What Were The Beers Of Your Youth?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by crispysdad, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmeriCanadian

AmeriCanadian Meyvn (1,065) Jul 5, 2014 Tennessee

Growing up in Vancouver, our primary high school beers were Labatt Genuine Draft ("LGD") and, when we were feeling fancy, John Labatt Classic. Mix in some O'Keefe Extra Old Stock, Kokanee, and good (really bad) old Molson Canadian, and you probably account for 99% of our beer consumption as "kids" in the late 80s, early 90s.

2. Tmwright7

Tmwright7 Initiate (117) Feb 3, 2015 Pennsylvania

Keystone Light. Grandma loved that stuff. Grandma also liked sharing that stuff.

RedhawkPoke and IDABEERGUY like this.
  3. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (7,354) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

For me: Schlitz, Narragansett, Rheingold, Balintines, Black Label, Bud......

Cheers!

4. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

Keystone Light
    Mickeys
    Coors Light
    Heineken

SFACRKnight and IDABEERGUY like this.
  5. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,778) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

more exciting... that's 'Granny'
    [​IMG]

6. beerluvr

beerluvr Meyvn (1,232) Jan 2, 2001 Canada (ON)
    Trader

I'm 53 here. When I started drinking beer on a regular basis (pre-Micro/Craft) it was the usual suspects: BMC, Rolling Rock & the like. But whenever I'd go to buy beer I would see what else was 'out there' and soon graduated to Hansa, Tolly Ale, Monchshof, Hacker-Pchorr, Pilsner Urquell & similar brands. As soon as micros were becoming available (early-mid 80's) my friends and I jumped right on that bandwagon and never looked back.

TongoRad likes this.
  7. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Back in the late 60's and early 70's my beer of choice was Rheingold. This was not because it tasted better than other beers It was because. because it was sold in a short fat large mouthed bottle call a Chug-A-Mug.

nc41, ceeg, LuskusDelph and 2 others like this.
  8. stingley

stingley Initiate (112) Sep 21, 2013 Pennsylvania

Not quite 50... Few years to go. I was stealing sips as early as the late 70s. Back then it was the usual suspects... Bud, Miller, Stroh's. One particularly fond memory is my cousin and I when we were probably about 15ish asked if we could split a can of Bud at Grandma's Christmas dinner. That one can turned into at least a six pack. Good times! The first beer I bought at a store was actually on my 21st birthday (1990)... Six pack of Bud Light.

Today 80% of my consumption is Southern Tier IPA. I do still like and drink Miller High Life. MHL was my go to before the craft beer explosion.

Fun thread.... Cheers and Hoppy Friday!!

9. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,200) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I just turned 30 in December....of course I started off drinking the usual mass market swill (and I still do on occasion) but here is a depressing list of "microbrews" I enjoyed in the late 2000s. I say it's a depressing list only because the majority of these beers are no longer producedand I miss them dearly)
    ===================================================

Buzzards Bay Brewing (back when they were focused on lagers....they were way ahead of the times IMO. Wish they would go back to brewing great lagers):
    -Olde Buzzard Lager
    -Pilsner
    -Maibock
    -Black Lager

Long Trail:
    -Hefeweizen
    -Hit the Trail Ale
    -Hibernator
    -Pollenator
    -Blackberry Wheat (yes I know it is still made locally but it doesn't see the distribution it used to)

Magic Hat:
    -Roxy Rolles
    -Jinx
    -Hocus Pocus

Sam Adams:
    -Double Bock (the old version)
    -Alpine Spring
    -Spring Ale

Misc:
    -Haffenreffer Private Stock
    -Middle Ages Grail Ale
    -Newport Storm Kim (Cyclone series)
    -Rogue Brutal Bitter (the ESB version....I have no idea why they merged these reviews with the IPA)

This makes me sad for some reason.

Aaaaaand now I understand why they don't make it anymore:slight_frown::grinning:

#49 tzieser, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    papposilenus likes this.
  10. KCUnited

KCUnited Aspirant (210) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I'm 40. I listened to a lot of rap in the 90's, so Old E, King Cobra, Colt 45, St Ides. I really had no idea what I was doing.

#50 KCUnited, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    SFACRKnight and bret717 like this.
  11. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (10,258) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Very early 1990s - I'm closing in on my mid-40s...

Going to college in upstate NY, at parties it was mostly:
    - Molson Ice
    - Molson Export Ale
    - Labatt Ice
    - Labatt Blue
    - Molson XXX (whenever we went over the border to Quebec)

Once I started working in the campus pub, it was:
    - Guinness (Nitro Cans or Nitro Draft)
    - Bass Pale Ale
    - Newcastle Brown Ale
    - Sam Adams Boston Lager
    - Catamount Pale Ale
    - Catamount Porter
    - Occasional German brews (Pinkus, Dinkel, Schneider)

SFACRKnight likes this.
  12. bret717

bret717 Champion (829) Dec 8, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

In high school (early 90s), it was mainly Goebel's, MGD, Mickey's and Colt 45 with some Bass or Newcastle when I was feeling "fancy." College was more malt liquor (Olde E and Crazy Horse), Pabst and Jacob's Best, with a smattering of Microbrews that the local bar had on tap. Can't even remember what most of them were now, except for Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. That was first beer that made me say "wow."

SFACRKnight and VABA like this.
  13. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Newcastle
    Guinness
    Sacramento Brewing Company Red Horse Ale, IPA, Imperial Stout, Imperial Red, Sacsquatch, Independence DIPA

Racer 5

SFACRKnight likes this.
  14. BeerBobber

BeerBobber Crusader (700) Nov 23, 2015 Nevada

I used to take a few of my dad's Coors here and there. When I had a good stash built up, say like a 12 pack, my friend used to stay over and we would build models and drink beer all night. With a few shots of Wild Turkey from a classic decanter my dad had left to go to dust in the basement.
    My fondest beer memory though is when my best friend, and later best man at my wedding, were re building an AMC 360 for his 1972 Javelin that had a puny 304. We rebuilt that 360 and pulled the 304 putting the 360 in it's place. This was of course during numerous runs to the store over the frigid Colorado days for cases of those stubby Mickeys big mouth bottles. Man that beer was cheap and it was cold as hell while we worked on that car.
    My friend committed suicide just a few years back but I will always have many memories. Cheers!

SFACRKnight likes this.
  15. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Meyvn (1,114) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I was 10-11. My Dad always always had a beer before dinner and one with dinner. It was Meister Brau, always poured into his pilsner glass. If I ate my vegetables he would let me have a sip.

High school years it was Schlitz, Strohs or Old Style.

I joined the Air National Guard in 68, my way of avoiding the Southeast Asia War Games. I went to tech school in in Texas and on weekends several of us would head head to the "Airmans Club" and we'd drink Lone Star 3-2. Talk about nasty assed stuff.

When I became "legal" it was Leines Red, Heineken or Grolsch.

At some point Petes Wicked Ale popped up, the Sam Adams and away we went.

Still trying new beers, but my go to is Old Rasputin.

Oh yeah, coming up on 67.

bret717 likes this.
  16. YamBag

YamBag Initiate (191) Feb 2, 2007 Pennsylvania

No Golden Monkey

17. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Zealot (501) Jan 8, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Graduated high school in Delaware, lived in Pennsylvania, but the premium beer for us was a Lager (Yuengling). This was 2000-2002 (my junior and senior years of HS). If we could somehow get some Lager, it was great. Fast forward 15 years, I live in Indiana, and Yuengling just started distro to Indiana like a week ago. Still haven't had one in 10 or so years.

18. akolb

akolb Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2015 Colorado
    Deactivated

I'm still young (23), but my dad is a craft beer drinker. So for me it was stealing bottles of Redhook ESB and Long Hammer IPA, Boston Lager, as well as imports like Heineken, Beck's, Dos Equis, and the like. Of course when I was a teen I thought that Redhook ESB was horribly bitter and Long Hammer nearly undrinkable! Haven't had a beer from Redhook in 5 or 6 years, but I fondly remember them.

TheDoctor and zid like this.
  19. jbarletto

jbarletto Disciple (348) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts

High School (late 90s) whatever we could get our hands on of course - but I remember a lot of Bud Light/Heavy/Ice, MGD, Miller High Life, Rolling Rock. If we had some $ it was Sam Adams Boston Lager

College (early 2000s) - Natty Light, Keystone, PBR, High Life. If we had some $ my go-to were Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Pilsner Urquell

20. notnice_75

notnice_75 Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2017 Iowa

When I was a lad...1980s in Thatcher's Britain...school lunchtimes down the Rose & Crown or The Farmer's Boy, fish fingers, beans and chips, and half pints of Timothy Taylor's Landlord, little bottles of Lowenbrau, John Smith's, Theakston's and plenty of local cask bitter. Not bad, really.

21. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,994) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Funny how they never put the Lowenbrau Dark in those little bottles; it seemed like it would've been a natural for that format.

22. OKbrew89

OKbrew89 Crusader (785) May 13, 2013 Oklahoma

I'm 27 and didn't drink till 19, so I started drinking in the craft beer boom. I had Coor's Light in college since I started college in Colorado, and kept Fat Tire and Stella Artois in my fridge before I had a good beer budget.

23. woodchipper

woodchipper Poo-Bah (1,539) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

I'm very close to the poster in age, turned 59 last month. I remember by father and 12-year-older brother drinking Schaefer in the mid-60's. Boy I thought that beer was cool then.
    1. When I was 16 I pretty much drank Bud, but my friends and I experimented with "exotic" beers, Hafen-Wiesen (graphic puzzles on the cap), Heineken (not proud of that). Vaguely remember some trials of Reingold, Black Label, bla bla bla.
    2. College was pretty much Bud and Bud light, with splurges into Michelob (boy it hurts to write that).
    3. Early 20's (still my youth as far as I'm concerned) there were brief periods of Amstel, Labatt's, Narragansett culminating in Sam's which pretty much was the true gateway drug to where I am now (but I almost never drink it anymore, sorry Jim, too many options, thank's for the pioneering though).

TongoRad likes this.
  24. IDABEERGUY

IDABEERGUY Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2013 Idaho

Born and raised in Pittsburgh it was without question Iron City Beer!! Remember getting 16 oz. cases of returnable bottles with glass about 1/4 an inch thick on the bottles, the case it self was made from some kind of super cardboard, almost like wood. Damn things weighed about 60 lbs. when full! Also drank some IC Light, Genny Cream Ale, Strohs, Rolling Rock amount others. But the vast majority was Iron City, they started making 30 packs in the mid to late 80' s which was nice.....

TonyLema1, LuskusDelph and VABA like this.
  25. 67couple

67couple Aspirant (248) Jan 31, 2006 South Carolina
    Trader

High school whatever quart(old enough to predate the 40) we could get

College: Schmidt long neck bottles $5 a case in the Hawkeye state

26. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,045) Aug 16, 2009 North Carolina

only 24 but remember doing yard work as a kid and getting Red Dog, Amstel Light and Coors Light out of the fridge for my dad. i was probably 12ish when i first tasted beer and it was so bitter i hated it.

wasn't until i was 17 when i first got drunk on prom weekend in Wildwood (i didn't even go to prom, my friend and his gf+her friends all went but i went to the house we rented for the weekend)

ahh college
    -Natty Light
    -Red Stripe
    -Genny Cream
    -GLBC Dortmunder Gold

27. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Poo-Bah (1,784) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Shit, you retired Dave? You seemed to love your job so much I thought you may do it forever. Cheers to your retirement.

On the topic at hand, I usually drank anything I could come by, but for my bang and taste I was always a 30 rack of Stones.

28. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,102) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Thanks for the kind words. Cheers to you as well!

If it wasn't for my love of the job, and all my customers, and trying to hit a personal goal of pulling 1,000,000 lbs. of recycling from the MSW stream (Municipal Solid Waste) during my career I would have retired last year. It was a hard decision but that time comes to all of us when we realize we aren't physically capable to do things properly, and I hit it.

29. h4ger

h4ger Zealot (509) Feb 5, 2011 Connecticut
    Trader

Pops was a Rolling Rock fan and always had a few cases around and sometimes a case would just roll out the basement window (Hence the name) Two 17 year old kids walking down a suburban street with a case of Rolling rock @ 6:30 PM on a summer evening....yeah that's not obvious LOL
    Bud of course...
    Whatever Grand Union sold (Beck's St. Pauli's, etc...)
    Michelob was a decent beer to pair with food
    Meister Brau was the cheap option from Cumberland Farms if we didn't get carded,
    Molson Golden and Labatt's Blue were standards
    Some Grolsch (Free Bone Stones!) or the little Dinkel Aker kegs thrown in ...those were cool ...
    The occasional Green Death (Haffenreffer)
    Standard early to mid 80's fare

#69 h4ger, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  30. IPA1978

IPA1978 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2009 Missouri

Bud ice, we hid a 24 pack in behind a friend's house in the summer for a week or so and it went skunky but no one seemed to mind.

31. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (2,017) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

drank golden monkey in my youth but didn't love it like the two I mentioned. I appreciate it a lot more nowadays when I do have it.

32. pro100

pro100 Initiate (112) Oct 12, 2014 California

MGD
    Mickey's
    King Cobra
    Ole English 800

33. GregA135

GregA135 Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2014 Pennsylvania

Back to the good days at IUP

Miller Lite
    Bud Light
    Lionshead
    Natty Ice
    Moosehead (on a good day at the fraternity)
    Keystone Light
    IC Light (still drink it)
    MGD
    High Life

22 y/o - 24 y/o

Sam Adams
    DFH
    21st Amendment

34. darktain

darktain Initiate (136) Dec 1, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Cinci Cream(in a bottle)....who didn't love the handsome waiter:stuck_out_tongue:
    Labatts
    Molson Canadian
    Killian's

35. jonb5

jonb5 Meyvn (1,240) May 11, 2010 England

Late 90's early 2000's, partly in England, partly Germany.

Becks, Stella, 1664, Fosters. An occasional Bud Ice if someone had done a PX run.

36. hoagzzz

hoagzzz Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2014 Pennsylvania

I'm 47 YO, started drinking the usual about Age 16.. Miller high life, Miller genuine draft, bud regular. As I got more sophisticated around age 19, labatts blue, lowenbrau, moosehead and Grizzly (yes.. Grizzly!) were the high end choices.

37. singletary

singletary Devotee (459) Nov 8, 2015 Mississippi

I am 56 now but the first one was Miller High Life , later Miller Lite and then it was Bud Light. Stopped for about 10 years then started back into the craft beers.

38. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Rolling Rock primarily, but back in the day a good many bars only had Bud and Schaefer on tap. You might find the odd one that had Schlitz, high end would be Heineken or Michelob, but there were hard to find. Closer to Philly you'd find Schmidts or Ortliebs.

bret717 likes this.
  39. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Champion (858) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

I'm 67 so:

Schlitz Malt Liquor
    Rheingold Extra Dry
    Schmidts
    Genesee Cream Ale
    Strohs
    Pabst Blue Ribbon
    Rolling Rock

Fuck Budweiser

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  40. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Beers of my youth, mid to late 90s, was basically anything cheap, Mickey's, King Cobra, Old English, Natty Light and Ice, then I had my first Guinness Extra Stout, Redhook ESB, and Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, along the way there was Budweiser that I still drink every now and then.

bret717, VABA and SFACRKnight like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.