What will be the next "big thing" in beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by justyouraveragebeerguy, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dougfur

dougfur Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2011 New York

Might be just me, but I'm sure seeing a lot of interest in saisons right now. They seem to be the trendy beer at the moment.

2. Beergelden

Beergelden Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2013 Ohio

Malted and hopped spirits.

Giovannilucano likes this.
  3. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2007 Washington

Killer Whales, bro

4. fickenmeimirish

fickenmeimirish Initiate (177) Feb 18, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Any idea what the podcast was called/ wherei can get it?

5. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Devotee (443) Feb 24, 2011 New Jersey

[​IMG]

Perfect example of a distilled beer made into a liquor.

Beergelden likes this.
  6. canucklehead

canucklehead Poo-Bah (2,464) Mar 7, 2003 British Columbia (Canada)

More and more variations on IPAs such as session IPAs , Rye, Black, Belgian, Red, etc.
    More Session beers
    Collab beers
    More usage of different grains such as Spelt , Kamut, Oatmeal, Rye etc
    Lagers but hoppy and bigger
    exotic ingredients
    more faux craft beers such as Third Shift

http://markfaviell.com/10-years-on-beer-advocate/

7. TheGoldsmith

TheGoldsmith Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2013 Missouri

Just wishful thinking, not predicting that it will happen: The American market tends to be national/regional so far, trying to cover the whole of the U.S. or at least the whole regional market. In the near(ish) future I'm hoping to see a rise in local beer, esp things like wild fermentation, and a focus on regional terroir. I think this would be a very interesting direction for the craft beer scene, and we're seeing a bit of it already with places like Jester King and their recent announcement.

Also, me being in the process of reading The Brewmaster's Table, and having seen an article on Boston's scene in the recent Draft Magazine, I'm hoping for a spread in the popularity of local/regional cask ales in the U.S. as they have in England

I think both of these possibilities, if they should come to pass, would inspire even more pride in both local craft beer environments, as well as for the American craft beer market as a whole.

8. justyouraveragebeerguy

justyouraveragebeerguy Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

It was the hop cast and it was their fobab episode

9. fickenmeimirish

fickenmeimirish Initiate (177) Feb 18, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Thanks

10. Beergelden

Beergelden Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2013 Ohio

This is some great foresight! Think about the largest segment of people yet to really try some Craft or Micro brews, The American Lager Lovers. It's a common complaint I have heard from a lot of the ALLs, that beer is too strong! When 80-90% of any category is occupied by one type of beer, you can play into their wheelhouse by bringing the big beers loved by us down to their level with the alcohol content and still keep a ton of the flavor. Think homebrewing, it is difficult to make a big 12+% beer but we can make 5-7% beers that are great and just as flavorful as the big boys. Session ales have good spot to brin gmore people over to the craftside, with out a doubt.

The aged bottles is already happening, it's just going to get bigger, I agree. There are people with hoards of these aged brews in there basements or closets right now and the breweries are playing into it well, using that as one of the selling points to buy more. (Drink one and age one) Hopefully, the price of the 'young' versions don't keep going up and it stays an affordable luxury for more people. The more you raise the price, the more people you alienate from trying something new. Barriers to trial like cost are hard to overcome.

Beer should not try to be wine, even though there is a piece of it going in that direction!

crytion likes this.
  11. Adamdc

Adamdc Aspirant (269) Nov 18, 2007 Massachusetts

Mead ftw!

If it meads, it leads!

12. GopherPharmer

GopherPharmer Disciple (342) Feb 19, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Don't know if this has been said already, but I honestly think the next "big thing" in beer is the ability to order beer from different regions online. Seriously think about it, just imagine if you could just pay nominal shipping charges (or even free shipping as some sites offer if you buy enough) and be able to order Russian River, Three Floyds, Surly, whatever!!! Just order what you want and have it delivered to your doorstep. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy the thrill of the hunt for the local rarities, but getting things I can't get locally without restriction of where I live would be amazing.

13. ColdOne

ColdOne Aspirant (218) Jan 19, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Did anyone make the inevitable "three penis" joke? Sorry to all those who don't watch The League.

14. musicman7070

musicman7070 Disciple (357) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Woodchuck Hard Cider :slight_smile:

15. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Devotee (400) Nov 21, 2008 Texas
    Beer Trader

More faked craft beers made by the major breweries to fool people who dont really like beer into thinking that they like craft beer.

crytion likes this.
  16. Tschnab

Tschnab Defender (640) Aug 21, 2010 New York

I think we can see more craft shandys in the summer

17. ElGallo

ElGallo Crusader (795) Sep 26, 2009 New Hampshire

Gummi beers, India Porter, and the long-awaited return of Bud Dry.

18. Prh27

Prh27 Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2012 Virginia

I'm going with Barleywines and American Wild. The envelope must always be pushed. Things have to get more complex. Cellaring is growing big in popularity and these two styles are great for that. Craft is getting into wine territory with vintages.

Barrel aging is the big thing currently and really took off a couple years ago. I'm about over it honestly, minus a few exceptions. It does wonders with some beers but I hate having to spend $10 more a bomber for ones that are marginally better or sometimes even worse.

19. BigCheese

BigCheese Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Massachusetts

#1 an emerging craft cider scene (already happening in MA).

Craft breweries getting bought up by the Big Boys (inbev, millercoors ect)

Collaborations seem to be the current "in" thing.

Hop flaovored/infused liquors seem to also be taking off.

Session IPAs, more Beer in cans, wheat and white ipas,

20. --Dom--

--Dom-- Disciple (305) Dec 22, 2012 Missouri

I just hope it's not nitros, in my opinion it often mutes the best things about a beer. I don't need my beer to taste like a creampuff. What I would like to see are more ipa's that have higher ibu's without being over 7.5ish %

Prh27 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.