What Wet Hop Beers Are You Looking Forward To?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by honkey, Aug 8, 2018.

1. honkey

honkey Zealot (526) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Premium

We're not far away from wet hop beers coming available. With them right around the corner, which beers are you looking forward to the most?

2. Sinzanasti

Sinzanasti Initiate (160) Apr 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Fremont Cowiche Canyon and Columbus Yakima Fresh

3. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (124) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona

Chasin' Freshies and Born Yesterday are the ones I can always count on. Sierra Nevada's Wet Hop pack was awesome this year, and I hope they release it again. Plus, I always keep my eye out for Wet Hop beers from breweries I like. If I'm in the Midwest at the right time I always like BrooDoo from Three Floyds as well.

Oh, and yours, assuming you're doing them again this year.

RutgersBeerGuy and honkey like this.
  4. honkey

Premium

Born Yesterday last year was the only wet hop beer I found in Bisbee. Luckily I love that beer.

We will be brewing wet hop beers again. I think two IPA's and a Pale Ale if I remember correctly. The first two will use Amarillo in the whirlpool, one of which will be dry hopped with wet Comet and Citra, the other one will be dry hopped with Mosaic and Simcoe. The third beer will use wet El Dorado in the whirlpool and will be dry hopped with wet Idaho 7.

5. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,260) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

I enjoyed Born Yesterday a lot and Founders Harvest Ale

Cool that your making some batches, cannot wait to sample them if they make it up to Phoenix.

6. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Sounds like some awesome hop combos! I'll be picking up some of each, for sure.

I'm sure the bottle shop situation in Bisbee and Tombstone is less than stellar. If you haven't tried them yet, the others I mentioned are worth picking up next time you're in Tucson or Phoenix. I feel like most "harvest ales" are too (crystal) malty and not hoppy enough, but these beers avoid that and taste more "modern" to me.

Years ago, I also trued and really liked Wendigo from Huss and 40 Acre from Mike Hess, but the trouble with wet hop beers is that they're usually one-offs.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  7. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,146) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

I quite enjoyed Surly Wet (mosaic) last year so definitely looking forward to that. Born Yesterday certainly as well. I'd say Founders Harvest Ale too but it does not seem to hit the area in a timely fashion which is disappointing.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  8. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (158) Nov 10, 2015 New York

Those were going to be my two responses-Founders Harvest, Lagunitas Born Yesterday (still my all time favorite wet hopped). If anyone has any other recommendations for nationally distributed wet hopped beers, please share!

ONovoMexicano and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  9. tillmac62

tillmac62 Meyvn (1,431) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

Founders Harvest, along with SN.

NYR-Zuuuuc likes this.
  10. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (248) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Lagunitas Born Yesterday

11. hillind

hillind Aspirant (224) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

Founders Harvest, used to be able to say Victory Harvest too but those were different times.

12. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Crusader (737) May 2, 2010 Ohio

Fatheads Hop Stalker, Founders Harvest Ale and Columbus Yakima Fresh come to mind. Can't wait.

rypkr likes this.
  13. islay

islay Initiate (186) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

Surly Wet, especially if Surly goes with any hops other than Mosaic, although I'm worried Surly will New Englandize this year's batch. In its best iterations, Surly Wet is among the best IPAs in the country.

14. Junior

Junior Aspirant (294) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Born Yesterday is the best one that I've had.

spelingchampeon likes this.
  15. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

I've been wanting to try this for years, but I never see it on the shelves when I'm in the region during the fall/winter. I love Head Hunter, so I can only imagine...

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  16. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Crusader (737) May 2, 2010 Ohio

With the new, much larger location opening on 8/20, I have to imagine more production and wider distribution is inevitable. I hope you get your hands on some Stalker this year. So freaking good...

17. bstyle

bstyle Devotee (412) Apr 27, 2006 Indiana
    Trader

Three Floyd’s BrooDoo. If you’ve never had it, I’m happy to trade for your local wet hopped favorite. Cheers!

18. honkey

Premium

It’s hard to plan for wet hop beers for small breweries and especially hard when we are dependent on deliveries for them so it creates a scheduling nightmare, but I like doing it too much to skip them. Because of the logistics though, it basically necessitates that these beers are one offs. The cans we ordered this year don’t actually list the hop varieties in the description because we had to order cans before we knew what hops would be available in our production window. If I wanted to guarantee specific varieties at the time of ordering cans, I would have basically had to skip an entire round of beers but be prepared with the malts and yeast on hand... as you can probably guess it makes a cash flow problem. I think all those difficulties are what prevents more small brewers from brewing wet hop beers and packaging them. It’s slightly easier when the beer goes into all draught, but only slightly.

19. ChrisSchlosser

ChrisSchlosser Initiate (90) Nov 15, 2013 Ohio

Fat Heads Hop Stalker is one of my favorite IPAs. I have yet to try Columbus Yakima Fresh but I've heard it's great. Definitely have to get both this year.

mambossa, Hoos78 and rypkr like this.
  20. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Yeah, I'm sure its a logistical nightmare for the small guys especially those in a location where hops aren't grown. I've run into the same problem trying to work it all out on a homebrew level, so I can only imagine. I'd guess the story is a bit different for the big guys like Sierra Nevada and Lagunitas; they're apparently able to produce the "same" wet hop beers every year. I appreciate the effort you put into these year after year!

21. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (85) Feb 13, 2018 New York

I used to wet myself over these, but now I'm content with just buying Lagunitas Born

22. rypkr

rypkr Crusader (770) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Fatheads hop stalker and and founders harvest ale. I'm told Columbus Yakima fresh is worth checking out so I'll be looking for it as well.

bstyle likes this.
  23. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (265) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

None of them. Why wait for wet hopped beers when I can grab a handful of clippings out of the mower bag any time I want?

Sabtos likes this.
  24. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,574) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

If Lagunitas can recreate their magic of Born Yesterday from 2016 (from the Chicago brewery) I will be very, very happy. If this year’s version is like last year’s (2017) I will buy one 6-pack and be done.

Cheers!

25. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,001) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

North Peak Hoodoo, I'll take home others but that is the only one I really look forward to.

26. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

I can't speak to Chicago vs. Petaluma 2016 seeing as I didn't get to try the Chicago version, but I will say the following:
    - Petaluma BY 2016 was perhaps the best beer I have ever had.
    - 2017 BY from both Chicago and Petaluma were a let down, compared to my previous bullet point. The Chicago version was hazier, but I can't say I noticed a major difference other than that.

Either way, I'm with you.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  27. JackHorzempa

Premium

I had the Chicago brewed Born Yesterday in 2016 (and 2017 as well). There was a fair bit of discussion in 2016 which seemed to indicate that the Petaluma version was clear(er) and the Chicago version was hazy/turbid.

I suppose we will see what 2018 brings?:thinking_face:

Cheers!

P.S. One more tid-bit. I purchased a number of 6-packs of the 2016 version and I can report that this version started to get oniony (too oniony for my palate) a little over 30 days from bottling. Those beers within that 30 day window were glorious IMO.

28. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

I'd agree with that assessment. I got a lot of fruit and citrus from it when it was fresh, but by January it was too green oniony even for me. I did enjoy it in the interim, though, while the onion was there, but a bit more subtle.

I do not know what made that beer so magical, but I sure hope Laginitas does, or can at least recreate it!

JackHorzempa likes this.
  29. breakin_anklez

breakin_anklez Initiate (27) Aug 8, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

Charlotte has a couple that I enjoy,

NoDa Stick When Wet
    D9 Cryonic

30. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,188) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Comrade superdamp, hoperation ivy, great divide fresh hop and ceviche cañon are all on my radar.

31. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,045) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

None, not a fan of Founders Harvest and Victory stopped brewing their harvest which I adored. Not sure what others I will even see in distribution.

RutgersBeerGuy likes this.
  32. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (222) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Troegs Hop Knife

Hoos78 and ONovoMexicano like this.
  33. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,217) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Fresh Hop season is already upon us here in the PNW. The crop seems to be coming in early this year. There's too many to tick, ya can never get em all.

34. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,045) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I also thought it was a wet hop beer years ago but apparently it is not one.

35. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (117) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

Fat Heads Hop Stalker. There is no comparison.

rypkr likes this.
  36. Strangestbrewer

Strangestbrewer Initiate (99) Oct 17, 2014 Oregon

I'm excited for all the fresh hop beers.

37. sharpski

sharpski Champion (806) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

Laurelwood FH Workhorse
    Barley Browns FH Pallet Jack
    Sunriver Da Bomb and Da Kine
    Crux Mo Fresh and Cruxtennial
    Double Mountain Killer Green
    Fort George Fresh IPA
    Fremont Field to Ferment series and Cowiche Canyon
    Whatever Breakside does

Hope to catch some CO/NM fresh hops this year too:
    La Cumbre Monzon
    Comrade Superdamp
    Station 26 FH Juicy Banger

38. JackHorzempa

Premium

@makalarch posted about his recent visit to Victory - Downingtown:

“For the first time in what seemed like a while they actually had a nice assortment of experimental one offs and beers not in distro.”

https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...-updates-etc-2018.553540/page-23#post-6126764

I wonder if Victory might reconsider their stance on producing wet hopped beers? Maybe in 2018 we there will be a Victory wet hopped beer?

Cheers!

@rotsaruch

39. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Poo-Bah (2,676) Feb 22, 2013 Ohio

Hit me up in mid October I will send you some. The key to Hop Stalker is pound them quickly within a couple weeks they change. That being said, Columbus Brewing Yakima was next level last year. Hope to see HopStalker in cans again like the 1st year.

40. makalarch

makalarch Aspirant (207) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Uh yeah the harvest was fantastic.

JackHorzempa likes this.