What would it take to land a FW 10th, 11th, 12th, and 13th?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by Drootz, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Drootz

Drootz Initiate (160) Sep 6, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Any ideas guys on what it would take to land the above?

Or at least the trade value on the 12th and 13th? I think I can accept that I probably won't find the 10 or 11. Since there are less than 25 people on here who have them in there gots....

It seems Firestone beers don't seem to hold as high a trade value as most other beers. But I'd like to find these and stand a fair chance at them in the ISO forum.

Here's what I have to work with.....let me know if anyone see's something they think I might be able to pull it off with
    http://www.cellarhq.com/cellar/Drootz

thanks

2. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

every indication i've heard is that 10 and 11 are beyond gone and haven't been worth drinking let alone trading for for at least a year. i may have heard the same thing about 12. not sure about 13.

raveskdr and cavedave like this.
  3. vacax

vacax Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

10-11 used to be "whales" if you will, but at this point are just far too old. 13 is probably the only one worth drinking at this point.

cavedave likes this.
  4. phillybeer7779

phillybeer7779 Initiate (0) May 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

12 was still really good when I had it a few months ago, and I am generally not all that into aged beer outside of lambic.

5. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Devotee (438) Jul 31, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Im friends with a FW employee, who upon delivery of some '11, had to open one to ensure quality. Her experience was that it was fantastic still. I have heard that '10 is far gone. And word on '13 is that it hasnt even peaked yet.

6. Drootz

Beer Trader

Ok, so if the '10 is out of the question and the major consensus seems to be try for '12 and '13. What should I offer up? Choc rain, black tues, or cascade sours to get it done? or something else maybe some RR sours? Just want the best chance I can have at landing them without going over the top to get them.....

Also I'm not afraid of a little a risk and I wouldn't mind trying for the '11 too.
    @Skunkdrool any chance your buddy still has an "11 they want to part with?

And thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it

7. Skunkdrool

Beer Trader

@Drootz I should see her this weekend, I'll look into it. One thing to keep in mind now, is that FW has re-released some Annys, but the cost is much higher. I know '13 is available for purchase at the brewery right now, but it retails for $100. So, technically, the $4$ has changed if anyone has purchased back catalog, and is looking to trade said purchase. Its absurd, but thats the reality.

8. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Zealot (518) Jan 7, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Last time I was at the Barrelworks room, I think they had a 10,11, 12th in a collectors box in the $200-300 range. Or maybe it was 11,12,13th?

Yeah, it'll cost a bit to pick it up from Firestone.

9. Drootz

Beer Trader

They told me last time I was at Firestone (parabola release/haven't been to barrelworks) that those Anniversary ones in the fridge and on the menu, were for in house consumption only....

10. drgonzo2k2

drgonzo2k2 Aspirant (264) Aug 24, 2012 California

How timely, I actually just traded away a FW 10, 11, 12, 13 last week. There was a bit more involved in the trade, but the main things I was gunning for was a full Jester King 500 ml sour set including Omniscience & Proselytism as well as a Jester King Experimental sour (750 ml). In addition to those two not being available for off-site consumption at all, two of the other 500 ml were extremely low bottle counts and only available at the Funk n' Sour fest.

A couple of things you might find interesting:

1 - last time I went through a vertical was when XVI was released and I'd say all of the beers were drinking "just fine" to "pretty damn good" then. The 10 wasn't the best of the bunch, but I think both blend and age played into that.

2 - when I was at the brewery for the Parabola release last year and getting the tour of the barrel room I came across a pallet of 13, 14, 15. I asked if they had anything older put back and was told no. I mentioned to them the 10s that I had and was told that one of the founders was actually quite embarrassed by that beer. Apparently due to some travel he (didn't say which one) was not able to try the final bottled blend before it went out. He tried it after the fact and wanted it all pulled out of distro. They actually told me if I wanted they could put us in touch as FW would likely want to buy any 10s I had remaining back from me rather than let me drink them or trade them off to someone. I declined that offer politely.

Take all that for what it's worth.

pjkelley82 likes this.
  11. anteater

anteater Crusader (759) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I traded an Upright Sole Comp, I think Pinot Cherry Four, for a FW 13 with a little more on my side to make up the difference. Shortly after I drank 13, I went out and found 15, 16 and 17 all on tap so I ended up trying a mini vertical by accident. 13 was really good, ridiculously mellow to the point where I almost wish it was more aggressive. 16 was my favorite of the four.

12. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (949) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I honestly wouldn't bother. People probably want something special for them but I don't think most want to actually give up good beers for it.

Lots of bottles have probably not been stored correctly and those FW anny beers seemed to start oxidizing quickly after a year anyways. I had a 13 about a year ago that was properly cellared since the release - it was pretty dismal.

13. sphyrn

sphyrn Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2013 Connecticut

I had my 12 about 90 days ago and a said it was fantastic, but i really do have a temperature controlled cellar. @drootz,I have an extra 13 I could let go.

14. boltfan

boltfan Initiate (61) Dec 13, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I'm not sure where you are in Cali but I'm pretty sure you can find 12 and 13 at Blue Palms if you are just looking to try them.

15. Skunkdrool

Beer Trader

@Drootz I met a guy over the weekend that has several bottles and is happy to trade some. Where in CA are you?

16. Drootz

Beer Trader

@Skunkdrool I'm in Northern California (San Jose) to be specific.

@boltfan Where is Blue Palms?

17. Skunkdrool

Beer Trader

@Drootz Blue Palms is in Hollywood

Do you make it down to the central coast at all?

18. Drootz

Beer Trader

@Skunkdrool not very often but I will be there for FWI festival again this year. I do occasionally make it out to the Visalia area when I do head down though.

19. Skunkdrool

Beer Trader

@Drootz Cant wait for FWI again this year. Wish it was every month

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe