should write a history of LI brewing. The Long Island Brewing Co. (brewpub) near Jericho Tpk., probably in Westbury, was the first craft brewery on LI, and sank without a trace.

IKR, tobelerone, cjgiant and 4 others like this.
  13. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Poo-Bah (5,991) Jul 4, 2005 Ohio
    Society

Went to Kentucky Craft Bash in Louisville on June 26th, pretty fun time! First beer fest I've been to in more than a year.

slc666, LampertLand, IKR and 3 others like this.
  14. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,792) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Zwanze 2019. I'd been looking forward to this year's, but I'll likely have to miss out due to my work schedule. :slight_frown:

IKR, PapaGoose03, cjgiant and 3 others like this.
  15. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,802) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

2019 Half Acre's Big North, in August. Miss that (predictably) - not happening this year either.
    Stupid virus.

LampertLand, IKR, SFACRKnight and 2 others like this.
  16. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Savant (912) Apr 12, 2013 Virginia

My brother, his family and I attended a little local one here in northern Virginia back in April of this year, but the weather was crappy and cold and rainy so we didn’t stay long. Before that it was Zythos Belgian Beerfest in Leuven, Belgium back in 2018. Two of my college buddies and I flew over to it attend it and it was glorious! Planned a two-week European trip around that fest and Dublin, London, Brussels & Paris. Visited Guinness in Dublin, Abbey Road Studios & The Royal Albert Hall in London, De Half Mann & Bourgogne Des Flanders in Bruges, Cantillion in Brussels, stayed at the Chimay Hotel for a night in Chimay, Belgium and then finished our trip in Paris. Drank an obscene amount of Irish, English & Belgian beers!

DrOfGolf, IKR, tobelerone and 3 others like this.
  17. Sigmund

Sigmund Poo-Bah (4,700) Mar 26, 2002 Norway
    Society

Probably Cambridge Beer Festival, England, end of May 2019.

18. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (11,249) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Frost Fest 2019 at the Washington County Fairgrounds here

eppCOS, IKR and bluejacket74 like this.
  19. Tucquan

Tucquan Poo-Bah (3,210) Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Across America - Philadelphia, PA 2014

Obviously, I don't go to many beer fests but this one was special and very memorable because of the attending brewers.

Ken Grossman personally poured me a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale!

Natalie Cilurzo personally poured me a Russian River Supplication!

Vinnie Cilurzo personally poured me a Russian River Pliny the Elder!

I felt like I was backstage at the best rock concert ever.

Of course I took a moment to thank each of them for what they've done for the industry; for brewing great beers, and in the case of Russian River; for making them available to us in the Philadelphia area, which is by far the exception to the rule thanks to their longstanding relationship with Monk's Cafe; an early proponent of RR sours.

I'll probably never attend a beer fest as remarkable as this one but now that I live near Pittsburgh instead of Philadelphia, I'm willing to explore new fest opportunities as I check out what this part of the state has to offer.

BTW, I'm drinking a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale as I type this. It's always in my fridge.

20. cjgiant

Society

We hit a Beer Camp in Portland, ME one year (was it only a one year thing?), and had a grand time, but not quite that awesome. We got to try Dinner by MBC (only time), and souvenired a couple perfect pints from BBC and have one remaining taster glass.

IKR and bluejacket74 like this.
  21. meanmutt

meanmutt Meyvn (1,019) Feb 6, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

Attended BockFest Cincinnati in March of 2021. Not sure if you'd really call that a beer fest though. Pretty much just a bunch of breweries downtown with special Bocks on tap and big crowds roaming around enjoying the weekend. Didn't attend the BockFest Parade.

The last single location Beer Fest I attended was Shelton Brothers "The Festival" in Louisville back in 2016.

eppCOS, IKR, moodenba and 1 other person like this.
  22. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (4,091) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Black Hog Brewing Barrel Aged Fest January 18 2020. A great event with only barrel aged, not always high ABV beers.
    Do miss em. But can only do 1 or 2 events like that a year with young kids.

I would only go to an outdoor beer event at this point, but am hoping things are calm and that Tyler and the team at Black Hog run the event again in 2022

IKR, tobelerone and bluejacket74 like this.
  23. BigDummyLamont

BigDummyLamont Initiate (12) Jan 16, 2021 Massachusetts

Tree House 3rd Anniversary party if that counts.

eppCOS and bluejacket74 like this.
  24. Tucquan

Tucquan Poo-Bah (3,210) Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

There were a couple more Sierra Nevada Beer Camp tours in subsequent years (after 2014) but I don't have a good tally on when they ended.

bluejacket74 likes this.
  25. cjgiant

Society

I feel like it wasn’t that long ago that we did it, but I think it might’ve been that same year. It was the one promoted nationally by the 12-pack, which I only recall seeing one year around here.

bluejacket74 likes this.
  26. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,881) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

GABF 2019, unless you count the 2020 bottle share in my neighbors garage we did in lieu of GABF.

eppCOS, IKR, cjgiant and 1 other person like this.
  27. flat_lander

flat_lander Champion (839) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

DLD 2019 in May, then Prop Day in November. Both were a LOT of fun. Also, RIP fun :slight_frown:

eppCOS, IKR, bluejacket74 and 2 others like this.
  28. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,866) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Hill Farmstead,
    Festival of Farmhouse ales 2019
    Quite a lovely event
    Cheers

Stormfield, eppCOS, IKR and 3 others like this.
  29. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,881) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Rip fun is right. I miss a lot of in person stuff, not just beer fests because of this crap. Cheers though, still doing better than we deserve it seems.

DIM and bluejacket74 like this.
  30. flat_lander

Society Trader

I ran into a lot of BAs at DLD. It was a good time.

bluejacket74, cjgiant and SFACRKnight like this.
  31. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,201) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Those were the Michigan Brewers Guild Winter Beer Fest in Grand Rapids and the MBG Summer Beer Fest in Ypsilanti respectively. I've never gone to the summer one, and it's probably been 5-6 years ago that I attended the winter version.

But to reply to the thread, my last fest was the MBG U. P. fest in Marquette. That's been 4-5 years ago now.

eppCOS, bluejacket74 and Whyteboar like this.
  32. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (9,071) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Discounting the several shares we've attended and hosted, which turn into veritable mini-fests, sadly Nucleate Festival June 2019 in Ann Arbor, Michigan was the last official in person festival we attended.

We always go to Huna and DLD, and those would have been on the books for 2020, and while technically did get our DL allotment, alas without a festival.

It's worth noting that we actually held an unwittingly "last" share Friday the 13th March 2020 in lieu of Huna day, literally just before the lockdown in Ohio, pandemic themed and all. But we went a while without another share, which all were outdoors thereafter.

eppCOS, IKR, bluejacket74 and 3 others like this.
  33. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Poo-Bah (7,871) Sep 25, 2011 England
    Moderator Society Trader

The Sixth Independent Salford Beer Festival
    November 2019
    Was needed on the much bigger keg bar where I was torn on what I had enjoyed the most Pilot’s lemon pepper gose, a cider barrel aged saison & Manchester indie giants Marble’s West Coast IPA Cubbio Damage

On the last night Saturday when it had gone quiet sneaked into the cask bar so I could constantly call out Brigg’s Signature Ale’s contribution name -
    “Techno Techno Techno”

But before leaving grabbed a pint glass & filled it 3/4 full of the strongest impy & managed to get it all back home despite the walk, tram & smoke from Guy Fawkes night bonfires & fireworks, which I blamed on the cough that only cleared up when the ‘Rona started :open_mouth:

34. LampertLand

LampertLand Poo-Bah (2,847) Nov 2, 2011 Canada (BC)
    Society

Volunteered at the 2018 Great Canadian BEERFest at Royal Athletic Park , Victoria BC
    Friday Sept 7th , drinking shift :stuck_out_tongue:,
    Saturday Sept 8th , volunteer shift & after party :sunglasses:

35. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,976) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Last one I attended was the Washington Brewers Guild(?) Festival at Avista Stadium in 2018. 2019 was an expensive travel summer for me, so I declined to attend, and we all know what's happened since then.

36. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Disciple (339) Aug 24, 2020 California

About 2001. I find them expensive for what is offerred and too crowded in SoCal. I would much rather take the $$$ and spend it via a few visits at local brewers or by sharing beers of interest with a couple friends in my back yard.

DIM, IKR, bluejacket74 and 2 others like this.
  37. wise456

wise456 Initiate (137) May 6, 2006 New Jersey

AC (Atlantic City) Beerfest about a month and a half ago. It was held outside for the first time and the organizers did a great job of pulling it off.

IKR and bluejacket74 like this.
  38. Electros

Electros Poo-Bah (2,364) Feb 20, 2007 Canada (ON)
    Moderator Society Trader

Toronto Festival of Beer.

LampertLand, IKR and bluejacket74 like this.
  39. Cotton_27

Cotton_27 Devotee (487) Feb 22, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

2019 Michigan brewers guild summer beerfest in Ypsilanti. 2020 would have been my 9th straight year attending.

IKR, bluejacket74 and Whyteboar like this.
  40. flat_lander

Society Trader

My friends and I that went to DLD 19 did the same thing on the same day. We all brought our DL variants, among other things. We had it scheduled months out and decided to move forward with it. I braised a corn beef the next day in the DL cuvee I saved from leftovers. Also, going back in my photos I was reminded that my dog got skunked the next day. Just what you need the day after a big DL share...
    [​IMG]