What were you drinking in the 90s (i.e. before hops got big)?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by StJamesGate, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mersh

Mersh Mar 10, 2013 Connecticut

Guinness
    Sam Adams
    Red Hook
    Long Trail
    Magic Hat
    Pete's Wicked

2. Zimbo

Zimbo Aug 7, 2010 Scotland

90s? Lots of cask ale, various SN, Anchor, Grants , Pike and Rogue (I know I know...) and towards the end of that not so great decade --wine.

TongoRad likes this.
  3. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Even back then I enjoyed a fair number of hoppy beers. Imperial IPAs weren't really available (at least in the Midwest), but I gravitated towards Anchor Liberty, SNPA, Summit Extra Pale, Sam Smiths IPA, Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout, and lots of Point and Huber in the stubby returnable bottles when we couldn't afford the good stuff.

Chaz likes this.
  4. paulys55

paulys55 Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

Guinness, Bass, Sierra Nevada offerings, Pete's Wicked Ale, Yuengling Porter and Black & Tan, Killians. Not sure if there just wasn't anything else out there in my area or if that stuff was all I had access to at the time as I was just a young buck in those days:wink:

5. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Feb 27, 2005 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Mostly Fat Tire and Dales Pale Ale.

6. Benish

Benish Mar 13, 2013 Utah
    Trader

Had a Miller in my lunch bag everyday in grade school. So many kids offered to trade me fruit roll-up/Little Debbie snacks for this.

JohnQ, Gatch and saucy626 like this.
  7. Boto

Boto Apr 26, 2003 Connecticut

Pete's Wicked, Summer & Winter
    Sam Adams (various)
    Guinness
    Yuengling Lager
    Celis White
    Redhook ESB
    Hartford Brewing (defunct local brewpub)
    Goose Island Honkers Ale (spent a lot of time near Chicago)
    Couple of others from long defunct breweries.

8. flexabull

flexabull Mar 9, 2006 California
    Society

Anything by Sierra Nevada. Pale, Porter, Stout, Bigfoot, Pale Bock (I miss that one), and Celebration.
    Pyramid Hefe
    Widmer Hefe
    Redhook ESB and Ballard Bitter. (I liked that Stout with Starbucks coffee too)
    I enjoyed Killian's Irish Red too.

There were many others, but these were my favs.

9. Paccamacca

Paccamacca Sep 15, 2012 California
    Trader

A hell of a lot of Guinness, Kronenbourg and Carlsberg Special Brew!

10. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Sep 21, 2012 Texas

We had highly limited selection in the Dallas area back then. Most stores carried zero craft options -- maybe SNPA and Fat Tire -- so I drank lots of BMC. Plus I was in college in the late 90s and that's what you did. I did get into Sam Adams, Newcastle, Shiner, Fat Tire, Bass at the time. Those led me down the right path.

11. FTowne

FTowne Jan 27, 2012 Missouri

OE 800 40 ouncers
    MD 20/20 -The blue stuff that looked like Windex
    Cisco- When it was still sold in 40 ouncers
    Brass Monkey
    Boone's Farm- Drink it down to the bottom of the neck, stuff in some fresh fruit, and top off with Everclear. a.k.a. Mind Eraser

crushedvol likes this.
  12. Chaz

Chaz Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Seems to be 1996 when hops were invented, but I've forgotten a lot of what I was drinking back then -- no doubt due to the combined effect of all the malted hops and bong resin. :sunglasses:

Edit: I drank the heck out of the Meister Brau in returnables (great for all that home-brewed I.P.A. and Brown Ale).

13. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

Almost exclusively homebrew unless I was traveling. Back then I brewed British styled ales, mostly stouts and ESB.

14. Jason

Jason Founder Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Society

Many forget that there were "hoppy" beers in the NE in the 1990's, you just had to look for them. Here is a handful of what I would seek out:

Beer Works Back Bay IPA
    Beer Works Hercules Strong Ale
    Harpoon IPA (used to have more a prominent hop character)
    North East Brewing Co Lobsterback IPA
    Catamount Brewing Company Christmas Ale
    Castle Springs Brewing Company Lucknow IPA
    Brew Moon Improper Hopper IPA

TongoRad likes this.
  15. spedprof

spedprof Dec 13, 2011 West Virginia

Pete's Wicked Ale
    Any Sam Adams
    Bass
    Guinness
    Honey Brown
    West Virginia Brewing Company craft beer

16. Starkbier

Starkbier Sep 19, 2002 Maryland

Oh we had hops back then! Just fewer varieties used. I drank a lot of DeGroens Pils, Tuppers Hop Pocket Ale and of course my own New American Ale made with CFJ90, which became Centennial. Interesting note, Tuppers arose since at the time Bob Tupper found it irritating that we had to wait once a year for SN Celebration to be released. And in the late 80s, there was Oxford Class and Wild Goose (pre-Frederick days).

TongoRad and herrburgess like this.
  17. Gatch

Gatch Nov 29, 2006 Massachusetts
    Society

Juiceboxes. And Yoohoo. And that colored sugar water in little barrel-shaped containers.

beerme411 likes this.
  18. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Oh yeah, I forgot about Beer Works - used to go to the one in Salem all the time when a friend lived down the street.

19. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Oh yeah, I had forgotten that I used to be able to get Sam Smith's as well (heck I even had imperial pint glasses from them in the mid-1990s).

20. Cboat

Cboat Jun 6, 2012 California

Anchor Steam! and SNPA! with an occasional SN Celebration, or w.e. else my dad let me sip (90 kid.) which was always pretty good

21. bleakies

bleakies Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I grew up in California. My last years there I was drinking lots of beer from a couple of newfangled local brewpubs, SNPA, Anchor (Liberty, Porter, and Steam), and Guinness/Bass black and tans.

Then I moved to Boston in 1994, and set to drinking lots and lots of Harpoon IPA*, a bit of Sam Adams Boston Ale, and Guinness/Bass black and tans.

*Though it's now a very tame IPA compared to many others, it was quite nicely hoppy for the era.

22. mgross50

mgross50 Apr 15, 2004 New York

Special Brew .... wow ... Strong Like a BULL!

Paccamacca likes this.
  23. aty11b

aty11b Mar 25, 2013 Texas

milk, juice and the occasional Soda pop if my father let me.. ahh im a youngster :slight_frown: .

beerme411 likes this.
  24. GeezLynn

GeezLynn May 10, 2009 Colorado

Good memories! I remember once a month (Full Moon Day?), the Rhino would put all their 50 something taps on dirt cheap to clear everything out and start fresh again.

The Top Hat (Hippy Heaven) also had all you can drink nights with live music. Was always a zoo. I remember drinking lots and lots of Mirror Pond, Black Butte, Moose Drool, and Fat Tire. Some others that come to mind are Winterhook, Olde Bongwater, Fresh Bongwater, Pyramid?, Black Star (Great Northern Brewing) and Bayern Octoberfest. Celebration Ale was a big deal back then.

25. Gatch

Gatch Nov 29, 2006 Massachusetts
    Society

Not judging by your avatar! Seriously, though. Awesome avatar. I remember the days of A/S/L fondly.

aty11b likes this.
  26. mynie

mynie Jun 22, 2004 Maryland
    Society

I was born in 1983 and lived in Iowa, but I was lucky enough to have begun wanting to drink right as the very first out-of-state craft beers were coming into stores around me. My first non-BMC beer, other than Guinness, was Rogue's Dead Guy, and then Flying Dog's Doggy Style was my first relatively hoppy beer.

I remember getting into an argument with a friend of mine because he could not conceive of any beer being worth 6 bucks a sixer. Good times...

27. aty11b

aty11b Mar 25, 2013 Texas

I am really glad you get it lol. My buddy showed this picture to me (no its not really me of course) and thought it would be the perfect avatar pic for BA

Gatch likes this.
  28. gentlystewed

gentlystewed Dec 12, 2010 Georgia

Guiness
    Bass--that stuff sucks now.
    Sam Adams
    Becks
    Newcastle
    Molson

29. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Early to mid 90s: German imports, RedHook ESB & IPA, local brewpubs' beers that are long gone.
    Mid to late 90s: New Belgium (barrels of Fat Tire, literally), Sierra Nevada beers as I began to love hops, then Magic Hat beers when I moved to New England.

yemenmocha likes this.
  30. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Nov 22, 2007 Washington
    Deactivated

Zima w/ a Jolly Rancher

Vitacca likes this.
  31. Vitacca

Vitacca Sep 15, 2010 Montana
    Society Trader

I feel that I lost a lot of brain cells in that era...let me think.
    SNPA
    Anchor Steam
    Fat Tire
    Sunshine Wheat
    Pete's Wicked
    Bass
    Harp
    Newcastle
    Hennepin
    I'm sure there's more. I also drank a shit load of Miller Red. Anyone remember that stuff?

32. unclekeith

unclekeith Sep 4, 2012 Alaska
    Deactivated

I had many of the beers already listed, but some others from my collage daze in Pennsatucky:
    - Rhino Chaser
    - Dock Street
    - Harpoon
    - Nueweiler Black & Tan
    - Pike Place
    - Hop Devil keg - bought this when I accepted my 1st job after college (1996) - a very sloppy night :slight_smile:

33. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Sad to say I never looked too far beyond what my favorite restaurants at the time were carrying. At restaurants, I usually ordered Hacker Pschorr and Franziskaner Hefeweissen at new American restaurants or Negra Modelo at Mexican restaurants. If I purchased beer to drink at home, it was Pete's Wicked Ale, Bass or Leinenkugels. In the late 90s, I was making frequent trips to Toronto where I was introduced to Sleeman's Honey Brown and Cream Ales. I was also very pleased with Rickard's Red with a shot of lime cordial. :grimacing:

34. FEUO

FEUO Jul 24, 2012 Canada (ON)

Carlsberg, Fosters, Molson OV, Molson Ex, Labatt Blue, Keith's.... then I found Unibroue in the late 90's... thank goodness for Maudite.

35. JulianC

JulianC Mar 9, 2012 Illinois

Killian's Red
    Samuel Adams
    Newcastle
    Hacker Pschorr
    Bass

later 90s started getting more into local craft,
    Sprecher
    New Glarus
    and then I think I drank this as a go to for a couple years...

[​IMG]

36. Miruguy

Miruguy Nov 22, 2010 California

All the normal suspects: Anchor, Sierra, Grants, Anderson Valley, Mendicino, St. Stans, Pike's, but then around '94 I was introduced to the super hoppy beers from places like Blind Pig and Pizza Port (at the time it was only Solana Beach), and never looked back.

37. Paccamacca

Paccamacca Sep 15, 2012 California
    Trader

I was living in London at the time so whenever we went to watch cricket there was a four can maximum allowance that you could bring into the ground, so obviously we took the strongest canned lager we could find.
    Worryingly, I developed a bit of a taste for it...

38. azorie

azorie Mar 18, 2006 Florida

Funny thing that list, is about the same stuff I still drink..... well except for the boon

I drank SN PA allot. Petes wicked a lot more than SN. any porters I could find.

TongoRad likes this.
  39. Rutager

Rutager Oct 18, 2010 Canada (BC)

40. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo May 30, 2011 Alaska
    Deactivated

gin and vodka at different times

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.