What was your "premium beer" before you discovered craft?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TylerKitchens

TylerKitchens Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2014 Massachusetts

Highschool: anything that wasn't Keystone/Natty Light/Busch light, so Bud Light or Bud was a treat

College: Fat Tire, Yuengling, Guinness, Blue Moon (with the goddamn orange), and Sweetwater 420

2. PostRockandCats

PostRockandCats Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2014 Florida

Same, but I'll still happily drink it. Beats an Adjunct Larger any day of the week for me. Sometimes a lighter larger isn't a bad thing. :slight_smile:

3. Dan269605

Dan269605 Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2013 Connecticut

Bass, Newcastle, Smithwicks, Guinness

4. G_Z_a

G_Z_a Initiate (190) Feb 2, 2015 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Whoa. I remember that stuff. I was too young for that, but my dad drank it all the time. One of his favorites in the 80's. He drank it out of a can though.

5. Shoney_35

Shoney_35 Initiate (185) Sep 6, 2013 Ohio

When I was in college I used to think I was pretty special when I got my hands on Molson XXX....boy was I misguided.

6. KurtisR

KurtisR Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2013 Ontario (Canada)

Canadian, Alexander Keith's, Rickard's Red/White

7. BerBen

BerBen Aspirant (260) Feb 11, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

lienenkugels

8. lovethebelgians

lovethebelgians Initiate (176) Apr 25, 2013 Illinois

yuengling and blue moon

9. Trautwein09

Trautwein09 Initiate (169) Mar 25, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Becks, Molson, Hoegaarden, Stella and of course.... Girl on the moon!! (still enjoy while golfing)

10. sixa66

sixa66 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Florida

I remember having Honey Brown at a college party on Halloween in 2004, I thought it was delicious!

To the OP I would say probably Miller Lite, Bud Light and St. Pauli Girl.

11. akrz47

akrz47 Aspirant (220) May 31, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Ah, Rolling Rock...those were the days...

12. InsuranceGuy

InsuranceGuy Aspirant (275) Nov 9, 2011 Delaware
    Beer Trader

Agreed - if it's between Yuengling or a macro, I'll take Yuenging every time.

PostRockandCats likes this.
  13. oso4life

oso4life Initiate (50) May 22, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

For relaxing and having a beer it was Heineken, Sam Ad or New Castle.

If you wanted to chug then my weapon of choice was Corona because it's the closest thing to water that's considered beer.

14. sixa66

sixa66 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Florida

Yuengling is a good beer, when I lived in Florida I typically had a few in the fridge.

15. stonermouse

stonermouse Devotee (487) Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I used to think I was the coolest shit in college drinking Heineken Dark. I still maintain that it's a pretty good brew.

16. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (454) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Have you tried St. Pauli Girl Dark?

17. weltywm

weltywm Disciple (362) Jul 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

18. G_Z_a

G_Z_a Initiate (190) Feb 2, 2015 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Special Export and Jacob's Best were a few more that were big in Wisconsin along with Andeker in that time period.

19. 2_Beardz

2_Beardz Aspirant (227) Apr 4, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

when i was in college, i wanna say mine was amber bock

20. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (441) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

That is a tough one... Once I turned 21 six years ago I was always buying and trying different beers and never really had a single type/brand on hand. I remember Dogfish being one of the first breweries I really drank pretty often starting out. Great Lakes as well.

21. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Savant (964) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Beer Trader

I remember first paying attention to beer in the mid to late 70s. The earliest lagers that seemed a little special were Pilsner Urquell and Cold Spring (MN), both brought into the Seattle area by the same local importer. But I rapidly figured out I liked beers a little darker. So my earliest go-to premium beer was the old "Green Death", Rainier Ale (which even Michael Jackson gave a nod to). After that, Dos Equis (amber, of course) and Anchor Steam, which was also fairly easy to get in Seattle at that time. The first microbrewers in our area came along about a decade later.

22. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,908) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Newcastle Brown Ale

23. Vonerichs

Vonerichs Poo-Bah (1,641) Sep 1, 2008 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Killian's Red.

24. krome

krome Meyvn (1,129) Aug 1, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

25. LittleDog

LittleDog Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

I paid tuition for a semester in Dublin. Three of the fellows who paid for that class are still my best friends. We drank the goodness out of our Guinness. We also had the foresight to drink with the professor at every opportunity. Perhaps related to that, we all passed that class. I cannot really envision any other reason.

26. a77cj7

a77cj7 Meyvn (1,205) May 7, 2010 South Dakota
    Beer Trader

Boston Lager and Fat Tire, occasionally something from Leinie.

27. Chinaskifan1

Chinaskifan1 Aspirant (202) Nov 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

Definitely Bass Ale on import night at the local pub, or Michelob Dry.

28. NotreDame7

NotreDame7 Initiate (125) May 22, 2008 Illinois

Played slow pitch for a little neighborhood joint in the late 70's. Their beer menu included: Schlitz on tap, Schlitz in 7 oz, 12 oz and 16 oz cans and Schlitz in 7 oz, 12 oz and 32 oz bottles. So I guess I'd have to go with Schlitz as my first "premium"!

snohojimbo likes this.
  29. Eziel

Eziel Champion (871) Jan 31, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Sierra Nevada and Guinness. I do remember the days of only finding Yuengling in PA and being happy when someone brought a couple 6 packs this way! Ha...

30. imbibehour

imbibehour Poo-Bah (6,532) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Hanging out At Churchkey

[​IMG]
    Sainte Helene - Gypsy Rose

31. imbibehour

imbibehour Poo-Bah (6,532) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Sorry guys wrong thread (and I can't delete it either) and sorry I should say ladies also :wink:

#191 imbibehour, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    utopiajane likes this.
  32. dogbert617

dogbert617 Initiate (143) Jan 6, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Very early 20s(and yes, some rare pre-21 drinking): Rolling Rock(recently retried it, and while it isn't the best beer ever for my more refined standards today, at least it is a small step up from say, Bud/Miller Light), Corona, Heineken(blech today), Blue Moon(w/orange slice, lol), Foster's(another blech)
    Mid 20s: Guiness, Hoegaarden, Sam Adams, Leinenkugel, New Glarus Spotted Cow(mainly since it was my 1st ever NG beer, and it was a novelty at the time for me before later discovering their other beers which I prefer)
    Late 20s(around the time I begun to really experiment w/drinking craft beer): Bell's(any beer from them, but particularly Two Hearted Ale), La Fin du Monde, Tripel Karmeliet(latter 2 were because I was turned on to those, by spotting a friend drinking them)

33. stwok21

stwok21 Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

newcastle and heineken

34. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Devotee (452) Apr 17, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I used to kill Samuel Smith's Taddy Porters.....mmmmmm

dogbert617 likes this.
  35. FinchSCF

FinchSCF Aspirant (286) Aug 22, 2013 Michigan

Like a lot of others it was Guiness and Blue Moon - and, even better, the Eclipse, which was a black and tan of those two. Haven't had one of those in a while but sure wouldn't turn one down these days!

36. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (456) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

My first beer ever was a Coors Light, but when I "started" to get more into beer I would order Heineken because I thought it was more bitter and had more flavor, then eventually went to Sam Adams Boston lager and shortly thereafter 90 Minute IPA, lol.

37. Beer-Revelry

Beer-Revelry Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2015 Texas

Dos Equis and Landshark -__-

38. Redneckwine

Redneckwine Aspirant (282) Dec 3, 2013 Washington

Blue Moon was the shit, orange slice mandatory. I maintain it's a pretty decent beer, if a bit sweet, and wouldn't be ashamed to order one in a pinch (sans orange slice).

Newcastle Brown and Boston Lager were also particularly high-brow at the time :grinning: (SABL still rocks, but Newcastle is junk).

39. BodiesLexus

BodiesLexus Disciple (304) Feb 23, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Molson and Killians ....... these were acres above Beast and Keystone ......... Dundee HoneyBrown was a treat too.

40. doppletheGOAT

doppletheGOAT Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2012 Texas

Michelob Lager, I thought that bottle was so fancy and then it was the occasional Shiner bock and Heineken. Of course I had no idea that Shiner bock was actually considered a craft beer but I always thought it was the best "tasting" beer around.

I laugh at these beers today. Although I do think Shiner Bock is still a nice session beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.