What was you favorite beer from Extreme Beer Fest: Cyberspace (2021)?

Discussion in 'Extreme Beer Fest in Cyberspace (2021)' started by Todd, Feb 9, 2021.

?

What was you favorite beer from the fest?

Poll closed Mar 11, 2021.
  1. Dogfish Head - Hazy-O!

20 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Other Half - Small lACEd in Space IPA

18 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Short’s -Super Delicious Stout: Extreme Beer Fest Edition

45 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. Carton - The World’s Turned Upside Down

74 vote(s)
    14.0%
  5. Great Notion - Double Maple Pusher

38 vote(s)
    7.2%
  6. The Lost Abbey - Libri Divini

50 vote(s)
    9.4%
  7. Mortalis - Special HYDRA

94 vote(s)
    17.7%
  8. Modist - Special Reserve Mallow

51 vote(s)
    9.6%
  9. Japas Cervejaria - Black Miso

51 vote(s)
    9.6%
  10. BeerAdvocate, BeerThugLife, Crowns & Hops - F2020X3

54 vote(s)
    10.2%
  11. Dogfish Head - Olde School Barleywine

35 vote(s)
    6.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knapp85

Knapp85 Poo-Bah (9,455) Dec 25, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

For me it was as follows:

Dbl Maple Pusher - 4.21
    F2020X3 - 4.11
    Black Miso - 4.09
    Super Delicious - 4.08
    lACEd - 4.04
    Hydra - 4.03
    Hazy-O - 4.02
    Mallow - 3.99
    Worlds Turn - 3.94
    Divini - 3.63

2. Gkruszewski

Gkruszewski Poo-Bah (2,886) Nov 1, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

I enjoyed all of the beers from cyber-EBF. The one that stuck out to me was Black Miso

thebeers likes this.
  3. RichNLove

RichNLove Initiate (16) Jan 13, 2021 Pennsylvania
    Society

We thought all of these beers were outstanding. There were none that I wouldn't drink again. Will probably grab some Hazy-O as an everyday drinking beer when available. (I have too many HUGE beers that don't always go with dinner on a weeknight) The beer that really stood out for us though was the Modist Special Reserve Mallow. Such an interesting/unusual profile of the crisp lager with the marshmallow finish, without being overly sweet. We mapped all of the breweries involved for future road trips, but we looked to price flights to Minneapolis. LOL

jonathanlolley and DDiFran like this.
  4. bruindre

bruindre Defender (641) Jun 20, 2009 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Yup - same for me. I think this is the beer I had the fewest preconceptions about and MAN did this pleasantly surprise me. Most unique beer IMO, and genuinely surprised me with it's sophistication and drinkability. How can I get more?

Rounding out my top 3: Carton, then F2020X3.

Super impressed by the execution of this thing too - looking forward to the next virtual event.

5. teromous

teromous Poo-Bah (3,417) Mar 21, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I was wondering when this thread would get made, and I'm glad that it was. First of all I just want to thank all of the brewers for participating. Regardless how a beer shakes out, I'd rather have a brewery take a chance and do something new, original, or extreme, rather than play it safe. I really loved getting a chance to try all of their beers and I hope all of them continue to push the envelope and try new things.

The best beer in my opinion was Double Maple Pusher. The maple aroma and flavor was amazing and intense, but it had a ton of character beyond that, ranging from nutty to coffee. It was like walking into a Waffle House or an IHOP but you could smell and taste everything at once. I loved it and I hope Great Notion makes it again.

6. chmccand

chmccand Disciple (373) Aug 14, 2008 New Hampshire
    Society

Sounds like we need rank-choice voting to get good data here. :wink:

bruindre and thebeers like this.
  7. NEBeerGoddess

NEBeerGoddess Initiate (174) Dec 28, 2020 Connecticut
    Society

Definitely Modist’s Special Reserve Mallow for us - so delicious. We also loved the Short’s, the Great Notion, & the Mortalis. Our least favorites were Hazy O and Libri Divini, but there was really nothing that we didn’t enjoy. Please consider more events like this in the future!

DDiFran likes this.
  8. TheRossness

TheRossness Devotee (434) Sep 25, 2014 Connecticut
    Society

A lot of the beers ended up being drain pours. The Miso was undrinkable and was a drain pour. The thuglife wasn’t much better and was a drain pour. Shorts reeked if booze, had no flavour and was a drain pour.

The Other Half really wasn’t anything special versus the numerous hazy IPA’s that can be found anywhere. I’ve been to Other Half’s Pastrytown brewfest, and they seem to put much more effort into their pastry stouts.

Mallow just did nothing for me. There was nothing to balance the flavour against. It was too sweet and I thought a Larger was a poor choice for the adjuncts. Kolsch or Belgian inspired base would have served it better.

Carton really needed to be drank warm. Cold, it tasted like battery acid. It improved immensely as it warmed up. If the fest was in person, that would have been good as a cask served beer.

Hazy O wasn’t anything special, but it was far from being bad. It was floral and smooth. I got a 2011 Olde School and it was very good :slight_smile:

The Lost Abby drank like a funky summer beer and was enjoyable.

Great Notion drank thin and was like the flavoured syrup they serve at IHOP. Not bad, but not enjoyable either.

Mortalis was the best and was a joy to have. It was like drinking a Fruit Rollup. Fruited Pastry sours are awesome!

just my 2 cents.

#48 TheRossness, Feb 9, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    kilowattcycles likes this.
  9. AwkwardOtter

AwkwardOtter Aspirant (213) Aug 30, 2018 Connecticut
    Society

F2020X3 was simply outstanding. Dusky and rich, with a luscious texture. Like lounging with a great cigar after a fine meal (and I don't smoke). If terrible years make for great beers like this, I hope the rest of history the worst of luck!

10. Shinbone5000

Shinbone5000 Initiate (5) Jan 16, 2021 Oklahoma
    Society Trader

I’m drinking my second Hydra now (I bought two Extreme packages) which is rather special but the Imperial Marshmallow has to be the most original beer I’ve tried in some time. Of course the Black Miso is a very close second. Overall very impressed with the selection this year!!!!

bruindre likes this.
  11. BrianKleinman

BrianKleinman Initiate (17) Mar 1, 2012 Ohio
    Society Trader

Modist Special Reserve Mallow was my top but it was so hard to pick. This beer won for me because it was beer with a slight twist. I also have to say, I went in thinking it would be my least favorite and was so surprised. My nears second was Hydra because it just hit me in the face. I haven’t really had any true smoothie beers like this. I think I had a very closed mind to them but that will now change! The rest were amazing as well. This was an awesome fest and despite the haters I thought the value was totally there. These beers were either super unique, brand new or very small batch. This was really fun!

bruindre, sulldaddy and Timrage00 like this.
  12. Timrage00

Timrage00 Initiate (111) Jan 12, 2021 Oregon
    Society

For me the old school BW was just an amazing beer! I would have thought it would be in by a landslide. But I’m not going to speculate further about that!

13. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (4,355) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I still have three to enjoy (which I will this NBW), but Olde School is the leader in the clubhouse for me. I’d pay $100 for a 6er of the 2013 bottles to enjoy one per year for the next 6 years to see how it evolves. Absolutely LOVED that beer, and Little O did as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thebeers likes this.
  14. BFCarr

BFCarr Meyvn (1,468) Feb 13, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

This is my ranking of the Extreme Beer Fest beers. The top four I found to be exceptional. The bottom 2 or 3 were okay, but not my favorite. I think I'm an outlier on the Maple Pusher, I just found it too sharp & peaky.

Super Delicious Stout: Extreme Beer Fest Edition 4.46
    F2020X3 4.43
    Special Reserve Mallow 4.29
    Olde School Barleywine 4.26
    Small lACEd in Space 4.06
    Hazy-O! 3.97
    Black Miso 3.94
    Special HYDRA 3.90
    Libri Divini 3.88
    The World's Turned Upside Down 3.81
    Double Maple Pusher 3.75

I wish my own beer hunting would result in a list like this. But those 4.25+ are a rare find.

15. boyoboyoboy

boyoboyoboy Initiate (7) Sep 13, 2019 Illinois
    Society

Here is my list from most favorite to least:
    01. Dogfish Head - Olde School Barleywine: favorite style of beer and I got a 2013
    02. Carton - The World’s Turned Upside Down: loved the effort and the paper label
    03. Other Half - Small lACEd in Space IPA: I would like the Large version
    04. Modist - Special Reserve Mallow: good artwork, great ingredients, excellent beer
    05. BeerAdvocate, BeerThugLife, Crowns & Hops F2020X3: you had me at triple
    06. Dogfish Head - Hazy-O!: It's not a 120, 90, or 60
    07. Great Notion - Double Maple Pusher: too much maple to drink a pint
    08. Mortalis - Special HYDRAP: not a fan of sugar candy or this beer beyond a taster
    09. The Lost Abbey - Libri Divini: It's not a belgian tripel or quad
    10. Short’s - Super Delicious Stout: Extreme Beer Fest Edition: claims are unfounded
    11. Japas Cervejaria - Black Miso: miso not horny for this one

ovaltine likes this.
  16. BigHop

BigHop Disciple (381) Sep 17, 2008 Florida
    Society

With all due respect, everyone who didn't choose DH Olde School Barleywine as their favorite brew of the 11 has their taste up their ass. No contest. It might even be better than the 90 and 120 Minute IPAs, which is the highest compliment I could possibly pay. To be fair, however, it comes up just a little short of Utopias. But what doesn't?

boyoboyoboy likes this.
  17. BigHop

Society

18. BigHop

Society

OK. That was a little arrogant. Maybe more than a little. It is said "Different strokes for different folks." It is also say, "There's no accounting for taste."

Indie_Steve likes this.
  19. docr89

docr89 Disciple (390) Feb 11, 2009 Illinois
    Society

11-Libri Divini (I don't like sours)
    10-Black Miso
    9-Hazy-O
    8-Special Reserve Mallow
    7-Super Delicious
    6-Small Laced in Space
    5-Hydra (the only sour I have every liked!)
    4-Double Maple Pusher
    3-F2020X3
    2-Olde School (maybe the best barleywine I've ever had)
    1-The Worlds Turned Upside Down

20. el_bobbo

el_bobbo Disciple (378) Dec 22, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

The World's Turned Upside Down was my favorite. The heat from the booze was present but only for a split second before that sweet pineapple and cheery came in to soften it out. Absolutely phenomenal. F2020X3 was a close 2nd. So dark and roasty with a surprising hop nose.

The beer selection was on point, even Other Half's last minute entry to save the day with
    Small lACEd in Space IPA, which was a perfect stereotypical OH IPA (in a good way).

21. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,078) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

yeah, but which year? :wink:

ovaltine likes this.
  22. mumz3of4

mumz3of4 Initiate (5) Nov 18, 2020 California
    Society

My favorite was the Libri Divini. I’m a big fan of wild ales and this one was divine.
    Hazy O absolutely changed my mind about IPAs. I typically don’t care for the hoppy taste but Hazy O was so mellow and smooth I am now a fan.
    The Special Reserve Mallow was quite an interesting flavor profile - quite enjoyable.
    The Hydra fruited sour was very tasty and it was interesting how it was much like a smoothie in a way.
    This was a fun and entertaining event. Glad I was able to join both nights

23. Beanie_541

Beanie_541 Initiate (27) Nov 5, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

OH laced hands down. I haven’t tried the olde school or Carton, but loved everything else. Especially enjoyed the miso and the mallow

24. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Meyvn (1,077) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society Trader

Shared all the beers on Sunday evening with some friends. The F2020X3 was the unanimous crowd favorite and had people reminiscing of Wookey Jack. I don’t tend to seek out Black IPAs but this was well executed and something I’d buy more of given the chance.

25. Transamguy77

Transamguy77 Disciple (308) Oct 4, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Society

I haven’t drank all of them yet, out of the 6 I did drink Laced in Space and Hazy O were my favorites followed by Hydra. I also haven’t drank them all yet but every beer was a solid beer there was NO bad beer at all.

26. Braunmeister_1943

Braunmeister_1943 Devotee (403) Nov 22, 2020 Pennsylvania
    Society

Haven’t opened the Olde School or the F2020X3 , yet. Out of what I did have I’d go: 1. Double Maple Pusher, 2. World Turned Upside down.

27. BigHop

Society

Good point. Mine was 2013.

thebeers likes this.
  28. Refractured

Refractured Disciple (314) Nov 28, 2015 Washington
    Society

It’s hard to deny the butterscotch bomb from Dogfish Head; Olde School (especially my 2013) was Divine. But I had to vote for Mortalis. I’m a fan of the smoothie style that’s exploded and this was one of my faves. F2020X3 was also super tasty and I loved what I saw was nothing like how it tasted. Great body too. Finally, I also loved the Miso Stout. I’ll always love RIS and Japas nailed it with a wonderful and subtle twist.

29. rdmoore56

rdmoore56 Disciple (329) Oct 15, 2014 Ohio
    Society

For an Extreme beer that I probably would of never thought of buying, I cast my vote for Special HYDRA from Mortalis Brewing, crazy good

30. poisoneddwarf

poisoneddwarf Defender (697) Mar 26, 2010 Idaho
    Society

1. Great Notion Double Maple Pusher
    2. Modist Special Reserve Mallow
    3. Short’s Super Delicious Stout
    4. Lost Abbey Libri Divini
    5. Dogfish Hazy-0
    6. Other Half Small lACEd
    7. Carton World Turned Upside Down
    8. Dogfish Old School
    9. Japas Black Miso
    10. F2020X3
    11. Mortalis Hydra

I really did love all of them though. My top 4 are some of the best beers I’ve ever had. The two hazy IPAs are among the best NEIPAs I’ve had. And the rest of the beers were way above average. A hell of a lineup.

31. loudmacleod

loudmacleod Aspirant (239) Sep 2, 2020 Ohio
    Society Trader

Honestly, a great lineup of beers. My fave was the Super Delicious from Short's with the collab with Ironfish. That being said, Hydra, Black Miso, F2020X3 and Libre Divini were also standouts. I look forward to the next event and hopefully, I'll be able to have a little tasting party with a friend or two. Thank you for making it all happen!

32. DerekNN

DerekNN Initiate (5) Feb 5, 2021 Massachusetts
    Society

It was a tough call, but went with F2020X3. Black IPA is a style I don’t see enough of and to get to drink one that was so packed with flavor was an absolute treat. Overall, I’d say my top 3 were F2020X3, Black Miso, and Worlds Turned Upside Down. Amazing virtual fest, thank you for the great beers and the wonderful guests!

Indie_Steve likes this.
  33. Gordono

Gordono Devotee (425) Dec 17, 2016 Nevada
    Society

That’s easy, Dogfish Heads Olde School Barley Wine, it blew my mind.

A very close second, and most unexpected was Japas Black Miso. Miso in love!

34. sterwald

sterwald Initiate (6) Jan 21, 2021 Texas
    Society

My wife really liked Special Hydra, but for me it was the Black Miso Stout. Really clean and well done.

35. Crocuta_crocuta

Crocuta_crocuta Initiate (16) Jan 22, 2021 Texas
    Society

I would have to say the Hydra. That was pretty amazing. However the Small lACEed in Space and F2020X3 were all so close that it's tough to say. The Olde School was also so wonderful! There was nothing out of this batch that I disliked. Everything was Very good to Extremely good and a few Perfects. Really, a great curated batch. Thank you again for making this happen! I really need to start checking in beers on the forum.

Cheers!

Todd likes this.
  36. rdmoore56

rdmoore56 Disciple (329) Oct 15, 2014 Ohio
    Society

Couple of friends sat in on the fest, Jeff's favorite was Super Delicious Strout from Shorts and William's favorite was Black Miso from Japas Cervejaria

37. jcoleMA66

jcoleMA66 Champion (838) May 16, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

My favorite by far was the Olde School Barleywine - had a 2012 vintage and it was spectacular. Somewhat close behind was the Double Maple Pusher, although I didn't drink the whole pint myself. The whole can might have been too much, as others have commented. The World's Turned Upside Down, Super Delicious Stout and Hazy-O rounded out my top 5. That said, I really enjoyed all of the beers.

Braunmeister_1943 likes this.
  38. OU-CXpunch-DP

OU-CXpunch-DP Disciple (320) Nov 17, 2015 Oklahoma
    Society

They are all sooo good! I'm still toasting a great lineup. I really liked the HYDRA! As someone who has often said, "I'm not a sour guy" (almost arrogantly at times), this one was surprising, complex, flavorful and just plain good. I am rating it as my favorite but that may be because I went thinking I wouldn't care for it very much but quite the opposite was true. The lACEd IN SPACE was my top IPA, though I really enjoyed all of them. I have yet to drink the Olde School. I have been saving it because I wanted to savor it alone, without other beer flavors floating around in me. I will try it soon.

39. BigBdWulf

BigBdWulf Initiate (10) Dec 13, 2020 Illinois
    Society

Short's Super Delicious lived up to its name! A solid stout with a bourbon nose, that's taste I'd expect only achieved from years of bottle conditioning. A smooth blending of maple, bourbon, cherry/chocolate and woody notes, with an abv in a perfect spot to not make it boozy at all. Had to give it a 5, wish I could get more, and though 6 hours away, plan on visiting the brewery. Great beer and great video guys! So glad by chance it was the last beer out of the box.

A very close runner up, and huge surprise love was Lost Abbey's Libri Divini. I may have to revisit lemon meringue pie after drinking this beer. Never a fan of the dessert, I am a fan of the brewery, but expected to be meh about the beer. They really hit their target with this one. A near perfect level of lemony sweet and tart, with a freakish finish of graham cracker. Before I opened Short's, y'all were winning the fest going away!

40. BigBdWulf

BigBdWulf Initiate (10) Dec 13, 2020 Illinois
    Society

Had to come back after some thought. This is an extreme fest after all!

I still have leave my first 2 as is. Short's did what Olde School (2013) should have been. While not a truly extreme concoction, they managed to produce a fresh bottle with cellared refinement. Lost Abbey was extreme, and pulled it off magnificently. However...

If there was one extreme beer that stood out for going beyond bold and pulling it off, you have to hand it to Japas Cervejaria and their Black Miso. I love umami and miso, but would never have expected those flavors being so delicious in a beer! They made something so unusual, I'd never think to have ordered, and made it work. I paired it with a rosemary chicken with guava glaze, but can definitely see grabbing it instead of sake, and heading out to my favorite all you can eat sushi joint. Kudos girls!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.