What was your "celebration" beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dthompson0279, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meb3476

meb3476 Aspirant (206) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts

Had a case of Heady Topper at my wedding...

dthompson0279 likes this.
  2. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Defender (658) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

I just had the pleasure to celebrate my first grandchild with my first KBS. Many blessings and congratulations to you!

3. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (5,501) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

For the birth of my Daughter, I opened up my first Cantillon, Iris.

4. PlatonicOtterLuv

PlatonicOtterLuv Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2014 Minnesota

Congrats on the incoming child!

My wife and I split a 2008 Boon Oude Kriek Mariage Parfait immediately after tying the knot this past spring. Not terribly original but it was a nice surprise for her. We always crack something good from the cellar whenever we get promotions or bonuses as well. No offspring any time soon so can't comment there.

Best of luck!

5. PlatonicOtterLuv

PlatonicOtterLuv Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2014 Minnesota

All I had the day I received my bachelors degree was a handful of shotgunned Miller High Life's. Lost my best friend to a freak medical condition the week before graduation, and thats mostly what we drank (apart from good whiskey and Natty Bo). He taught me how to shotgun proper, so I figured it was the right way to celebrate our finishing college together.

So rarity or craft isn't always the best way to celebrate!

silverking and dthompson0279 like this.
  6. LKFH

LKFH Disciple (305) Apr 9, 2007 California

We are expecting our first in January. I have thought a lot about how I will celebrate, but I have not been able to decide. There is a brewpub across the street and two breweries within a mile of the hospital, so daddy might take a short walk during mommy-baby bonding and rest time. Something special can follow after we are home and get settled in.

7. SteveB24

SteveB24 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 New York

I dont have many friends that are into craft beer, so when I happen to have a guest who appreciates the good stuff is when i'll break out something special.

8. Wylde

Wylde Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2008 Ohio

I had my fair share of a keg of Labatt Blue when I got both my BBA and MBA.

9. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Poo-Bah (2,623) Feb 27, 2005 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I did something similar to this for the birth of my twins. I made a batch of coffee imperial oak aged stout, bottled it, and am keeping it in my cellar until they are 21. I have snatched a few here and there, but my idea is to save a six pack for each of them and one for me for their 21st birthday

I also recently completed a 70.3 IRONMAN Triathlon, and had a Dark Lord, BA Speedway Stout, and an Alesmith Grand Cru to celebrate.

10. Harnkus

Harnkus Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

The first night home alone while my son and wife were in the hospital, I had a SN Celebration...not out of any particular desire to fit the occasion, because I wasn't really caring about beer that day. It was just a beer to keep me and my happy thoughts company.

That was seven years ago today.

11. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2008 Ohio

The night my second daughter was born I had a Cantillon Classic Gueuze. Also not too rare, but my wedding night someone had a bottle of Arrogant Bastard placed in my room.

12. KevinL

KevinL Disciple (373) Aug 5, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

Recently cracked a Black Butte XXVI for my 26th birthday. Plan on continuing that tradition going forward. Also have a bottle of Westy XII to share with a buddy for his wedding this coming weekend. Can't wait.

13. Dweedlebug

Dweedlebug Disciple (347) Feb 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

I had a magnum of Chimay Grand Reserve for when I closed on my house. Just a bar stool, the bottle and a Chimay glass was all I took to closing. Well, aside from a great big check.

taxandbeerguy and dthompson0279 like this.
  14. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (407) Feb 19, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

Beat Batch 5 this past birthday

15. wesbray

wesbray Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Canada (AB)

Usually have a lambic or gueuze. Or a cellared old ale. Or Duvel.

16. porter_collie

porter_collie Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2014 Minnesota

My wife and I had a stash of Surly Abrasive and New Glarus Moon Man at our wedding. Just picked up a Boulevard Saison Brett for when I (hopefully) find out I passed the PE test.

17. FaradayUncaged

FaradayUncaged Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Michigan

My wife and I 'celebrated' here sister's divorce and first Christmas alone with 1.5L of BA Twelve Dogs of Christmas. (I still wish I didn't let my wife talk me into throwing out that bottle...).

18. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I'm a runner so sometimes after a marathon or half-marathon I'll fill up my 1.5 liter Paulaner dimpled mug with Paulaner Oktoberfest and celebrate with that. That's the closest thing I have to a celebration beer.

19. brentusaurus

brentusaurus Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 California

Whenever I celebrate something I drink a nice Belgian (saisons and sours mostly), usually something with a cork. Makes it all the more festive.

20. ninjembro

ninjembro Aspirant (208) Jun 17, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Haven't had one yet, but in about three weeks when I finish my bachelor's I'll be cracking one of my two KBS

21. DrinkAnchorSteam

DrinkAnchorSteam Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Pennsylvania

I find that just because a beer is special and an occasion is special it doesn't mean that the two will enhance one another. Make each their own thing.

22. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Champion (815) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin

I have celebrated in the past with 3F Golden Blend and am planning to celebrate receiving my bachelor's degree with the Armand'4 Seasons.

23. Arch578

Arch578 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Ohio

I like the traditional idea of champagne for celebrations, but like beer a lot more than champagne. So I try to go with something champagne-esque for celebratory occasions, usually a nice bubbly saison of some sort, preferably a bomber/750 of something rare/limited.

24. taxandbeerguy

taxandbeerguy Poo-Bah (3,470) Jul 12, 2013 Canada (ON)
    Society

A Westy XII after finding out I had passed my CPA exams last November.

25. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Defender (616) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Just had Avery The Beast for my 25th Birthday today. I am celebrating the fact that I made it to 25. Good enough reason in itself.

Honestly, it was not as good as I remember it being. Had it back in 2010 and 2011. Maybe I should have held it for another year or two.

26. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Congratulations!

In my case, for an event such as that I will indeed have a good beer that can also be shared with others, but the really special beers get saved for when there has been a bad day that needs to be made special.

27. mikepcarney

mikepcarney Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2009 Ohio

I've got a BT I'm going to open this NYE.

28. SlothB77

SlothB77 Devotee (484) Dec 28, 2012 Virginia

I'm looking to get a Huna to crack at my wedding. any other suggestions for a good wedding celebratory beer are much appreciated.

i'm actually touring DFH for my bachelor party, so hopefully they have some good options when i go.

29. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,843) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

I'm about to graduate in December and will get my hands on something special. I've been thinking westy XII.

rogerdandy likes this.
  30. ESeab

ESeab Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 New Jersey

I plan on doing a 3 year KBS vertical if I get a job working for some brewery that ages their beers in caves. SO if you see said vertical on WBYDN in the next few days, things went well. Note that, although I got 17 bottles in '13, I only received one '14 and one '15, so it'll be a big deal.

31. N17shelfside

N17shelfside Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2013 California

At my wedding shared a westy 12 and cantillon cuvée des champions with my wife.

32. ESeab

ESeab Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 New Jersey

During that Summer of '13, I'd crack open a KBS after every gig in which I think I deserved it, which was about 10 times. Unloading gear back into the house is always easier watching your KBS warm up

PatrickCT likes this.
  33. KSOZE

KSOZE Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Ohio

Congrats!

Just had our first son in May. Have had some great beers since then, but plan on having a blind taste test of 2014 BCBS (haven't had yet), 2014 Black Note and 2014 KBS with a buddy & my wife. Really looking forward to that "formal" beer celebration.

34. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Champion (800) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Usually something from The Ale Apothecary, Block 15, Cascade or De Garde. Maybe something from Upright's Sole Composition series... Something barrel aged and rare.

35. Mike_Aguirre

Mike_Aguirre Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Mexico

Belgian beers in large bottles are good for celebration: Chimay Grande Reserve, Gulden Draak 9000 Quad, Gulden Draak The Brewmaster´s Edition, Leffe Royale, Leffe Ruby.

36. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

Oude Lambiek De Cam

37. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (7,162) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

Schlenkerla Urbock. It is my favorite beer and I try to save it for special occasions.

38. AntG21

AntG21 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Syria

39. 1ale_man

1ale_man Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2015 Texas

Congratulations on your first born! This event is worthy of a celebration. All my children and grandchildren were before any of my appreciation for good beer, good wine, or good whiskey. If I were you, I'd pick one from all three of these and enjoy. Maybe a great cigar too. Congrats and cheers.

40. Bdubbsyall

Bdubbsyall Initiate (67) Aug 13, 2014 Illinois

I opened a Vanilla Rye when the Blackhawks made it to the Stanley Cup Final. I intend on opening a Prop if/when they win the Cup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.