What was your original "at-home" favorite craft beer glass?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, Nov 19, 2019.

1. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,552) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

Joined Beer Advocate in Nov 2010. Month later, got Samuel Adams curvy pint glasses for X-mas gift from my children. Having a SN/Bittberg 2019 Oktoberfest (3mo. old...kinda sad I realize) in it as we speak in 2019 (I've had at least 2-3 new favs since 2010 though for the record). What was your OG favorite at-home consumption glass for drinking craft beers?

2. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,532) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I use various logo shaker pints for 75% of my beers, but 'special' beers go into a gold-logo Toppling Goliath snifter.

3. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Meyvn (1,057) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

I too have the Sam Adams "percect pint" glass. Used that for pretty much anything for many years.
    Since of late been using alot of my snifter glasses for pretty much anything. Yet since of late been using whatever tickles my fancy for pretty much whatever tickles my fancy.
    Joking aside, love my perfect pint and snifter glass. Also can't avoid the classic pub glass as well.

:beers::beers::beers:

4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,913) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Nonics are my jam.

5. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,882) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Ah, you joined too late....Didn't BBC give BeerAdvocates free "Perfect Pint" glasses (where allowed by law)? Maybe it was just subscribers to the magazine? @Todd ?

FBarber and Bitterbill like this.
  6. Bitterbill

Society Trader

SFACRKnight likes this.
  7. PapaGoose03

Society

I think that was for a purchase of Utopias. Offers like that aren't permitted in Michigan, so the beer didn't even come with the coupon that had to be mailed to SA.

8. jesskidden

Society Trader

No, that's a different glass (and something of a sore subject for me...:rage: ... still, ten years later! )

9. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Look at the 4th reply in the link I posted. I know that I didn't get it because I purchased a Utopias.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  10. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,094) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

The Duvel-branded tulip was the first "specialty beer glass" I fell in love with.

Lately it's been the willi becher glass though. My favorite.

11. jesskidden

Society Trader

EDIT - Ha! Just noticed I even mentioned previously getting the free Sam Adams Perfect Pin beer glass in my rant. Also, a hat. Don't remember no free Sam Adams hat. Geez, I hope it wasn't that damn "Painters Hat" they had.

I once got a Utica Club hat, not only was it free but no shipping and handling scam. They just sent me the damn hat. Said "JOIN THE CLUB" on it, using the classic UC font. (I woulda preferred it just said "UTICA CLUB" but, you know "beggars/choosers"...)

12. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,993) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Simple old fashioned Pilsner glass like you’d see in the 60s. Perfect for the style.

admobeer34, Dandrewjohn and Premo88 like this.
  13. DISKORD

DISKORD Disciple (384) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Over-sized Duvel glass is my favorite. Great for almost any style of beer. And you can fit a pint (16 oz) and still have some headroom left.

14. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,094) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

That SA painters hat would go for big bucks at a Brooklyn thrift shop

15. barreldawg

barreldawg Initiate (72) Nov 4, 2015 California

This was my original... had a Samuel Smith's nut brown ale in it nearly 40 years ago:

[​IMG]

More recently, I prefer the tulips and tekus:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (68) Feb 3, 2019 California

First one was the Sam Adams perfect pint glass, and it really is perfect for Lagers. I still use it for that style and sometimes a IPA.

But my favorite is a Teku glass and have alot of them from different breweries, so not a favorite glass per se since I use them all.

For special barrel aged beers, my go-to glass is the Bourbon County glassware.

17. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,301) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

My first go-to glass was a Luminarc stemless wine glass that I got as a freebie at a HyVee holiday show. It's been downhill ever since. Tekus, snifters, snulips, Spiegelaus, Riedels, wooden goblets, silver chalices, ad nauseam...

Premo88 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  18. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,172) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Honestly I drank beer out of bottles and cans until i bought a Michelob seasonal ales and lagers 12 pk mixed., and came with two glasses in 2005. So I'd say those were my first craft glasses. I still have 1 left.

officerbill and Prager62 like this.
  19. PapaGoose03

Society

I think I have those same glasses. Never used them, though.

laketang likes this.
  20. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,660) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Here's my old mug from the 80s, which I found in a box in the garage about a year ago and started using again. Holds at least a half liter plus room for a good head, and has those nicely inward sloping sides. How did I live without it for so long :wink:.
    [​IMG]

21. teal

teal Initiate (92) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

Tulip is what I prefer but use a Lakefront Brewery shaker pint I got from their tour the most.

Got it with an ex-girlfriend and my son. We had spent the day at MobCraft, the Harley museum and Botanas. Lakefront tour was end. Great day. A few months before he left for the Army and just after he graduated high school.

Premo88 and Milktoast75 like this.
  22. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,993) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

That’s a very cool mug.

23. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (13) Nov 5, 2019

It used to be a Duvel glass for the longest time. Now it’s a slightly smaller tulip glass from Brasserie d’Achouffe.

Greywulfken likes this.
  24. Clibb

Clibb Initiate (77) Jun 23, 2013 New Jersey

First was standard pints glasses nicked from bars. Then mostly used a Sierra tulip and dogfish tulip.
    In the past few years I got a set of spieglau glasses (ipa, stout and wheat) that have become my utility glasses.
    “special” beers go in a Teku

25. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Poo-Bah (1,784) Dec 29, 2013 Washington
    Society

Whatever free shaker pint I won at my local bottle shop tasting events. Eventually one was etched at the bottom though which was a nice upgrade :stuck_out_tongue:

26. Oh_Dark_Star

Oh_Dark_Star Meyvn (1,283) Mar 4, 2015 Washington
    Society Trader

Hell yeah. Tulips and Teku's!
    I love my Barrelworks Teku, but for years it was my very similarly shaped Fremont Brewing Tulip.

27. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (228) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

The original? After the darkness, when I became civilized?
    Sierra Nevada shaker pint (I think):sunglasses:

28. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (936) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I had a Anchor Steam glass in the late 70's it's long gone!

Bitterbill and TongoRad like this.
  29. shadyside

shadyside Defender (610) Feb 27, 2011 Georgia
    Society

The Imperial beer glass.

30. monkist

monkist Meyvn (1,136) Dec 7, 2016 Hungary

You might want to cast a stone on me for this but unfortunately it’s a Spiegelau IPA, no matter how “sellout” it may be...
    For “normal” beers, it’s a Sierra shaker pint glass that I reach for.

31. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,879) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

This Snörkel was my first favorite glass that I used for nearly all of my beers for the past few years. I even keep one at my son's house for when I have a beer over there. A few weeks ago, I switched my favorite to be a Simon Pearce Essex Tulip, which holds larger beers and is sturdier.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

32. rgordon

rgordon Savant (994) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Tripel Karmeleit, La Chouffe, Youngs big ol' dimpled mug, and Adnams Imperial pint. I have likely 150 various glasses, much to my wife's chagrin.....

Bitterbill, zid, eppCOS and 2 others like this.
  33. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (437) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

When I first got into Craft beer, all that my buddies and I had were normal pint glasses. Then I got a Nonic Pint, then from there the holy grail that I wanted was a Duvel Glass. I remember getting my first one and I drank every beer out of that glass that I could. From there I aquired some Tulip Glasses which are great and really pretty. I have a unique tulip from Dogfish that I like using every once in a while. 3 years ago I got a Teku Glass which I use mainly today. Next one I want to get is the Willi Becher. My glasses take up half of 2 cabinets at home and the wife is starting to complain. I think I may build a shelf for them downstairs next to my brew system.

Greywulfken and Premo88 like this.
  34. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (1,844) Jun 18, 2010 New York

I have a pair of Ommegang tulip glasses I bought at the brewery that I use for many styles. Other than that, my Prairie oversized snifter glass and the Sam Adams Perfect Pint are generally the go to glasses. Which is kinda sad, given how much glassware I have versus what I actually use.

JediMasterLenin likes this.
  35. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,049) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Still have it, a Shaker Pint glass from Portsmouth (NH) Brewing, ca 1992.
    My Waterloo Brewing (Austin) glass, ca 1993-94, is not far behind (still have that too!). Alas, Waterloo met its... Waterloo a while ago.

JediMasterLenin likes this.
  36. seakayak

seakayak Defender (675) May 20, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

This was my first real craft beer glass:

[​IMG]

But, this is my all-time favorite craft beer glass:

[​IMG]

denver10, desint, Premo88 and 3 others like this.
  37. Foyle

Foyle Savant (936) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

38. kitekid

kitekid Disciple (387) Mar 3, 2017 California
    Society

being from Chico I'm pretty sure my first craft beer glass was a SN shaker.
    theses days my go to is a plain jane nonic despite having over 150 different logoed beer glasses

Premo88 likes this.
  39. TheEpeeist

TheEpeeist Devotee (445) Nov 5, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Gulden Draak stemmed tulip.

when i started drinking good beer i searched for the big Duvel tulip but couldn't find one. settled on the GD and use for most beers when i use a glass. almost wore all the gold off the rim but it has served me well. i have about 3 dozen nonics which i'll break out for friends and a few chalices for quads.

still have a few Lost Abbey Sinner's club Teku's which i never unpacked.

40. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,631) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

My original "at-home" craft beer glass was a water glass I already had. I had slightly inward-sloping sides, and was partly clear (it had a leaf pattern), so it worked. Soon, however, I bought a set of Imperial pint glasses, the so-called tulip pints (I will use the term "tulip pint" in this post to mean this glass. Just "tulip" means what everyone else means by "tulip")

[​IMG]

These days, I have a decent collection of glassware for different beer styles. In addition to the tulip pints, I have:
    Branded tulip pint glasses (2 Guinness "gravity", 1 Smithwick's)
    Nonic pint glasses (Imperial size)
    Tulip glasses (3 Imperial size, 1 16 oz size)
    Weizen glasses
    Footed pilsener glasses
    Pilsner glasses (not footed)
    Branded Belgian chalices
    Branded 0.5l Maßkrug (i.e. seidel)
    16 oz goblets
    plus other random beer glasses - shakers, can-shaped, etc., mostly branded

I will usually use the style-appropriate glassware.

tzieser and Amendm like this.