What was your latest "pleasantly surprised" beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by McStagger, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeremy3311

jeremy3311 Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2013 Ohio

Stone, Sublimely Self-Righteous

TooGood, FlakyBiscuit and DemoniChris like this.
  2. NCMonte

NCMonte Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

Highland Brewings 20th Anniversary Saison... Normally not a huge fan of Saisons, but this one was pretty light, not all that skunky, very drinkable.

3. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,227) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Bold move, newbie. I like your style.

4. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Aspirant (208) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

Picked up a Lagunitas Imperial Red over the weekend and damn was it smooth and delicious! At 4.99 a bottle I'll absolutley be picking it up again.

Canada_Dan likes this.
  5. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper

6. Harnkus

Harnkus Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

Sierra Nevada Vienna was damn delicious for me. Certainly gave Boston Lager a run for its money. Definitely could see that one as a year round brew for SN. It's that good.

As above poster said, Anderson Valley Kimmie, The Yink, and the Holy Gose. Perfect balance.

Was also impressed, unlike others it would seem, with Ithaca's Crusier Berliner Weisse. Again, striked a nice blance without trying to outdo itself.

StoutChaser7D likes this.
  7. Harnkus

It wasn't always that good. It had a recent overhaul.

SCW likes this.
  8. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (162) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

The other day I picked up a single of Sebago's Hop Swap. It was nice.

9. Canada_Dan

Canada_Dan Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2013 Colorado

Been loving this all summer, can't beat the price!

10. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (7,858) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Ditto.

11. Canada_Dan

Canada_Dan Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2013 Colorado

Dig this one as well. On clearance? All day!

creepinjeeper likes this.
  12. MaltLickyWithTheCandy

MaltLickyWithTheCandy Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Maryland

Lagunitas A lil sumpin extra. The difference between the regular lil sumpin, and the extra is very noticable. A lot of fruit and citrusy and pine notes in the extra. Good stuff

13. Redneckwine

Redneckwine Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2013 Washington

I'll second that on NB Tour De Fall. I've been working through a sixer and finding it's a really easy to enjoy beer. The cascade and amarillo hops provide a really nice citrusy-orangey punch with very low bitterness. Like most of NB's brews, this one is well balanced, approachable, and the price is right. I'm not sure what it is, but it's also got that signature NB underlying flavor. A good brew with a good value.

MattSharpless and Golferallen54 like this.
  14. EuphonicHops

EuphonicHops Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 Virginia

I had heard mostly negative reviews of The Bruery/Three Floyds collab Floyd D'Rue. A fellow BA brought it to a bottle share on Saturday and I thought it was great. There were no signs of infection, and I think the consensus was that it was very enjoyable.

15. Wobbly

Wobbly Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2013 Missouri

St. Peter's Organic English Ale
    KC Pils by Boulevard

16. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (4,119) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

That's what I heard.. it's like drinking an IPL now..

17. choicegrinds

choicegrinds Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2014 New York

This one

18. M_chav

M_chav Savant (962) Apr 15, 2014 New Mexico
    Trader

Modern Times, Blazing World----- blew my mind, got only a single as an extra but definitely wanted a whole case to myself after trying it. Anybody love this brew as much as me? Can't believe it's not more highly rated

19. RobertH50

RobertH50 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 Texas

Jester King Snorkel. Was a little leery of the mushrooms and smoked sea salt but tried it Saturday at the brewery and it was really good.

20. Harnkus

Yep. That's what I got too.

21. DemoniChris

DemoniChris Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2013 Nebraska

Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw (2013) and Lagunitas Imperial Red

Both pretty much blew my mind. I had a 2014 bottle of the Blauw right after and it wasn't nearly as good. Even more age must do complete wonders to that brew!

HuskyHawk likes this.
  22. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (1,790) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

I have to agree 100%. I knew it would be good, it is a Lagunitas beer after all, but, just surprised at just HOW MUCH I like it.

I liked the Heavy Seas BA Siren Noire a lot too. I figured I'd like it, but I was raving about it the entire time I was drinking it. Great price too.

23. FlakyBiscuit

FlakyBiscuit Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2012 Pennsylvania

Weekend in DC and really enjoyed 3Stars Citra Saison and Three Brothers Hoptimization. Very tasty and all too drinkable

24. psnydez86

psnydez86 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

Troegs La Grave Tripel. Not that I wasn't expecting it to be good but I thought it was incredible. World class tripel IMO.

25. reebtaerG

reebtaerG Meyvn (1,005) Nov 24, 2013 Maryland

Westbrook IPA it reminded me of Jai Alai

utopiajane likes this.
  26. peteboiler

peteboiler Initiate (138) Dec 16, 2010 Florida

I was impressed with the Invasion as well, but it's not quite as good as the Jai Alai, IMO.

27. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (304) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey
    Trader

Boatswain Chocolate Stout. I was surprised because I tried their IPA which I really didn't care for, then tried the stout and it turned out to be pretty good. I won't say it wowed me but I did like it. And I believe it was $2.49 a bomber at Trader Joe's, which feels like a very good deal. At that price you don't expect much, but I was pleasantly surprised.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  28. Mizz

Mizz Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2014 California

2012 Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. I hadn't tried it before, and had recently read that some people were disappointed with 120 Minute in light of the BA score, so I was a little hesitant. I was more than pleasantly surprised, I suppose...I was blown away.

M_chav likes this.
  29. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (553) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Westbrook Gose was a very unique experience. As it says on the can--Sour and Salty. Did not think I would like the style but perfect on a 90 degree day.

Halluxone, utopiajane and M_chav like this.
  30. Flashy

Flashy Zealot (565) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

Boat by Carton. Awesome ale and at only 4.2 percent alcohol great for outside activities.

fehrminator and LambicPentameter like this.
  31. Storm21

Storm21 Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2013 Ohio

SKA Estival Cream Stout, I wasn't expecting it to be bad or anything, but I really enjoyed.

32. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

I opened my NB/FFF Lips of Faith Grätzer tonight and I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting much. What resulted was a really nice beer with just enough smoke to be interesting. I was under the impression that style was supposed to be sour, and I didn't get much sourness from it at all, but regardless of that it was a really enjoyable beer. One of the better smoky tasting beers I've had.

The other one I'll mention is 4 Hands City of Dreams, which is just a common APA that I bought on tap because I like to try anything I haven't seen from local(ish) breweries. My first sip resulted in a double take. It's not quite on the level of PseudoSue or Zombie Dust, but it's not far behind in my book. It's hard not to buy all the bottles every time I come across it on the shelf.

You know, after I read both your posts, I was going to add Elysian Jasmine IPA and add that you could really list any Elysian beer on this thread... then I thought to myself, if I am pleasantly surprised over and over by the same brewer, perhaps the issue is with me--I shouldn't be surprised any longer. :slight_smile: Either way, Elysian makes some great beers. Wish they came to Kansas/Missouri.

utopiajane likes this.
  33. TommyTheHat

TommyTheHat Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Weyerbacher Old Heathen.

34. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

You have got that right! Savant was wonderful too. :slight_smile:

LambicPentameter likes this.
  35. nkelley77

nkelley77 Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2013 Massachusetts

Hoppin' Frog Wee Heavy. I have been Loving the caramelized malty beer lately

36. NHhomebrewguy

NHhomebrewguy Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2012 New Hampshire

Not the biggest fan of brown ales but this beer from a local brewery gave me hope that brown ales can be drinkable. Blew me away!!
    [​IMG]

puboflyons likes this.
  37. KG710

KG710 Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2014 Georgia

Orpheus Transmigration of Souls. It was amazing.

38. CoverMePorkins

CoverMePorkins Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012 New Mexico

Agree. After living in Germany for 3 years I came to appreciate well made lagers and The Crisp is a good one. It will be a staple in my fridge.

Mizz likes this.
  39. MarkGamber

MarkGamber Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2013 Pennsylvania

Wachusett Larry. I picked up a six pack in Burlington because a friend back home is "Larry" and then I tried one. Holy crap what a good IPA! I'm hoping to instruct a friend to pick up a case for me next month when he's in Montpelier!

utopiajane and HuskyHawk like this.
  40. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

I had a Harpoon UFO Pumpkin on Sunday. Really enjoyable. Nice beer.

@MarkGamber you are spilling the beans on Larry? The best and cheapest undiscovered IIPA? Stuff is awesome fresh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.