What Wine Are You Drinking Now?

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by Greywulfken, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,609) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Because it takes all kinds, and sometimes its a kind of wine...

Had a coupla cans of Prospect from Foley Brothers earlier, but now about to watch a movie called The Favourite with the missus...

Opened a bottle of Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio...
    [​IMG]
    Now don't let all them Italian-sounding words fool ya, I'm not a big wine guy, but this is my go-to white - I'm not real up on vintage variations, it's just whatever's on the shelf; you can see this is a 2017... The Santa Margherita has a nice crisp, clean oak character and a softer juicy grape roundness; sweet with tangy golden apple and dry wood... I appreciate the dryness, the tang of funk, and the bright oak element... Very refreshing and drinkable...

What wine are you drinking now?
    [​IMG]
    Cheers...

jvgoor3786, Shanex, Glider and 4 others like this.
  2. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (369) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

Brunello and Brunello baby!! It’s my parents’ 40th anniversary, so I thought I’d treat them since they had all us kids over for dinner to celebrate. (And yes, my old man is in the background wearing his favorite Gumballhead shirt )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dcotom, rmpic82, Glider and 6 others like this.
  3. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,690) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Don't drink much wine anymore, but cooked for both my sister in laws on Saturday, the menu was:
    Chicken roulades stuffed with chicken sausage, sun dried tomatoes, basil, pistachios and goat cheese wrapped in prosciutto with a marsala wine reduction
    Asparagus
    Truffled mushroom risotto
    and served it with a couple of these Chappellet Chenin Blanc. Very good acidic white with less of the grapefruit and gooseberry that you get from a Sauvignon Blanc
    [​IMG]

Shanex, dcotom, Glider and 2 others like this.
  4. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Champion (810) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Society Trader

5. mambossa

Society

I also definitely meant to say Barolo instead of that...second Brunello. Oh how the wine talks.

6. JN1

JN1 Disciple (341) Mar 11, 2014 California
    Society Trader

Loire Valley Cab Franc and Jura Savignan is currently on the rotation with some Willamette Valley or SRH Pinots.

BikeChef likes this.
  7. BikeChef

BikeChef Aspirant (250) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia

Good taste :wink: Loire valley Cab Francs are *really* undervalued if you ask me, but you gotta like the style (can be somewhat acidic, green, and tannic, but ultimately elegant and delicious). I love the stuff. It ages incredibly well, btw. Try bottles from Bernard Baudry, Couly-Duthiel, Fosse-Seche, Olga Raffault, Chateau du Coulaine, Phillipe Alliet, and Charles Joguet.

Let me recommend Loire Chenin Blanc as a white too— can be excellent stuff!

Shanex and dcotom like this.
  8. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,331) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

You definitely know how to treat your parents right! Couple of beautiful bottles there.

It's a "school night" here in the casa for the wife and I, so we're making do with some columbia valley sangiovese and some Vinoce sauvignon blanc. Nice wines both, but not in the same league with what you're pouring tonight. Well done sir!

dcotom, Shanex, Glider and 1 other person like this.
  9. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (6,919) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

I am heading to Bordeaux in a few weeks, hoping to post some great wine shots.

Shanex likes this.
  10. Smakawhat

Society

Finishing this simple guy off right now.

Had her with some simple homemade steak haché last night .

mambossa, dcotom, Shanex and 2 others like this.
  11. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Just finished a bottle of 2016 Januik merlot from champouex vinyard in horse heaven hill with the wife at dinner. Really delicious, and went well with the frittata I made for dinner tonight. Now settling down with a glass of 2017 Kane McGagh vineyard rose. Nice wine, but not worth the price we paid for a bottle. Would not buy again (way too many better options for less money from Provence and Bandol).

dcotom, Shanex, Glider and 1 other person like this.
  12. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,609) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

A fave....
    [​IMG]
    Jammy and juicy, but not too sweet, with lots of dry oak...

Cin cin...

#12 Greywulfken, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
    mambossa, dcotom, Glider and 2 others like this.
  13. donspublic

Society Trader

For sheer drinking and pairing with food, you cannot go wrong with a Rose > 13% alcohol or a Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough NZ. The price point on these wines off the shelf is usually $15 or less and in a restaurant they run usually double that (if it isn't the type of restaurant that kills you on bottles). Living in Houston I had cycled thru all the big reds and was pretty much drinking Cote du Rhone (for this style you can drink the best for under $20 a bottle, most under $15) my last few years, but mainly just in the winter. When the heat hit I switched to Rose. I have found as a rule of thumb, if your alcohol is over 13 it will be dry. You have to be careful with some Rose as they can be sweet (residual sugar)

mambossa and Shanex like this.
  14. hottenot

hottenot Aspirant (201) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society

I like a sweet white occasionally. Cost isn't a concern since I shop at Food Lion (A southern grocery store like Shop and Save or Walmart)

dcotom likes this.
  15. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

The wife and I are in France for a few weeks, and so we're sticking to drinking local. We toasted our arrival with a bottle of Henriot souverain champagne (our wedding reception bubbly), and are now kicking back with a bottle of Guigal 2015 Brune et Blond Cotie Rotie. A tad young for sure, but a tasty beveridge none the less.

#15 John_M, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Shanex, Smakawhat and donspublic like this.
  16. donspublic

Society Trader

Best day in France was a few years ago in Feb I believe where we had one day to tour vineyards before we came home. Stopped at M Chapoutier for tastings and asked for other vineyards to hit up and she informed us most were closed today because of the Cote Rotie festival in Ampuis. She then informed us it would probably be best if we just went there for the day since all the vineyards would be there. The cost was 5 euro for a glass and you went table to table in this small gymnasium and tasted wine. This is the first time I was glad my wife didn't like reds. I have always liked Cote du Rhone, but a Cotie Rotie is a beautiful wine.

Shanex and John_M like this.
  17. BikeChef

BikeChef Aspirant (250) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia

Believe the hype about the 2016 Bordeaux vintage— even cheap ones I’ve tasted have been delicious.

18. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Supposed to be a great year in the rhone as well.

19. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

What a fantastic stroke of luck that turned out to be for you.

We'll be staying down in Avignon next week, and plan to do a couple of tours in the Gigondas and Chateau neuf du pape areas. We weren't able to book a tour for the Northern rhone, but are planning to stop by Tain and hopefully try some Hermitage and the like in the area.

Shanex likes this.
  20. donspublic

Society Trader

Jealous, was not a big fan of the Paris area of France, but loved the south. Enjoy your stay

John_M likes this.
  21. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Now finishing the day with a glass of 2012 zind-humbrecht herrenweg de turkheim Gewurtraminer.

Good times.

mambossa likes this.
  22. Smakawhat

Society

I went to Avignon it's a real neat town (the old area). I love Provence it's so far my favorite area of the country. I am trying to remember the wineries we went to... drawing a slight blank..

Shanex likes this.
  23. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

We've been enjoying our time in Paris, but am looking forward to heading south. We've been to Avignon before and really liked it. So we're looking forward to heading back down there. This will be our first time in Marseille.

Shanex likes this.
  24. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,297) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

No big trip advices to give on Marseille, personally but I found Nice much neater and tourist friendly (me living in Northern France almost makes me a foreigner there). That said, Marseille has improved especially the Vieux Port (Old Harbor) area. Toulon is in between both of these cities and while pretty shouldn’t IMO be worthy of staying more than a couple days.

I only have a soft spot for certain areas of Paris, inside the périphérique mostly.

Britanny is my favorite place in France, Normandy and Alsace are pretty close second. Unfortunately Britanny can be overlooked because those D-Day beaches and memorials are up north in Normandy and Britanny has no major airports, or cities beside Rennes and Brest.

donspublic likes this.
  25. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

We're only going to be in Marseille for 3 days, and my wife has indicated she would prefer we spend all of our time there (I pointed out that Nice was just up the road , so maybe we should spend a day there). Hopefully, that will be OK.

We plan to come back every couple of years, and next time we plan to do champagne and alsace.

Shanex likes this.
  26. Smakawhat

Society

I LUUUUUVV Marseille... really had a great time there it's not for everyone but it appeals to me.

Get a navette!!! https://www.myprovence.fr/en/article/the-navette

The wineries I went to I would recognize the names if I saw them. Provence is certainly known for rose, but there's just no bad wine to be found at all it was crazy...

John_M likes this.
  27. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Thanks for the tip!

28. mambossa

Society

[​IMG]

Mothers’ Day sippin. ‘97 Pio Cesare still tasting quite youthful, bright, and acidic. Super violet-y and ashy. Really special.

29. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,127) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I'm drinking a homemade (not by me) Amarone-style red, paired with a ribeye grilled to medium-rare perfection. This wine was made by the father of one of our group-home residents. He was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma just before Christmas last year. He refused treatment and got his affairs in order, then spent his last days at home with his family instead of in the hospital. I always liked his homemade wine, so he told me he wanted me to have what he had left in his cellar. This is jammy, with notes of dark berries and a hint of minerality. The finish is dry, quite tannic and astringent. There is some speculation that, based on varietals, climate, and terroir, the wine served at the Last Supper may have been similar in style to the Amarone. At any rate, this is a lovely wine. Cheers, Bill! This one's for you!

[​IMG]

30. scream

scream Meyvn (1,030) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

And cheers to the man who made it !

dcotom likes this.
  31. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Very nice. Have only had much more yourhful nebbiolos from Pio Cesare. I'm very jealous!

32. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Just finished a lovely bottle of the new 2017 P. Usseglio Ch. neuf du pape. Knock on wood, but I have a buckelist wine in my sights for tomorrow. Have pre-ordered a bottle of 2005 Ch. Rayas to have with tomorrow's dinner.

Smakawhat and dcotom like this.
  33. Smakawhat

Society

Just crushed a bunch of oysters.

Couple next to us gave me their bottle to finish.

Sante!

34. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

The wife and I just got back from a visit to Domain Tempier, and are kicking back with a glass of their 2017 rose. That will be followed by a bottle of 2018 Chateau Pibernon blanc, procured during our visit to the Chateau on Saturday.

dcotom, Shanex and Glider like this.
  35. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,785) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Had dinner with my Dad on Saturday and he brought this wine. We did not finish the bottle so he gave it to me. I’m drinking it now with some meatloaf and grilled asparagus. I don’t know the first thing about French wine.

This seems like a medium wine to me, leaning a bit toward heavy. It’s not the lightest of red wines like a Pinot Noir but it is also but not the heaviest I’ve had. As I drink it more it leans toward heavier.

I find it fruity with notes of plum, and dark berry, quite acidic and a dry tannic finish. It started getting a little spicy to me with some cinnamon. It was good. Nice middle of the road red wine that worked nicely with the linguine frutti di mare (fra diavolo) I had for dinner on Saturday. I don’t know the cost since I didn’t purchase the bottle.

mambossa, Joe13, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  36. Smakawhat

Society

It's right bank Bordeaux.. I was not at this Chateau, but was in St. Emillion yesterday.. wow talk about serendipity!

That bottle I am guessing is more than likely Merlot dominant with some other small varietals as well.

Hope you are digging it!

dcotom and TheGent like this.
  37. Smakawhat

Society

Had some great wine yesterday ..

This was fantastic..

Sante!

Joe13, dcotom, Greywulfken and 4 others like this.
  38. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,785) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Cool. Looks like you’re enjoying the trip.

I enjoyed the wine.

Shanex and Smakawhat like this.
  39. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Now in Tain Hermitage, drinking a delightful glass of 2015 Hermitage blanc from Paul Jaboulet, while the wife is sipping on a devine glass of 2006 la chappelle hermitage rouge. A nice rest stop on our way back to Lyon.

40. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,297) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Drinking a Chinon that a relative brought to me from the Chateaux de la Loire. Interesting stuff. Not pictured but I’m about to cook a simple steak to pair with it:

[​IMG]