What'll be your first post-pandemic beer in the outside world?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Mar 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,328) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Nothing like sun, babes, and ice-cold bottles of skunked beer! :stuck_out_tongue:

AlcahueteJ, Premo88, Amendm and 2 others like this.
  2. Speedy1985

Speedy1985 Initiate (34) May 1, 2017 New Jersey

Maybe not the "special occasion" I had in mind for it, but cracking open and taking my first sip of Utopias might be appropriate when this whole mess ends.

3. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (532) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Zombie Dust, which seems appropriate. Then perhaps a Space Station Middle Finger.

VoxRationis, Amendm, Scrapss and 2 others like this.
  4. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (532) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

"Lassies", that's great...no dogs allowed.

Amendm and readyski like this.
  5. dbl_delta

dbl_delta Poo-Bah (3,556) Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I'm hoping to try the DFH hand sanitizer. Not sure it qualifies as beer, but if it's post-pandemic we're not gonna quibble about styles.....

6. Jsteez

Jsteez Zealot (568) Apr 28, 2012 Utah

I hope there's a "post pandemic"

7. LiamoMill

LiamoMill Initiate (83) May 11, 2017 Ireland
    Trader

I probably take for granted the fact I can go to some great pubs here and have a pint of Guinness the majority of the time so I think that'll be it! Might as well go to one of my locals to have it too seeing as they've been serving pints for 1100 years https://www.seansbar.ie/history :slight_smile:

8. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,242) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

I'm thinking my bottle of Dark Lord that @ovaltine hooked me up with about a year ago. I have high hopes of organizing a bottle share with some friends of mine when the "all-clear" sounds.

VoxRationis, Premo88, Amendm and 4 others like this.
  9. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,958) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I've been giving this some thought. Once the pan(dem)ic subsides and the bars and restaurants around here return to normal operation, I'm going to Whiskey Road in Cedar Falls for a belated St. Paddy's Day dram of Midleton Very Rare. But not before I hit my favorite Chinese buffet for lunch and a Tsingtao.

VoxRationis, Premo88, Amendm and 2 others like this.
  10. craigbelly

craigbelly Poo-Bah (1,673) Dec 31, 2015 Iowa
    Society Trader

I love the shout out to the great Thorton Melon.

Amendm likes this.
  11. AWA

AWA Defender (632) Jul 22, 2014 California
    Society

As soon as I'm allowed out of the house I'm going to Santa Adairius and drinking one of everything they have on tap. Then I'll do another lap. When they have enough of me, I'm going to take an Uber to the one in Santa Cruz and repeat. Guess we'll see what happens after that.

12. Cibsie

Cibsie Initiate (192) Jan 10, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

I'll likely start off finally cracking my Double Barrel Bourbon County with a friend I haven't been able to see in a while. Next, out in the world I'll probably head to Insight for a Mega Dankbot. Everything here is shut down until May 1st, hopefully that date holds!

VoxRationis and Amendm like this.
  13. ChangSing

ChangSing Initiate (177) May 5, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I have a Miller High Life in a 750 ml champagne style bottle, that will be my first post - lock down beer.

VoxRationis, AlcahueteJ and Amendm like this.
  14. Riff

Riff Champion (877) May 12, 2016 Virginia

Whatever is fresh at Blue Mountain when we head down for a post-pandemic dinner at our favorite spot (or if we're lucky, their Sunday brunch).

VoxRationis and Amendm like this.
  15. readyski

readyski Defender (601) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Sounds like you're gonna make up for some lost ground in a hurry :slight_smile:
    I like your style, but please stay healthy until then so you can make it happen.

Amendm and AWA like this.
  16. AWA

AWA Defender (632) Jul 22, 2014 California
    Society

Monday it will be 2 weeks since I've left my property. My wife and daughter both have compromised immune systems, so I can't really take a chance. I'm fortunate that I don't have to work and can just hibernate and mess with my old stereo equipment. But when I can get out, god help Santa Cruz.

17. Scrapss

Scrapss Crusader (762) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania

Look on the bright side...good news? I hope this will be over soon so everyone can get back to work, enjoy that first post-pandemic beer...before more damage is done to the businesses of the lower bourgeois and their employees.

So. W-H-O is saying this, so it's at least more trustworthy than, well, ya' know, who.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/30/who...-coronavirus-but-more-research-is-needed.html

So...back to the future?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1232869/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4182877/

I see they're finally starting to put the puzzle pieces together. Good.

P.S. I wonder if anyone bothered to see if Lupus patients were getting SARS-CoV-2 in less numbers than the general population? Just spitballin'.

VoxRationis, SFACRKnight and Amendm like this.
  18. traction

traction Devotee (466) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

There was going to be a beerfest in ATL last week that got cancelled due to the coronavirus. A lot of stuff that my local craft beer distributor (Modern Hops) had on deck for the fest ended up hitting limited distro. I managed to grab 4-packs of Pipeworks, Bissel Brothers, and 450 North beers. I'm waiting to crack one of the 450 North slushies because they have been on my list of beers to try for a while now. I'm sad that ATL fest got cancelled even though I wasn't attending but I am psyched for some of the great beer originally for the fest the ended up hitting distro. Silver linings I guess.

VoxRationis, AlcahueteJ and Amendm like this.
  19. Amendm

Amendm Meyvn (1,098) Jun 7, 2018 Florida
    Society

I miss restaurants, and when things return to normal I plan on hitting up my favorite local haunts that serve Wormtown's Be Hoppy. There are several such places in a five mile radius.

Nothing special about this AIPA, it just goes well with food for me. I am looking to not be cooking.

20. traction

traction Devotee (466) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

I love cooking but damn it is getting tiring cooking 3 meals a day for weeks on end now and I absolutely plan on going to be fave local place for some poutine and a brew whenever stuff opens back up.

AlcahueteJ, Amendm and Scrapss like this.
  21. beatlefan56

beatlefan56 Initiate (181) Feb 6, 2008 Pennsylvania

At the rate we're going , I'd probably say Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.

22. henrikb

henrikb Initiate (62) May 19, 2019 Wisconsin

I think it's a good thing for mental health to look forward to things for when we get to the other side. Mental health is important in this, and seems to be neglected somewhat with all the messaging around the crisis. Not saying that physical distancing should be neglected, but there should be more mental health resources as I'm sure many are struggling with most human contact taken away.

VoxRationis and Scrapss like this.
  23. schoolboy

schoolboy Poo-Bah (3,353) Dec 23, 2005 Ohio
    Society

I switched to whiskey.

Just kidding. But I have augmented with the more potent potables. I was on a cruise ship when the shit hit the fan. We were on the beautiful and newly refurbished Oasis of the Seas, on her last cruise for a while. Mine too, sadly. They let us go in Miami on the 15th. US customs could not have been more lame.

We heard on the drive back to Cleveland that all hell had broken loose in Ohio (much sooner than anywhere else on our route) so we pickup up provisions at a Piggly Wiggly in West Virginia. This included some AIPA that was over the hill (see my review of Stonewall IPA).

Since then, I've had the six Stonewalls, a couple Jackie O's OPA's left in my fridge, one or two miscellaneous singles I had, and a Great Lakes variety 12 pack I had delivered. I have yet to tap into the few bottles sitting in my aging box downstairs - mostly stouts and Belgians. The Great Lakes were really good - including the fabulous amber Vienna lager, Elliot Ness.

We have stayed isolated this whole time. Watching tons of TV, finishing my taxes, reading Wolves of the Calla (I was saving the last three books of the Dark Tower - to make them last the rest of my life). We will continue to isolate a while longer, getting delivered groceries and prepared food. I am retired and my portfolio is down about 500k, but I can handle it. Beer has been scarce for me in isolation - that is harder to handle.

Being stuck at home has made me appreciate what I have. And what I HAD.

The federal government really botched this. Idiots.

Scrapss likes this.
  24. jjayjaye

jjayjaye Poo-Bah (1,616) Sep 26, 2004 New York
    Society

Great question and better pic @Todd.
    Until it’s over, over and I can take that drive to Munster, IN or get on a plane that’s heading for Santa Cruz, San Marcos or San Diego, CA then Sam the BEER MAN has got my business. I hope my local watering holes heal from the NEIPA pandemic.

Todd likes this.
  25. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (137) May 28, 2008 Florida

Probably a pint of Yeungling, with a plate of wings at my local. They're doing carryout, but until I can hang with the gang there, it ain't happening.

VoxRationis likes this.
  26. dcook11

dcook11 Initiate (0) May 13, 2010 California

I’m planning on having a special beer to celebrate when my state (CA) ends the lock down. Any BAs know of any beers that would be appropriate for the occasion? I like most styles of beer although sours can be difficult to get in my area. Thanks!

Cheers!

VoxRationis and beergoot like this.
  27. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Meyvn (1,115) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

A nice Bottle Logic stout (FO, FF, FT, etc..)?
    Sante Adairius - Westly, West Ashley, etc..?
    Russian River - Beatification?
    The Lost Abbey - Duck Duck Gooze or Cable Car?
    A vintage Firestone-Walker bottle?
    A super fresh Pliny or three?

California has some nice beer! Whatever you decide to drink, it'll be perfect. It's the occasion that matters (so long as they don't open up prematurely). Maybe a nice California sampler with the best your state has to offer (that you can get your hands on).

Maybe that one special beer you've been holding onto for the right occasion. Seems like a worthy reason to crack it!

28. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (8,530) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

No, I'm not having any special beer. But I like the idea...

29. GoBearsWalter34

GoBearsWalter34 Poo-Bah (1,949) Aug 1, 2014 Illinois
    Society

Lagunitas Shut Down Ale??

30. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,199) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Cask ale @ Forest & Main

AlcahueteJ and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.
  31. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (2,005) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Let me know I'll meet you there.

tzieser likes this.
  32. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,199) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Sounds like a plan.

So jealous of their PA-only delivery...I saw they had a bitter in cans recently :confounded:

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  33. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (2,005) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Thought about it and looked at my wall of bourbon and imperial IPAs. Should have pulled the trigger on it

tzieser likes this.
  34. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,805) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

North Coast Pranqster.

35. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,140) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

I'm not kidding. I switched to whisk(e)y over a year ago. Of course, the coronavirus had nothing to do with the switch, but I must say having a full whisk(e)y shelf has been very comforting in these strange times.

With that said, I'm still looking forward to sitting at a bar that serves cask ale and drinking several pints when this BS ends. :wink::slight_smile: And if I get to sip Lone Star at the Continental Club one more Wednesday night with McMurtry in the house, OMG. That will be one epic evening.

Cheers!

36. pudgym29

pudgym29 Initiate (161) Mar 14, 2009 Illinois

Cannot state what with any certainty yet. It may be at a multi-tap craft beer bar, or it might be at a brewpub which does not have its own food, and for which I will have to determine whose restaurant's food to bring in.
    But then Josh Noel has pledged to throw a massive BBQ party when the pandemic is deemed manageable. The beers on offer there (which I suspect will not include Bourbon County) should be quite good. (Maybe some whalez :whale2: will wash ashore.)

37. mudbug

mudbug Defender (622) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

A Bud Light. Nothing says communal health and prosperity more than spending money on almost water. I'll have two.

VoxRationis likes this.
  38. ronald076

ronald076 Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2020 Scotland

39. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,078) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

My first beer out turned out to be an Alluvium Pilsner from Seismic brewing. A new favorite of mine. I drank it alone in a new beer garden because ibdrove by before I knew anything was open and i saw a big sign and cars in the lot. It was quite nice

VoxRationis, AlcahueteJ and Scrapss like this.
  40. Ocalafox

Ocalafox Poo-Bah (1,807) May 17, 2016 Florida
    Society Trader

It was Jai Alai a while back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.