What wet-hopped beers are you looking forward to?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rypkr, Aug 16, 2019.

1. rypkr

rypkr Champion (863) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Founders harvest is always a great beer that I look forward to.

Fat heads hop stalker is probably my favorite although last year they disnt bottle or can any.

Last year I was excited to try Columbus yakima fresh with great expectations but was mostly let down. Due to the acclaim other have I'm willing to give 5yis another try as well.

What about you guys?

2. thuey

thuey Aspirant (265) Nov 13, 2015 California

The only commercially distributed one I enjoy is Lagunitas Born Yesterday.

3. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (592) Mar 28, 2009 California

Fremont field to ferment and of course born yesterday.

Sabtos, jlharman, GreenBayBA and 3 others like this.
  4. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,062) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

North Peak Hoodoo never fails.

Billet, tjwarren and GreenBayBA like this.
  5. tylerstubs

tylerstubs Initiate (152) May 14, 2015 Colorado

That citra though.

SFACRKnight and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  6. Doma

Doma Initiate (33) May 19, 2019 California

Fremont Cowiche Canyon with all those yummy floaties...

7. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,913) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Founders is always good, some past years a one bottle limit. I liked SN in the past but it’s been a while since I’ve seen it, but not seriously looking.

loudstain likes this.
  8. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Disciple (377) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Society

You pretty much hit on the three I look forward to. No distro. for Hop Stalker again this year. :confused:

9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,128) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

If Lagunitas were able to replicate the 2016 Born Yesterday I would very much look forward to the beer. The 2016 Born Yesterday was OUTSTANDING!

The 2017 and 2018 versions were good but not nearly as good as the 2016 version IMO.

Cheers!

10. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (402) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Born Yesterday

bwarner2015 and GreenBayBA like this.
  11. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (402) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

It was out last year and it was awesome! It appears this is not on their calendar for this year.

nc41 and Scrapss like this.
  12. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,775) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I am pumped to get some local stuff if they put some out and also Born Yesterday and Harvest Ale

13. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (592) Mar 28, 2009 California

Totally forgot but last year I went to pizza port for lunch and they were having their wet hopped Oktoberfest festival. Gotta a pitcher of a wet hopped beer and it was one of the best ipas i’ve Had. I Don’t know the name of the beer but i will be there again this year. They had like 10 wet hopped beers on draft. Can’t wait.

14. tylerstubs

tylerstubs Initiate (152) May 14, 2015 Colorado

Comrade Brewing Super Damp is the true GOAT here.

eppCOS, Kuester, GreenBayBA and 2 others like this.
  15. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,339) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Last year I made it to WA for wet hop season. It ruined it for me.

loudstain, jlharman, stevepat and 8 others like this.
  16. Scrapss

Scrapss Champion (885) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

There was a local that did a wet hop addon Oktoberfest and it was awesome. Seeking okto with a fresh hop addon.

17. nc41

Trader

That’s too bad, it’s a great beer,

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  18. islay

islay Aspirant (284) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

I would say Surly Wet, but sadly I don't think that's on the schedule this year. It seems to me that the fresh and wet-hopped beer trend has subsided as consumers now prefer fruity/juicy hops flavors to the more herbal and vegetal flavors that tend to appear in fresh and wet-hopped beers. Another way to put it is that wet-hopped beers are aimed at people who love hops, while most IPAs and pale ales these days are aimed at people who can't handle hops (except in a radically shifted form). I suspect most young beer drinkers weaned on NEIPAs or those who have reverse-lupulin-shifted toward juicy expressions would find most wet-hopped beers actively off-putting.

19. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,975) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Reasonable cause, but around here there're are also reasons to think that the slow down may also be, in part, related to the one-and-done mentality. "Been there, tried that, no need to go back." In addtion the excitement for them seems to have settled down a bit. One of our local brewers started his own hop field, used his own hops for a couple of years, then abandoned that and now no longer does a wet hop beer.

#19 drtth, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  20. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,228) Sep 24, 2007 Northern Mariana Islands
    Trader

I know not what these "wet hop" beers are. But, fresh hop season is ramping up nicely around here (first one dropped a week ago), and I'm looking forward to all of them.

Scrapss, Sabtos, jlharman and 4 others like this.
  21. drtth

A little translation help since you are from the PNW but posting outside of the PNW forum. "Wet hops" is the term in widespread usage to mean hops still wet from the bine. "Fresh Hops" is name extended beyond it's original meaning by some in the PNW to be a preferred term used to refer to what others call "Wet hops." So basically the they man the same thing.

This is a nice example, BTW of how unique dialects begin to emerge from a common shared langauge and to slowly diverge from the rest of the speakers of the "common" language. If there were extended lack of any contact between the divergent group and the origin group we might even see two different languages emerge. (Has happened before...)

#21 drtth, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Scrapss and beertunes like this.
  22. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,838) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Refers to:
    (a) Hops that are being harvested when a sudden rain storm hits.
    (b) Hops right after they're dumped into the brew kettle.
    (c) Hops grown before or during Prohibition by a hop farmer who was against the 18th Amendment. (Granted, not too many "Dry Hop Farmers" but politics does weird - see today's paper).

Jaycase, Roguer, SFACRKnight and 4 others like this.
  23. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,471) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

A good test-taking strategy is to always select the longest answer. Not for this question though. I'll pick (d), asssuming (d) will be your last choice, you are just being forgetful here, i.e. you aren't offering a 'trick' impossible question.

24. MeBeerGood

MeBeerGood Initiate (30) Jan 27, 2010 Massachusetts

Probably Born Yesterday. I, like the masses, preferred the 2016 version, and hope this years' is as good. On a side note, is there anyone out there who preferred the OG recipe for Founders Harvest Ale when it was a 6.5% abv beer maybe 8, 9 years ago? Or am I the only one.

tylerstubs likes this.
  25. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,344) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

So far, I've been enjoying Occidental's Fresh Hop Pilsner this week. It's a goodie indicating either a tough one to beat, or one hell of a season. Cheers

sharpski and beertunes like this.
  26. SFACRKnight

Trader

See, Sierra Nevada screwed it all up. They use the term fresh hopped for celebration, however the hops used are dried. Some people decided since fresh hopped had been co opted they decided to use wet hopped in its stead. Either way I wish there were more fresh hopped lagers. Not IPL either. Helles, pilsner, fest bier, what a glorious thing that would be...

Scrapss, John1985, TheBungyo and 3 others like this.
  27. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,228) Sep 24, 2007 Northern Mariana Islands
    Trader

Preach it brother!

SFACRKnight likes this.
  28. jesskidden

Society

Oh, wait. This argument again. :grin:

It was hardly Sierra Nevada which first coined the term.
    [​IMG]

The undried hops called "Wet" or "Fresh" that people now argue over would have been typically been referred to as "Green" or "Raw" hops in both the brewing industry and by hop-growers.

#28 jesskidden, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Scrapss, Jaycase and JackHorzempa like this.
  29. drtth

Well, actually a bit of digging reveals that the screw up lies elsewhere. The long term usage in the brewing industry (that existed long before the folks in the PNW started using "fresh" in the way the do now) was used to refer to hops that were used while fresh, much as we think about fresh vs "mature" fruit. Thus there were subcategories of "Fresh" Hops. One was Wet Hops fresh from the bine another was "young" hops that hadn't begun to seriously age yet. This was the standard usage adopted by Sierra Nevada to refer to such hops as those that Souther Hemispehre hops that ahd been "blow dried" and flown directly to them for immediate use.

So the PNW use of "Fresh" and their insistance that there is only one correct usage and they know it.... Remember that becoming a pro brewer does not require that you know the full history of brewing.

There are mutliple sources for this point of view, including:

Fresh vs. Wet Hops
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/mag/14547/as-fresh-hop-beers-multiply-so-does-experimentation/
    https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/hell-wet-hopping-beer/

Given that the hop growers association treats "Wet hops" as one sub category of "Fresh hops" the PNW usage is fine but obscures and creates ambiguous usage of a long standing professional term. This is a perfectly normal thing ot happen in language but does not mean the change/distortion was committed by Sierra Nevada. They used the widely accepted meaning and the new usage was apparently introduced as a PNW local convenience.

Scrapss likes this.
  30. SFACRKnight

Trader

I'm afraid most craft beer drinkers are of an age that cant possibly remember those ads...
    Pft. It appears fresh hops have been around longer than the term wet hop. In craft beer culture NOW is where the confusion occurs and the terms should be clarified. SN appears to be the only brewer I have come across that uses the term fresh hop for hops that are not wet. Is it disingenuous advertising? Maybe. As long as there are people out there defending its use it will continue.

beertunes and sharpski like this.
  31. drtth

All correct except for the idea that it was Sierra Nevada that screwed up and is responsible for the confusion, etc. As I suggested it was a natural thing to have happen with langauge change, but the new usage of fresh hops was brought into play by others....

32. SFACRKnight

Trader

Please point out which breweries in contemporary craft culture are perpetuating the definition of "fresh hopped" on the same level as Sierra Nevada. I'm afraid I can not find one.

sharpski likes this.
  33. drtth

That's a different issue which waits for another time.

34. jesskidden

Society

Being too young to have lived through it, or remember it, or even being ignorant of it, does not erase history. :grin: Sure "most craft beer drinkers" might not know, but Ken Grossman would have.

Scrapss, Jaycase and JackHorzempa like this.
  35. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,535) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

FIFY.

SFACRKnight and JackHorzempa like this.
  36. nc41

Trader

Oohhh, a wet hopped Pils. I’d like to try that.

Scrapss likes this.
  37. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,059) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Deschutes Hop Trip and/or Chasin' Freshies

EDIT: Not gonna get into the annoying, trivial semantics of debating Fresh vs Wet hop ("Don't @ me" as they say). Deschutes labels these beers as 'Fresh Hopped' but they also state things like

Good enough for me.

#37 tzieser, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Scrapss, beertunes and nc41 like this.
  38. GratefulBeerGuy

GratefulBeerGuy Poo-Bah (2,619) May 20, 2006 New Hampshire
    Trader

I'm not sure if it's being brewed anymore, but Sierra Nevada Estate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale just happens to still be my highest rated American IPA. This version was from December of 2013.

39. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,107) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

If I go to a restaurant I love and have the best meal I ever had, I won't stop going there because they can't replicate that again. So I look forward to born yesterday every year.

Cheers

40. nc41

Trader

Ohh, forgot Chasin Freshies, yes big time right there.

tzieser likes this.