What Wine Are You Drinking Now?

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by Greywulfken, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,525) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

I've been enjoying these two over the past few days ... I know Yellowtail is not the best but for a budget wine its now bad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scrapss, Premo88, Shanex and 5 others like this.
  2. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,633) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Does the David Arthurs stuff even see any distribution? I generally only see it on restaurant wine lists, and usually only REALLY high end restaurants at that. Here in PDX, my guess is that the Ringside is likely the only place in town that carries David Arthur cabs (though it's possible Morton's and/or Ruth's Chris might have it as well).

Sounds like a VERY fun day indeed. :sunglasses:

Scrapss, Premo88, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  3. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (143) Feb 25, 2013 California

David Arthur is very high end, even for Napa. The bottle I got was the 3 Acre Cab. As for distro, probably a few select wine shops, but they can retail everything. Why wholesale a bottle for half what you can retail it for, when you have no problem selling it either way? Their winemaker was a college buddy of mine (both UCDavis Vit/Enol), and he gave me some great winemaking tips for Cabernet that I'm thinking of trying this harvest. I got a nice barrel tasting out of that visit also.

Scrapss, Premo88 and thesherrybomber like this.
  4. BikeChef

BikeChef Aspirant (265) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia

I'm a huge Chinon fan. It's not for everybody, as it tends to be light-bodied (though that's changed as the temps there have increased) and tends to be about non-fruit flavors like leaves and tobacco. But if you're into it, you can get world-class cabernet franc from Chinon producers like Bernard Baudry, Olga Raffault, and Marc Plouzeau (a few favorites of mine) at pretty reasonable prices.

Premo88, Glider and Shanex like this.
  5. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I notice you're from the DC area. As it sounds like you enjoy cab franc based wines, I was curious as to whether you ever do any wine tasting in Virginia. As you probably know, Cab franc is one of the more popular and pervasive red wine varietals grown throughout Virginia.

#85 John_M, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Scrapss, Premo88 and Shanex like this.
  6. Jason

Jason Founder (8,525) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Shared some really tasted (and cheap) wine that I got at Trader Joe's ... ~$4.99 a bottle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scrapss, Premo88, jvgoor3786 and 6 others like this.
  7. VitisVinifera

How did the Primitivo compare to California Zinfandel, if you could make that comparison? I'm about to bottle a California Primitivo and it's pretty Zinny, which is to be exptected, but I don't think I've had an Italian Primitivo.

Premo88 likes this.
  8. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,826) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Santa Margherita Chardonnay 2018...
    [​IMG]
    Woody citrus, floral, sharp green apple highpoints, tingly, tangy, crisp but rounded...

Snack accompaniment...
    [​IMG]
    Merlot BellaVitano cheese, assorted Carr's crackers, orange and fig jam...

Cheers...

Scrapss, Premo88, jvgoor3786 and 3 others like this.
  9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,196) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Straight up Shiraz is so tasty.

[​IMG]

Scrapss, Premo88, Shanex and 3 others like this.
  10. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,369) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

11. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Can't take the wife out for date night, so have been bringing date night back to the casa with a good bottle of wine. Tonight, made a simple pasta dish with homemade tomato sauce. With it we had a lovely bottle of 2009 Gaja sperrs nebbiolo from the Langhe region of Italy. Hard to say if it was worth the price of admission, but it was undeniably quite good. Next on the hit parade is a grand cru Drouhin chablis from 1999. Would never dream of buying a 20 year old domestic chardonnay, but am hopeful a great chablis from a great vintage will still be alive and kicking.

Bitterbill, dcotom, Premo88 and 4 others like this.
  12. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,588) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Okaydokey, since we’re pretty much all on various partial or total lockdowns, and for me anyway only allowed to go out for errands or other essential stuffs, I bought this early in the morning. A 2018 Touraine sauvignon. I really appreciate it for under 5€

[​IMG]

Usually makes for a nice pairing with any seafood, fishes, or goat cheese. A bit « crisp » yet fruity. Good.

Sharing it with the GF so that you guys don’t worry I’m pounding a bottle by myself on a Monday evening :wink:

Cheers!

Scrapss, Bitterbill, dcotom and 6 others like this.
  13. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

About to dive into a bottle of 2015 Domain de Marcoux Chateauneuf du Pape. Am optimistic it will go well with the grilled chicken I'm serving the wife tonight.

Scrapss, Bitterbill, dcotom and 4 others like this.
  14. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Hitting up that Santa Margherita Chardonnay again...
    [​IMG]

Featured snacks...
    [​IMG]
    Aged gouda, parmigiano-reggiano, prosciutto, Carr's crackers...

Cheers...

15. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

For some reason, I've never been able to get into the Santa Margherita stuff. I know they make an ocean of the pinot grigio, and I know it's super popular, but it's never been my cup of tea. On the other hand, the featured snacks look awesome.

Premo88, Shanex and Greywulfken like this.
  16. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,867) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

3 1/2 Buck Chuck

17. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Having a bit of 2013 napa Silver Oak cabernet. Perfect with tonight's ribeye roast, ceaser salad and strawberry shortcake.

18. mambossa

mambossa Aspirant (230) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

[​IMG]

The old lady and I celebrating our 6th anniversary today. Broke out a ton of random cheeses we had in the fridge (Uplands Pleasant Ridge, Klare Melk truffle Gouda, Kaltbach). The perks of being with a certified cheese professional!
    Trying this sparkling rose from Field Recordings in Paso Robles. 100% Cabernet franc, nice strawberry cream notes, yeasty and perfumed, just super light, bright and delightful!

Scrapss, Shanex, Bitterbill and 5 others like this.
  19. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,449) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Good day, all! One spring day back in 2013, I took my beloved pal Max to a nearby park to gather some dandelions for a batch of homemade wine. It turned out to be the last thing we ever did together. Max was almost 12 at the time, and had been suffering from multiple myeloma for about three years. He went blind during that time, but that never seemed to bother him. That day, though, he was very sluggish and seemed to be in a lot of pain. I took him right away to see his vet. It turned out that he was bleeding internally and there was nothing the vet could do. This is the final pour of that 2013 wine. Here's to Max. This one's for you, old buddy. Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scrapss, Shanex, Bitterbill and 8 others like this.
  20. scream

scream Meyvn (1,174) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Hope you are resting easy Max !

21. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Livio Felluga pinot grigio 2018...
    [​IMG]
    I've had this plenty of times before, but it's been a while now... On par with the Santa Margherita I favor, but a little richer, fuller, and rounder on the palate, with crisp fruit notes of apple, melon and pear, and the drying of wood and white grape must... Cheers...

Scrapss, Bitterbill, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  22. VitisVinifera

23. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Disciple (397) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

24. VitisVinifera

My first harvest internship was there. My job was to get on a quad and cruise their vineyards in the Dunnigan hills taking grape samples. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go the wine or beer route at that point, and that made my mind up.

Premo88 and thesherrybomber like this.
  25. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Drinking a 2016 Navarro anderson valley reserve chard tonight. Always a solid, slightly creamy chard, redolent with pear, apple and peach on the mid palate. Some noticeable vanilla from the oak as well, but it's not overdone. Went very well with grilled pork chops tonight.

Rockfish tomorrow, and I'm leaning towards a bottle of 2016 reserve le cigare volant from Bonny Doon as an accompaniment.

dcotom, Bitterbill and Premo88 like this.
  26. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Pretty much a perfect evening food and drinkwise.

Had some babyback ribs, scalloped potatoes, ceaser salad and strawberry rhubarb pie, washed down with a lovely bottle of provence rose and 2018 Martinelli jack ass zin.

Martinelli... Please don't make any more zin like this. This was absolute zin crack and was sucked down far too easily by the wife and I. It went perfectly with the ribs and potatoes.. So, so good...

Scrapss, Shanex, dcotom and 3 others like this.
  27. mambossa

Too lazy to take a picture, but I’ve been enjoying a lot of whites lately (lots of NZ and CA sauv blanc, Albariños, gruner veltiners, vinho verdes).

Brought home a bottle of Kendall Jackson Chardonnay, since I really haven’t had many oaked chardonnays in my day.

I gotta say I really love what American oak brings to a Chardonnay. Pineapple-y coconut, baking spice, lemon zest, yellow apple. All that good stuff.

If anyone wants to recommend their favorite (ideally readily available) oaked chard, fire away!

28. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Ummm... Most chardonnays see at least a little bit of oaked aging, so I'm surprised to hear that. Also, I think it's fairly uncommon to see chardonnays from California aged in American oak. Those wineries that do use American oak, use it primarily for red wines.

If you like Kj's chard, then I would recommend the regular napa bottlings from wineries like Beringer, Robert Mondavi and BV. There are plenty of others as well, but I'm not sure what distribution is like for you in Ohio. Also, a lot of the chards I could recommend that you would probably like, are going to be a lot more expensive (Kistler, Paul Hobbs, etc).

Shanex, dcotom and Bitterbill like this.
  29. mambossa

Chardonnay has never been my primary choice of white, so if I did have them, they were usually unoaked (mer soliel silver, or some brands of Chablis with very little oak presence in flavor).

So you’re saying most wineries won’t use American oak for chards? So they are using French or neutral?

Bitterbill likes this.
  30. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Yes. Even the Kj chards (the vintners reserve is made in huge quantities - over a million cases I believe) sees a combination of French and American oak aging. I presume it's sees little or no new oak, but I doubt they use any neutral barrels. But yes... Even today, despite the huge cost, most California chard sees some French oak aging.

If the wine sees no oak aging, that's usually specified on the label.

31. mambossa

Ahh. That’s the one I’ve got and I got loads of coconut on it, which I’ve always understood to be associated with American oak. That makes sense now.

I’m assuming exclusive American oak aging would be a bit aggressive for a Chardonnay?

Bitterbill likes this.
  32. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Yes, I think so. My understanding is that American oak tends to be softer and thus it imparts more"oaky" flavor during the aging process. Or so I've always been told.

Red wine seems to be able to handle that amount of oak flavor more readily than white wine. A lot of California wineries try to eschew that level of oak flavor in their chards... The vanilla and coconut flavor can be overwhelming if overdone.

Bitterbill likes this.
  33. Bitterbill

Society Trader

[​IMG]

I reckon that this is the first Sauvignon Blanc that I have ever tried. Grapefruit and passionfruit flavours work for me.

Scrapss and dcotom like this.
  34. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Hard to go wrong with SB from Marlborough NZ. If it turns out you like this wine, I would recommend the SB made by Kim Crawford. It's another kiwi wine that is very reasonably priced and easy to come by. The winery must make an ocean of it; it's on most wine by the glass lists and is usually readily available at Costco. That being said, it's a reliably good SB that seems to maintain it's quality no matter what the vintage.

#114 John_M, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  35. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Thanks for the recommendation! And yeah, I dug this one muchly.

Scrapss likes this.
  36. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Before I explore some other wines, I decided to go with another Marlborough. 13 Celsius, another SB, and I like it even more than the last one I had.

Imported and bottled by 13 Celsius Vineyards, Livermore California??

Scrapss likes this.
  37. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Interesting. So it sounds like this is essentially a "negociant" wine. The winery purchases the fruit in NZ, which is then shipped to the "winery" in Livermore (or the juice is shipped to Livermore), where it's turned into wine. It's not actually clear from the website if there is an actual 13 Celsius winery (there may just be a label, with the wine made at some other winery facility in Livermore).

Shrug. As long as you liked it, that's really the main thing.

Bitterbill likes this.
  38. VitisVinifera

Wouldn't be surprised if that was bottled by Wente Vineyards, also in Livermore.

Scrapss and Bitterbill like this.
  39. VitisVinifera

You'd be surprised. If you have the chance, visit your favorite winery on a tour that includes the barrel room. The truth lies there.

Scrapss and Bitterbill like this.
  40. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Thanks. I've actually been on many winery tours (that have included trips to the barrel room). That's what my observation was based on. That being said, I obviously haven't toured every winery in the US. So I'll readily acknowledge that there may be far more wineries using American oak for their chards than I'm aware of. I should also mention that most of the winery tours I've been on have been in California, Oregon and Washington. So my impression is largely based on that experience. I've also been on winery tours in Virginia, Maryland and Arkansas, where I think wine makers are more willing to experiment with other types of oak. My impression is that for some of those wineries, economic concerns were a factor as well (as new french oak barrels are more than a bit spendy).

Anyway, my observation was mostly based on my limited experience. There may well be far more wineries using American oak for their chard than I may be aware.

#120 John_M, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Bitterbill likes this.